Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 878 posts
  • 203 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by leonml
  • Topic is favorited by 36 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“GNRCE Playfield issues!”

• No issues 34 votes
      30%
    • A few issues but I can deal with it 15 votes
      13%
    • I need a new playfield 63 votes
      56%

(112 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 11.02.03 PM (resized).png
    2C59A24D-B668-4C9B-B448-6C5C96A57878 (resized).jpeg
    4AB83D14-A6A4-4BCB-B3A9-C62901F8AB57 (resized).png
    24F4EACC-18BD-4C3A-BB1C-4EBECF729A5E.gif
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    96AFECF5-8006-4481-83F9-232B10BB796A (resized).jpeg
    F47BB7BD-444A-4776-96B8-3147FC4D52A9 (resized).png
    jjp-logo-compare.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    93CFD333-34C5-4DB3-ABFC-31CCBCF9E514 (resized).jpeg
    0A71BF84-51CB-4B9D-9E4C-0B45BCDDA9E1.jpeg
    B8A76BBC-CC62-4001-8ABA-C6275F81E85A (resized).jpeg
    breaking_the_chains.gif
    623D839E-033A-43B7-8B55-0085CFD6C12F.gif
    Screenshot_20210530-083357_Chrome (resized).jpg
    20210530_001747 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 878 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 18.
    #701 2 years ago

Nono... I mean what I posted above. Sorry, I edited my post above. Check it out. I basically have a shrine to my potc CE. Lol. Also, pinside truncated out my emoji adds.. so I'll just have to use the old BBS method. *Grin*

#702 2 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

Gotta love JJP position on this..... we recognize there’s an issue but instead of holding Mirco responsible we’ve updated our warranty to reflect that the playfield is not part of the warranty.
    JJP’s hands are tied as they don’t have someone else to go to for pf.

So, going forward if we buy a JJP, there is zero warranty on the playfield?

Open it up and it's a lemon, and it's a 'oh well, win some, lose some' scenario?

I don't care what titles come out in the future, I won't be buying with zero warranty.

#703 2 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

So, going forward if we buy a JJP, there is zero warranty on the playfield?
    Open it up and it's a lemon, and it's a 'oh well, win some, lose some' scenario?
    I don't care what titles come out in the future, I won't be buying with zero warranty.

That's the way their new warranty reads. It's basically like Stern's now. Nothing in writing, replacement of playfield and other "non-covered" defects by their grace alone.

The difference is, Stern generally takes care of their playfield pooling/warping/chipping issues and doesn't leave owners hanging.

It's a really radical, shocking juxtaposition of Stern and JJP in the quality/warranty departments. Hopefully JJP comes to their senses sooner rather than later.

#704 2 years ago

^^^Yeah, this just isn’t cricket.
    I’ve spent a boat load on mods already, Lior, Pinwoofer etc.... I guess these will be sat on a shelf.
    I’m doing zero modifications to expose myself to invalidate any warranty claim with my distro. Not even a single aftermarket washer, why should I?
    My warranty/ contract in UK is with distro/retailer NOT the manufacturer. Under consumer law UK and Sales of Goods act that’s where any claim could be raised should the worse happen.
    Failing that Section 75 on credit card - two pronged approach.
    JJP sadly are stiffing their business partners, not me. He’s a good guy, not his fault as he just sourced me the pin......but what else can one do with no other action, this unfortunately is what JJP are relying on.
    They are insulating themselves best they can.

#705 2 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

I am in the printing world and we have some large format UV ink printers. I DO NOT print on wood but could if I wanted to and I do remember the guy that trained us said if we did print on wood he recommended we put down a sealer coat for proper adhesion. Again, I only print on plastic, paper, and metal and I have zero issue with these materials.

Agree, it appears that some playfields had better surface prep than others. There is no way the ink will adhere properly without the right surface. Also mentioned before over tourqe of posts will aggravate the problem.
    @ HEP I love your work and amazing attention to detail. thank you for taking the time to provide your insight and experience with Mirco PF's.
    If a JJP GnR owner approached you for your amazing playfield treatment, would it be effective for affected playfields ? As sanding top coat will never get to the wood surface under the art where the problem appears apparent ? Could your treatment hold it together ?

#706 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

Look man you already said you couldn't figure out the game, hated it, and sold it. Why do you keep beating this horse?

And you already said you will bend the knee to Jersey Jack even if they set your game on fire, sleep with your wife, and slap your children, so why continue trolling people in a play field issue thread?

#707 2 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

What difference does it make to you? Why? Because I got screwed on WoZ by Jack. The PF fell apart and the asshole , only after badgering him incessantly, sent me a PF that should have been thrown in the trash. I had to buy one at cost. After one thing after the other broke I sold it. I took a chance on GnR because it was supposed to be the be all and end all of pinball and sold a restored Funhouse that I restored myself and can never get back to get it. We were told this shit would be taken care of. So I get it and not only do the rules suck bit the PFs are falling apart. So, do you keep it and see if it gets better or dump it before it grenades? I chose to dump it. My FH is still gone. Not to mention I despise entities that screw over people and refuse to accept responsibility. I’m a damn used car dealer and I don’t screw people over like that. And by the way I did figure out the game, hit each shot enough times and play multiple multi balls while doing it then start the song and aim for the red amd yellow shots which is all of them, collect a jackpot or start the song over and do it over and over again. It’s a flail fest. I never got so tired of multiballs since I discovered pinball. So again, what’s it to you? Am I not allowed a voice just because I sold my game before it started to fall apart? That being said, for the sake of the pinsider that bought it I hope the game is one of the few that stays together and he enjoys it more than I did.

Thread is about Playfield issues, which it appears you haven’t had, not about whether you like the game or not.

#708 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

That's the way their new warranty reads. It's basically like Stern's now. Nothing in writing, replacement of playfield and other "non-covered" defects by their grace alone.
    The difference is, Stern generally takes care of their playfield pooling/warping/chipping issues and doesn't leave owners hanging.

Whaaa??? I really enjoyed Stern’s little label that stated every pin is unique and hand built, blah blah blah. Folks having Stern pf issues got the same treatment. Stern Army EULA. Blech.

#709 2 years ago
    Quoted from jandrea95:

And you already said you will bend the knee to Jersey Jack even if they set your game on fire, sleep with your wife, and slap your children, so why continue trolling people in a play field issue thread?

That’s all he’s done for awhile now. Kinda tweaked really.

#710 2 years ago
    Quoted from sanantoniopinhea:

I started the pinball hobby in 2007. I used to post on the old Yahoo boards (wild west with no moderator) when Clay was giving us manuals on how to fix pinball games. Prices

Thanks for your story! Good do see a long timer post. "Yahoo boards" I assume was way of viewing the RGP newsgroup. Clay helped many get into this hobby, including myself. It's great to see many continue to help today just seems like those voices are drowned out lately.

#711 2 years ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

That’s all he’s done for awhile now. Kinda tweaked really.

You guys should think less about me and play your games more.

#712 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Lol I think the news would be more interested in why grown men are spending 10k on a toy

This, but they are now $20k toys

#713 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

There appears to be some on here who couldn't think any less of you if they tried.

Jk. Couldn't resist.
    I have appreciated your input/contributions fwiw
    Team zaphx!

#714 2 years ago

What about implied warranty? There are certain things a company cannot wiggle out of. Anyone lawyering up or contacting their state Consumer Affairs office?

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2013/05/the-word-on-warranty-protection/index.htm

#715 2 years ago
    Quoted from Vespula:

There appears to be some on here who couldn't think any less of you if they tried.

That was pretty funny Left myself open to that one.

#716 2 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Thread is about Playfield issues, which it appears you haven’t had, not about whether you like the game or not.

And you think the shit playfields weren't a large part of my deciding to sell? I might have given it more of a chance if it weren’t for the PFs falling apart.

#717 2 years ago

I don't read through all the posts, so I need a little clarification here. Is or isn't JJP willing to buy your game back for what you paid for it? If so, what more can you ask from JJP? Why not take them up on that if you are no longer able to enjoy your game? Here is an ad for a machine in perfect condition... so far. Pending sale.

Screenshot_20210530-083357_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210530-083357_Chrome (resized).jpg
    #718 2 years ago
    Quoted from thechakapakuni:

Yeah I can’t wait for JJP says “Because you installed non factory washers your warranty is void”

The warranty does not cover the playfield already. So that is a moot point.

#719 2 years ago
    Quoted from RA77:

@ HEP I love your work and amazing attention to detail. thank you for taking the time to provide your insight and experience with Mirco PF's.

JJP needs to get HEP onboard as some sort of consultant and have him fly over to Micro and see if he can aid in the processes somehow. Seriously, HEP is the best in the business and clearly assessed what is happening from some photos...hire this man immediately JJP!!!

#720 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

I enjoy you post immensely please keep them coming.

#721 2 years ago
    Quoted from JohnTTwo:

I enjoy you post immensely please keep them coming.

Well there will be no shortage of his posts I can guarantee.

#722 2 years ago
    Quoted from calprog:

JJP needs to refund monies to affected people!! I will never buy a JJP product again!!

I’m done defending JJP after this last round of fucked up playfields!
    But seriously your collection looks like an arcade called Stern Pinball!

#723 2 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

I’m done defending JJP after this last round of fucked up playfields!
    But seriously your collection looks like an arcade called Stern Pinball!

Never thought I’d see the day.

#724 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

Never thought I’d see the day.

I believe in intellectual honesty.
    When my side is wrong I will say so.
    I do it with political issues and Pinside issues.I don’t see this coming from to many Stern fans!

#725 2 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Damn...I'm on a "list" for a Toy Story CE.
    I know they'll sell out fast but this and other threads have me concerned.

I was seriously considering a Toy Story pin, but after the reoccurring playfield issues , I'm out!
    Hopefully,this issue will be taken care of,and if it is,I'll look for a HUO Toy Story.

I remember watching a special on Tv many years ago about the dangers of escalators. If a child placed their foot too close to the side of the escalator,it would pull their foot into the mechanism, and destroy their foot.
    Turns out it was cheaper to pay the lawsuits, than fix the problem!
    So maybe it's cheaper to just fix the people who complain,and hope the rest just let it slide?

Just for the record,If you look at newer escalators, there's a brush where the tread and the side of the escalator meet, preventing a child's foot from being pulled into the machine.

#726 2 years ago
    Quoted from RA77:

Agree, it appears that some playfields had better surface prep than others. There is no way the ink will adhere properly without the right surface. Also mentioned before over tourqe of posts will aggravate the problem.
    If a JJP GnR owner approached you for your amazing playfield treatment, would it be effective for affected playfields ? As sanding top coat will never get to the wood surface under the art where the problem is apparent. Could your treatment hold it together ?

There is no definitive answer unfortunately. The pictures that have been posted to this thread show at least two separate issues in my eyes(disclaimer).
    Some pictures show wrinkling down to the wood.
    I would consider this a ground floor adhesion issue if it were my problem and I was trying to solve it.

Other pictures show the topcoat separating from the art.
    That is a topcoat issue in my experience . Those are a bit more complex.
    Is the topcoat too soft?
    Maybe it’s actually hardening too much as it cures then cutting loose at the pressure points?
    Is it just not interacting well with the midcoat/art?

Reclearing one of these would likely help at the very least but there is little point in putting a new roof on the house if the foundation is cracked.

I would gladly give advice if ask but I am not at all interested in getting actually involved in this fiasco.
    Money isn’t everything.

#727 2 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

I was seriously considering a Toy Story pin, but after the reoccurring playfield issues , I'm out!
    Hopefully,this issue will be taken care of,and if it is,I'll look for a HUO Toy Story.
    I remember watching a special on Tv many years ago about the dangers of escalators. If a child placed their foot too close to the side of the escalator,it would pull their foot into the mechanism, and destroy their foot.
    So maybe it's cheaper to just fix the people who complain,and hope the rest just let it slide?
    Just for the record,If you look at newer escalators, there's a brush where the tread and the side of the escalator meet, preventing a child's foot from being pulled into the machine.

This is where I'm at. I've never bought a JJP game yet because none of the themes have really interested me, but Toy Story was likely going to be a day one order for our family. Not now though. It's just way too big a risk.

#728 2 years ago

I will never buy a NIB jersey jack again until they fix this issue. Really sad and embarrassed for JJP.

#729 2 years ago
    Quoted from High_End_Pins:

Reclearing one of these would likely help at the very least but there is little point in putting a new roof on the house if the foundation is cracked.
    I would gladly give advice if ask but I am not at all interested in getting actually involved in this fiasco.
    Money isn’t everything.

Again, Thank you so much for your valued feedback HEP.
    Fair call.

I am still waiting for my JJP GnR and have been somewhat disillusioned by the almighty Mirco QC stamp ??
    This was a goodwill token to say hey, this problem is resolved.

The reason I asked is we have a top gun playfield restorer here in Brisbane Australia and I don't want to waste his time polishing a turd, if you know what I mean.

So, I'm kinda confused and doing my best to be fair and reasonable.

#730 2 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

Same scenario with the infamous Ford Pinto. It was cheaper for Ford to pay the lawsuits than to install bladders inside the gas tanks to keep them from bursting and catching fire on impact.

#731 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

Not sure you realise this but you are coming across as JJP #1 crusader. If you want hired by Jack, submit your resume like everyone else, instead of fighting their corner every opportunity. It really is becoming painful to watch..... lol.

#732 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

I would guess 300-500.

Cool this looks like a fix for the time being. Until JJP offers new playfields once they figure out what is causing these issues. Not holding my breath on that option tho but who knows maybe that is what they are planning.

#733 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

Right? We find this one more difficult to tilt than the others. I don't know if it's a factor of where it is in the room upstairs, or what...we configured the bob like we normally do. That said I'm not inclined to make it tiltier either.

Who is we? The Pin Derek Gang you assembled after you found your new persona. You must be an important person now. No wonder you are holding on so tight. Embarrassing beyond belief.

#734 2 years ago
    Quoted from Extraballz:

Who is we? The Pin Derek Gang you assembled after you found your new persona. You must be an important person now. No wonder you are holding on so tight. Embarrassing beyond belief.

We is me and my wife. Asshole.

#735 2 years ago

"Jersey Junk".... I agree with ZR1. This is unfortunately the best new name for this company.

#736 2 years ago

Group hug anybody? I thought the focus here was about playfields.

#737 2 years ago
    Quoted from Vespula:

Group hug anybody? I thought the focus here was about playfields.

I wish Jersey Jack Pinball would focus on playfields.

623D839E-033A-43B7-8B55-0085CFD6C12F.gif623D839E-033A-43B7-8B55-0085CFD6C12F.gif
    #738 2 years ago

The pictures that have been posted to this thread show at least two separate issues in my eyes(disclaimer).
    Some pictures show wrinkling down to the wood.
    I would consider this a ground floor adhesion issue if it were my problem and I was trying to solve it.
    Other pictures show the topcoat separating from the art.
    That is a topcoat issue in my experience . Those are a bit more complex.

The fact that you can identify these two issues from photos alone and JJP and Micro can’t see the issues at all while simultaneously claiming they are not defective and meet their standards is incredible. JJP and Micro both need to call you immediately...JJP and Micro either (a) clearly lack baseline competence, or (b) are liars attempting to defraud people. I’ll start a poll in another thread.

Money isn’t everything.

This is a shame, they need you and so do we.

#739 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

When Zaphx unchained shows up, you know you've gone too far.

breaking_the_chains.gifbreaking_the_chains.gif
    #740 2 years ago
    Quoted from Sako-TRG:

Not sure you realise this but you are coming across as JJP #1 crusader. If you want hired by Jack, submit your resume like everyone else, instead of fighting their corner every opportunity. It really is becoming painful to watch..... lol.

Meh. I think he's just a level-headed guy trying to share what's worked for him to get through this nonsense with JJP playfields while nothing is happening with actual remediation for the problem from JJP. Having been accused of the same in JJP and Stern threads myself on various issues, I get it. I don't believe he is condoning JJPs terrible warranty change or their denials that there is a widespread problem. It seems like he's just trying to help people get back to playing a great pin in a way that will inflict the least amount of additional damage while this gets worked out (and it WILL get worked out, IMO).

#741 2 years ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Well there will be no shortage of his posts I can guarantee.

Quoted from zaphX:

So what?

Agree on you choice of names here

#742 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Wow...how many games on it (not that it makes a diff, just curious)?

About 500

#743 2 years ago

In lieu of me reading every post about fixes, can we identify who has done what and how it’s working so far? Washer size, plastic, rubber or metal. What size you used, etc... So far I think I need to do a complete tear down on my 5 mth old game to get to post that have been affected. It’s a damn same but it is what it is. I have not played it in 1 month. This issue has drained the fun out of playing and owning this game.

#744 2 years ago
    Quoted from Skyemont:

In lieu of me reading every post about fixes, can we identify who has done what and how it’s working so far? Washer size, plastic, rubber or metal. What size you used, etc... So far I think I need to do a complete tear down on my 5 mth old game to get to post that have been affected. It’s a damn same but it is what it is. I have not played it in 1 month. This issue has drained the fun out of playing and owning this game.

It’s sucks but if you take a day to tackle it can be done fairly simply. It seems like you aren’t a fan of the petg washers but I put Mylar + petg on nearly every post in my game (also flattened any pooling with the iron method) and have seen zero new issues in 5 months and 600+ plays. In areas where the larger washer would not work I used a rubber washer under a metal washer of the same size.The petg washers put slighty more pressure in the center while still spreading the force over a larger area that I believe makes it nearly impossible to form new pooling. Your other option is to do what HEP suggested with the smaller washers, that’s a interesting and potentially more elegant solution but your sort of hoping that damage doesn’t extend past the post coverage. I believe the larger washer will do a better job of prevent any damage while the HEP method sort of encourages more contained damage. Either way you should use Mylar and carefully flatten pooling with the iron, Good luck

#745 2 years ago
    Quoted from Skyemont:

I think that the carbon fiber rings Cliffy sells to arrest damage, topped with the same washer as originally on the machine is best. Mylar rings topped with whatever washer was originally on would be second. IMO.

I think that HEP is right that putting a bigger washer on is asking for trouble and just moving the damage area outward for future headaches. He has a lot of experience in playfields and clearing them, so I trust what he says.

#746 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

I think that the carbon fiber rings Cliffy sells to arrest damage, topped with the same washer as originally on the machine is best. Mylar rings topped with whatever washer was originally on would be second. IMO.
    I think that HEP is right that putting a bigger washer on is asking for trouble and just moving the damage area outward for future headaches. He has a lot of experience in playfields and clearing them, so I trust what he says.

That’s probably true if you torque down a huge metal washer but the petg washers have just enough flex to put slightly more pressure toward the center while still protecting edges and dissipating the overall force. FYI the cliffy washers are great but I’ve had issues with them sliding around in areas near pops because their center hole is so large.

#747 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

That’s probably true if you torque down a huge metal washer but the petg washers have just enough flex to put slightly more pressure toward the center while still protecting edges and dissipating the overall force. FYI the cliffy washers are great but I’ve had issues with them sliding around in areas near pops because their center hole is so large.

Cliff's carbon fiber rings were moving around? They have a pretty strong adhesive. Did you strip the wax off the playfield in the area first so they have a good surface to bond to?

Over a longer period of time, it will be clearer what works for the long term. For now all we have are theories and relatively short term observations. Hopefully this is the last release to have these widespread issues and JJP moves on to a new vendor solution...

#748 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Cliff's carbon fiber rings were moving around? They have a pretty strong adhesive. Did you strip the wax off the playfield in the area first so they have a good surface to bond to?
    Over a longer period of time, it will be clearer what works for the long term. For now all we have are theories and relatively short term observations. Hopefully this is the last release to have these widespread issues and JJP moves on to a new vendor solution...

Yes I placed them under the posts in the bumper area of Star Trek and they both shifted to one end of the post vs staying centered. The plastic posts are slightly larger than the washer hole so the vibration of the post shifted the washers. Area was cleaned thoroughly before I applied them. That said they work well around the metal posts in GnR to protect around the post since the diameter of the hole is the same as the metal posts.

#749 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Yes I placed them under the posts in the bumper area of Star Trek and they both shifted to one end of the post vs staying centered. The plastic posts are slightly larger than the washer hole so the vibration of the post shifted the washers. Area was cleaned thoroughly before I applied them. That said they work well around the metal posts in GnR to protect around the post since the diameter of the hole is the same as the metal posts.

Wow, that's crazy. Would have never guessed. I've never had them come off once stuck on the playfield. Granted, I haven't used a BUNCH, but still...

#750 2 years ago

Shed a tear cause I’m fixing you
    Still in a bit of denial
    I log in and check this thread everyday now

There are 878 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gnrce-playfield-issues/page/15?hl=cdonnerusmc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.