Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 878 posts
  • 203 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by leonml
  • Topic is favorited by 36 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“GNRCE Playfield issues!”

• No issues 34 votes
      30%
    • A few issues but I can deal with it 15 votes
      13%
    • I need a new playfield 63 votes
      56%

(112 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 11.02.03 PM (resized).png
    2C59A24D-B668-4C9B-B448-6C5C96A57878 (resized).jpeg
    4AB83D14-A6A4-4BCB-B3A9-C62901F8AB57 (resized).png
    24F4EACC-18BD-4C3A-BB1C-4EBECF729A5E.gif
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    96AFECF5-8006-4481-83F9-232B10BB796A (resized).jpeg
    F47BB7BD-444A-4776-96B8-3147FC4D52A9 (resized).png
    jjp-logo-compare.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    93CFD333-34C5-4DB3-ABFC-31CCBCF9E514 (resized).jpeg
    0A71BF84-51CB-4B9D-9E4C-0B45BCDDA9E1.jpeg
    B8A76BBC-CC62-4001-8ABA-C6275F81E85A (resized).jpeg
    breaking_the_chains.gif
    623D839E-033A-43B7-8B55-0085CFD6C12F.gif
    Screenshot_20210530-083357_Chrome (resized).jpg
    20210530_001747 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5 HEP identifies the issue immediatly. Posted by High_End_Pins (2 years ago)

Post #96 Myth about outlawed chemicals Posted by High_End_Pins (2 years ago)

Post #173 Mirco clearcoat & post tests Posted by High_End_Pins (2 years ago)

Post #726 HEP comment on the two easy to see direct issues. Posted by High_End_Pins (2 years ago)

Post #807 Reminder of thread purpose. Posted by Skyemont (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ShrimpPimp.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#291 2 years ago

We were lucky enough to secure a G&R CE with a serial number in the 90's range. We took delivery the last week of February and as of today have nearly 2,000 games played. It is one of our favorite games to play, and it probably helps that my wife and I are big G&R fans.

I've followed this thread and the other G&R threads to learn about tweaks and issues. I removed my glass this morning and went over the playfield with a flash light. The ONLY blemish I could find regarding pooling, lifting or chipping was around this post to the left of the scoop. I already have the 3/4" clear washers mentioned above and I'm hoping that installing one will prevent further chipping as the arrows point out.

I guess I should feel lucky that there is not more damage with so many hours on the game. Maybe it's possible that some of the pooling issues and worse seen by others won't creep up in my machine?

My wife and I are fairly new to the hobby but we play every night and enjoy our games. Just like the hot rodded 48' Chevy in my profile pic that gets driven everywhere. We're both nearly 50 and while I love having nice shiny toys, I know that with use you will get some minor dings and bump ups here and there. I have friends with hot rods they never drive and guys who have guns which are "safe queens" and never get shot. These friends who never really utilize or enjoy their possessions puzzle me. That would be similar to me telling friends not to play my G&R because "I wanna keep total plays low for possible future re-sale value." For me unless I hate the game, if I buy a pin and love it I will probably keep it forever and put it in my will.

So if there are documented issues with the manufacturing process as pointed out it seems the entire playfield could be compromised. However in MY case is it possible that what you see in the photo is normal wear and tear from 2,000 plays? Could it be similar to dings in your paint from driving your car normally?

I'm hoping it's attributed to normal wear and tear because I would hate to think that over the next couple years every high impact post will start to look like this one. People have a right to be frustrated and upset for the amount of money we spend on these games. I totally get it. In my case though I will play the game until the legs fall off because the overall experience for me exceeds the worry of a couple clear disks on the playfield that you don't see with the light shows going full blast.

I've been a lurker for months but just wanted to post my SN range and pics so the OP can cross reference his experiences with one more.

Backstage post (resized).jpgBackstage post (resized).jpgGuns and Roses Audit (resized).jpgGuns and Roses Audit (resized).jpg
    #293 2 years ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

I'm with you man, I think toys should be enjoyed! The pinball machine won't be pristine forever, but that is not normal wear and tear. That looks like a nice paint job on your hot rod. If it started flaking off after 10,000 miles would you consider that normal wear and tear? I think most of us have somewhat realistic expectations with our games, giant chunks of playfield chipping off is not one of them.

Oh for sure some of the photos I have seen are atrocious and are not acceptable on new production with low plays. When I was only able to find that one blemish on my playfield I was hoping mine was one of the ones done properly and maybe the single post on mine was over torqued or just took more of a beating. Maybe I'm expressing wishful thinking, but only time will tell.

The paint job on my car wasn't cheap and I'd be crying if it started peeling. lol.

#302 2 years ago
    Quoted from dmieczko:

Can you post another picture of that post from a different angle? Is that a huge chunk of paint missing just North of the post that you can't really see in the pic??

Yeah I see what you mean now with this angle. I didn't catch it the first time around but that bare wood shouldn't be there and it indeed looks like a chip.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

My advice is put away the flashlight and stop looking for trouble. Sounds like you did ok so no need to drive yourself nuts, enjoy the game that’s what the hobby is all about.
    If you keep conducting flashlight reviews eventually you’ll find SOMETHING so I’d count yourself lucky just have fun with it.

For sure I'm not gonna keep looking for trouble. I've cleaned and waxed my playfield and even after following all these threads for weeks today was the first time I've ever felt inclined to see if my PF had any issues. I'll do what I can to minimize any further damage, but I'm gonna play the hell out of it. Lately the wife and I have a friendly rivalry over Deadpool so G&R has had somewhat of a rest this week. Absolutely loving Deadpool!

Chip (resized).jpgChip (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ShrimpPimp.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gnrce-playfield-issues?tu=ShrimpPimp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.