Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 878 posts
  • 203 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by leonml
  • Topic is favorited by 36 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“GNRCE Playfield issues!”

• No issues 34 votes
      30%
    • A few issues but I can deal with it 15 votes
      13%
    • I need a new playfield 63 votes
      56%

(112 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 11.02.03 PM (resized).png
    2C59A24D-B668-4C9B-B448-6C5C96A57878 (resized).jpeg
    4AB83D14-A6A4-4BCB-B3A9-C62901F8AB57 (resized).png
    24F4EACC-18BD-4C3A-BB1C-4EBECF729A5E.gif
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    96AFECF5-8006-4481-83F9-232B10BB796A (resized).jpeg
    F47BB7BD-444A-4776-96B8-3147FC4D52A9 (resized).png
    jjp-logo-compare.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    93CFD333-34C5-4DB3-ABFC-31CCBCF9E514 (resized).jpeg
    0A71BF84-51CB-4B9D-9E4C-0B45BCDDA9E1.jpeg
    B8A76BBC-CC62-4001-8ABA-C6275F81E85A (resized).jpeg
    breaking_the_chains.gif
    623D839E-033A-43B7-8B55-0085CFD6C12F.gif
    Screenshot_20210530-083357_Chrome (resized).jpg
    20210530_001747 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5 HEP identifies the issue immediatly. Posted by High_End_Pins (2 years ago)

Post #96 Myth about outlawed chemicals Posted by High_End_Pins (2 years ago)

Post #173 Mirco clearcoat & post tests Posted by High_End_Pins (2 years ago)

Post #726 HEP comment on the two easy to see direct issues. Posted by High_End_Pins (2 years ago)

Post #807 Reminder of thread purpose. Posted by Skyemont (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider damonator.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#45 2 years ago
    Quoted from Skyemont:

I agree with you on Spooky, American and CGC. Not STERN! They have playfield issues as well.

Spooky had a bad batch of TNA playfields, but I think they corrected during the TNA run. I’m not sure how they resolved it for the people that had an issue.

#95 2 years ago

To me, it seems like both the ink and the clear weren’t allowed to cure properly. The clear was too soft which allowed the posts to rotate and shear off the poorly adhered ink.

My guess is another 8-12 weeks of cure time would have alleviated a lot of the issues. My TNA was built around the time others had issues, but mine sat in the box for 3 months before it was played and it’s been perfect with no issues. I get it that everything in this industry is rushed, but it seems like some of the early GnRs were too rushed. I hope JJP makes it right for everyone affected.

#106 2 years ago
    Quoted from High_End_Pins:

A digital print is easier and cheaper than a screen print.

I think digital printing is the right evolution for creating playfields over screen printing as they are way more detailed (along with many other advantages). But obviously there’s an issue with the ink or cure time or chemical interaction for Mirco. I don’t think we should “throw out the baby with the bath water” and lobby for a return to screen printed playfields.

My hope is that JJP has taken the issue seriously and may have already addressed the root cause. Then they obviously need to make it right for people that own a game with a defective playfield.

#113 2 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

I’ve had my LE for 6 mos. and it just chipped last week. How long am I supposed to let it cure exactly?
    My feelings and feedback for future and potential buyers. If you like a game with the pinball glass on (i.e. able to play it), buy a stern. If you like a game with the glass off (i.e. having to fix it once a month or more), buy a JJP. It’s that simple. Awesome games, but a bitch to maintain.

Right - but that chip was just the ultimate manisfestation of damage that started a long time ago. I was simply saying that having an extra few months of cure time before the game was played *may* have helped.

But that step should have been taken by JJP and/or Mirco. It’s not anyone’s fault that they have playfield damage after a few hundred plays. As I said before, JJP has to address the issue and make it right.

#199 2 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

In HEPs case would it not just hide it under the star if it did pool or dig in to the playfield?

I think you may have answered your own question.

It’s just insurance so that if damage does occur, it’s hidden and won’t affect aesthetics.

#220 2 years ago
    Quoted from seenev:

Playfield clear coat issues aside, haven't JJP games developed a reputation for poor quality in other areas and for being very unreliable? The few people I've met who've owned JJP games surprised me when they said the quality was worse than Stern, because I thought it was supposed to be the other way around. JJP seems to dump all their money into design and cheap out on actual build quality... But that's just my impression second hand.

Not really - I've found them to be as reliable as the other manufacturers, there's just more mechs on a JJP than a Stern. More mechs = more things that can break - but most of their drops, pops, slings, flipper mechs are based on B/W designs and are solid. They've had some bumps in the road - but so have the other "new" pinball companies.

#222 2 years ago
    Quoted from Asael:

I think Eric Meunier and Pat Lawlor don't have to work hard to develope the next games, I don't think there will be a next game. And even if there will be a next and "toy story", "Avatar" or what theme the next game will be, it can be the best game ever, nobody will believe them anymore that they have solved the problems. Guns N Roses playfields have problems even worse than the games before. But the bigger problem is, that JJP lied to us customers that they have solved these problems. I don't think they can recover from this disaster this time. Perhaps they know this and that is why they give a shit and don't answer to the customers.

Or maybe they were told by their contract playfield manufacturer (Mirco) that the problems had been resolved. It's unfortunate for JJP that one of their sub-contractors is giving them a black eye. But JJP remaining silent is only making it worse. Just a simple - "we know there's a problem for some folks and they will be compensated" would go a long ways to settle down the chatter.

#337 2 years ago
    Quoted from Skyemont:

The point is guys I want GNR. Send me a playfield in lieu of 12,500???

I guess I would have more sympathy for CE owners if they were losing thousands of dollars because of the damage, but that's not the case - I don't think I've seen a CE listed in the market for under $18k for the past 3 months.

JJP has offered to buy back your game for MSRP (which is the right move for JJP), or you can sell it in 10 seconds for $15k in the market. Pocket the profit and wait on an LE with a (hopefully) better PF.

Or keep your game, enjoy it and buy a better PF when available (hopefully offered by JJP at cost). I'll bet you money you'll still make more than MSRP when you sell it.

#802 2 years ago
    Quoted from May:

no date on playfield.

It’s printed on the rear edge - left side. You should be able to snap a pic with your phone using the flash.

My LE is 1/29/2021.

F47BB7BD-444A-4776-96B8-3147FC4D52A9 (resized).pngF47BB7BD-444A-4776-96B8-3147FC4D52A9 (resized).png

#845 2 years ago
    Quoted from Skyemont:

I do want to keep it. Hopefully JJP will sell CE playfields with no issues.

As others have said, selling blank PFs at cost would be the easiest route for them and cost them nothing. They did the same thing with the Hobbit left wire ramp exit and WoZ 2.0 light boards.

Is it right to charge for any of these? No. Do we know there is a chance something like this will happen with a JJP game and we’ll have to pay to fix it? Yes, because this is the pattern. I don’t like this aspect of their business.

But you know what I do like? Their games. They are freaking fun and a *big* jump in entertainment value over the other companies. I bought my GnR LE after reading all these PF issue threads, knowing full well what may be down the road for me on my PF. The game is amazing and I’m glad I didn’t wait it out or pass.

#858 2 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

I know Mirco Playfields and Marco Specialties Pinball Parts -- what does "Micro" have to do with pinball?

I think iphone likes to auto correct mirco to micro if you don’t capitalize it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider damonator.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gnrce-playfield-issues?tu=damonator and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.