WOZ-Alien (resized).jpg
TZ to BM66 (resized).jpg
Tron -Munsters (resized).jpg
SM (resized).jpg
MM -ATM (resized).jpg
Kiss (resized).jpg
GF and EHOH (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 5,127 posts in this topic. You are on page 44 of 103.
#2151 1 year ago
Quoted from Rolls-Royce:

You’re very lucky mate! Congratulations Scream! Amazing

Another owners thread we will be in , looking forward to it

#2152 1 year ago
Quoted from yancy:

Played a couple different LEs last night, some quick impressions.
Sounds are much less wozzy in person. I don't know why the video came across that way, but I wasn't really bothered in person. I wouldn't say I loved the music & sounds, but they didn't really stand out to me, for better or worse. Maybe I'm just accustomed to what a JJP sounds like at this point.
Flippers are MUCH improved. Easily shoots better than any JJP ever, hands down. I am one of the biggest longtime critics of their game feel, which I generally detest, but credit where it's due, they changed something, and it seems to have worked. There are a couple long ramp shots up the middle, nailed them consistently no problem, with strength to spare. If there's any fade I didn't play long enough to notice it.
Slingshots are better than TS4, which if I heard correctly actually had weaker coils than standard. These feel back to normal I suppose, no weak ping-pong effect but no hard Stern snap either. They're fine.
Gameplay is, I have say, overwhelming, borderline indecipherable. At first I can make sense of things when nothing is running, but it's pretty easy to get into a couple of the multiballs, and when you get into one, hoo boy. Everything seemingly stacks with everything. All the games I played had at least one three-MB stack, at once I'm pretty sure I stacked a 4th, but who could tell. Each with its own rainbow seizure of LEDs going, plus whatever mode(s) you start without even trying.
Best comparison I can think of is, I'm not a good POTC player, but once or twice I've had like 4 or 5 of the movie mutliballs running, where the whole game just goes nuts. GF is like that, except waaay easier to start. I was getting the megastack every game. Folks who like that will love this. It is just too much for me.
I think I'd really enjoy the gameplay as described in the featurette, but I feel like most of the rewarding stuff or complex strategy will be obscured by the megastack, with no real feeling of accomplishment. I guess owners who study and play it a bunch will eventually gain comprehension of the rainbow multiball blur.

I really feel like the stack-stack-stack-stack code overwhelms the design/layouts in POTC and GNR, and now it sounds like the same thing going on in GF. An average design can be a great game to play if there's good code to go with it. A great design can be an average game to play if code doesn't mesh with it.

The approach of "go ahead and start anything while anything else is running" ends up losing the player's interest for where the shots are and when they need to be hit because it eventually turns into "just hit anything at all times". It just becomes a scatter shot drill. On GnR I find that I don't really even feel a need to hit shots from the upper right flipper. And yes there are certainly a lot more features in the code in those games than this and you can play them in a more nuanced way to try to activate all the features/patches/powers. But when "start everything at all times" is the predominant structure of the code it unfortunately ends up dominating the design.

#2153 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah. The problem with everything stacking on top of each other is you can’t really enjoy anything as it’s all just a mess.
JJP’s best modes are their standalone modes IMO where nothing is stacking and the player is enjoying this objective based experience with multiple stages. I can understand allowing a main multiball to stack with a story mode but don’t allow more, it just gets too messy and not enjoyable.

Can I set up my G&R this way?

#2154 1 year ago
Quoted from dpadam450:

Anyone else's thoughts on the low scoring?

Good question! GF scores higher than any JJP, by a ton. I had seemingly average games in the 50 million range. A much better player than me put up 270 mil, including a single mode cashed out for 120 mil. A billion would seem to be in reach.

#2155 1 year ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

my brain cant handle all that.

Everyone who hates on JJP games seemingly summed up in one portion of a phrase right here.

#2156 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Has anyone noticed a “shoot everything” type mode in the game? Hope JJP is getting away from those.

It is actually fun as heck in TZ, is that what they are trying to emmulate?

#2157 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Full credit to JJP for releasing a game and having it (relatively) widely available to play on location the next day. Reading real reviews is almost more important than gameplay streams.

yeah it's kind of amazing that they were able to have these ready to go and nothing leaked early. Why can't Stern pull this off? When are we going to get our hands on Foo Fighters?

#2158 1 year ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Can I set up my G&R this way?

Regardless of what settings options are available, you don't have a choice in the matter if you're playing on location. You're stuck with whatever the base code defaults are.

#2159 1 year ago

Cabinet and backglass are stunning in person. Vibrant, crisp, saturated but not cartoonishly so. Cab decals are satisfyingly slick & glossy. Very high-end feel. Really enjoy the art deco flourishes in the backglass.

The stained glass-like display/interface is work of art all its own. So many thoughtful details, like the border of the inner section being used for timers/meters. If only they could limit the stacking to let you appreciate one or two things at a time, it would be super useful to glance up at.

#2160 1 year ago
Quoted from yancy:

Good question! GF scores higher than any JJP, by a ton. I had seemingly average games in the 50 million range. A much better player than me put up 270 mil, including a single mode cashed out for 120 mil. A billion would seem to be in reach.

My average games were around 50 million and my high was 87 million despite not really understanding the scoring nuances. I agree a billion should be in reach which is high for a JJP game.

20230308_210812 (resized).jpg20230308_210812 (resized).jpg
#2161 1 year ago

Any image of the underside of the playfield of a delivered game?

#2163 1 year ago
Quoted from yancy:

Cabinet and backglass are stunning in person. Vibrant, crisp, saturated but not cartoonishly so. Cab decals are satisfyingly slick & glossy. Very high-end feel. Really enjoy the art deco flourishes in the backglass.
The stained glass-like display/interface is work of art all its own. So many thoughtful details, like the border of the inner section being used for timers/meters. If only they could limit the stacking to let you appreciate one or two things at a time, it would be super useful to glance up at.

I'm not sure why they possibly left staging out of the game. One of the reasons why I enjoy Hobbit and POTC so much is allowing a shot to set up a pause, then maybe a very brief clip, then more gameplay. Constantly maniac multiball without pausing never seems fun, just overwhelming.

#2164 1 year ago
Quoted from yancy:

Other observations, from more of a mechanical/layout angle.
That long straight wireform to right inlane feed is AWESOME. Bounces off the target and feeds the flipper faster than seems possible. Love it. If you're not on your toes, power inlane drain. Never seen anything else quite like it.

When I first saw that I’m like “Oh great stop and go flipper feed.” But then I saw how fast that came out I literally had to replay it to make sure Something else didn’t happen. Incredible…

#2165 1 year ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Regardless of what settings options are available, you don't have a choice in the matter if you're playing on location. You're stuck with whatever the base code defaults are.

Yeah that sucks.

JJP def is catering to HUO, right or wrong

With GNR, not sure how you can fully enjoy it on location.

I turn it on with the upgraded pinwoofers and blast that sound.

The initial opening light show and band introduction sets it all up!

I’m screaming right along, “live from LA (or wherever) it’s GUNS AND ROSES!!!

The song selections are phenomenal. Like to play it just for the rock concert.

I don’t care about the scoring, even though I took the Eskaybee advice on setup.

GF looks exciting, can’t wait.

Best time ever to be in pinball minus the pricing

#2166 1 year ago
Quoted from dpadam450:

Somewhat off topic but there are 90 posts about the lights. Since I keep seeing the same repeated criticisms and JJP guy is possibly still in this thread. What is everyones thoughts on the camera that takes a photo of you for high score. I don't like it and even if they kept the price the same, I'd rather it be banished. Anyone else's thoughts on the low scoring? I usually see maybe 2 JJP's for 10-15+ Sterns out on locations. I think (especially for newer people, yes we have to get new customers drawn in), that the low scores compared to other games make you wonder what is a good score and it also bums you out as a new pinball player thinking you only got 100k score for the same time you played a Stern game and hit 5 Million.
Both my friend and I got into pinball the same time 4 years ago. He swapped one game out for a GNR and got rid of it within a month and said he'd never get a JJP game again. The one thing we recognized independently is the flippers just feel different. I haven't come across an explanation. If anyone knows what makes them feel different I'd be curious.

They don't bother me...It's the different flipper mechs...I think AP and Spooky's feel the best for modern pins, Stern's feel like Data East's to me, that's prob because they were Data East.

No flippers feel as good as Bally/Williams flippers, those were so perfect

#2167 1 year ago

Anyone going to wait on GF to see what CGC & Mark Ritchie have planned with "Pulp Fiction"? Teaser video just released.

#2168 1 year ago
Quoted from gjm:

Anyone going to wait on GF to see what CGC & Steve Ritchie have planned with "Pulp Fiction"? Teaser video just released.

Just when I thought my wallet was safe for a little while....

#2169 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Yeah that sucks.
JJP def is catering to HUO, right or wrong
With GNR, not sure how you can fully enjoy it on location.
I turn it on with the upgraded pinwoofers and blast that sound.
The initial opening light show and band introduction sets it all up!
I’m screaming right along, “live from LA (or wherever) it’s GUNS AND ROSES!!!
The song selections are phenomenal. Like to play it just for the rock concert.
I don’t care about the scoring, even though I took the Eskaybee advice on setup.
GF looks exciting, can’t wait.
Best time ever to be in pinball minus the pricing

GnR is a masterpiece...GF looks awesome...If you have the means, go for it!

#2170 1 year ago

I am very happy about the flippers feeling like they should. The games of the past have been eye candy. I hope this game can break that trend. I own GNR and it's my least played game. Wife loves it LOL (so colorful But she doesn't play) I hope they also fixed there ping pong slingshots as I can't stand them. I wonder if this was done in the code or a hardware change and hope it can be implemented on the old games.

#2171 1 year ago
Quoted from gjm:

Anyone going to wait on GF to see what CGC & Steve Ritchie have planned with "Pulp Fiction"? Teaser video just released.

Seriously??? Get the gimp.

I've been trying SO hard to not buy a game this year....ugh.

I wonder if they are making the leap to LCD or sticking with their giant DMDs.

#2172 1 year ago

As I posted in another thread.

I am glad I do tech support for a company that loves me.

Exciting times for pinball. Welcome back Mark Ritchie !

LTG : )

#2173 1 year ago
Quoted from gjm:

Mark Ritchie is the designer--Steve's brother.

#2174 1 year ago
Quoted from gjm:

I am in on Godfather, but if CGC nails Pulp, I will probably go for that one as well. Even if CGC announces tomorrow, it could be a year to 18 months before Pulp machines are delivered.

#2175 1 year ago

Everyone has an opinion on GNR. Its pretty divisive. Its a different sort of game. I like it but its more about the theme for me than anything else. If it was a different theme it would have been long gone I believe.

It really looks like TGF plays different than the typical JJP games. Looks fast and the slings and flippers seem to have more pop.

#2176 1 year ago
Quoted from insight75:

Everyone has an opinion on GNR. Its pretty divisive. Its a different sort of game. I like it but its more about the theme for me than anything else. If it was a different theme it would have been long gone I believe.
It really looks like TGF plays different than the typical JJP games. Looks fast and the slings and flippers seem to have more pop.

Yep. I think GF will be successful in spite of it's theme... Folks that were excited for a GF theme seem bummed. Others that completely wrote it off before the reveal seem to be impressed with the play...

#2177 1 year ago

Duplicate.

#2178 1 year ago
Quoted from dpadam450:

What is everyones thoughts on the camera that takes a photo of you for high score. I don't like it and even if they kept the price the same, I'd rather it be banished. .

I like it - my kids loved it

#2179 1 year ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

They don't bother me...It's the different flipper mechs...I think AP and Spooky's feel the best for modern pins, Stern's feel like Data East's to me, that's prob because they were Data East.

Stern has changed and improved their flipper designs over the years. They are not the same designs as DE, or even Whitestar-era Stern. I had a conversation with Chas Siddiqi on this sometime before he passed.

#2180 1 year ago
Quoted from BallLocks:

Opps, corrected
Thanks

#2181 1 year ago
Quoted from Noma2017:I am in on Godfather, but if CGC nails Pulp, I will probably go for that one as well. Even if CGC announces tomorrow, it could be a year to 18 months before Pulp machines are delivered.

Not if raw thrills can manufacture them.

Pinside_forum_7454071_0 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_7454071_0 (resized).jpg
#2182 1 year ago

All these posts now of people that have played it be ZERO video taken?? What the? You guys are killing me lol.

#2183 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

As I posted in another thread.
I am glad I do tech support for a company that loves me.
Exciting times for pinball. Welcome back Mark Ritchie !
LTG : )

Hoping to get my CCLe one day Lloyd. Been paid up since Nov of 2021.

Man I’m hoping Pulp Fiction doesn’t blow me away but I suspect it will!

#2184 1 year ago
Quoted from insight75:

I'm in the same boat with Led Zeppelin has to stay on theme alone.

#2185 1 year ago

Just got notified that my machine ships Monday... WOOOHOOO!!!

#2186 1 year ago
Quoted from gjm:

Not if raw thrills can manufacture them.
[quoted image]

If Raw Thrills is involved maybe dave & busters is going to have a pinball game.

#2187 1 year ago
Quoted from BallLocks:

.... and second cousin to Lionel

#2188 1 year ago

I will take a crappy cell phone vid of gameplay at this point, lets go!

#2189 1 year ago
Quoted from 6S3NC3:

I will take a crappy cell phone vid of gameplay at this point, lets go!

Karl at 7:30 EST on Twitch

#2190 1 year ago
Quoted from kermit24:

First Billion point game incoming?

#2191 1 year ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Stern has changed and improved their flipper designs over the years. They are not the same designs as DE, or even Whitestar-era Stern. I had a conversation with Chas Siddiqi on this sometime before he passed.

They feel the same to me, very similar, strong with no flex if that makes sense...Bally Williams had those perfect feel, Spooky's and AP's are very close to the feel of the B/W's

Stern Spikes at least, don't feel as good...I think the SAM's felt better...Could be all in my head though, not sure if they are that different, it's just noticeable as I have pins from all 4 manufacturers now, so I can def feel the difference when moving back and forth

#2192 1 year ago
Quoted from BallLocks:

Yep. I think GF will be successful in spite of it's theme... Folks that were excited for a GF theme seem bummed. Others that completely wrote it off before the reveal seem to be impressed with the play...

I was excited about the GF theme and I even more excited after seeing reveal, gameplay video and SDTM first impressions. I don't think I am in the minority.

#2193 1 year ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Man is this personal for you or what?Damn you just come off so pissed over this game!

Yeah - I hear you. I really wouldn't be that invested if it was another theme I could care less about like FF and Scooby. It has my attention b/c I'm someone that actually LOVES this theme. I'm a big godfather fan and I appreciate the elegance, simplicity and pure masterpiece of those movies. None of that is translated to the pinball game and that's really disappointing. I would have been day 1 (regardless of money loss) if they nailed the theme. That was my position for another theme I absolutely love - halloween. I bought butter day 1 and have zero regrets b/c sometimes I just like looking at the damn game!

So I'm still really excited to play it and for the stream. I just have to dial down my expectations.

Wherever I hear people say the game looks great or this is godfather btw, they’re also saying they don’t need a godfather game or not really excited for the theme and that makes sense to me - they don’t even know godfather. I go back to my analogy of people who think Olive Garden is good Italian. They don’t know any better. Usually mid western haha.

I also hate seeing fake fomo in general. Now I'm hearing shots are toys which is hilarious but that's pinball in 23. No toys but it's fun to shoot = 16k+ w/tax.

#2194 1 year ago
Quoted from Noma2017:

I was excited about the GF theme and I even more excited after seeing reveal, gameplay video and SDTM first impressions. I don't think I am in the minority.

No criticism--I'm in on a CE. But if you go back and look at the majority of complaints, it's either "That looks nothing like the godfather should" (rainbow lights, colors, etc., or it's "that theme sucks... Why would I want a godfather?" I think it's going to be a kickass game... But I don't think it's the theme that will make it that way.

#2195 1 year ago
Quoted from Wariodolby:

First Billion point game incoming?

Love the guy, but can't watch his streams because he blows up the game. You end up seeing everything.

#2196 1 year ago

This game look great. Great job to Eric and the team. I really like the cityscape decoration in the back. I like seeing something like this that just spells "pure craft". Look forward to experience the game in person.

#2197 1 year ago
Quoted from BallLocks:

No criticism--I'm in on a CE. But if you go back and look at the majority of complaints, it's either "That looks nothing like the godfather should" (rainbow lights, colors, etc., or it's "that theme sucks... Why would I want a godfather?" I think it's going to be a kickass game... But I don't think it's the theme that will make it that way.

Me too. Tough to say. Eric usually does such a deep dive on his themes that I can't imagine there aren't tons of satisfying shots/elements for GF purists. Then again, I was fine with a carnival themed Toy Story adventure for TS4 so maybe I am in the minority!

#2198 1 year ago
Quoted from kermit24:

What’s twitch account to search for please ?

#2199 1 year ago
Quoted from yancy:

I think I'd really enjoy the gameplay as described in the featurette, but I feel like most of the rewarding stuff or complex strategy will be obscured by the megastack, with no real feeling of accomplishment. I guess owners who study and play it a bunch will eventually gain comprehension of the rainbow multiball blur.

This is the exact opposite of what I want out of pinball. That’s just me, but I talk to other players all the time who feel the same.

I think this obsession with depth in code and stacking everything has created these monsters that a lot of people just don’t actually enjoy.

I don’t want to start a multiball off a skill shot. The last game I can remember playing that did that was Stargate.

Multiball should be something earned, and a goal, not something you’re constantly in multiple at once.

I think of games like Metallica where there are 4 multiballs, but the coolest parts are single ball play. Give me more Crank It Up rules instead.

Just my two cents.

#2200 1 year ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

What’s twitch account to search for please ?

https://m.twitch.tv/iepinball

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Hardware
Pinball Haven

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 11,999.99
Machine - For Sale
West Des Moines, IA
Machine - For Sale
Grapevine, TX
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

8,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Edgemoor, DE
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Columbia, SC
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Gameroom - Decorations
Precision Pinball prod.

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 5,127 posts in this topic. You are on page 44 of 103.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/godfather-hype-discussion-thread/page/44?hl=ripit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.