Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Baiter
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I have a really nice fully shopped gnr I was thinking about trading for a wh20. I only have a few games on wh20, but for some reason it's one I'd like to own. I do love gnr and it looks bad ass with leds. Super fun pin to play.

Anyway, what are your thoughts? And please only comments for those who have time on both.

#2 6 years ago

We actually have both and that is a tough decision.

GnR is pretty unique but it is less challenging from a gameplay standpoint. It is my wife's favorite even though she rarely plays. Obviously this one has a better soundtrack than most other machines, including WH2O. The magnets add a bit to the gameplay and the creative artwork and other elements make this a better machine long-term if you have room and the ability to have more than 6 machines. We have between 8-10 as things come and go and this one has been here since June 2006. It is the only Data East machine that has lasted more than a month here.

GnR appeals more to guests and casual players at our house.

Whitewater is faster and more challenging (here since Nov 2007). I play it more often than GnR, but it is not in my top 3 overall (ACDC, STTNG, Whirlwind and others are better IMO). It drains far easier than GnR. It requires a variety of shots to get Vacation Jackpot and it does flow better than GnR.

Ultimately, I suggest that you proceed with a sell and buy (unlikely trade I think), assuming that it is a for really nice WH2O. I believe that it is much more difficult to find a GnR in good shape.

#3 6 years ago

Thanks EEE. Great write up.

I basically stumbled into my gnr at a bar being used for years. Shopped it, and it's gorgeous. Basically never touched.

I know GNR is hard to find, so maybe I should contemplate selling something else in order to fund a wh20. I do love gnr....

#4 6 years ago

IMHO GnR is the keeper, especially if you're a fan. Depending on your location, you might not see another GnR for a long while, Whitewaters are a dime a dozen in comparison (7008 W20s vs 3000 GnRs.............).

Again just my 2 cents...

#5 6 years ago

Can't comment on which to go with but I agree with the rarity of nice GnR's being scarce. I've played both but not enough to warrant a valuable comparison. Keep the GnR if at all possible.

#6 6 years ago

I think both would be keepers.

WH20 is one of my all time favorite games, though. Probably 2nd favorite behind Whirlwind.

#7 6 years ago

I own both. Both leave when I die.

#8 6 years ago

I had GNR for 3 months and have had WH20 for 3 years and it will never leave. GNR is cool but the game play and hearing Welcome to the Jungle at the start of every game got old. WH20 never gets old and I play it every couple of days in a 9 pin collection. I can never play just one game more like 4-5 every time I turn it on. It is challenging and all the shots are fun. A top 5 game in my opinion and I have owned 42 games.

#9 6 years ago

I also have both. Finding another Wh2O is easy. Finding another GnR not so much. They are both very different games, but the GnR gets more attention (especially from non-pinhead friends) than any of my other games.

#10 6 years ago

Thanks guys.

Really leaning towards keeping it. I do love playing it and it's super nice. And you're right, wh20 is much easier to find. I guess I need to stop the "gotta have it now" thinking...

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I own both. Both leave when I die.

GLWS?

#13 6 years ago

I've owned both, sold both. GnR I've bought/sold twice. Only reason I got rid of it the second time was to chase a MM. GnR is on my radar again at some point. WH20 not so much, despite that excellent left ramp/waterfall shot. I'd keep the GnR.

#14 6 years ago

Guns and Roses is a DE game, and with few exceptions, is a lesser game than most B/W games. Wh2o is one of the better games from B/W and while some people call it a "B" title, this deck has more game in it than most modern Stern games. The playfield is asymmetrical and while some people lament the lack of shots from the lower left flipper, this game has enough nearly vertical shots in the center of the PF to still challenge the accuracy of even center of the PF shots.

GnR also has two big things going against it.
1) The rules, with SO much to do on the PF... the rules aren't that great at utilizing all the shots and score imbalances are many to had.

2) Axl Rose.

Have fun with your pinball collection!

#15 6 years ago

Side note: thanks Caucasian2step. When buying pins, I always check reviews on pinside and always scan the list for yours. Always well done.

Thanks guys

#16 6 years ago

Hey Blackbeard curious as to how you like having GNR & TFTC. I always loved playing TFTC back in the day and the show still as well. How do you like having both as I have thought about getting a GNR someday down the road but probably could never give up my first real DMD pin TFTC. Just curious. White water has gron on my lately but I could never get ride of DE best GNR.

#17 6 years ago

Their both my two latest pins. First TFTC, and then GNR. Both were basically spur of the moment type buys, as I'm generally a W/B Wpc owner. I was always a bit skeptical of DE.

They are very similar in that there are a bunch of modes, which are tough to complete en route to a wizard mode. They both are also similar in getting to the main multiball mode.

I have been playing these two moreso than any other pins I own, and that's including my congo, bsd, and TS. I think the reason I love them is that the rulesheets aren't too difficult to understand, but the pins are tough to beat, i.e. get all modes and grab wizard mode.

GNR is just super cool with the magnets. Totally randomizes any multiball action going on. It's a bit better than TFTC, as there is just more going on in the pf. The captive ball is utilized better too as it's easier to hit and has more things going on with it.

I hope TFTC gets it's new code soon....

#18 6 years ago

GnR for me. I have always liked rock music, and GnR is the only music pin that came out when the band was still somewhat relevant. I don't put on their records anymore, but while playing the game they still sound good. And it's in stereo. It was a game of it's time and came fully loaded with just about any playfield feature you could want. The rules for the game are challenging enough that rarely if ever does it get beat.

Whitewater is fun, but not worth the money to me.

#19 6 years ago

Also, TFTC was somewhat a pita to shop, but GNR was a walk in the park for some reason.

#20 6 years ago

Nice write up o-din.

The furthest I've gotten (and haven't been even close to this far again) was all band members awarded/multiball played and Riot Multiball flashing but I couldn't grab it. SOOO close.

Wicked game

#21 6 years ago

Plus RIOT multiball on GnR is so much fun, and intense.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Nice write up o-din.

The furthest I've gotten (and haven't been even close to this far again) was all band members awarded/multiball played and Riot Multiball flashing but I couldn't grab it. SOOO close.

Wicked game

Thanks! i used to add band members whenever possible to crank up the multiball. I love Nighttrain! But lately I am getting a renewed enjoyment by starting and completing modes instead. Just like you I'm getting SOOO close to Riot.

This was my first machine I bought, and had to have been one of the coolest games I found on route back in the 90s. It's never leaving!

#24 6 years ago

Personal preference of course, but it is a lot easier to listen to Axl Rose than Brian Johnson.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

Guns and Roses is a DE game, and with few exceptions, is a lesser game than most B/W games. Wh2o is one of the better games from B/W and while some people call it a "B" title, this deck has more game in it than most modern Stern games. The playfield is asymmetrical and while some people lament the lack of shots from the lower left flipper, this game has enough nearly vertical shots in the center of the PF to still challenge the accuracy of even center of the PF shots.
GnR also has two big things going against it.
1) The rules, with SO much to do on the PF... the rules aren't that great at utilizing all the shots and score imbalances are many to had.
2) Axl Rose.
Have fun with your pinball collection!

lower left? there's the center lock, disaster drop ramp, boulder orbit, red and white targets and extra ball target for that flipper

#26 6 years ago

Alright, I'm gonna take a step back here and state two things about GnR. The good things.

1) Slash. He's awesome and was even involved in the dev process. I have no idea what that really means or how deep that is, but good on him. Axl Rose still the reason why I put headphones on when I listen to this deck. Last night was a King Megatrip remix featuring... AC/DC! If you like mashup mixes, check out: http://megatrip.blogspot.com/

2) Multiball ruleset. It's quite good. ramps to a small super at the left lock lane, ramps and the super jack at the upper loop. Way sweet! It's just that, that makes it great for a comparison to a system 11 game. The modes are lackluster, unbalancing and for the most part, uninspired. So I rock the multiball utilizing a backhand shot from the right flipper. Over and over and over and over and over and over until multiball activates.

I will admit that, putting up 2.34 bil last night in league was satisfying. Select super pops, hit the multiball... rinse and repeat!

As for the Wh2o comparison. Most of the shots from the lower left flipper are not in the "sweetspot" of the flipper other than the lane through the pops which is most dangerous.

#27 6 years ago

I own both... this would be a tough call. My suggestion; sell something else!

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

Alright, I'm gonna take a step back here and state two things about GnR. The good things.
1) Slash. He's awesome and was even involved in the dev process. I have no idea what that really means or how deep that is, but good on him. Axl Rose still the reason why I put headphones on when I listen to this deck. Last night was a King Megatrip remix featuring... AC/DC! If you like mashup mixes, check out: http://megatrip.blogspot.com/
2) Multiball ruleset. It's quite good. ramps to a small super at the left lock lane, ramps and the super jack at the upper loop. Way sweet! It's just that, that makes it great for a comparison to a system 11 game. The modes are lackluster, unbalancing and for the most part, uninspired. So I rock the multiball utilizing a backhand shot from the right flipper. Over and over and over and over and over and over until multiball activates.
I will admit that, putting up 2.34 bil last night in league was satisfying. Select super pops, hit the multiball... rinse and repeat!
As for the Wh2o comparison. Most of the shots from the lower left flipper are not in the "sweetspot" of the flipper other than the lane through the pops which is most dangerous.

That's what I do (or at least try to do). I generally initiate super pops at plunge. Then try to backhard the members from the right flipper.

I agree with Kerry too, I'll probably make this a keeper. The more I play it the more I love it. Just well done and fun. The magnets are terrific.

#29 6 years ago

Sold my GNR recently and I definitely miss it. Great pin.

#30 6 years ago

I have owned both, miss GNR!

#31 6 years ago

GnR would be awesome if the rules and playfield were tweaked. Everything about it is great, the music, artwork, vibe, etc, but when you actually play it the game just doesn't hold up. The problem is that the modes just aren't very good for the most part and lack creativity, plus the fact that the game starts on the same mode every single time is also annoying. The upper flipper only has one shot, which downgrades the fun factor too.

The main multiball is fun, but the meat of the game isn't unfortunately. Like others mentioned above, the scoring isn't balanced either. When comparing it to Whitewater, it kills it in every single category except the actually playing of the game...but unfortunately, that's all that really matters in the end, so I'd take whitewater in a second over GnR.

#32 6 years ago

I do wish modes were random at the plunge instead of always starting with Matt Scoring.

#33 6 years ago

All games get old after a while, so one can't be faulted for wanting to change it up. I've had GNR for longer than most of my games and have considered swapping it for another on more than one occasion. There are a few reasons why I haven't... first is the odds of finding one in as nice a shape is very slim considering the production number. Second is it looks great with custom artwork and music is a relatively timeless theme. Third is there is a lot going on in the game with two orbits and two ramps integrated in the game as well as any two ramps in pinball, 3 magnets, 1-6 ball multiball, and good shot variety. While it is a wide body, it feels closer to the way a standard width game plays.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 24.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 28.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Minneapolis, MN
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
$ 149.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 349.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sale Pending!
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 350.00
Boards
Pinball Basement
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 19.00
Boards
PinSound
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Sacramento, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside