Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 878 posts
  • 203 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by leonml
  • Topic is favorited by 36 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“GNRCE Playfield issues!”

• No issues 34 votes
      30%
    • A few issues but I can deal with it 15 votes
      13%
    • I need a new playfield 63 votes
      56%

(112 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 11.02.03 PM (resized).png
    2C59A24D-B668-4C9B-B448-6C5C96A57878 (resized).jpeg
    4AB83D14-A6A4-4BCB-B3A9-C62901F8AB57 (resized).png
    24F4EACC-18BD-4C3A-BB1C-4EBECF729A5E.gif
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    96AFECF5-8006-4481-83F9-232B10BB796A (resized).jpeg
    F47BB7BD-444A-4776-96B8-3147FC4D52A9 (resized).png
    jjp-logo-compare.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    93CFD333-34C5-4DB3-ABFC-31CCBCF9E514 (resized).jpeg
    0A71BF84-51CB-4B9D-9E4C-0B45BCDDA9E1.jpeg
    B8A76BBC-CC62-4001-8ABA-C6275F81E85A (resized).jpeg
    breaking_the_chains.gif
    623D839E-033A-43B7-8B55-0085CFD6C12F.gif
    Screenshot_20210530-083357_Chrome (resized).jpg
    20210530_001747 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 878 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 18.
    #651 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chetrico:

Well, so much for that. I did exactly what JJP recommended by placing washers over the affected areas. Last night we put in a solid 2 to 3 hours on the machine. I just checked to see how it was looking and a little to my surprise, the damage has already extended past the 3/4 inch washers. I was trying to be optimistic but damn, looks like it is only going to get worse.

I think Chris from High End Pins has it right, saying that when you extend the washer, you just push out the surface for the damage to happen around the edges further. Smaller washer over larger mylar ring is the better way, IMO.

#652 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

I think Chris from High End Pins has it right, saying that when you extend the washer, you just push out the surface for the damage to happen around the edges further. Smaller washer over larger mylar ring is the better way, IMO.

Or small washer (the original) over carbon fiber.

IMG_0038.jpegIMG_0038.jpeg
    #653 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

Or small washer (the original) over carbon fiber.[quoted image]

For the fancy folks.

Cliffy is always a win.

#654 2 years ago
    Quoted from mostater:

As someone who has a downpayment on an LE and was hoping that this would be a fix, can you please post some pics. This is very discouraging news to say the least...

Obviously it’s your call but if I were in your shoes I’d cancel the order and tell them why.
    The market will be flooded w used GnR soon and if you still want one you can pick it up a lot cheaper.

This is coming from a CE owner waiting for the issues to surface!

#655 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

Do you think it will just start to poll around the carbon fiber washers like it does with the plastic washers or do you think the carbon fiber washers hold everything in place better? Are the carbon fiber washers like a sticker underneath like cliffy's other carbon fiber protectors?

#656 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

5bg11c (resized).jpg5bg11c (resized).jpg
    #657 2 years ago
    Quoted from Wheel_Jack:

Do you think it will just start to poll around the carbon fiber washers like it does with the plastic washers or do you think the carbon fiber washers hold everything in place better? Are the carbon fiber washers like a sticker underneath like cliffy's other carbon fiber protectors?

Yes they have strong adhesive.

#658 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

Yes they have strong adhesive.

How many plays since you did your fix?

#659 2 years ago
    Quoted from Wheel_Jack:

I’d love to see a photo of the damage extending past a 3/4 inch washer. I’ve had mylar and clear petg washers on my game for 5 months /600+ plays and have seen zero new damage to those areas. If you don’t over tighten I just don’t think there is enough pressure to cause pooling with a larger washer. To each their own though I’m just sharing my experience

#660 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Lol I think the news would be more interested in why grown men are spending 10k on a toy

Thanks for a good laugh. So true.

#661 2 years ago

Washer-gate

#662 2 years ago
    Quoted from Wheel_Jack:

How many plays since you did your fix?

I would guess 300-500.

#663 2 years ago

Yeah I can’t wait for JJP says “Because you installed non factory washers your warranty is void”

#664 2 years ago

Gotta love JJP position on this..... we recognize there’s an issue but instead of holding Mirco responsible we’ve updated our warranty to reflect that the playfield is not part of the warranty.

JJP’s hands are tied as they don’t have someone else to go to for pf.

#665 2 years ago
    Quoted from thechakapakuni:

Yeah I can’t wait for JJP says “Because you installed non factory washers your warranty is void”

Read previous posts, JJP has all but removed the pf from its warranty so it’s not an issue.

(I understand your post was sarcastic but it’s pathetic that JJP has gone down this road)

#666 2 years ago

I wonder if the new modified warranty will take effect for all deposits starting in May and the old warranty will apply for anything prior to May? Or will they say warranty starts on ship date.

#667 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

So I guess just keep stacking washers then?.. kind of reminds me of the last time I ate at Taco Town, I guess you just keep adding and adding.

#668 2 years ago

Why does everyone keep asking zaphX for advice?? He doesn't know anything above and beyond the rest of the people on here. He just posts a lot. He doesn't even care if the entire top layer of the playfield chips off in sheets.

#669 2 years ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

So I guess just keep stacking washers then?.. kind of reminds me of the last time I ate at Taco Town, I guess you just keep adding and adding.

No. You put down carbon fiber discs (think thicker than mylar) and the washers on top of those. Then you stop.

#670 2 years ago

Orders are being canceled daily!! Sad. Cool machine! Poor quality

#671 2 years ago
    Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Why does everyone keep asking zaphX for advice?? He doesn't know anything above and beyond the rest of the people on here. He just posts a lot. He doesn't even care if the entire top layer of the playfield chips off in sheets.

You're just mad that I'm not losing my shit about the playfield. I stopped the damage and covered it. I'm having fun playing the game.

#672 2 years ago
    Quoted from Betelgeuse:

He doesn't even care if the entire top layer of the playfield chips off in sheets.

Also let's not be hyperbolic. That hasn't happened to any of these games. Pooling and chipping around posts, yes. Coming off in sheets? No.

#673 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

Also let's not be hyperbolic. That hasn't happened to any of these games. Pooling and chipping around posts, yes. Coming off in sheets? No.

Fair point, it only flakes off on all of the impact points, rest of the play field is beautiful. Maybe someday JJP will design a pinball machine that can actually be played like a pinball machine.

#674 2 years ago
    Quoted from jandrea95:

Fair point, it only flakes off on all of the impact points, rest of the play field is beautiful.

Can confirm!

Quoted from jandrea95:

Maybe someday JJP will design a pinball machine that can actually be played like a pinball machine.

I'd argue this one can.
    IMG_0089.jpegIMG_0089.jpegIMG_0090.jpegIMG_0090.jpeg

#675 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

Can confirm!

I'd argue this one can.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

I think the most impressive stat is only 7 tilts in over 3200 games.

#676 2 years ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

I think the most impressive stat is only 7 tilts in over 3200 games.

Right? We find this one more difficult to tilt than the others. I don't know if it's a factor of where it is in the room upstairs, or what...we configured the bob like we normally do. That said I'm not inclined to make it tiltier either.

#677 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

Just wait. In a few years of play that Jersey Junk Pin will look like a plank of driftwood while the older W/B games will still look great.

#678 2 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Just wait. In a few years of play that Jersey Junk Pin will look like a plank of driftwood while the older W/B games will still look great.

Yeah that's what people said about POTC too. Last I checked CE value is 35K so.

#679 2 years ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

I just really wish Taco Town was real. I’d eat that shit right up

#680 2 years ago

Mine with a Nov 2020 playfield date.

20210522_173024 (resized).jpg20210522_173024 (resized).jpg20210522_173027 (resized).jpg20210522_173027 (resized).jpg20210522_173052 (resized).jpg20210522_173052 (resized).jpg20210522_173553 (resized).jpg20210522_173553 (resized).jpg20210522_182528 (resized).jpg20210522_182528 (resized).jpg20210523_130310 (resized).jpg20210523_130310 (resized).jpg
    #681 2 years ago

Seems like the error beside bad playfield prepping is artwork under the posts. I’m betting this will be bare wood in the future. Total rookie move

#682 2 years ago

That hurts to look at. Sorry buddy.

#683 2 years ago
    Quoted from Antron77:

Man, that is terrible. I’m so sorry for everyone going through this.

I thought JJP said on a podcast they fixed this issue. Was that just utter BS to keep the purchasing coming in? Maybe JJP could sub contract their playfields to Spooky (I understand Spooky doesn’t do the playfields themselves either, but at least their QC and their sub contractor for playfields are fantastic).

#684 2 years ago
    Quoted from calprog:

Orders are being canceled daily!! Sad. Cool machine! Poor quality

I just feel bad for @hogbog. Delivered ALL the goods for JJP TWICE in a ROW and both times his party cake got pissed on. Has to be a drag.

#685 2 years ago
    Quoted from Antron77:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Disaster!
    No excuse.

#686 2 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

JJP POTC: Fool me once.
    JJP WONKA: Fool me twice.
    JJP GNR: Fool me three times....shame on me.
    JJP Toy Story: They will sell every CE, and playfields will melt again. When will people ante up and stop buying their games? JJP's CE "buy back" that no person is going to take them up on, is a middle finger to everyone who has been affected by this, because they know you all will be right back in again on the next hot theme.

JJP needs to refund monies to affected people!! I will never buy a JJP product again!!

#687 2 years ago

Just glad I am not a huge Guns n Roses fan.

#688 2 years ago
    Quoted from Antron77:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wow...how many games on it (not that it makes a diff, just curious)?

#689 2 years ago
    Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Just glad I am not a huge Guns n Roses fan.

Yeah my KISS 78 is not doing this, and it’s over 40 years old

#690 2 years ago

Despite the issues I still stand by Jersey Jack. All NIB warranties are very short and limited. If it's damaged in freight refuse it or make careful notes on delivery. There are lots of notes on the internet about how to do this.

Here goes:

I started the pinball hobby in 2007. I used to post on the old Yahoo boards (wild west with no moderator) when Clay was giving us manuals on how to fix pinball games. Prices for the games were fairly low. Then in 2008 I started attending the Texas Pinball Festival to find parts to fix them (digging through piles of corroded boards and play-fields) as there weren't many vendors with replacements. I used to buy my games from Craigslist. I built my collection to almost 8 games before divorce set in and I had to sell most of them. I had to learn how to fix and restore my games because they were barely working or busted. I lost over 7k on all of those sales. Older games need a lot of maintenance and cost a lot of money to restore. The old games I have remaining need occasional maintenance even though the boards and connectors are new or rebuilt. After a few years I remember going to a seminar at TPF and listening to somebody named Jersey Jack in 2012. I heard a some interesting conversations and ate a lot of good pizza but didn't have $ 7500 for a new game and it was a new company.

Forward to 2016: I finally bought a Hobbit LE in March 2016 with the optional play-field protector. It was a RISK in my opinion. I had to wait 9 months and it only had a short warranty. Was his company going to be in business in a few years? It was delivered in December 2016. It worked right out of the box but had a few minor issues. I knew the warranty window was very short so I played the hell out of it. There was a big CD manual but I always emailed or called Jersey Jack and got prompt replies for the rare service breakdown or went to Pinside. I still get fast responses for minor "ghosts in the machine."

Forward to 2020: I decided to order another Jersey Jack Pinball... GNR.

Over the last 3 weeks I've read over 2000 posts on the Jersey Jack GNR play-field issues. I've also read about 400 posts on the warranty change and that topic is just getting started. Why do I read the posts? Because I bought-in again and there are some really good guys on Pinside that help you fix your games and share the love of the hobby. I ordered from Jersey Jack directly (October 11) and I haven't received my game. That is no complaint as I had to wait 9 months for the Hobbit back in 2016. I agree it's unfortunate about ALL apparent issues but that's NIB pinball.

Would I buy another NIB pinball. Maybe...

#691 2 years ago

Mine is a LE, but just noticed art chipping on the post by the pop bumpers. Seems to me like they will all chip around the posts in time. I think it’s an unacceptable manufacturing defect. Can’t justify buying another JJP with this problem. Stern’s aren’t much better with chipping around ball guides. These playfields are just crap. Too bad bc it’s a great game.

CF1FE7BD-2CF3-46B8-B3B2-913CF71BC680 (resized).jpegCF1FE7BD-2CF3-46B8-B3B2-913CF71BC680 (resized).jpeg
    #692 2 years ago

Here’s a PF that is 25 years old and the artwork is still on it. Wow, and Jersey Junk won’t last a couple months. Fucking shame on them.
    I bet the new one that I swapped this one out for won’t last as long. I’ll probably send this one out to be restored amd put it back.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #693 2 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Here’s a PF that is 25 years old and the artwork is still on it. Wow, and Jersey Junk won’t last a couple months. Fucking shame on them.
    I bet the new one that I swapped this one out for won’t last as long. I’ll probably send this one out to be restored amd put it back.
    [quoted image]

Who made the replacement PF?

#694 2 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

[quoted image]

Look man you already said you couldn't figure out the game, hated it, and sold it. Why do you keep beating this horse?

#695 2 years ago

What difference does it make to you? Why? Because I got screwed on WoZ by Jack. The PF fell apart and the asshole , only after badgering him incessantly, sent me a PF that should have been thrown in the trash. I had to buy one at cost. After one thing after the other broke I sold it. I took a chance on GnR because it was supposed to be the be all and end all of pinball and sold a restored Funhouse that I restored myself and can never get back to get it. We were told this shit would be taken care of. So I get it and not only do the rules suck bit the PFs are falling apart. So, do you keep it and see if it gets better or dump it before it grenades? I chose to dump it. My FH is still gone. Not to mention I despise entities that screw over people and refuse to accept responsibility. I’m a damn used car dealer and I don’t screw people over like that. And by the way I did figure out the game, hit each shot enough times and play multiple multi balls while doing it then start the song and aim for the red amd yellow shots which is all of them, collect a jackpot or start the song over and do it over and over again. It’s a flail fest. I never got so tired of multiballs since I discovered pinball. So again, what’s it to you? Am I not allowed a voice just because I sold my game before it started to fall apart? That being said, for the sake of the pinsider that bought it I hope the game is one of the few that stays together and he enjoys it more than I did.

#696 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

Yeah that's what people said about POTC too. Last I checked CE value is 35K so.

For 35k, I have to admit, I am tempted. I even have the Lior Dauntless ship mod.

Also comes with this limited edition William Silvers framed artwork.

20210530_001747 (resized).jpg20210530_001747 (resized).jpg
    #697 2 years ago
    Quoted from Genjuro:

For 35k, I have to admit, I am tempted. I even have the Lior Dauntless ship mod.

I played it last night and it made me feel bad for considering the sale.

If someone offered me 40 I'd probably take it.

#698 2 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

What difference does it make to you? Why? Because I got screwed on WoZ by Jack. The PF fell apart and the asshole , only after badgering him incessantly, sent me a PF that should have been thrown in the trash. I had to buy one at cost. After one thing after the other broke I sold it. I took a chance on GnR because it was supposed to be the be all and end all of pinball and sold a restored Funhouse that I restored myself and can never get back to get it. We were told this shit would be taken care of. So I get it and not only do the rules suck bit the PFs are falling apart. So, do you keep it and see if it gets better or dump it before it grenades? I chose to dump it. My FH is still gone. Not to mention I despise entities that screw over people and refuse to accept responsibility. I’m a damn used car dealer and I don’t screw people over like that. And by the way I did figure out the game, hit each shot enough times and play multiple multi balls while doing it then start the song and aim for the red amd yellow shots which is all of them, collect a jackpot or start the song over and do it over and over again. It’s a flail fest. I never got so tired of multiballs since I discovered pinball. So again, what’s it to you? Am I not allowed a voice just because I sold my game before it started to fall apart? That being said, for the sake of the pinsider that bought it I hope the game is one of the few that stays together and he enjoys it more than I did.

Well clearly you've got a different experience with JJP. Burned once, gave them a second chance, then (almost) burned again. I'm sorry that you didn't have a better experience, but at least you got out with a little profit.

#699 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

I played it last night and it made me feel bad for considering the sale.
    If someone offered me 40 I'd probably take it.

Yeah, but for 40k, does yours comes with artwork?

#700 2 years ago
    Quoted from Genjuro:

Yeah, but for 40k, does yours comes with artwork?

Yep. Nothing at all showing damage. The stuff that did was sling posts (covered with larger posts, has not recurred) and tortuga (covered with cliffy).

It looks great.

There are 878 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gnrce-playfield-issues/page/14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.