Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 878 posts
  • 203 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by leonml
  • Topic is favorited by 36 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“GNRCE Playfield issues!”

• No issues 34 votes
      30%
    • A few issues but I can deal with it 15 votes
      13%
    • I need a new playfield 63 votes
      56%

(112 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 11.02.03 PM (resized).png
    2C59A24D-B668-4C9B-B448-6C5C96A57878 (resized).jpeg
    4AB83D14-A6A4-4BCB-B3A9-C62901F8AB57 (resized).png
    24F4EACC-18BD-4C3A-BB1C-4EBECF729A5E.gif
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    96AFECF5-8006-4481-83F9-232B10BB796A (resized).jpeg
    F47BB7BD-444A-4776-96B8-3147FC4D52A9 (resized).png
    jjp-logo-compare.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    93CFD333-34C5-4DB3-ABFC-31CCBCF9E514 (resized).jpeg
    0A71BF84-51CB-4B9D-9E4C-0B45BCDDA9E1.jpeg
    B8A76BBC-CC62-4001-8ABA-C6275F81E85A (resized).jpeg
    breaking_the_chains.gif
    623D839E-033A-43B7-8B55-0085CFD6C12F.gif
    Screenshot_20210530-083357_Chrome (resized).jpg
    20210530_001747 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5 HEP identifies the issue immediatly. Posted by High_End_Pins (2 years ago)

Post #96 Myth about outlawed chemicals Posted by High_End_Pins (2 years ago)

Post #173 Mirco clearcoat & post tests Posted by High_End_Pins (2 years ago)

Post #726 HEP comment on the two easy to see direct issues. Posted by High_End_Pins (2 years ago)

Post #807 Reminder of thread purpose. Posted by Skyemont (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#345 2 years ago
    Quoted from High_End_Pins:

The same people that put a bunch of washers under plastics?
    Even worse what happens when you install a bunch of plastic protectors.
    I understand the dynamics of raising things like wireform ramps making the distance of the ball drop further but the minuscule amount these washers would raise anything would have zero effect on gameplay .
    Whoever is coming up with these “fixes” are doing themselves and their customers more harm than good.
    It’s like “Oh the ink is lifting around that 1/2 inch washer. I have the solution here’s a 3/4 incher on the house”
    Two months later “We are sorry to hear that the ink has lifted around that 3/4 inch washer. Here is a 1 inch washer. “
    Before you know it the entire playfield is going to be covered in wrinkles and big washers.

HEP unchained!

breaking_the_chains.gifbreaking_the_chains.gif
    #350 2 years ago
    Quoted from Morgoth00:

What does a company do with a buyback pin?
    -Strip it for parts?
    -Sell on their scratch N' dent page?
    -Fix it for resale?
    If the answer is the latter, why don't they just offer that option and send out refurbished PF's to unhappy customers? Just like your cell phone warranty, they don't give you a new one. They give you someone else's headache that they refurbished.

They legally can't sell it as new, so it has to be refurbished and sold as such or destroyed.

It makes the fact that they aren't offering an at-cost spare playfield even crazier. It literally cost them NOTHING but some administration. And if throughput is the issue, offer an IOU for when production cools down and they have some playfields to spare. This idiotic new stance is a self-inflicted wound that's completely unnecessary.

#351 2 years ago
    Quoted from twoplays25c:

In the 70s and beyond, car manufacturers' got away with crap like these current playfield issues, and then Mr. Toyota and Mr. Honda showed up and the game was never the same. Oopsie!
    Laugh at them now, but someday ... some company in another country with better QC processes will fix these issues, IF the US manufacturers continue NOT to.

Chinese Homepin is not better. See: Thunderbirds.

Japan is not into pinball, so scratch that. Maybe a Europe manufacturer resurgence, but I doubt it.

#358 2 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

What good does an at-cost spare playfield do if it's made by Mirco? Or even a populated playfield if the problem isn't fixed? What happens when that playfield fails in your game? Selling or getting a refund seem like the only ways you can guarantee that you won't have a defective game.

With a blank playfield at least you can give it years to cure and harden, lessening the chance of failure again. Then you can play the one in your machine into the ground with peace of mind.

#360 2 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Please show me that law....

It falls under the fraud statute of Federal Truth in Advertising law. You are fraudulently selling a not-new returned or refurbished item as new. That's fraud.

#373 2 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

It sucks

If it's an ink adhesion issue does re-clearing even help?

The problem is no one knows EXACTLY what the problem is. IF it's an issue of the solvents from the spray ink getting trapped by the clear that's applied before the ink has settled and causing bad adhesion, that MIGHT be fixed by more cure time. And if that's not the issue, then sanding down and re-clearing with someone who knows their stuff should take care of the pooling.

Bottom line, a spare playfield gives options. That's a good thing.

#374 2 years ago
    Quoted from DerGoetz:

You got that wrong.
    You receive the replacement playfield and then flip all that crap to a Derek or a Levi.
    Done. Now someone elses problem, just as JJP think and do themselves.

There aren't enough Derek or Levis for that scenario.

#413 2 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Bader vs. Mirco?

Bader was out after the beginning of ECLE as far as I know. Mirco playfields were pretty great until right after Hobbit. I think that's when he got his digital printer "upgrade" but not 100%.

#414 2 years ago

All these band aids to overcome and mask a potentially bad product are stupid.
    Make the playfields right!Someone clearly has the art ,ability and equipment .
    Make it happen. Whoever’s job this is. Do it!
    This is just a true summary of the many threads on the subject.
    All the back and forth is worthless.
    These are not normal outcomes or issues you would expect.
    Wear from use?Yes I can expect that.
    Dimples from use?Yes I can expect that.
    Dulling overtime with use ?Yes I can expect that
    Ink lifting and peeling off down to the bare wood around simply needed parts like post to build the game within months after said assembly let alone ever ?No this is not acceptable based on history alone.
    I can teardown a woodrail from the 50’s that doesn’t have or show that.
    It’s 70 years old!!
    Stop it!!!
    Fix it!!!
    If this is your job please take it seriously and do it!Its clearly important,not normal and not optional. You will ultimately make your own life easier as well as others.

HEP Unchained, Round Deux!

The EF Hutton of pinball playfields.

#421 2 years ago

Thanks. I am not the grand poobah of pinball or anything but honestly I never paid any attention to these threads because I have little to no interest on the subject matter.
    Once I studied it a bit I realized what level of horse shit this is or at least would be to me knowing what I do.
    I use Mirco playfields and this doesn’t happen but I have provisions. I am individually fine tuning each playfield finish and hand assembling maybe 25 games a year at a similar price point. Older stuff not the latest thing.
    I don’t know exactly where the fault lies. There are lots of variables.
    What I do know is very simple. Post are a part of pinball playfields and have been for a very long time.The ball does enough damage on its own. If the stationary post can destroy their designated areas in a matter of months I am scared to death for the rest of the playfield in due time.
    I want it fixed because it just what’s right and expected given a history of normal wear and tear as well as product expectations.

Fact is, you know your stuff and have extensive experience in all areas of pinball assembly because you are deep into the teardown and rebuilding of dozens of pins a year from many eras to a level of perfection the factory rarely, if ever, achieves. And that experience includes clearing playfields and fixing imperfections.

So your opinion carries a LOT of weight.

That it also comes with a huge dollop of sincere modesty is charming.

#425 2 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Maybe JJP should consider undermounting that post through a close fitting hole in the PF. Here is what I am thinking-
    This does not fix the crappy clear issue, but its one of the most beat up posts in a game, and would make long term sense to look into doing something differently. [quoted image]

That would solve the problem of over-torquing topside parts, but those holes would have to be very precise.

#513 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chuckwebster:

I second that- every time i've had a problem with Stern they always stood behind the product. Judging by the last stern game i got they seem to be listening and trying to improve the quality. clear is great and hardly any dimples on my LZ after 1k plays.

Warping is the new pooling with Stern these days. If you're real lucky, you get both!

#528 2 years ago
    Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Good to hear you guys have been taken care of, but it probably depends on how many games you buy and how bad your playfield is. A friend of mine had really bad pooling on nearly every post in his Iron Maiden and was told to find the nearest lake and jump into it. The posts are actually partially enveloped by the clearcoat and removing the posts without damage may be impossible, but this was determined to be 'acceptable'.

Might be a policy specific to Iron Maiden. I had the same experience with a Pro Maiden. The only time Stern wasn't willing to stand by their product. Uncool.

#552 2 years ago
    Quoted from Skyemont:

I called 5 times today. Can’t reach Barry. Probably told not to answer the damn phone.

Barry's a good dude. Honestly his hair was probably on fire before this playfield stuff exploded. He had plenty of time to chat at length while at AP. I'm sure JJP workday jacked to 11 was a shock.

#555 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Barry had taken care of me 2-3 times when he was at AP w/my Houdini, and I always enjoyed talking to him at a few shows I attended - always personable and was an asset to AP.
    I'd hate to be in his shoes now, can't imagine the crap he has to put up with daily. And I no doubt his hands are tied w/respect to the PF issues. A 'no win' for him.

Yep, Barry's a cool dude. Cares about pinball. None of this is his fault. If you must blame, blame JJPs current Dread Pirate Roberts. THAT is where this idiotic policy change is coming from.

#590 2 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

For people that had their GnR playfield claims denied, were you discussing the "Bumper to Post" warranty with your distributor and JJP, or this new, more limited warranty? And has anyone considered which version of the warranty would apply if you made your deposit before the warranty terms were revised? Or if you took delivery of your machine before the warranty terms were revised?

Since the terms were changed after most deposits were taken, you should be able to get your "non-refundable" deposit back - the seller changed the terms of the original agreement.

#604 2 years ago
    Quoted from GTO:

Seriously. How hard is it to find the people who made the diamond plated playfields for Bally-Williams or even playfields for Zaccaria? I mean, can’t they just consult those people on their process? Can’t be that hard.

It's not that simple. The root problem may be the digital printing process itself. In olden times before our current environmental regulations, Diamond plating was done on SCREENED playfields with more/different VOCs. The problems we're seeing now seemed to start when the digital printing was used for playfields. That interaction between the wood and the paint and the clear is the mystery. Putting diamond plate on digital printing may be just as bad, or even worse.

BUT, that said, there should have been a LOT more progress toward a solution in the last 4 years or so. Or, if they can't get it right, just go back to screening playfields until they can.

#651 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chetrico:

Well, so much for that. I did exactly what JJP recommended by placing washers over the affected areas. Last night we put in a solid 2 to 3 hours on the machine. I just checked to see how it was looking and a little to my surprise, the damage has already extended past the 3/4 inch washers. I was trying to be optimistic but damn, looks like it is only going to get worse.

I think Chris from High End Pins has it right, saying that when you extend the washer, you just push out the surface for the damage to happen around the edges further. Smaller washer over larger mylar ring is the better way, IMO.

#653 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

Or small washer (the original) over carbon fiber.[quoted image]

For the fancy folks.

Cliffy is always a win.

#684 2 years ago
    Quoted from calprog:

Orders are being canceled daily!! Sad. Cool machine! Poor quality

I just feel bad for @hogbog. Delivered ALL the goods for JJP TWICE in a ROW and both times his party cake got pissed on. Has to be a drag.

#703 2 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

So, going forward if we buy a JJP, there is zero warranty on the playfield?
    Open it up and it's a lemon, and it's a 'oh well, win some, lose some' scenario?
    I don't care what titles come out in the future, I won't be buying with zero warranty.

That's the way their new warranty reads. It's basically like Stern's now. Nothing in writing, replacement of playfield and other "non-covered" defects by their grace alone.

The difference is, Stern generally takes care of their playfield pooling/warping/chipping issues and doesn't leave owners hanging.

It's a really radical, shocking juxtaposition of Stern and JJP in the quality/warranty departments. Hopefully JJP comes to their senses sooner rather than later.

#739 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

We is me and my wife. Asshole.

When Zaphx unchained shows up, you know you've gone too far.

#740 2 years ago
    Quoted from Sako-TRG:

Not sure you realise this but you are coming across as JJP #1 crusader. If you want hired by Jack, submit your resume like everyone else, instead of fighting their corner every opportunity. It really is becoming painful to watch..... lol.

Meh. I think he's just a level-headed guy trying to share what's worked for him to get through this nonsense with JJP playfields while nothing is happening with actual remediation for the problem from JJP. Having been accused of the same in JJP and Stern threads myself on various issues, I get it. I don't believe he is condoning JJPs terrible warranty change or their denials that there is a widespread problem. It seems like he's just trying to help people get back to playing a great pin in a way that will inflict the least amount of additional damage while this gets worked out (and it WILL get worked out, IMO).

#745 2 years ago
    Quoted from Skyemont:

In lieu of me reading every post about fixes, can we identify who has done what and how it’s working so far? Washer size, plastic, rubber or metal. What size you used, etc... So far I think I need to do a complete tear down on my 5 mth old game to get to post that have been affected. It’s a damn same but it is what it is. I have not played it in 1 month. This issue has drained the fun out of playing and owning this game.

I think that the carbon fiber rings Cliffy sells to arrest damage, topped with the same washer as originally on the machine is best. Mylar rings topped with whatever washer was originally on would be second. IMO.

I think that HEP is right that putting a bigger washer on is asking for trouble and just moving the damage area outward for future headaches. He has a lot of experience in playfields and clearing them, so I trust what he says.

#747 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

That’s probably true if you torque down a huge metal washer but the petg washers have just enough flex to put slightly more pressure toward the center while still protecting edges and dissipating the overall force. FYI the cliffy washers are great but I’ve had issues with them sliding around in areas near pops because their center hole is so large.

Cliff's carbon fiber rings were moving around? They have a pretty strong adhesive. Did you strip the wax off the playfield in the area first so they have a good surface to bond to?

Over a longer period of time, it will be clearer what works for the long term. For now all we have are theories and relatively short term observations. Hopefully this is the last release to have these widespread issues and JJP moves on to a new vendor solution...

#749 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Yes I placed them under the posts in the bumper area of Star Trek and they both shifted to one end of the post vs staying centered. The plastic posts are slightly larger than the washer hole so the vibration of the post shifted the washers. Area was cleaned thoroughly before I applied them. That said they work well around the metal posts in GnR to protect around the post since the diameter of the hole is the same as the metal posts.

Wow, that's crazy. Would have never guessed. I've never had them come off once stuck on the playfield. Granted, I haven't used a BUNCH, but still...

#790 2 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

I know two people who have received populated playfields in the last year from Stern. The bar is high though. The defect must affect gameplay. This means a warped playfield or a sunken insert.

Fortunately (unfortunately?) not that uncommon to have warped playfield be the Stern defect du jour. Was VERY uncommon before the last 18 months or so, but now not surprising. I've heard of multiples on multiple recent pins firsthand - mostly AIQ and LZ. Something changed with the blanks.

#799 2 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Here's a template
    [quoted image]

How did I miss all these years that JJP slipped a LotR dickbeard tribute at the top of the JJP logo? It was basically a key milestone in the genesis of JJP, so it makes sense, but HOW did I miss it all these years?

jjp-logo-compare.jpgjjp-logo-compare.jpg

#809 2 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

That’s awesome! I never noticed that either. Yes, that is a well placed tribute.

Disney has hidden Mickeys. Not to be outdone, apparently JJP has hidden Dickys. Where else are they stuffing these?

#860 2 years ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

Maybe that star in Mirco’s logo is supposed to represent playfield artwork peeling up around posts.

It's symbolic of the 5 cardinal excuses Mirco relies on.

#863 2 years ago
    Quoted from thechakapakuni:

In the TBL thread, DP says Mircos claims are that JJP are the issue. JJP is over tightening the posts. While this isn’t a direct statement of quality, it’s a denial they are the problem. Who really knows
    [quoted image]

Mirco is a font of excuses and blame-shifting, so I wouldn't exactly take their statement as factual.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gnrce-playfield-issues?tu=pinmonk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.