Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 878 posts
  • 203 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by leonml
  • Topic is favorited by 36 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“GNRCE Playfield issues!”

• No issues 34 votes
      30%
    • A few issues but I can deal with it 15 votes
      13%
    • I need a new playfield 63 votes
      56%

(112 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 11.02.03 PM (resized).png
    2C59A24D-B668-4C9B-B448-6C5C96A57878 (resized).jpeg
    4AB83D14-A6A4-4BCB-B3A9-C62901F8AB57 (resized).png
    24F4EACC-18BD-4C3A-BB1C-4EBECF729A5E.gif
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    96AFECF5-8006-4481-83F9-232B10BB796A (resized).jpeg
    F47BB7BD-444A-4776-96B8-3147FC4D52A9 (resized).png
    jjp-logo-compare.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    93CFD333-34C5-4DB3-ABFC-31CCBCF9E514 (resized).jpeg
    0A71BF84-51CB-4B9D-9E4C-0B45BCDDA9E1.jpeg
    B8A76BBC-CC62-4001-8ABA-C6275F81E85A (resized).jpeg
    breaking_the_chains.gif
    623D839E-033A-43B7-8B55-0085CFD6C12F.gif
    Screenshot_20210530-083357_Chrome (resized).jpg
    20210530_001747 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 878 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 18.
    #601 2 years ago

I just put in my claim and was asked to send pictures today which I did (these).

Will the iron method do any good here? It does seem like there is a pool going on that could be flattened. I’d imagine it will help to level that high point out, but I’d imagine the white marks will remain.

Mylar rings and plastic washers on order, but maybe I’ll need to use another washer to actually cover the wear. I guess I’ll find out in a week or so.

1CE50B9C-E658-4DB9-B368-6B085CE5B660 (resized).png1CE50B9C-E658-4DB9-B368-6B085CE5B660 (resized).png83CC5FF7-311A-4FB6-9BA5-E1974054735F (resized).png83CC5FF7-311A-4FB6-9BA5-E1974054735F (resized).png
    #602 2 years ago
    Quoted from micro:

I just put in my claim and was asked to send pictures today which I did (these).
    Will the iron method do any good here? It does seem like there is a pool going on that could be flattened. I’d imagine it will help to level that high point out, but I’d imagine the white marks will remain.
    Mylar rings and plastic washers on order, but maybe I’ll need to use another washer to actually cover the wear. I guess I’ll find out in a week or so. [quoted image][quoted image]

It’s hard to tell honestly because this looks different than traditional pooling/chipping.

I have an early run SE that had some pooling. I got a small chip on that same post because the post became completely loose and smashed around the pooling before I caught it. That post isn’t held by nut below and in my game it literally was almost flying off. I fixed the chip and eliminated all my pooling using the ironing method and applying Mylar and petg washers. I’ve since put 600+ games on and I have seen zero new issues or pooling.

What you have looks more like tearing/wrinkling of the paint. Is the clear still over the exposed areas or is that chipping? Is it like flaking/crumbling when you touch it?

#603 2 years ago

Seriously. How hard is it to find the people who made the diamond plated playfields for Bally-Williams or even playfields for Zaccaria? I mean, can’t they just consult those people on their process? Can’t be that hard.

#604 2 years ago
    Quoted from GTO:

Seriously. How hard is it to find the people who made the diamond plated playfields for Bally-Williams or even playfields for Zaccaria? I mean, can’t they just consult those people on their process? Can’t be that hard.

It's not that simple. The root problem may be the digital printing process itself. In olden times before our current environmental regulations, Diamond plating was done on SCREENED playfields with more/different VOCs. The problems we're seeing now seemed to start when the digital printing was used for playfields. That interaction between the wood and the paint and the clear is the mystery. Putting diamond plate on digital printing may be just as bad, or even worse.

BUT, that said, there should have been a LOT more progress toward a solution in the last 4 years or so. Or, if they can't get it right, just go back to screening playfields until they can.

#605 2 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

So you have some proof that fixing this problem at a post that shows up after a few hundred plays will Not effect the Rest of the playfield after say a year or more?? I would like to see that report.

Ideally figuring out and fixing the underlying issue of either the ink used, curing time, etc that is causing the issue would be better.

Quoted from GTO:

I agree with this. Hopefully somebody that knows someone is a pinside member reading this thread; and can get the word out to those who worked on dependable playfields of the past that their consulting services are needed.

#606 2 years ago

I’m OUT! Canceled my GnR LE and am picking up a STTNG this weekend! Couldn’t be happier and saved a ton of cash

#607 2 years ago

STTNG is a great Game . Used to be my Grail before Met Prem/ Then Met Prem Lost our to GnrCe
    Still have all three

#608 2 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

I’m OUT! Canceled my GnR LE and am picking up a STTNG this weekend! Couldn’t be happier and saved a ton of cash

Yes if there's a game that's sure to be a trouble-free ownership experience it's STTNG!

#609 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yes if there's a game that's sure to be a trouble-free ownership experience it's STTNG!

At least I know I can fix it! Pool and chipping…..Fucked.

#610 2 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

How so? Ball doesn’t roll on pooled playfields? How have we been playing games from the last 5 years?

#611 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

How so? Ball doesn’t roll on pooled playfields? How have we been playing games from the last 5 years?

UGH. Whatever.

#612 2 years ago
    Quoted from micro:

Mylar rings and plastic washers on order, but maybe I’ll need to use another washer to actually cover the wear. I guess I’ll find out in a week or so. [quoted image][quoted image]

Looking at your pic it does look repairable However as you submitted a claim I would strongly advise waiting to hear what they say if anything. Just an opinion.

#613 2 years ago

Why don’t you guys start calling the news channels. Couple of them did a piece on JJP’s hot new G&R Pinball..

Let’s see if they are interested in the customers that got it and it’s plagued with issues.

Bet one call to JJP from them with a care to comment before we run this story.. and they will sort playfields out quicker than a Tramp on chips!

#614 2 years ago
    Quoted from DerGoetz:

JJP
    Just Junk Playfields
    Slogan for the back

Jersey Jack

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

LOL.

#615 2 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

I have a couple friends who also canceled their LE order. This is gonna hurt JJP. They said they will never buy a JJP game again. I want to JJP succeed, I hope they can find a solution to these issues.

#616 2 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

I have a couple friend who also canceled their LE order. This is gonna hurt JJP. They said they will never buy a JJP game again. I want to JJP succeed, I hope they can find a solution to these issues.

I’ll never buy another one either. They keep cranking out shit playfields and then modify their warranty to exclude shit playfields. Excuse me? Bye

#617 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I opened a NIB STTNG in 2008. Haven’t had one issue, and the playfield isn’t made of wrapping paper.

#618 2 years ago

Not wrong at all. 8 months and counting now for my replacement Stern JP playfield. June 2020 build. Pooling at most ball guides.

#619 2 years ago

Anyone have a washer count and size to do all of the posts in the game? Figured I’d bandaid my 13k game while JJP gets their head out of their ass.

#620 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

Anyone have a washer count and size to do all of the posts in the game? Figured I’d bandaid my 13k game while JJP gets their head out of their ass.

The first ones to check are the ones with no rubbers: left inline and upper playfield.

Then check the two by the AXL lanes, and the one by the Pyro target.

Those were the ones I found with visible damage to cover, anyway.

#621 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

The first ones to check are the ones with no rubbers: left inline and upper playfield.

Too funny - I just sent you a PM prior to seeing this! Lol

#622 2 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

Quoted from EricHadley:

Yes and Yes. Good for you. What some here don’t seem to know is there was a time when a person could have lots of fun playing pinball and at the same time keep a very nice machine. That matters to some who used to have that option. With a defective playfield you have 0% chance of keeping a nice machine. In the past in most cases a good coat of wax and some small things you could fix/replace yourself was all you needed to keep your machines real nice if you wanted.

#623 2 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Looking at your pic it does look repairable However as you submitted a claim I would strongly advise waiting to hear what they say if anything. Just an opinion.

Yeah. This is probably the right call. I’ll see what they say first.

Thanks for the help guys.

#624 2 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

You know JJP GNR QC is bad when you buy STTNG and it has less maintenance. And if you’ve owned any SuperPin, you know that’s 10-20 hours per week. Yikes!

#625 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

Then check the two by the AXL lanes, and the one by the Pyro target.
    Those were the ones I found with visible damage to cover, anyway.

A practical question: from the pictures I can see that the upper playfield post without rubber is screwed into the playfield with a metal washer underneath, so it should not be a problem to unscrew that post. However the left inline post is directly screwed into the playfield without a washer, so I hesitate unscrewing the post, because it might happen that you damage the clear and the art just by the unscrewing process, especially if the post is overscrewed into the playfield. I think somebody here on pinside reported that this happened to him. What do you think?

I get my game in the next 10 days hopefully. In the moment I tend to install washers on the upper playfield post, but to leave the left post as it is. Instead I will put a rubber on it which may avoid that the power from the ball contact will directly transferred to the post (metal to metal contact) instead of compensated partially by the rubber (metal to rubber contact). I will add a rubber to the upper playfield post as well. May influence the gameplay a bit, but avoiding a damage over compensates it for me.

#626 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinhead1982:

Why don’t you guys start calling the news channels. Couple of them did a piece on JJP’s hot new G&R Pinball..
    Let’s see if they are interested in the customers that got it and it’s plagued with issues.

i think you're confusing their inability to fix the issue, with lack of interest. the only thing that would be accomplished by smearing them in the news would be to destroy the company's reputation, morale, and relationships going forward. that neither fixes the playfields, nor makes it likely that they can continue to design more pinball in the future. and frankly, is just really mean-spirited and messed up.

#627 2 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

i think you're confusing their inability to fix the issue, with lack of interest. the only thing that would be accomplished by smearing them in the news would be to destroy the company's reputation, morale, and relationships going forward. that neither fixes the playfields, nor makes it likely that they can continue to design more pinball in the future. and frankly, is just really mean-spirited and messed up.

I totally agree.

Still wouldn’t it be fun to watch some local news hack chasing Jack around a parking lot with rapid fire questions like “Sir what are you doing about these playfields? And when did you stop beating your wife? Sir? SIR? Don’t you think the public deserves an answer?!”

#628 2 years ago

Lol I think the news would be more interested in why grown men are spending 10k on a toy

#629 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Lol I think the news would be more interested in why grown men are spending 10k on a toy

If that were actually true, then you are the perfect spokesperson to answer that. . Unless you're 12, of course.

#630 2 years ago
    Quoted from Vespula:

If that were actually true, then you are the perfect spokesperson to answer that. . Unless you're 12, of course.

I don’t have a media scrapbook but I’m pretty sure “the news” already does several stories a year about grown men playing pinball. We see them all the time!

Googling “pinball wizard” under news should be fruitful!

#631 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don’t have a media scrapbook but I’m pretty sure “the news” already does several stories a year about grown men playing pinball. We see them all the time!

SMH. I guess where the media is concerned anything goes.. I shouldn't be surprised by this.

#632 2 years ago
    Quoted from Vespula:

SMH. I guess where the media is concerned anything goes.. I shouldn't be surprised by this.

Generally around here it’s viewed as a good thing?

“Hey everybody my local news did a story on my game room!”

#633 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Generally around here it’s viewed as a good thing?
    “Hey everybody my local news did a story on my game room!”

So the original comment was the news spin on why a grown man would spend 10k on a toy... I didn't have any context on whether it was a positive news story or negative one... Since news and media was involved I naturally leaned towards the negative.... I probably jumped to conclusions a little fast. . Glad to know these news stories are shown in a positive context.

#634 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Game gets a bad rep, but it's no worse than other wpcs. I've owned one for years with very few issues. Worked on others as well. Easy machine to work on.

#635 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Game gets a bad rep, but it's no worse than other wpcs. I've owned one for years with very few issues. Worked on others as well. Easy machine to work on.

Yeah but when it goes wrong it goes all the way, lol. I do love STTNG tho, it’s definitely got the most awesome and complex subway system you will ever see on a pin.

#636 2 years ago
    Quoted from gunstarhero:

Yeah but when it goes wrong it goes all the way, lol. I do love STTNG tho, it’s definitely got the most awesome and complex subway system you will ever see on a pin.

The problem is just one flaky opto or even a stuck ball can cause a mess of trouble, and never has a game been built that handles ball count confusion on the playfield worse than STTNG. Always frustrating to have a multiball or Final Frontier end early, or have a multiball end only to have the game go to bonus countdown with a ball still on the playfield.

I like the game a lot and I've owned several but I think its reputation is a justified. There's a reason you almost never see that game in tournaments.

#637 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The problem is just one flaky opto or even a stuck ball can cause a mess of trouble, and never has a game been built that handles ball count confusion on the playfield worse than STTNG. Always frustrating to have a multiball or Final Frontier end early, or have a multiball end only to have the game go to bonus countdown with a ball still on the playfield.
    I like the game a lot and I've owned several but I think its reputation is a justified. There's a reason you almost never see that game in tournaments.

Well that and you can stall out modes.

#638 2 years ago
    Quoted from gunstarhero:

Well that and you can stall out modes.

Which leads to Final Frontier which is almost guaranteed to cause the game to meltdown in an orgy of confusion!!

#639 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Which leads to Final Frontier which is almost guaranteed to cause the game to meltdown in an orgy of confusion!!

Because you stalled out modes!!

#640 2 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

Smearing their reputation.. we are showing facts, so what if it does destroy their reputation.. they are doing that themselves.. tell you what we can all just piss an moan on here while the playfields continue to chip and pool.

Mean spirited - mean spirited is continuing to sell games. At $10K with known defects, changing the warranty wording on the sly and refusing to do anything about it.. that is mean spirited and not a company standing by its product

#641 2 years ago
    Quoted from gunstarhero:

Because you stalled out modes!!

Classic chicken or egg dilema!

#642 2 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

I think JJP has behaved in a mean spirited and messed up way.

#643 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinhead1982:

Smearing their reputation.. we are showing facts, so what if it does destroy their reputation.. they are doing that themselves.. tell you what we can all just piss an moan on here while the playfields continue to chip and pool.
    Mean spirited - mean spirited is continuing to sell games. At $10K with known defects, changing the warranty wording on the sly and refusing to do anything about it.. that is mean spirited and not a company standing by its product

ok, then let's just say that informing the media about a playfield issue at a pinball machine company assumes that anyone other than all the people who already know about this issue give a shit.

#644 2 years ago

If anyone here is from Massachusetts call Solve it 7. Our local news networks will get to the bottom of this........

#645 2 years ago

Well, so much for that. I did exactly what JJP recommended by placing washers over the affected areas. Last night we put in a solid 2 to 3 hours on the machine. I just checked to see how it was looking and a little to my surprise, the damage has already extended past the 3/4 inch washers. I was trying to be optimistic but damn, looks like it is only going to get worse.

#646 2 years ago

Really think they should remove the art around all posts like stern did. Sterns since JP have been pretty darn solid when it comes to pooling/chipping. Im not saying it doesnt happen, but we havent seen any widespread pooling/chipping issues there since they did that i beiieve.

I did just sell my LE. Was just scared to play the darn thing…

#647 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chetrico:

Well, so much for that. I did exactly what JJP recommended by placing washers over the affected areas. Last night we put in a solid 2 to 3 hours on the machine. I just checked to see how it was looking and a little to my surprise, the damage has already extended past the 3/4 inch washers. I was trying to be optimistic but damn, looks like it is only going to get worse.

They are telling us to put lipstick on a pig. They are knowingly selling defective products. Its a dead horse at this point, but until they do SOMETHING, may as well keep beating it.

#648 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chetrico:

CA3F759F-BA80-4566-A4A7-D0725EF518A3 (resized).jpegCA3F759F-BA80-4566-A4A7-D0725EF518A3 (resized).jpeg
    #649 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chetrico:

Can you share some photos?

#650 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chetrico:

As someone who has a downpayment on an LE and was hoping that this would be a fix, can you please post some pics. This is very discouraging news to say the least...

There are 878 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gnrce-playfield-issues/page/13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.