• Latest reply 2 years ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6FED8063-7DE4-425F-A82C-78D9FB25697B.gif
150D0EFD-436C-440D-881E-65F3A4C87DF0 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bc_gambit.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#46 2 years ago
Quoted from insight75:

The pinball world is a better place with both in it. I look forward to putting my Godzilla LE next to my GNR LE.....

This seems reasonable!

Quoted from jimwe5t:

Interesting trying to compare an incredible Godzilla machine with a ho hum light show and 21 songs (mostly cover songs) of a band 30 years past their prime.
GNR:
Lights on GNR are nice if you like lots of blinding LEDs while playing pinball.
GNR shoots like a slow moving old dog, with weak flippers. Could be easily compared to chopping wood, after hearing the same cover songs over and over again. Best song on GNR: yes you guessed it, a McCartney cover song. 1st time playing that song is impressive, but 20th time playing, its over the top monotonous.
MB after MB, because the poor JJP programmers have no mechs or objectives to program into the code.
GNR poor quality is joy killing to own and all you can think of is, I better get rid of GNR before it totally falls apart on me and I can’t get very much of my money back. (Just look at the countless GNR problem threads all over Pinside.)
Way overpriced for just lots of cheap LEDs, 2 drumsticks and a pizza spinner, with couple of ball locks.
Godzilla:
Where to begin. It is the crème de la crème of pinball. Nothing to its equal in the world of mechs, shot layout, music/sounds, pinball moments, artwork and just plain Elwin genius fun. It flows and shoots like a dream machine.
Should take over top spot on the pinside false 100, as best pinball machine of all time. The innovative mechs on the game are tops in the world of pinball.

This seems less so! Full on kool aid swilling going on in some parts here. Both games likely are all time greats in their own ways. But maybe ship some more games and see how they hold up before crowning a new king?

1 month later
#86 2 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Come on guys! You’re telling me you don’t like GNR’s “Hey you plunged your first ball and hit the right flipper multiball”
or
“ball 2’s brick a shot and get random multiball”
or my personal favorite
“the 26 ball ‘how the fuck am I in a multiball already?!, multiball” during any part of the game.

If you don't know the rules and don't care to learn the rules... You won't know what's going on. Deep stuff I know.

#120 2 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

I never knew how bad it was until I bought a GnR JJP, You say anything good about it on Pinside and you're a Stern hater JJP fan boi, even that I own 13 Sterns with a GZLE on it's way

If that is the case that is really unfortunate. I get tired of uninformed people on any side puffing up their chests and beaking off on a topic they seem proud they have spent zero time educating themselves about. Almost everybody gets excited now and again an falls into that trap, but I try to do it as little as possible. If people are proudly doing it as a second full time job, I don't know what to say.

GNR (all JJP pins, really) are very deep games that just seem to keep offering stuff to do, no matter how long you play. That leads to some longer games. But unlike nearly every Stern I buy, I am not getting the extra ball by default after owning the game for a few plays (7 rescues in JP). When I play Stern games on location, it seems like they are set to 4 balls by default. You have to have a pretty miserable game, or just try of some sort of alternate goal, to not get 4 balls.

Why am I harping on about that? Both companies make great games. Stern games are probably a bit better fit for location with flat/linear goals. JJP pins tend to give you a lot of options, and more ask "what do you feel like doing". If you have no idea what you are doing, one of those choices is going to be easier to learn (there is just less going on to learn).

And if you have either game at home, you can tweak the code nearly as much as you want. I did not feel particularly moved to increase JP's extra ball rescue amount, but I did drastically reduce the extra balls available in GNR (not sure what the rules designers were thinking by having multiple extra ball awards built into just playing a song...). I also cut down the ball save timer when you start a song (60 seconds was way too long for home use IMO, for skilled players).

I can like both Stern and JJP games, and recognize that every game is going to have a bit here or there "that I would have done differently". In the old days that was just considered common sense, and accepted that other people might have a different list of stuff like that for a given game.

Anyways, sorry that this has gone as long as it has. It feels like I am just saying something as eye opening as "water is wet". But if things have shifted so far maybe stating some sort of baseline is helpful?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

$ 210.00
8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mohawk, NY
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 1,375.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

€ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 2.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Chrome Candy

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Walton, KY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
BomberMods

€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.95
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 375.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinMod Industries

$ 17.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lermods

$ 109.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bc_gambit.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gnr-vs-godzilla?tu=bc_gambit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.