Tron -Munsters (resized).jpg
SM (resized).jpg
MM -ATM (resized).jpg
Kiss (resized).jpg
GF and EHOH (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1143 Game release featurette video link (28 minutes long) Posted by ZMeny (1 year ago)

Post #2596 Nice review Posted by delt31 (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Daditude.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1620 1 year ago

Ok...here's my two cents:

Pros:
-The artwork looks incredible
-The leg casts are truly impressive and innovative
-The lighting looks phenomenal
-The topper and interactive knocker are just way too cool
-Game rights sound like they did it justice
-The theme is just amazing
-The music seems to be top notch
-There are tons of shots
-Plenty of toys/mechs/gimmicks

Cons (possible):

-The price/value is prohibitive for many
-I am leery of the playfield quality
-The sound package seems to be amazing...but we haven't really heard the variety (does it have enough)?
-The cartoonish nature of the sculpts vs the artwork could be a turnoff for some
-Is the code fully ready, or are there glitches

Final thoughts:

A lot remains to be seen. It is early, but this game certainly has potential to be an all-time great. I would definitely hold for more info and gameplay prior to purchasing. At 15k, I would expect full code, no PF issues, and a seamless experience...and after that...it would still be tough to plunk down that kind of green.

All in all, I hope to play it soon to see for myself. My best shot will likely be TPF since there is almost 0 chance an op is putting this on location.

#2023 1 year ago
Quoted from Rolls-Royce:

Indeed looks like Robert DeNiro … but he never had a Thompson machine gun in his hands in part II (or I don’t remember that) I just remember the .38 when he killed Don Fanucci

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It’s not deniro. It’s not
Duvall. If it were it would
Probably look like either of those guys. And it does not resemble either in the slightest.
Neither of them ever held a tommy gun in the saga or wore an Amish hat.
I’m going with random goon. Odd choice for a sling plastic.

Hey...he had a machine gun in Heat.....and they did say they were going to make it their own........

#2300 1 year ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I stopped out at Blue Moon in Madison WI tonight and got about a dozen games in on GF and feel like i can give some early thoughts on the game.
First off it appears that JJP finally figured out their flippers. I was there for over 2 hours and the flippers were crisp and snappy and felt nothing like the sluggish/mushy JJP flippers of old. I had to put Precision Flippers on my GNR at home because the stock flipper feel of JJP's flippers are dogshit. This is the first JJP game that I've enjoyed playing on route because the flippers finally feel really good to shoot. Whatever the fix is can you make this available for past games? Even if it requires buying a new board I'd do it just to have flippers that play this well.
The game looks absolutely gorgeous in person. Franchi nailed the art package and the game just looks high quality and premium similar to my GNR at home. lots of etched metal and premium touches that make the game look a step above games that other manufacturers put out. It's a great looking game and I would be perfectly content owning an LE model if the CE was out of reach.
Now for the gameplay. The game has a ton of different skill-shots (maybe too many) that you can pick from. I typically chose the "Compound Multiball" lock (the higher gate) because it can give you an instant multiball if you hit it. the gameplay itself is fast and there are a ton of shots and ball paths and it took me a couple games to kind of figure out what everything does and get a feel for the layout because it plays unlike any game I've played before which is a good thing. The layout felt refreshing and really fun to shoot. I tend to prefer Stern games, but their games all tend to have a similar feel and you kind of figure them out right away. This game just felt new and different and was a joy to shoot. I did notice that the ball save seemed shorter on this game and shooting anything on the lower half of the playfield can be deadly because of the speed and because you can have quick rebounds that send the ball to the outlanes. I figured out after a while to try and keep the ball on the upper half of the playfield until you get a multi-ball going if you can.
The rules feel like a cross between JPOTC and GNR. I'd say they feel about 50% JPOTC, 20% GNR, and 30% brand new. You pickup a job (mode) at the scoop and you can play/stack with multi-balls. You also build up the job value and can pick whether you want to cash out or keep pushing your luck which is similar to the song jackpot rules in GNR. The multi-balls feel a lot like JPOTC where once you get one going you tend to bring the other one's in and before you know you have a bunch of them running concurrently. It's not my favorite type of rule-set (my favorite Keefer games were his Stern games and WOZ) but i feel like this game improved upon what was done in games like JPOTC and GNR and made a best of both World's game. I feel like JPOTC had too many modes that all felt similar, in this game they give you fewer modes but they seem to have more distinction. It's basically JPOTC lite, with some GNR sprinkled in. You can get some pretty nice cashouts on the jobs which seem to be where most of the points come from in the game.
As far as theme goes, the game feels pretty loosely based on the Godfather theme. Yes, you get short movie clips throughout the game (mostly during jobs), and you hear the Godfather theme, but for the most part it feels like a mobster game in the World of Godfather. Similar to what Stern did with Jurassic Park. You fight bad guys and increase your influence. The jobs are based on events of the movies which is cool. They probably took the right approach as theming it too close off the game would make for a more boring game since GF isn't an action movie. The theme immersion isn't on the level of GNR, but they did a good job and made a fun game that I think people will really enjoy.
As far as the music and lights go I did cringe a bit when I saw the early gameplay video but when I played it the audio and lights seemed fine. It didn't remind me of Wonka/WOZ and the lighting didn't seem too over the top. I didn't see any rainbow lights when playing. Once again, sound and lights aren't as good as GNR, but it's still good.
In conclusion I think where the game really shines is in the layout and gameplay and the new snappy flippers are a very welcome addition. The total package on this game is fun and I think this has a good chance of being JJP's best game. It's a lot of fun and if the prices were more reasonable I would consider picking one up. Congrats to Eric, Keefer, and the rest of the JJP team on making a really fun game!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Damn you. Sir I say damn you! I am trying my hardest NOT to like this game so I don't have to shill out 15k+

You are making it difficult! Lol

#2634 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Played this game for more than 4 hours. Thrilled to support #heliconbrewery and to tip my server well b/c remember fellas, if you’re in a position to think about buying a toy for 15k, you take care of the people serving you. And shout out to hupchallenge who told me he streams and the kid can play pinball.
OK here we go.
Let me just mention upfront the thing that impressed me the most by this game - the flipper feel. THANK GOD - JJP, you did it. I was told TS4 started it but after playing that game…..maybe? Wasn’t conclusive. This game - no doubt. Everyone agreed that I played with. So JJP has finally addressed one of the biggest problems. I would love to retro fit this in my Wonka btw. But hey - most important problem fixed b/c they always pack the game more than stern and code is deep so nothing else to worry about right? Well maybe…….no.
Up front disclaimer: This is not for CE owners who are reading this and just getting triggered to defend the choice they made. This is not meant for the iceman44’s of the world also. You know - the ones who don’t care about cost, they just want the game. But I will also say that I have 15k ready to go and if I were to spend it today, I’m ready. I only mention that b/c I can easily spend this money if worth it. I also LOVE godfather. I’m not some guy living in the Midwest who has heard about GF b/c of the internet or thinks Olive Garden is good Italian. I know this movie. I love this movie.
This game is not Godfather - after 4 hrs, it’s not even close. And for Eric to say everything from GF that was significant was injected into this game is an absolute lie. Just like when those two from Flippin N Out (or sorry, SDTM!) say that shots are the new toys, they are being dishonest. But more on those dreamboats later.
So positives:
- Flippers - thank you JJP. Feel Great. Much closer to stern and kill my wonka’s.
- Shots - 29 paths so what is there not to like? Actually……well, more on that later but this is really about the initial layout. I love the godzilla bumper and the shots in general as they do feel fresh. Although there is a major SDTM shot….
- the assets from the GF, as limited as they are, are implemented well. More on this later.
- build quality…..good. I was playing with a Scooby next to me and although I think spooky is making progress, JJPs stand out. Nice touch with the translite lights around the entire thing. RIP lermods mod for this. You taught them well!
- Challenge - this game is hard. SDTM shot unless you hold that left flipper top up - which is annoying. But it’s hard and I don’t mind that. I rather a shorter player than long.
- Interrogation video clip is awesome. Same with game over, Match and extra ball.
“Areas of focus”
Major takeaway…….and I felt the same on stream. THIS IS NOT GODFATHER. I can’t make this anymore clear. Shame on JJP for taking the licensor for a ride and shame on Erik for saying all the key scenes are in this game. It’s not even close. I literally counted…….prob less than 1 min of video in total and we made it fairly far in the game. If you want to double that sure - but then you would be crazy and it still would be 2 min. What is going on Keith and Eric? I know Meryl doesn’t want Fredo but did she always say 7 second transition clips at most?
NO TOYS.
This is the most Barron JJP yet. I thought I was losing my mind after playing this for almost 4 hours. How could this feel EVEN LESS than Toy Story 4? No, it couldn’t be. First impression when I came up to the game was wow, this is the most barren game from JJP ever. And I’m not a newb. I’m someone who knows wtf is going on in this hobby. My WOZ and other games speak for that. I know what is packed. So I went over to TS4 and I was pissed. I HATE TS4 but GD - that game has more in it than GF. Proof? Jump ramp, spinning circle, toy that pops up. Garbage right for 15k CE? Well GF? A toy that spins. NOT interactive, doesn’t do anything besides look terrible in a GF game b/c it’s cartoonish and is SO out of place. Like comical b/c the rest of package has nothing in line with this sculp. But wait - you have that GF sculp right? Well it does NOTHING. Literally nothing and the lack of arms and completely different style to the toy with arms next to it, the contrast is really obvious.
And guys - diverters? Here’s my feedback on these after playing. Sure it might put the ball in 29 diff places but what’s important is what am I shooting? NOT what is coming back at me b/c that isn’t tactical. Half the time I couldn’t see where the ball was coming from but most importantly, it wasn’t better b/c of it. It certainly wasn’t a toy. Special plug to my friends at SDTM. After playing this game, I want to call out what a JOKE those two have become now that they distribute. Greg and Zach - you have my cell, you texted me earlier asking to understand more. I responded - let’s do it live for pinside! Constructive as always ; )
Call Outs - I’ll sew you up!
Look, if you think these are great call outs, then you need to check into a mental institution b/c you’re crazy and have terrible taste. yes - I’ll just say it. These call outs are borderline offensive to an Italian American like myself. It’s like they found some guys in Indiana to run through some terrible dialogue while they’re eating their dominos in the most over the top dialogue you have ever heard. Of 10 lines you’ll hear, 2 are OK, 4 are terrible and 4 are so bad, you think about turning them off. Or you’re deaf.
MBs.
Oh Keith - why does it feel like I’m getting MBs for no reason? Had the same feeling with pirates and now with GF, mbs start for who knows why. And then when one starts, another one starts quickly after. And then your score increases 10000x which leads me to feel like the only way to score big is MB and I hate that. Keith - remember Addams family - you hit that chair to start MB. How did that feel? Did the sound and light package also spice up what was something you deserved and the light show really gave you something like you never saw again in the game? That’s what MB is. Keith. Listen. Please.
Code:
Godfather of the Caribbean. Damn. Worst part about POTC (and that game is amazing) - the code. MBs feel generic. Same opening screens. No tie in to the movies (with clips, mode shots, etc) and just feel out of place. But good news - they overlap!!! Sweet!
Light Show:
Keep this short. It’s not as bad as the first clip we all saw but it’s bad. Over the top, movie setting killer. See my pics below - nice TnA color. JJP - how does no one raise their hand and say this is just not the godfather when you all sit around eating dinner…….at Olive Garden?
Conclusion:
I can spend 15k tomorrow and have this game. No worries….and the same for many here. Some of these folks are reading this right now, nodding their heads while others reading this, never posted before and never will are also agreeing. Listen - we deserve BETTER. Stop giving these companies money for a product that is worse than before. Especially when that product was twice less. This is not opinion. Anyone that says GF is worth 15k is lying to themselves. You and I both know that. I’m not going to reiterate my thoughts here b/c up above - you how I feel. Many positives but much more negatives. But PLEASE try the game yourself and report back.
On a side note - I played Scooby as well. Spooky is def beginning to build a nicer product. Halloween imo was gorgeous but Scooby as a wide, if you like the theme - gorgeous. Gamplay? Incredibly boring. They said let’s go back to normal b/c we were too hard before. Well, they went WAY too much to the easy side. Game is super easy but the worst part is the upper. SUPER slow. So I don’t know. It’s 10k and it looks gorgeous. Gameplay not good but clips and sounds that are MUCH better implemented. You can’t go AS wrong with this one but still - if you don’t need it now, wait a year and save 1k+
[quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image]

Is it just me, or have you officially become the pinside king of ranters?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 649.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Hardware
Pinball Haven

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Machine - Pre-order Spot
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 11,999.99
Cabinet - Other
Jorge’s Arcade Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

8,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Arroyo Grande, CA
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Grapevine, TX

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Daditude.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/godfather-hype-discussion-thread?tu=Daditude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.