WOZ-Alien (resized).jpg
TZ to BM66 (resized).jpg
Tron -Munsters (resized).jpg
SM (resized).jpg
MM -ATM (resized).jpg
Kiss (resized).jpg
GF and EHOH (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 5,127 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 103.
#2601 1 year ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

lots of credit to the Frenchmen that came up with it.

Dutchmen

#2602 1 year ago

Dutchpeople? (fixed it in my post)

Looking at their site about the progression of the design and seeing this final iteration made me appreciate the artwork much more

#2603 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

I’m not some guy living in the Midwest

Okay now I'm triggered. For your info I've only been to Olive Garden once in my life!

#2605 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Played this game for more than 4 hours. Thrilled to support #heliconbrewery and to tip my server well b/c remember fellas, if you’re in a position to think about buying a toy for 15k, you take care of the people serving you. And shout out to hupchallenge who told me he streams and the kid can play pinball.
OK here we go.
Let me just mention upfront the thing that impressed me the most by this game - the flipper feel. THANK GOD - JJP, you did it. I was told TS4 started it but after playing that game…..maybe? Wasn’t conclusive. This game - no doubt. Everyone who I played this game with mentioned the same. So JJP has finally addressed one of the biggest problems. I would love to retro fit this in my Wonka btw. But hey - most important problem fixed b/c they always pack the game more than stern and code is deep so nothing else to worry about right? Well maybe…….no.
Up front disclaimer: This is not for CE owners who are reading this and just getting triggered to defend the choice they made. This is not meant for the iceman44’s of the world also. You know - the ones who don’t care about cost, they just want the game. But I will also say that I have 15k ready to go and if I were to spend it today, I’m ready. I only mention that b/c I can easily spend this money if worth it. I also LOVE godfather. I’m not some guy living in the Midwest who has heard about GF b/c of the internet or thinks Olive Garden is good Italian. I know this movie. I love this movie.
This game is not Godfather - after 4 hrs, it’s not even close. And for Eric to say everything from GF that was significant was injected into this game is an absolute lie. Just like when those two from Flippin N Out (or sorry, SDTM!) say that shots are the new toys, they are being dishonest. But more on those dreamboats later.
So positives:
- Flippers - thank you JJP. Feel Great. Much closer to stern and kill my wonka’s.
- Shots - 29 paths so what is there not to like? Actually……well, more on that later but this is really about the initial layout. I love the godzilla bumper and the shots in general as they do feel fresh. Although there is a major SDTM shot….
- the assets from the GF, as limited as they are, are implemented well. More on this later.
- build quality…..good. I was playing with a Scooby next to me and although I think spooky is making progress, JJPs stand out. Nice touch with the translite lights around the entire thing. RIP lermods mod for this. You taught them well!
- Challenge - this game is hard. SDTM shot unless you hold that left flipper top up - which is annoying. But it’s hard and I don’t mind that. I rather a shorter player than long.
- Interrogation video clip is awesome. Same with game over, Match and extra ball.
“Areas of focus”
Major takeaway…….and I felt the same on stream. THIS IS NOT GODFATHER. I can’t make this anymore clear. Shame on JJP for taking the licensor for a ride and shame on Erik for saying all the key scenes are in this game. It’s not even close. I literally counted…….prob less than 1 min of video in total and we made it fairly far in the game. If you want to double that sure - but then you would be crazy and it still would be 2 min. What is going on Keith and Eric? I know Merrily doesn’t want Fredo but did she always say 7 second transition clips at most?
NO TOYS.
This is the most Barron JJP yet. I thought I was losing my mind after playing this for almost 4 hours. How could this feel EVEN LESS than Toy Story 4? No, it couldn’t be. First impression when I came up to the game was wow, this is the most barren game from JJP ever. And I’m not a newb. I’m someone who knows wtf is going on in this hobby. My WOZ and other games speak for that. I know what is packed. So I went over to TS4 and I was pissed. I HATE TS4 but GD - that game has more in it than GF. Proof? Jump ramp, spinning circle, toy that pops up. Garbage right for 15k CE? Well GF? A toy that spins. NOT interactive, doesn’t do anything besides look terrible in a GF game b/c it’s cartoonish and is SO out of place. Like comical b/c the rest of package has nothing in line with this sculp. But wait - you have that GF sculp right? Well it does NOTHING. Literally nothing.
And guys - diverter? Here’s my feedback on this after playing. Sure it might put the ball in 29 diff places but what’s important is what am I shooting? NOT what is coming back at me b/c that isn’t tactical. Half the time I couldn’t see where the ball was coming from but most importantly, it wasn’t better b/c of it. It certainly wasn’t a toy. Special plug to my friends at SDTM. After playing this game, I want to call out what a JOKE those two have become now that they distribute. Greg and Zach - you have my cell, you texted me earlier asking to understand more. I responded - let’s do it live for pinside! Constructive as always ; )
Call Outs - I’ll sew you up!
Look, if you think these are great call outs, then you need to check into a mental institution b/c you’re crazy and have terrible taste. yes - I’ll just say it. These call outs are borderline offensive to an Italian American like myself. It’s like they found some guys in Indiana to run through some terrible dialogue while they’re eating their dominos in the most over the top dialogue you have ever heard. Of 10 lines you’ll hear, 2 are OK, 4 are terrible and 4 are so bad, you think about turning them off. Or you’re deaf.
MBs.
Oh Keith - why? Why when I play do I feel like I’m getting MBs for no reason? Had the same feeling with pirates and now with GF, mbs start for who knows why. And then when one starts another. And then your score increases 10x which leads me to feel like the only way to score big is MB and I hate that. Keith - remember Addams family - you hit that chair to start MB. How did that feel? Did the sound and light package also spice up what was something you deserved and the light show really gave you something like you never saw again in the game? That’s what MB is. Keith. Listen. Please.
Code:
Godfather of the Caribbean. Damn. Worst part about POTC (and that game is amazing) - the code. MBs feel generic. Same opening screens. No tie in to the movies (with clips, mode shots, etc) and just feel out of place. But good news - they overlap!!! Sweet!
Light Show:
Keep this short. It’s not as bad as the first clip we all saw but it’s bad. Over the top, movie setting killer. See my pics. JJP - how does no one raise their hand and say this is just not the godfather when you all sit around eating dinner…….at Olive Garden?
Conclusion:
I can spend 15k tomorrow and have this game. No worries….and the same for may here. Some of these folks are reading this right now, nodding their heads while others reading this, never posted before and never will are also agreeing. Listen - you deserve BETTER. Stop giving these companies money for a product that is worse than before. Especially when that product was twice less. This is not opinion. Anyone that says GF is worth 15k is lying to themselves. You and I both know that. I’m not going to reiterate my thoughts here b/c up above - you how I feel. Many positives but much more negatives. But PLEASE try the game yourself and report back.
On a side note - I played Scooby as well. Spooky is def beginning to build a nicer product. Halloween imo was gorgeous but Scooby as a wide, if you like the theme - gorgeous. Gamplay? Incredibly boring. They said let’s go back to normal b/c we were too hard before. Well, they went WAY too much to the easy side. Game is super easy but the worst part is the upper. SUPER slow. So I don’t know. It’s 10k and it looks gorgeous. Gameplay not good but clips and sounds that are MUCH better implemented. You can’t go AS wrong with this one but still - if you don’t need it now, wait a year and save 1k+

Well thought out explanation and pretty much confirms what we’ve now seen from Karl’s and JJP’s SDTM stream shown tonight. Originally thought SDTM gave us some good information in their JJP interview sizzle reel. But now we know it’s just another “SDTM Spindoctored Shillers Side Show” video from Zack and Greg posing as SDTM/distro/sycophants of JJP. But hey it makes for a fun Looney Tunes Bugsy style ride of a pinball game.

#2607 1 year ago

I definitely put more weight on Karl DeAngelo’s review. He thought it was a blast, personal communication. One of the best out there.

#2608 1 year ago

Well thank my buddy Doug from one Texan to another.

Calling names too Doug? Drinking again??? We all know showing games in this forum is not good, unless you want to show off how much money you’ve spent Doug?

#2609 1 year ago

Thanks for the impressions and detailed post @delt31. Just wanted to highlight this one part because it made me think:

Quoted from delt31:

And guys - diverters? Here’s my feedback on these after playing. Sure it might put the ball in 29 diff places but what’s important is what am I shooting? NOT what is coming back at me b/c that isn’t tactical. Half the time I couldn’t see where the ball was coming from but most importantly, it wasn’t better b/c of it. It certainly wasn’t a toy.

One of my all time favorite games is still The Shadow. Two player-controlled diverters that are imo one of the most satisfying physical experiences in pinball. They look cool, they even sound cool, they feel good, they change the way you move the ball around, you can combo off them, but most importantly you control them. You choose where to send the ball. It's an interactive experience. Call it a toy, a mech, whatever, I don't care, it's fun.

I'm definitely pro-diverter, and pro shots that can change.

But I think there needs to be some level of control or predictability about them to feel good. I'm not convinced that shooting the ball and not knowing how it's going to come back at you is fun. Or at the very least it needs to be done with some level of logic or restraint.

I once had a conversation with Lyman (RIP) about why he didn't like subways. His philosophy was that you should always be able to see the ball, or know where it was going to come from. It goes into a scoop out of view? It comes back from that scoop. You don't have to agree with him, but I see his point, and I think if you're going to break that kinetic contract with the player it needs to feel justified in some way, and they should be able to learn the behavior if the ball appears to teleport or come back in an unexpected fashion.

#2610 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Thanks for the impressions and detailed post delt31. Just wanted to highlight this one part because it made me think:

One of my all time favorite games is still The Shadow. Two player-controlled diverters that are imo one of the most satisfying physical experiences in pinball. They look cool, they even sound cool, they feel good, they change the way you move the ball around, you can combo off them, but most importantly you control them. You choose where to send the ball. It's an interactive experience. Call it a toy, a mech, whatever, I don't care, it's fun.
I'm definitely pro-diverter, and pro shots that can change.
But I think there needs to be some level of control or predictability about them to feel good. I'm not convinced that shooting the ball and not knowing how it's going to come back at you is fun. Or at the very least it needs to be done with some level of logic or restraint.
I once had a conversation with Lyman (RIP) about why he didn't like subways. His philosophy was that you should always be able to see the ball, or know where it was going to come from. It goes into a scoop out of view? It comes back from that scoop. You don't have to agree with him, but I see his point, and I think if you're going to break that kinetic contract with the player it needs to feel justified in some way, and they should be able to learn the behavior if the ball appears to teleport or come back in an unexpected fashion.

Maybe JJP will hire you Aurich.

Great ideas.

#2611 1 year ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

The hot rails are not as obnoxious in person as they are top down in a stream.

Yeah this is something people need to realize, that top down view is like looking up at pinstadiums from underneath, going to be very bright. From a player's view they won't be as noticeable.

#2612 1 year ago
Quoted from dts:

I definitely put more weight on Karl DeAngelo’s review. He thought it was a blast, personal communication. One of the best out there.

You think DTS? You saw what you saw.

This guy is part of group #1

#2613 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You think DTS? You saw what you saw.
This guy is part of group #1

Doug, none of us are listening to your inane labeling or putting fellow pinsiders into your group mocking scenarios. Come on, discuss the pros and cons like the rest of us do with some modicum of decorum. It’s fine you love GF and others don’t.

#2614 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Unless they're using a random number generator to determine where to position the divertors, there will be logic and predictability to where the ball goes.
Some games require more time than others to figure out what's going on. STTNG helps you by turning on a flasher where the ball is about to appear.
I think all games are better in a home environment, but again, some more than others.

#2615 1 year ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Doug, none of us are listening to your inane labeling or putting fellow pinsiders in your mocking group scenario. Come on, discuss the pros and cons like the rest of us do with some modicum of decorum. It’s good you love GF and others don’t.

Group #1.

That’s you with no pins. Lol

Take your seat at the table

#2616 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm definitely pro-diverter, and pro shots that can change. But I think there needs to be some level of control or predictability about them to feel good.

Yup. Think Whirlwind- lets you select ramp up or down with cellar shots.

#2617 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Maybe JJP will hire you Aurich.

I think they would probably say "nah" to that idea, they must think I'm a giant asshole by now.

Quoted from dts:

I definitely put more weight on Karl DeAngelo’s review.

I love Karl, and I respect his take a lot. The last time I played at his place he had lightning flippers on his LOTR because it was too easy for him otherwise. He's not a mortal. I suspect any game that keeps him on his toes probably feels great for a change, so maybe the more random diverter action is a good thing for him.

Regardless, I'm going to get out to On Tilt to play it myself as soon as I can find the free time for the drive. Maybe I'll see him there!

#2618 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I think they would probably say "nah" to that idea, they must think I'm a giant asshole by now.

I love Karl, and I respect his take a lot. The last time I played at his place he had lightning flippers on his LOTR because it was too easy for him otherwise. He's not a mortal. I suspect any game that keeps him on his toes probably feels great for a change, so maybe the more random diverter action is a good thing for him.
Regardless, I'm going to get out to On Tilt to play it myself as soon as I can find the free time for the drive. Maybe I'll see him there!

Appreciate the opinion Aurich but guessing you are right. They don’t care?

#2619 1 year ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Unless they're using a random number generator to determine where to position the divertors, there will be logic and predictability to where the ball goes.

There's clearly a logic, in the feature video they talked about using the diverters to help the player even, directing the ball towards directions that lead to shots for a particular mode etc. Which is 100% a cool idea, but if it's really complicated it's going to be extremely difficult to remember how the ball is going to return on the fly if there isn't some real indication ahead of time.

Time will tell how it feels with some experience. But it's clear that if Karl was caught off guard that new players are going to be surprised by it.

I just think it's one of those things, like RGB lighting, that probably requires a certain amount of restraint and a light touch to not feel like too much of a good thing.

#2620 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Appreciate the opinion Aurich but guessing you are right. They don’t care?

Probably not!

On the other hand you remember what happened when they posted that first Hobbit playfield. They do pay attention. Maybe not to my lone voice, not trying to puff myself up, but if enough of us are talking about things you never know how you might influence the refs.

Regardless, I'm not trying to campaign for change at JJP. Just trying to discuss what makes good pinball or not with people because I think it's interesting. Never know who's reading.

When I type I'm also thinking out loud, and I appreciate people responding or bringing up other examples, helps frame my own thinking. Who knows, maybe one day I will make that game for people to opine on.

Cheers Ice!

#2621 1 year ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Wow Scorbit is being taken out of all games

Out of all games moving forward? Or are they gonna brick older JJPs as well? JJP never updates their code so not sure how this will work.

#2622 1 year ago

I skipped TS4 so my last JJP was GNR so I don't know the answer to this- I see that JJP did away with the plug in headphone jack on the front... can we now connect via bluetooth or any other means or do I need to buy an add-on audio part?

EDIT- I just noticed that is IS there in the pics, my bad! I was thinking it was attached to the coin door like my Sterns.

I would like to know if there is bluetooth headphone connectivity though if anyone knows

I like to play late at night so I install headphone jacks on all my machines if I can...

#2623 1 year ago

never owned a JJP, but I thought they had blutooth since Dialed In?

#2624 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

There's clearly a logic, in the feature video they talked about using the diverters to help the player even, directing the ball towards directions that lead to shots for a particular mode etc. Which is 100% a cool idea, but if it's really complicated it's going to be extremely difficult to remember how the ball is going to return on the fly if there isn't some real indication ahead of time.

Just rewatched some of Karl's stream. They are using the flashers to indicate where the ball is coming from like STTNG.
Biggest issue to me, which someone else also mentioned, is the SDTM if you don't use the upper flipper. Very beginner unfriendly. It was even tripping up Karl, though I guess it will shorten multiballs. If I remember correctly, Lawlor thought he made a mistake with that same shot trajectory in TZ. I didn't think someone would repeat it. It's even worse in GF with multiple diverters directing the ball to that path.
If there isn't a ball save setting for this, I think there should be. The release out of the gangster went SDTM a lot too. A pet peeve is getting punished for a made shot.

#2625 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

I skipped TS4 so my last JJP was GNR so I don't know the answer to this- I see that JJP did away with the plug in headphone jack on the front... can we now connect via bluetooth or any other means or do I need to buy an add-on audio part?
EDIT- I just noticed that is IS there in the pics, my bad! I was thinking it was attached to the coin door like my Sterns.
I would like to know if there is bluetooth headphone connectivity though if anyone knows
I like to play late at night so I install headphone jacks on all my machines if I can...

From the JJP site:

Jersey Jack Pinball Standards:
JJP RGB LED Hotrails, Shaker Motor, Invisiglass, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, High Score Camera, Backglass lighting

I'm sure the bluetooth is via a dongle, like GnR. I wonder if it finally supports airpods, though...

#2626 1 year ago

Shouldn't there be a GF club thread already? Fastest hype to club transition ever. I know it feels like we haven't had enough time to trash the game to it's full potential, but some of the more sensitive JJP fan boys might feel safer in there.

#2627 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Watching the stream and listening to the audio. The modern pinball trend of constantly telling you what to do is just not my flavor. This game never shuts up. Shoot the left ramp! Shoot the targets! Shoot the right orbit! Shoot the ramps! Hit the left ramp! Hit the gangster! It's just constantly talking to you.

FYI. Noticed on Karl's stream, "Call Outs" were set to 'Often' and "Protips" were set to on.

#2628 1 year ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

FYI. Noticed on Karl's stream, "Call Outs" were set to 'Often' and "Protips" were set to on.

Here's the screen from later in his stream (when he turned adult mode on) with those highlighted...

GF-settings (resized).jpgGF-settings (resized).jpg

#2629 1 year ago

Played quite a few games on the LE at 1up Colfax this evening and here’s my opinion, not that it matters much. Flippers were the best for any JJP game I have played to date which is a big plus. It did not feel like I was playing a Godfather themed game. Gangster game with other gangster rivals yes but the multi balls make no sense and were way too easy to get. Soft plunge into the compound lock skill shot and you start compound multi ball. Skill shot the fountain and one shot to the left ramp started Sicily multi-ball. WTF does compound, a water fountain, and sicily have to do with Godfather? I was just shooting around hitting jackpots and it was uninspiring. The modes are started by hitting the scoop but I couldn’t hear shit over the load music and people chatter. I’m sure my opinion would change if I had it in a home setting. In all fairness I would have to play it in a quiter setting to hear the game and make a better assessment of the modes and multi/balls. Overall a decent shooter but not worth the price tag. Glad I can just dump some money in it and play it locally but I left not feeling all that excited about it. Didn’t give me the gotta play it one more time feeling. I’ll look forward to playing it again more and hopefully have more fun with it. Great thing about location pinball here in CO, I don’t have to buy the game to enjoy flipping it.

#2630 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Coil counting is old news.
It’s all about controllable ball paths now!

Counting coils is illegal in Vegas.

#2631 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Played this game for more than 4 hours. Thrilled to support #heliconbrewery and to tip my server well b/c remember fellas, if you’re in a position to think about buying a toy for 15k, you take care of the people serving you. And shout out to hupchallenge who told me he streams and the kid can play pinball.
OK here we go.
Let me just mention upfront the thing that impressed me the most by this game - the flipper feel. THANK GOD - JJP, you did it. I was told TS4 started it but after playing that game…..maybe? Wasn’t conclusive. This game - no doubt. Everyone agreed that I played with. So JJP has finally addressed one of the biggest problems. I would love to retro fit this in my Wonka btw. But hey - most important problem fixed b/c they always pack the game more than stern and code is deep so nothing else to worry about right? Well maybe…….no.
Up front disclaimer: This is not for CE owners who are reading this and just getting triggered to defend the choice they made. This is not meant for the iceman44’s of the world also. You know - the ones who don’t care about cost, they just want the game. But I will also say that I have 15k ready to go and if I were to spend it today, I’m ready. I only mention that b/c I can easily spend this money if worth it. I also LOVE godfather. I’m not some guy living in the Midwest who has heard about GF b/c of the internet or thinks Olive Garden is good Italian. I know this movie. I love this movie.
This game is not Godfather - after 4 hrs, it’s not even close. And for Eric to say everything from GF that was significant was injected into this game is an absolute lie. Just like when those two from Flippin N Out (or sorry, SDTM!) say that shots are the new toys, they are being dishonest. But more on those dreamboats later.
So positives:
- Flippers - thank you JJP. Feel Great. Much closer to stern and kill my wonka’s.
- Shots - 29 paths so what is there not to like? Actually……well, more on that later but this is really about the initial layout. I love the godzilla bumper and the shots in general as they do feel fresh. Although there is a major SDTM shot….
- the assets from the GF, as limited as they are, are implemented well. More on this later.
- build quality…..good. I was playing with a Scooby next to me and although I think spooky is making progress, JJPs stand out. Nice touch with the translite lights around the entire thing. RIP lermods mod for this. You taught them well!
- Challenge - this game is hard. SDTM shot unless you hold that left flipper top up - which is annoying. But it’s hard and I don’t mind that. I rather a shorter player than long.
- Interrogation video clip is awesome. Same with game over, Match and extra ball.
“Areas of focus”
Major takeaway…….and I felt the same on stream. THIS IS NOT GODFATHER. I can’t make this anymore clear. Shame on JJP for taking the licensor for a ride and shame on Erik for saying all the key scenes are in this game. It’s not even close. I literally counted…….prob less than 1 min of video in total and we made it fairly far in the game. If you want to double that sure - but then you would be crazy and it still would be 2 min. What is going on Keith and Eric? I know Meryl doesn’t want Fredo but did she always say 7 second transition clips at most?
NO TOYS.
This is the most Barron JJP yet. I thought I was losing my mind after playing this for almost 4 hours. How could this feel EVEN LESS than Toy Story 4? No, it couldn’t be. First impression when I came up to the game was wow, this is the most barren game from JJP ever. And I’m not a newb. I’m someone who knows wtf is going on in this hobby. My WOZ and other games speak for that. I know what is packed. So I went over to TS4 and I was pissed. I HATE TS4 but GD - that game has more in it than GF. Proof? Jump ramp, spinning circle, toy that pops up. Garbage right for 15k CE? Well GF? A toy that spins. NOT interactive, doesn’t do anything besides look terrible in a GF game b/c it’s cartoonish and is SO out of place. Like comical b/c the rest of package has nothing in line with this sculp. But wait - you have that GF sculp right? Well it does NOTHING. Literally nothing and the lack of arms and completely different style to the toy with arms next to it, the contrast is really obvious.
And guys - diverters? Here’s my feedback on these after playing. Sure it might put the ball in 29 diff places but what’s important is what am I shooting? NOT what is coming back at me b/c that isn’t tactical. Half the time I couldn’t see where the ball was coming from but most importantly, it wasn’t better b/c of it. It certainly wasn’t a toy. Special plug to my friends at SDTM. After playing this game, I want to call out what a JOKE those two have become now that they distribute. Greg and Zach - you have my cell, you texted me earlier asking to understand more. I responded - let’s do it live for pinside! Constructive as always ; )
Look, if you think these are great call outs, then you need to check into a mental institution b/c you’re crazy and have terrible taste. yes - I’ll just say it. These call outs are borderline offensive to an Italian American like myself. It’s like they found some guys in Indiana to run through some terrible dialogue while they’re eating their dominos in the most over the top dialogue you have ever heard. Of 10 lines you’ll hear, 2 are OK, 4 are terrible and 4 are so bad, you think about turning them off. Or you’re deaf.
MBs.
Oh Keith - why does it feel like I’m getting MBs for no reason? Had the same feeling with pirates and now with GF, mbs start for who knows why. And then when one starts, another one starts quickly after. And then your score increases 10000x which leads me to feel like the only way to score big is MB and I hate that. Keith - remember Addams family - you hit that chair to start MB. How did that feel? Did the sound and light package also spice up what was something you deserved and the light show really gave you something like you never saw again in the game? That’s what MB is. Keith. Listen. Please.
Code:
Godfather of the Caribbean. Damn. Worst part about POTC (and that game is amazing) - the code. MBs feel generic. Same opening screens. No tie in to the movies (with clips, mode shots, etc) and just feel out of place. But good news - they overlap!!! Sweet!
Light Show:
Keep this short. It’s not as bad as the first clip we all saw but it’s bad. Over the top, movie setting killer. See my pics below - nice TnA color. JJP - how does no one raise their hand and say this is just not the godfather when you all sit around eating dinner…….at Olive Garden?
Conclusion:
I can spend 15k tomorrow and have this game. No worries….and the same for many here. Some of these folks are reading this right now, nodding their heads while others reading this, never posted before and never will are also agreeing. Listen - we deserve BETTER. Stop giving these companies money for a product that is worse than before. Especially when that product was twice less. This is not opinion. Anyone that says GF is worth 15k is lying to themselves. You and I both know that. I’m not going to reiterate my thoughts here b/c up above - you how I feel. Many positives but much more negatives. But PLEASE try the game yourself and report back.
On a side note - I played Scooby as well. Spooky is def beginning to build a nicer product. Halloween imo was gorgeous but Scooby as a wide, if you like the theme - gorgeous. Gamplay? Incredibly boring. They said let’s go back to normal b/c we were too hard before. Well, they went WAY too much to the easy side. Game is super easy but the worst part is the upper. SUPER slow. So I don’t know. It’s 10k and it looks gorgeous. Gameplay not good but clips and sounds that are MUCH better implemented. You can’t go AS wrong with this one but still - if you don’t need it now, wait a year and save 1k+
[quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image]

If I played any game for 4+ hours I would be ready to set it on fire.

#2632 1 year ago

Highly valuable information for the designers to have a player like Karl put down a two hour session like that. Completely blank. No previous experience. I wonder how much of that the designers can have during the design phase. Likely very little. And too little. Thanks, Karl.

I think it is fair to critic as well. I must say I wish JJP would stop with this everything-is-stackable mantra.

I don't mind a weak 2-ball multiball being able to be used as a tool to build other things to in the game. But this "everything" just becomes one be mess of an experience. Where you have not learned what did what. And what started what. Which is actually bad for hooking in players to want to play again.

The pleasure as a player to know you have another multiball or mode ready when starting a multiball is gone. Maybe I want to save an MB for a certain mode stacking. Maybe a want to play that MB by itself to play it with precision.

Also, I have to say that the term "compound" as used in this game was a poor choice. They should have gone with "mansion" or maybe just "house". Even "estate" would have been better.

#2633 1 year ago

You are just salty bc no CEs for Denmark

#2634 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

OK here we go.
Let me just mention upfront the thing that impressed me the most by this game - the flipper feel. THANK GOD - JJP, you did it. I was told TS4 started it but after playing that game…..maybe? Wasn’t conclusive. This game - no doubt. Everyone agreed that I played with. So JJP has finally addressed one of the biggest problems. I would love to retro fit this in my Wonka btw. But hey - most important problem fixed b/c they always pack the game more than stern and code is deep so nothing else to worry about right? Well maybe…….no.
So positives:
“Areas of focus”
Major takeaway…….and I felt the same on stream. THIS IS NOT GODFATHER. I can’t make this anymore clear. Shame on JJP for taking the licensor for a ride and shame on Erik for saying all the key scenes are in this game. It’s not even close. I literally counted…….prob less than 1 min of video in total and we made it fairly far in the game. If you want to double that sure - but then you would be crazy and it still would be 2 min. What is going on Keith and Eric? I know Meryl doesn’t want Fredo but did she always say 7 second transition clips at most?
NO TOYS.
This is the most Barron JJP yet. I thought I was losing my mind after playing this for almost 4 hours. How could this feel EVEN LESS than Toy Story 4? No, it couldn’t be. First impression when I came up to the game was wow, this is the most barren game from JJP ever. And I’m not a newb. I’m someone who knows wtf is going on in this hobby. My WOZ and other games speak for that. I know what is packed. So I went over to TS4 and I was pissed. I HATE TS4 but GD - that game has more in it than GF. Proof? Jump ramp, spinning circle, toy that pops up. Garbage right for 15k CE? Well GF? A toy that spins. NOT interactive, doesn’t do anything besides look terrible in a GF game b/c it’s cartoonish and is SO out of place. Like comical b/c the rest of package has nothing in line with this sculp. But wait - you have that GF sculp right? Well it does NOTHING. Literally nothing and the lack of arms and completely different style to the toy with arms next to it, the contrast is really obvious.
And guys - diverters? Here’s my feedback on these after playing. Sure it might put the ball in 29 diff places but what’s important is what am I shooting? NOT what is coming back at me b/c that isn’t tactical. Half the time I couldn’t see where the ball was coming from but most importantly, it wasn’t better b/c of it. It certainly wasn’t a toy. Special plug to my friends at SDTM. After playing this game, I want to call out what a JOKE those two have become now that they distribute. Greg and Zach - you have my cell, you texted me earlier asking to understand more. I responded - let’s do it live for pinside! Constructive as always ; )
MBs.
Oh Keith - why does it feel like I’m getting MBs for no reason? Had the same feeling with pirates and now with GF, mbs start for who knows why. And then when one starts, another one starts quickly after. And then your score increases 10000x which leads me to feel like the only way to score big is MB and I hate that. Keith - remember Addams family - you hit that chair to start MB. How did that feel? Did the sound and light package also spice up what was something you deserved and the light show really gave you something like you never saw again in the game? That’s what MB is. Keith. Listen. Please.
Code:
Light Show:
Keep this short. It’s not as bad as the first clip we all saw but it’s bad. Over the top, movie setting killer. See my pics below - nice TnA color. JJP - how does no one raise their hand and say this is just not the godfather when you all sit around eating dinner…….at Olive Garden?
Conclusion:
I can spend 15k tomorrow and have this game. No worries….and the same for many here. Some of these folks are reading this right now, nodding their heads while others reading this, never posted before and never will are also agreeing. Listen - we deserve BETTER. Stop giving these companies money for a product that is worse than before. Especially when that product was twice less. This is not opinion. Anyone that says GF is worth 15k is lying to themselves. You and I both know that. I’m not going to reiterate my thoughts here b/c up above - you how I feel. Many positives but much more negatives. But PLEASE try the game yourself and report back.
[quoted image]

Is it just me, or have you officially become the pinside king of ranters?

#2635 1 year ago

Sounds exactly like a JJP game with all the twinkle toes sounds.

But does not sound like a Godfather game.

Looks a like a goofy gangster game with a Bugs Bunny style gangster guy that turns and shoots.

#2636 1 year ago
Quoted from Daditude:Is it just me, or have you officially become the pinside king of ranters?

He just joined the Italian American Civil Rights League that doesn’t feel itself represented correctly in the godfather

#2637 1 year ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni2:

Out of all games moving forward? Or are they gonna brick older JJPs as well? JJP never updates their code so not sure how this will work.

I’d have to rewatch the stream, but I’m pretty sure they said Scorbit will either be removed from existing games or it will no longer be compatible, if that’s even possible. That’s funny thought, it would require an update lol

#2638 1 year ago

What I’m hearing matches up to what I’m seeing.

“Keefer Multiball Johnson” coded so many good games and then just fell into this stacking random generic multiball trap the last couple games. It really ruins the experience. Who the hell wants to be in constant multiball. Let alone a 6 ball MB when you’ve only been playing 5 minutes.

I’m out on a NIB until I play it. Luckily Automated has one in their showroom so I’ll go check it out. Anyone want to make a trip?

Last thing. Throw some Precision Flippers on your JJP games, it is a night and day difference for the better. Put them on all your games.

#2639 1 year ago

Watched Karl stream.

Game looks beautiful, shoots fantastic.

Constructive feedback.

Sound, sound, sound.

Please abandon the awful carnival sounds, they are so unbelievably grating.

Game was advertised with the awesome Slash solo, and guessing you don't hear it until deep into the game?

Maybe an idea that every player hears at least a minute of it at start of the game?

Clearly, it's the best music in the game, as it was used to sell the game.

Might sell more games if everyone is drawn into the game with the Slash intro?

#2640 1 year ago

Strong opinions in both directions make all the sense in the world- at this price point, with the competition, limited capital in homes, limited space in homes. Just glad I have an excuse to get most of them being an operator.

After 9 years of growing the collection, it never gets old hitting the “add to collection” button. See you in the owner’s thread.

33C0C10F-0AF9-40F1-9854-D4428AFFF4E9.jpeg33C0C10F-0AF9-40F1-9854-D4428AFFF4E9.jpeg
#2641 1 year ago

Why is the owners club thread still locked ? Games have been in hand for 4-5 days. robin can help open it.

#2642 1 year ago
Quoted from dts:

He also cannot risk tarnishing his relationship with them so he can get more machines. Within literally 5 seconds he started a multiball and didn't know how or why. I would have been like, "well wtf is this?"

#2643 1 year ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

He also cannot risk tarnishing his relationship with them so he can get more machines. Within literally 5 seconds he started a multiball and didn't know how or why. I would have been like, "well wtf is this?"

That’s not his machine. It’s Shane’s at AYCE Gogi. Shane gets everything.

#2644 1 year ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Watched Karl stream.
Game looks beautiful, shoots fantastic.
Constructive feedback.
Sound, sound, sound.
Please abandon the awful carnival sounds, they are so unbelievably grating.
Game was advertised with the awesome Slash solo, and guessing you don't hear it until deep into the game?
Maybe an idea that every player hears at least a minute of it at start of the game?
Clearly, it's the best music in the game, as it was used to sell the game.
Might sell more games if everyone is drawn into the game with the Slash intro?

This. Where is Slash? That is the coolest part of the audio...

#2645 1 year ago
Quoted from kermit24:

That’s not his machine. It’s Shane’s at AYCE Gogi. Shane gets everything.

I stand corrected. Thank you. In this case he must really enjoy it.

#2646 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Mid game spoiler - just like the godfather I remembered.
[quoted image]

Is that a drop target next to the right outlane?! So it can pass through to shooter lane? Smart if so.

#2647 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

This would have been better as Scarface, the sculpt in the middle could be Tony instead of a cartoon gangster and he could shout "say hello to my little friend!" and spray the playfield when you start multiball. Scarface posters were so popular when I was younger, my generation would eat it up.
[quoted image]

This 100%. Love Scarface and Pacino.

#2648 1 year ago

JJP need to listen to all the criticism here. They have the potential to create the world's best pinball experiences, but they're falling short and making silly mistakes.

Many, many years ago I created a remake of Bally's Old Chicago, adding a new audio package and rewriting the rules for a more engaging and fun 'mafia' experience. It was to set the trend for the next 12 years of my pinball career - remaking old classics.

Point is, JJP didn't need The Godfather license at all. In fact, the game would've been so much better without it. The freedom you have without licensing restrictions will allow the creative team to design incredible gameplay experiences - the sky is the limit (see the critically acclaimed Mafia video game series; not a whiff of the Corleone family anywhere).

Licenses can be a blessing... but a terrible curse if mis-managed: Brain De Palma's Scarface - HELL YES; Coppola's Godfather - NO, NO, NO.

JJP does seem to have an identity crisis - are they making video slot machines or pinball machines? I can imagine fat old ladies walking up to this machine with a tub full of quarters, hoping to win a jackpot.

#2649 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

OK here we go.
So positives:
“Areas of focus”
NO TOYS.
And guys - diverters? Here’s my feedback on these after playing. Sure it might put the ball in 29 diff places but what’s important is what am I shooting? NOT what is coming back at me b/c that isn’t tactical. Half the time I couldn’t see where the ball was coming from but most importantly, it wasn’t better b/c of it. It certainly wasn’t a toy. Special plug to my friends at SDTM. After playing this game, I want to call out what a JOKE it now is as they are distributors. Greg and Zach - you have my cell, you texted me earlier asking to understand more. I responded - let’s do it live for pinside! Constructive as always ; )
MBs.
Code:
Light Show:
Conclusion:
[quoted image]

As expected

#2650 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Probably not!
On the other hand you remember what happened when they posted that first Hobbit playfield. They do pay attention. Maybe not to my lone voice, not trying to puff myself up, but if enough of us are talking about things you never know how you might influence the refs.
Regardless, I'm not trying to campaign for change at JJP. Just trying to discuss what makes good pinball or not with people because I think it's interesting. Never know who's reading.
When I type I'm also thinking out loud, and I appreciate people responding or bringing up other examples, helps frame my own thinking. Who knows, maybe one day I will make that game for people to opine on.
Cheers Ice!

Looking forward to your game.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Slipstream Mod Shop
Men
Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks
Other
$ 14.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
$ 11,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Indialantic, FL
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
Machine - For Sale
West Des Moines, IA
$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place
Pinball Machine
Machine - For Sale
Branson, MO
$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 5,127 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 103.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/godfather-hype-discussion-thread/page/53?hl=ripit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.