• Latest reply 2 years ago by BC_Gambit
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

GnR_PF_CE-scaled-1-1024x1024 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Really want to get a GnR. GnR was a key part of my teenage years and how I didn't have the "correct" priorities. I also want to downsize the number of pins. Toying with the idea of unloading my MM and/or CV. Just curious from those that own GnR how they would rate gameplay to either of those other two titles. Does it matter if it is a CE vs. LE? Probably would get one of those two. Is there anyone out there that bought a GnR that is getting tired of the game? If so, why? I know this happens in that not every title works for everyone, especially after you have played it for a while. Some really popular titles never worked for me (i.e. AF or FH). Everyone has their own view of what is fun.

Current lineup I have is MM, CV, TZ, WoZ. Future lineup could be GnR, TZ, WoZ.

Thoughts/Feedback/Ideas? I get the GnR's go for a premium now. It is what it is, but so do the older titles. All the prices are out of whack. Would also be curious on peoples thoughts of the value for MM and CV. I checked the archives, but not sure how accurate those are. I have owned the CV and MM for about 15 years.

Btw, this forum is awesome. I know there can be some drama sometimes, but man it is really cool to shoot out questions and get some real solid answers. So to that point, thanks in advance for any words of wisdom on this idea...

Dave

#2 2 years ago

Epic game, don't hesitate. I love my GnR. The comments about flow and floating are just not true. Set it up in the home and it is awesome.

#3 2 years ago

GnR seems to be one of those love/hate machines, I’d recommend putting some time on one. It’s multiball heavy, so it wasn’t for me, but I can see why people do like it. Prices seem to have come back down to around MSRP on the LE/SE.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

GnR seems to be one of those love/hate machines, I’d recommend putting some time on one. It’s multiball heavy, so it wasn’t for me, but I can see why people do like it. Prices seem to have come back down to around MSRP on the LE/SE.

I’ve played the CE the most but am considering getting the LE. I know there are more lights on the CE. Anything someone would really miss otherwise between the two?

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from callaway15:

I’ve played the CE the most but am considering getting the LE. I know there are more lights on the CE. Anything someone would really miss otherwise between the two?

I haven’t played a CE, but they’re the same gameplay wise, just a little more bling in the CE

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from callaway15:

Art differences, some sparkle on the playfield, side art, sculpts on the lockdown bar, shooter rod, topper with a poor quality soundbar. I unplugged it after installing Pinwoofer. I think the LE is gorgeous and would be proud to own one but really enjoy my CE. As a side comment, I didn't really like the game that much on location, but decided to go for it and absolutely love it at home. The multiballs are really fun in this game, hitting various targets during, making it more interesting, and trying to get to the jackpot toward the end of the songs with one ball left. Pirates multiballs became boring to me by contrast.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from callaway15:

The extra lights you speak of are nothing more than led strips under and behind the game. Those mods are offered for the le now from modders. Personally I prefer the art and looks of the LE best, but that’s just an opinion. The other add ons like sparkles and coma lock aren’t worth the price. The sound bar can be added, and so can the lockdown bar and shooter rod sculps. A new LE is the way to go especially considering the prices of a used CE, and the play field issues on the CE and early builds. Get the game and rock out man.

#8 2 years ago

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the Original GnR DE.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from ClassicHornet:

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the Original GnR DE.
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"33d0f84cd8addcb19a5bce6f5c2f2e725eabf28b-1638827587-1800"};
//]]>

Ummm, no, he wouldn’t be asking about LE or CE

#10 2 years ago

Get the GnR. More depth than MM or CV. Looks great. Nothing like a new modern pin. I had my CV for years. Beat it often. Do not miss it. MM nice but after many years of ownership it would get less and less play.

#11 2 years ago

To clarify I am asking about the GNR CE/LE JJP Game. Not the DE one. Is there a different acronym I should be using to differentiate between the DE game and the JJP game?

#12 2 years ago

Love my gnr, once its properly set up, with pinwoofers , it's an amazing experience. I was not a fan of the multiple multiballs too, until I understood the game, now see the reasoning. About 200 plays on my sept build and no issues .

#13 2 years ago

No one said here that the CE also has an extra mode for a Coma save Multiball built into the apron..
Qualify it by hitting the coma Target . Then after a drain into the left side it goes in that extra lock area in the apron and you must hit so many switches and then a few shots to get your ball back into action plus 1 or 2 . forget right now but is not on an LE model.

GnR_PF_CE-scaled-1-1024x1024 (resized).jpgGnR_PF_CE-scaled-1-1024x1024 (resized).jpg
#14 2 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

No one said here that the CE also has an extra mode for a Coma save Multiball built into the apron..
Qualify it by hitting the coma Target . Then after a drain into the left side it goes in that extra lock area in the apron and you must hit so many switches and then a few shots to get your ball back into action plus 1 or 2 . forget right now but is not on an LE model.[quoted image]

This is interesting. I was always told the LE and CE's had the exact same ruleset. So that isn't true?

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#15 2 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Art differences, some sparkle on the playfield, side art, sculpts on the lockdown bar, shooter rod, topper with a poor quality soundbar. I unplugged it after installing Pinwoofer. I think the LE is gorgeous and would be proud to own one but really enjoy my CE. As a side comment, I didn't really like the game that much on location, but decided to go for it and absolutely love it at home. The multiballs are really fun in this game, hitting various targets during, making it more interesting, and trying to get to the jackpot toward the end of the songs with one ball left. Pirates multiballs became boring to me by contrast.

Thanks for the intel. I have enjoyed it on-site but can only get so far since the machines are setup pretty hard/3-ball. I am still biased to the CE artwork over the LE, but LE is growing on me. Probably because it won't cost me so much more!

I am a big multi-ball kind of guy, so to me, the more the better.

Also find it interesting that you didn't like the sound-bar. Never understood why manufacturer's can't get sound right given the low cost to make it sound good.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

This is interesting. I was always told the LE and CE's had the exact same ruleset. So that isn't true?

I believe they changed that for GNR

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

Qualify it by hitting the coma Target . Then after a drain into the left side it goes in that extra lock area in the apron and you must hit so many switches and then a few shots to get your ball back into action plus 1 or 2 . forget right now but is not on an LE model.[quoted image]

So that’s different than the coma ball save mode on the LE? I was understanding that the coma ball lock is basically just a physical lock that drains ball back into the trough and then kicks it out. The LE is a virtual one not having the ball physically sitting there, but the same mode to save the ball. Is this correct?

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

The extra lights you speak of are nothing more than led strips under and behind the game. Those mods are offered for the le now from modders. Personally I prefer the art and looks of the LE best, but that’s just an opinion. The other add ons like sparkles and coma lock aren’t worth the price. The sound bar can be added, and so can the lockdown bar and shooter rod sculps. A new LE is the way to go especially considering the prices of a used CE, and the play field issues on the CE and early builds. Get the game and rock out man.

I have the Mezelmods lights for my SE. Its a must have mod IMO

#19 2 years ago

All three are great pins but to me it seems that GNR has the most bang for your buck. I love CV but it is pretty shallow. Same goes for MM.

#20 2 years ago

All: Thanks for your feedback and opinions. In the end I think I am going to seek out an GnR LE. Probably unload at least my CV in the process to keep my wife on the happy side during the holidays.

Now I have to figure out how to mod the LE to make it fun. Some initial ideas are Sound, Topper, Skull, Side Mirrors. Thoughts folks?

#21 2 years ago

I would get GNR based on looking at your lineup. I will be completely honest, I had GNR SE, after about 3 months regretted selling it. I now have GNR LE, and even through it's not my best (or favorite) pin, there is something really weird about me letting it go again. The best way to describe it is, it's a change of pace and good to play if you are just trying to have a fun evening with the wife/family/friends or just yourself with a drink lol. If I'm hanging out on a Fri, Sat night, I have to get one game of GNR in. Second best 'theme' integration on the JJPs to that of The Hobbit.

Anyhow, for whatever that's worth, I'd say it's a worth addition to a collection that already has some solid B/W and Sterns. As a single pin, or even two pin, no I would not recommend it.

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from clearstar:

I would get GNR based on looking at your lineup. I will be completely honest, I had GNR SE, after about 3 months regretted selling it. I now have GNR LE, and even through it's not my best (or favorite) pin, there is something really weird about me letting it go again. The best way to describe it is, it's a change of pace and good to play if you are just trying to have a fun evening with the wife/family/friends or just yourself with a drink lol. If I'm hanging out on a Fri, Sat night, I have to get one game of GNR in. Second best 'theme' integration on the JJPs to that of The Hobbit.
Anyhow, for whatever that's worth, I'd say it's a worth addition to a collection that already has some solid B/W and Sterns. As a single pin, or even two pin, no I would not recommend it.

Lineup would end up being TZ, WoZ, MM, and GnR. I think it has pretty good balance. I am hearing some love/hate from people that have had GnR. Mainly is that the ruleset is so darn deep it might be really hard to dig deep into the game. Hopefully I can dial back the settings to offset that.....or they update firmware to make sure some average people can get deeper into the game if they choose to.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

Lineup would end up being TZ, WoZ, MM, and GnR. I think it has pretty good balance. I am hearing some love/hate from people that have had GnR. Mainly is that the ruleset is so darn deep it might be really hard to dig deep into the game. Hopefully I can dial back the settings to offset that.....or they update firmware to make sure some average people can get deeper into the game if they choose to.

Ya, there is just too much popping off at a time. Lots of multiballs for basically doing nothing lol, but like you said, you can dial all that back in the settings. Good luck with the purchase!

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:Now I have to figure out how to mod the LE to make it fun. Some initial ideas are Sound, Topper, Skull, Side Mirrors. Thoughts folks?

I think this is the most entertaining pinball machine ever created. Pinwoofer is an absolute must. Liors mods also make a huge difference for the LE.

I will also tell you that the pin stadium concert editions make this the most special machine on the market. A lot of people will tell you that the machine does not need more lights. Those people have typically not seen these things in person. They are amazing.

The coin door modification with your LE number is also a great addition

Enjoy

#25 2 years ago

Having a music pin in your line up would be a great change of pace, and GNR is certainly a fun experience. I've owned all your games, and they are all very different from each other. If it were me I'd unload WOZ or CV before MM

#26 2 years ago

i have the CE and never played a LE yet so can not tell you what else other than that of the extra place in the apron that holds the ball is in the CE over the le. Perhaps Callouts and video / good question though

Quoted from konghusker:

So that’s different than the coma ball save mode on the LE? I was understanding that the coma ball lock is basically just a physical lock that drains ball back into the trough and then kicks it out. The LE is a virtual one not having the ball physically sitting there, but the same mode to save the ball. Is this correct?

1 month later
#27 2 years ago

Just thought I would update everyone here several months later. Ended up deciding to sell my CV and get a GnR LE. I came real close to buying a CE, but realized I wanted some unique mods that would just make a CE+Customs mods too costly. Plus I liked the artwork a bit more on the LE. I also liked the red trim as well over the purple. Seemed to match the roses theme more?

Anyway, got the LE in the basement over the weekend and started with some of the quick mods.

1) Knocked out Sven's drum/speaker kit - really cool and easy to install by the way
2) Little Shop of Games Skull, Bullet Shooter Rod, and Sculpted Action Button Piece - so well crafted!
3) Put in several of Freddy's lighted (color) pinball protectors - may wait until a light shop is needed to put in the rest

Still need to install...

1) Pinwoofer GT kit (in the house)
2) Pin Stadium CE (should come in the next month or so, back ordered atm)
4) PinGraffix Stadium topper and Backlit kit - Having issue with power harness. I think my build has different wiring. Working it out w/them now.
5) Cliffy's protectors (back ordered. Should be here in a month or so)
6) Side art blades (shipping now

My overall first impressions of the game...

1) Holy crap, the lighting is crazy well done. I thought WoZ was well done, but this is another level
2) You better like multi-ball a lot when playing this game. They come like candy
3) I still don't know what the hell I am doing, I need to dive into the rules
4) If you fix pinball machines for a living, you will love GnR. It is going to make you lots of money. This game in a word is "violent". There is a ton of going on.
5) Some of the adult callouts are F'n funny (pun intended)
6) Sounds obvious, but you need to like GnR music. It is loaded in this game. I like that!
7) The build quality looks really well done. I got to tour the plant when I picked it up. All I can say is they really have a good shop at JJP. I know they take their beatings out there sometimes with things, but when you see a GnR being built from the ground up the way they do it, you realize they are really building a top quality machine. ALL of their staff was friendly and nice, even the line workers. It also makes you appreciate just how hard it is to build a pinball, especially in todays environment with Covid & the corresponding procurement nightmares.

Thanks to all of you for helping out with the decision and for those that nudged me this way, I want to thank you. Hope you all had an awesome weekend. I always love interacting with this group (well most of the time

Dave

#28 2 years ago

Nice, I am glad you get to enjoy a new game!

I enjoy older games like CV as well, but in a home environment the newer games just kick so much butt.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

12,060 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Idaho Falls, ID
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Danbury, WI
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hudson, WI
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 11,000.00
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gnr-vs-mm-vs-cv and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.