• Latest reply 2 years ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6FED8063-7DE4-425F-A82C-78D9FB25697B.gif
150D0EFD-436C-440D-881E-65F3A4C87DF0 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#93 2 years ago

They're both amazing pins. And this comparison is great for me, because they're literally side by side and the only two pins I have right now.

GnR gets more play.

That's not to say that GZ is a slouch or a bad game, it's amazing. But I find myself playing GnR more. But they're quite different games, so I'm not sure they can or should even be compared if you're making a purchasing decision of one or the other.

#102 2 years ago
Quoted from Iizi:

Everyone is praising the light show on GnR. But would you expect / want to see that kind of candy-colored light show in rock concert…? And what goes to pinball, I would like those insert lights to tell me something, instead of just look cool and confuse where to shoot.

There's a lot going on, but the game tells you what you need to know for the most part. You just need to know where to look. At any given time there are a lot of options and they're laid out for the player to choose, which is why people used to a linear game have trouble with it. The longer you play it, the less overwhelming it is.

And if a light show alone can get me to play a song I formerly hated and get me to SEEK OUT and kind of like it over time, that's mission accomplished.

#104 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Is there such a thing as multiball talent or is it always just spray and pray? That is what I do.

Watch Karl DeAngelo's streams. He has great general control, even during multiballs on GnR.

I hope this style of play is seen more often. It forces trap players to PLAY THE GAME since they're penalized for trapping. Trap play is boring to watch. I want to see ball control gods emerge that can work a playfield that appears to be pure steel ball chaos.

#107 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Apparently that's boring to watch!

Anything's boring when you have too much of it for too long.

#110 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Weird, that's what people keep saying aboot the MBs in GNR.

Taste. Only a few can have the best.

Did you see Defending your Life? There's a scene about that. Albert Brooks wants what his handler in the afterlife waystation is eating and he said he wouldn't like it because his brain isn't advanced enough to appreciate it. Albert Brooks insists, and it doesn't go well.

#137 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Actual new code. Haha. Whatever that means. They received new code years after the game was released yes.

Yeah, but holy crap did the BK:SoR and LZ code updates make a mess. It clearly was just a thinly disguised excuse to get the QR code in the machines because the stuff they "fixed" obviously was not tested much at all. Really borked two games. Check the owner's threads.

#139 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It happens. It will get fixed.

I have no doubt, but why even release it if it was so poorly tested? And the releases were stacked, so the updates for many of these had to be sitting around waiting to go all at once. Why didn't they use their beta testers outside Stern to run through the code and at least catch a bunch of the obvious problems while waiting for release day? It's not like they PAY the beta testers, so it wouldn't cost anything. I'll never understand Stern...

#141 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Too excited to get them out for thanksgiving I guess.
Also I think only certain lead software people use beta testers. Dwight is a big one, but not sure others are. I don’t think Brian Eddy and Lonnie and Mike used any for stranger things.
They had one code revision that made half the switches stop working on stranger things. Haha

Lyman did use tester(s), too.

But it seems like a good position to create at stern. Software QA management with one person coordinating testing with all off-site beta testers for all machines. Use an online bug tracking database like they do in professional game development so the testers can report their bugs and the developer can check off the ones addressed. The trail for that kind of system has already been blazed years ago and mature software exists for bug tracking. Stern just has to care enough to adapt it to their business. They'd only need, what? 30-40 testers total to cover machines with overlap, and the only paid position is the QA coordinator that runs the program, so? But I'm really not sure they care enough about releasing well-tested code when they push updates. They're making money hand over fist right now as-is. Why do MORE?

#143 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I think beta testers should be able to send video into stern as well. Much easier for them to fix bugs when they are caught on video instead of people just saying, “my game acted weird for a minute”

And with online in the machines now, the beta code could have memory dumps and you could tell the machine to send that to Stern. Also, there are $100 devices that could be loaned to testers that continuously capture video and that could be sent to Stern as MP4s when there's a weird event as well. There are a LOT of not-that-hard or costly software and hardware solutions that could be used in a coordinated software QA program. Stern wouldn't even have to have the QA program coordinator work in-house at Stern. They could coordinate this program and interact with the beta testers and the developers from literally anywhere in the world.

It would substantially improve their releases and customer satisfaction, for not that much cost. Will they do it? Probably not.

#159 2 years ago
Quoted from playtwowin:

Some games have way too many multiballs. In my opinion it takes the skill out of the game. Very hard to feel rewarded making shots that were achieved during a multiball.

Really? If I can achieve a 6 ball power cord during GnR multiball, it's an ACHIEVEMENT. Up there with the best feelings in all of pinball. You don't randomly get it done because there are a lot of balls flying around. That works against successful completion.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

€ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 16.00
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Discos Pinball Mod Shop

8,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Old Saybrook, CT
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 45.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
BomberMods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gnr-vs-godzilla?tu=pinmonk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.