Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 878 posts
  • 203 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by leonml
  • Topic is favorited by 36 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“GNRCE Playfield issues!”

• No issues 34 votes
      30%
    • A few issues but I can deal with it 15 votes
      13%
    • I need a new playfield 63 votes
      56%

(112 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 11.02.03 PM (resized).png
    2C59A24D-B668-4C9B-B448-6C5C96A57878 (resized).jpeg
    4AB83D14-A6A4-4BCB-B3A9-C62901F8AB57 (resized).png
    24F4EACC-18BD-4C3A-BB1C-4EBECF729A5E.gif
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    96AFECF5-8006-4481-83F9-232B10BB796A (resized).jpeg
    F47BB7BD-444A-4776-96B8-3147FC4D52A9 (resized).png
    jjp-logo-compare.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    93CFD333-34C5-4DB3-ABFC-31CCBCF9E514 (resized).jpeg
    0A71BF84-51CB-4B9D-9E4C-0B45BCDDA9E1.jpeg
    B8A76BBC-CC62-4001-8ABA-C6275F81E85A (resized).jpeg
    breaking_the_chains.gif
    623D839E-033A-43B7-8B55-0085CFD6C12F.gif
    Screenshot_20210530-083357_Chrome (resized).jpg
    20210530_001747 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5 HEP identifies the issue immediatly. Posted by High_End_Pins (2 years ago)

Post #96 Myth about outlawed chemicals Posted by High_End_Pins (2 years ago)

Post #173 Mirco clearcoat & post tests Posted by High_End_Pins (2 years ago)

Post #726 HEP comment on the two easy to see direct issues. Posted by High_End_Pins (2 years ago)

Post #807 Reminder of thread purpose. Posted by Skyemont (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Betelgeuse.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#135 2 years ago

Another thread, another game. Even some of the most notorious defenders are switching sides now. Could the tide finally be turning?? Will these issues finally be resolved? Find out on the next exciting episode...

#371 2 years ago
    Quoted from Genjuro:

You know, there are people that buy games to hold them for years to come, rather than just a bunch of flippers. Those people probably don't like the risk of playfields being compromised with the risk of future issues showing up by simply using their machine.

This. For the people shouting to just sell the defective game and move on... what if they want to keep the title and just not have it be defective? Not everyone buys and sells titles right and left, or flips for profit. For me, when I take a chance and buy a NIB game, it's not a decision I take lightly. It needs to be a game I really connect with for whatever reason. Sometimes I make a bad call, get bored with the game quickly, and move it on. Other times, I keep the game for many years, or indefinitely. A defective game is a problem either way, whether because of reduced value or reduced enjoyment.

I advocate for the consumers on these issues because I am one, and I want to buy more new games without worrying about this issue. I'm honestly surprised at how many people don't care if their games look nice, or at least claim to not care. Isn't that why many of us wax, maintain, and restore older games? Who doesn't want their pins, especially new/expensive titles, to look nice for years to come? I have always had a strong appreciation for JJP and their ambition to create pins more akin to the classic B/W games. Stern had mostly become complacent and stale by the point where JJP showed up on the scene. For me, it's painful to watch this tarnish their legacy while Jack himself is left as a bench warmer. I sincerely hope they can right the ship.

#506 2 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

This experience reminded me why stern is so superior in every way, you only have yourselves to thank for that, JJP.

Stern has had playfield issues for a lot longer than JJP and they dragged it out forever. They STILL have problems like warping and guide rails tearing the clearcoat. They have put a band-aid on a bullet hole by removing the artwork from around posts, but I don't really think they are out of the woods yet. Things just look better for them at the moment because JJP is having bigger problems on a popular title.

#526 2 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

We was talking about this the other day. They actually both started having problems in 2013/14 around the same time. MET for Stern and WOZ for JJP.

Something changed around that time (2013) that has totally screwed the playfields.

Good call. Forgot about those early WOZ playfields, since most of the run and The Hobbit and Dailed In were mostly really good. I agree that 2013 was when I first started seeing playfield issues creeping up. They seemed to get even worse around 2016 with Spiderman Vault and Ghostbusters. I had a GB on pre-order that was supposed to ship that spring, but got pushed back to the fall, presumably because of all of the insert problems. Of course, mine still ended up having insert ghosting anyway.

#527 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chuckwebster:

I second that- every time i've had a problem with Stern they always stood behind the product. Judging by the last stern game i got they seem to be listening and trying to improve the quality. clear is great and hardly any dimples on my LZ after 1k plays.

Good to hear you guys have been taken care of, but it probably depends on how many games you buy and how bad your playfield is. A friend of mine had really bad pooling on nearly every post in his Iron Maiden and was told to find the nearest lake and jump into it. The posts are actually partially enveloped by the clearcoat and removing the posts without damage may be impossible, but this was determined to be 'acceptable'.

#668 2 years ago

Why does everyone keep asking zaphX for advice?? He doesn't know anything above and beyond the rest of the people on here. He just posts a lot. He doesn't even care if the entire top layer of the playfield chips off in sheets.

#761 2 years ago

FWIW, I have fixed playfield pooling with the ironing tool and it worked great for me. I have also repaired areas with chipping by using thin, clear, water-based super glue. I glue down as much of the chipped off or lifting artwork as possible by applying the glue with a small paintbrush, pushing the glue into all the gaps. Then brush a small amount of glue over the damaged area to seal it all in. I usually can't even see the line where the glue begins on the original clearcoat. Depending on where the damage is, I'll then cover it with a cliffy or mylar for extra protection. I haven't added any washers, but have used wider posts in some places. I'm not sure how well it would hold up with narrow posts that take direct ball strikes, as I haven't had that exact situation, but I have yet to have one of these repairs chip away again. YMMV.

**edit for clarification** I am not ok with any of this and it does not make the pf as good as new. I haven't bought a NIB game in over 5 years because of my experiences. It's complete b.s. and needs to stop. This is just how I made the best of some bad situations.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Betelgeuse.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gnrce-playfield-issues?tu=Betelgeuse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.