• Latest reply 2 years ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6FED8063-7DE4-425F-A82C-78D9FB25697B.gif
150D0EFD-436C-440D-881E-65F3A4C87DF0 (resized).jpeg
There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 2 years ago

Okay – no bashing. I have spoken to few folks trying to decide so I thought I would provide my subjective thoughts about these having now played both machines. If you don't care about my opinion, stop reading now. This is no way meant to be gospel for anyone.

Let me be clear up front, this evaluation is premised on the assumption you have a GNR without playfield issues and it is calibrated correctly. I will tell you I have yet to come across one that meets this standard out in the public. This is based upon my CE being properly calibrated at home. Fortunately, I do not have any playfield issues and installed clear PETG washers early that have worked well. I have had one spotlight arm break, one board go bad and one LED light strip go bad since I bought the machine in May. In each instance, JJP customer support was outstanding and Ken was awesome to deal with. All issue fixed within days.

I played Godzilla Pro extensively yesterday and it is a GREAT machine. If you are looking to be able to make specific calculated shots and to be rewarded for combo shots, I don’t think I have played a better machine. The theme is great, the code is good and the overall experience is great. It is by far the best Stern I have played. Jurassic Park would be #2 on my list for frame of reference.

All that said, I continue to prefer GNR for a number of reasons:

(1) While not as crisp, GNR has a great variety of great shots. You have to master the orbits, both ramps, the inner loop and the scoop to succeed. The upper playfield is continually in play and continues to be a fun challenge;
(2) Every song is a different experience. Accordingly, you have 22 mini games with different objectives and light shows that draws you in. You have to incorporate different combinations of shots throughout. On top of that, the multi-ball modes and risk reward system create adrenaline rushes like no other machine out there;
(3) There are multiple video modes that are each incredibly unique and different; and
(4) This is by far the most entertaining machine for bystanders to watch when they are not playing.

In addition, the call outs are great and the sound, especially if you add the Pinwoofer system with a Sub, make this the best sounding pinball machine on the market. As Kaneda says regularly, you have an experience when you play this machine. It can be a blast, and it can also be one of the most frustrating experiences you ever have. Regardless, it will constantly leave you wanting to come back for more as there are so many different objectives to achieve.
From a straight pinball experience, I am sure the mechs in Godzilla are going to make it even more fun than it is now – but it does not provide the same adrenaline rush of GNR. It shoots much faster than GNR, but the game does not have the variety of modes GNR offers. If I get a second machine, it will be a Godzilla Premium as I believe it is the most complete pin out there next to GNR – and its not even close.

Most of the criticisms of GNR that I read relate mostly to quality issues and I cannot discount that for those that have had negative experiences. Once working and properly set up, however, I think it is the greatest game built yet. The main question is can you get it there. If you don’t want to risk having to make fixes to playfields or spotlights, go Godzilla. Others that criticize the game tend to be pinball purists that enjoy the feel of clean shots and combos more than the chaos GNR creates in its multi-ball modes. It is the adrenaline rush that GNR creates through these modes that make it in my mind the most unique playing experience out there. Godzilla Premium/LE will be a unique experience as well, but for different reasons.

Good luck to all making their decisions. This is all subjective, just have fun with it. I hope this post is useful to some.

#2 2 years ago

Well, I should know soon. Gnr will be here hopefully Friday, and GZ LE are shipping now so next week I think. 2 completely diff games, will be interesting to see which one, if either, are here 6 months from now.

#3 2 years ago

It's going to be a tough comparison because GNR will no longer make a standard version of the game so the cheapest you can get into a GNR for will be $11,000. You'll need to compare it to either a Zilla Pro that will can be had under $7,000 so almost 40% reduction in price, or a Zilla Premium that will run a little less than $9,000....still a 20% savings.

#4 2 years ago

I got lucky on my gnr. Was going to inquire on a used one on pinside, then the seller got a negative comment. I messaged the guy who posted negative to ask why, and he ended up selling me his spot for cost ,$9500. Coming from classic game rooms. So, deals are still out there

#5 2 years ago

Godzilla for me, don’t care for GnR.

#6 2 years ago

Godzilla for me - better flow and speed

#7 2 years ago

Played both Godzilla Pro and GnR. Preferred the Godzilla Pro over GnR and i'd imagine i'd like Godzilla Prem even more. I actually like Wonka more than GnR.

#8 2 years ago

Godzilla Pro over GNR CE. Godzilla is fun, GNR is a clunky multiball mess but it looks nice.

#9 2 years ago

I've put 20 plus games on GnR CE and don't get it. It's really pretty but it is not what I want in a pinball game. I haven't found a JJP game I like except for Dialed In. Can't wait to check out Godzilla.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

Godzilla Pro over GNR CE. Godzilla is fun, GNR is a clunky multiball mess but it looks nice.

There’s no question that many of the multiball modes create chaos and that is a big design of this game. If you like control at all times, this is not the machine for you. For me, other games are boring by comparison.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from shlt_thunder:

I've put 20 plus games on GnR CE and don't get it. It's really pretty but it is not what I want in a pinball game. I haven't found a JJP game I like except for Dialed In. Can't wait to check out Godzilla.

GNR from my fist quarter drop to every time I play it, I just don't get how people love it. I guess different people like different things but it's my least favorite JJP game. From the shooter lane exit, the countless multiballs on down the line. I love the art on GNR and the music but find qualifying the songs and the music notes various shots make tedious.

#12 2 years ago

Godzilla, I love the theme and it shoots so smooth. The GNR I played was confusing and felt like it was falling apart.

#13 2 years ago

The absurd amount of multiball in Gnr is my only negative. Most of them are filler and not fun to play.

#14 2 years ago

I've only played Godzilla and it was really, really fun. My fiance and I both loved it.

#15 2 years ago

I’ve played both and it’s Godzilla by a mile. GNR is a super cool experience for a few games but the lights and sound only take you so far.

GNR- There is nothing remarkable about the shots, the art is lack luster, it’s a theme about some guys who’s prime passed 30 years ago, and it’s so expensive.

Godzilla - great shots, good art, already has more fun rules even though it’s not as “deep” as GNR, old theme but giant destructive lizards are cool for any age, and cheaper even with the recent price increases.

#17 2 years ago

I played GnR, didn't like the flow or any thing about that pin. Glad you like yours and are trying to talk yourself into liking it as well. It's almost double the price of a Godzilla Pro and will probably hold it value and increase more, but that game is for posers IMO and basically blows. I love the light show, and that is it. Keep hyping your game up so that you can resell it for a profit. I'm not a buyer at any cost.

#18 2 years ago

GNR sucks. It just does. The light shows which are amazing fooled us all into thinking it's a different game.....for a time. It has what? One toy? The pizza spinner? Please. You get maybe two flips in the "upper" playfield. Let's be honest it's really just a pot shot most the time with little skill. The game gets sour soon because the ball isn't doing anything cool in the game that we haven't seen before. Casual players? Forget it. Totally uninviting and confusing.

Maybe the "golden drumstick" version will be rereleased without the pizza spinner and more glitter and change people's minds-love my WOZ btw still the best JJP- GNR has the lowest BOM of all JJP's and hides it with blinding light shows and people are still in threads saying "JJP will do it justice!" about some random theme.

There is only one king of the pins, all hail Godzilla.

#19 2 years ago

My GnR plays great and snappy. The integrated lightshow is perhaps the best in pinball. Still, I'd rank it near the bottom of games I've owned (take it with a grain of salt, as TSPP would be at the very bottom). Been meaning to get rid of mine for awhile. A fun experience for the lights, music, and footage, but the code kills any longevity for me as the gameplay isn't my preference.

I haven't played Godzilla yet, but it looks to have the greater appetite for destruction (*bad-dum, tiss* ).

#21 2 years ago

I agree OP, a "dialed in" GNR LE is where it's at....IF you have other Sterns already. No, it doesn't shoot as well as Godzilla, but that's not the point of it. The thing with LCD Sterns, they are a dime a dozen. There are far too many Sterns you could literally change the "theme" and the layout would still be fine. Now, Elwin has made three that shoot amazing, you can't go wrong with any of them...but really ask yourself couldn't AIQ literally be any theme? Stern has diversity of Assets/IP, but they are more "categories" of pin styles. Every single Stern doesn't feel unique, like it does on the JJP side.

JJP overall is a different animal, it's about grabbing the player with immersion. The theme of the Assets/IP is first, the pinball comes second...except maybe Wonka...I feel they cheapen out a bit on it...but it shoots great like a Stern. There is no real rinse & repeat with JJP. So once you have a Stern or two, or three, in your collection, it gets a bit repetitive. You could own all 6 JJPs and none of them feel the same.

JJP is the closest thing to old B/W/WMS. Like Theater of Magic, or Twilight Zone, etc. Those who claim otherwise are in denial. Those games didn't have "flow", they were just flat out fun and immersive. Stern produces nothing close to those older "cluttered playfield" machines. JJP does.

-signed my humble opinion

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from clearstar:

I agree OP, a "dialed in" GNR LE is where it's at....IF you have other Sterns already. No, it doesn't shoot as well as Godzilla, but that's not the point of it. The thing with LCD Sterns, they are a dime a dozen. There are far too many Sterns you could literally change the "theme" and the layout would still be fine. Now, Elwin has made three that shoot amazing, you can't go wrong with any of them...but really ask yourself couldn't AIQ literally be any theme? Stern has diversity of Assets/IP, but they are more "categories" of pin styles. Every single Stern doesn't feel unique, like it does on the JJP side.
JJP overall is a different animal, it's about grabbing the player with immersion. The theme of the Assets/IP is first, the pinball comes second...except maybe Wonka...I feel they cheapen out a bit on it...but it shoot great. There is no real rinse & repeat with them. So once you have a Stern or two, or three, in your collection, it gets a bit repetitive. You could own all 6 JJPs and none of them feel the same.
-signed my humble opinion

#23 2 years ago

Once more, and without equivocation, we find the most fanatical of Jersey Jack enthusiasts cut of a different cloth than those that first and foremost enjoy playing pinball on their pinball machines.

#24 2 years ago

I do not have Godzilla but do have STH and JP (both premium)

I think the quality of both machines are night and day. The oversized JJP screen, menu interface, Bluetooth headphones, light show etc. even little things like how you don’t have to remove the balls to lift the playfield. IMO you just can’t compare the two manufacturers.

The cost don’t compare either but I think Stern can learn a lot from JJP. I’m new to pins but I think the difference is profound. I “had” no desire for Wonka and WOT but man…. These JJP pins are something else.

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from PinPickle:

I think Stern can learn a lot from JJP

150D0EFD-436C-440D-881E-65F3A4C87DF0 (resized).jpeg150D0EFD-436C-440D-881E-65F3A4C87DF0 (resized).jpeg
Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#26 2 years ago
Quoted from PinPickle:

I think Stern can learn a lot from JJP. I’m new to pins but I think the difference is profound. I “had” no desire for Wonka and WOT but man…. These JJP pins are something else.

Before JJP put out WOZ, JJ said he wouldn't use a calculator to make his pins and wouldn't make different versions other than cosmetics. JJP learned from Stern. Know your history.... For the record, I "bought into" this philosophy and bought my WOZ years before it came out, got mine with the lighting issues and sold that POC. I bought into the hype. I've not owned a JJP since. Crap games.

#27 2 years ago

After about two games of GnR I feel like I’ve
had my fill.

I played Godzilla Pro about 20 times at a show this weekend and couldn’t get enough.

#28 2 years ago

LMOA love it.

Quoted from tidalwdave:

Before JJP put out WOZ, JJ said he wouldn't use a calculator to make his pins and wouldn't make different versions. JJP learned from Stern. Know your history.... For the record, I "bought into" this philosophy and bought my WOZ years before it came out, got mine with the lighting issues and sold that POC. I bought into the hype. I've not owned a JJP since. Crap games.

I do not know the history and like I said. I’m a noob when it comes to pins. No question JJP learned from stern. The same way Tesla learned from every other car manufacturer. I’m not calling JJP Tesla I’m just recognizing a new player in the game can do it well and better. If I have a ton of issues with my JJP I will be the sure to post that as well. My first impressions are polarizing.

The huge back glass screen ant the back playfield screen are game changers.

#29 2 years ago

Let me start off by saying I really enjoy WoZ, Dialed In, and (to an extent) Wonka.

I think G&R Sucks, here's why:
1) The left ramp bricks 90% of the time with dead-on shots. And by bricks I mean it hits something at the top before the switch and rejects back down the ramp. The only way I can *usually* get the shot to work is by backhanding it. Even then it rejects occasionally.
2) The way the modes end and kill your flippers is horrible. Who ever thought that was a good idea should be slapped. NEVER Kill flippers unless maybe it's the wizard mode or something REALLY REALLY RARE AND SPECIAL. It's incredibly confusing and irritating when you are getting into the groove and nailing shots.
3) As others mentioned, the skill shot sucks. It's boring and the ball often gets stuck between the gate and rubber if plunged too softly.
4) The multiball mode light shows are horrible... I mean what the fuck am I supposed to shoot at? EVERY lamp is flashing or animating in some way. Don't do that. And don't tell me to look at the screen because that is not acceptable if I am in a multiball. Only relevant lamps should be blinking with the occasional light show when you do a thing good.
5) "+1 Tilt Warning" is incorrect terminology. I kept thinking the game was giving me a tilt warning for playing correctly! Da Fuq! It should be worded differently... maybe something like "Extra Tilt Warning Allowed!" with the number displayed "3 Warnings remain".
6) The scoop is dead too often. Its soooo easy to accidentally shoot, but yet does nothing most of the time until you light something. I don't have a good software fix for this off the top of my head, but that scoop should not have been in dead centre of the playfield. Next to the right ramp, in place of the "center shot" (which isn't center btw), or some other place slightly out of the way.
7) On the "standard" that upper left section is completely waisted. It should have been open so you can see the ball, or something not so static and lame.
8) The left orbit, while hittable, is IMO to low. It should have been shifted more to where the left ramp is and the left ramp shifted a little more center with a fixed right turn (so it doesn't brick).

I haven't played Godzilla yet, but I'm really looking forward to.

#30 2 years ago

Godzilla: original layout with snappy flippers
GNR: typical fan layout with weak flippers
Godzilla: Cheaper
GNR: Sparkly
Godzilla: interactive moving mechs
GNR: Good music
Godzilla: super smooth shooter
GNR: crap ton of multiball (i personally don't like this)

Pros and cons to both. JJPs are pretty. Sterns are fast and fun. Take your pick.
I prefer godzilla.

#31 2 years ago

Not liking these comparison threads either?

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Not likening these comparison threads either?

Just shit or get off the pot. My God the same people starting enema (auto corrected from endless; ill allow it) threads over & over

#33 2 years ago

With the technology out now (Samsung “The Frame” tv) there’s no reason why the entire back glass can’t be introduced to pinball. You can have a standard looking translight (or much better) and huge screen for when’s the games on. Why not?

I absolutely love my projector on my STH. Innovation is welcomed to my collection.

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from Mrawesome44:

The absurd amount of multiball in Gnr is my only negative. Most of them are filler and not fun to play.

multiballs used to spark that adrenaline when you first started playing pinball, now they get annoying when they get used to much. All multiballs mean to me now is that I'm safe. I think it's great when they use them, but only after they're earned... or to give you a reprieve from the onslaught.
I like it otherwise.

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Not liking these comparison threads either?

They come out like cockroaches.
Just turn the light on and they trigger it’s just so easy!

#36 2 years ago

Interesting trying to compare an incredible Godzilla machine with a ho hum light show and 21 songs (mostly cover songs) of a band 30 years past their prime.

GNR:
Lights on GNR are nice if you like lots of blinding LEDs while playing pinball.
GNR shoots like a slow moving old dog, with weak flippers. Could be easily compared to chopping wood, after hearing the same cover songs over and over again. Best song on GNR: yes you guessed it, a McCartney cover song. 1st time playing that song is impressive, but 20th time playing, its over the top monotonous.
MB after MB, because the poor JJP programmers have no mechs or objectives to program into the code.
GNR poor quality is joy killing to own and all you can think of is, I better get rid of GNR before it totally falls apart on me and I can’t get very much of my money back. (Just look at the countless GNR problem threads all over Pinside.)
Way overpriced for just lots of cheap LEDs, 2 drumsticks and a pizza spinner, with couple of ball locks.

Godzilla:
Where to begin. It is the crème de la crème of pinball. Nothing to its equal in the world of mechs, shot layout, music/sounds, pinball moments, artwork and just plain Elwin genius fun. It flows and shoots like a dream machine.
Should take over top spot on the pinside false 100, as best pinball machine of all time. The innovative mechs on the game are tops in the world of pinball.

#37 2 years ago

This is a tough one. Godzilla is not a title that I thought I would like that the game plays great. But as far as the build quality enjoyment and integration it’s a hands-down GNR for me

#38 2 years ago

Suggestion to the guy who started this thread. After seeing all the positive Godzilla reviews and loads of negative GNR comments, sell your GNR before others read this comparison thread you started. There has to be tons of cancelled GNR orders, not just because of the GNR PF debacle, but because Stern has now shown they can unequivocally outdo JJP in every category for far less money and with much higher quality manufacturing.

#39 2 years ago

So I'm trying to only say positive things right now so here goes. GNR is the best pin in "your" collection

#40 2 years ago

The pinball world is a better place with both in it. I look forward to putting my Godzilla LE next to my GNR LE.....

#41 2 years ago

For the love of God, people. If you start a comparison thread, ADD A POLL!!!

#42 2 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

For the love of God, people. If you start a comparison thread, ADD A POLL!!!

The thing is, it seems a bit premature to be judging a GNR CE against a Godzilla Pro. Couldn't OP have waited until they played the fuller featured Godzilla LE or Premium? That seems a bit more in line for comparison purposes here, or maybe GNR SE vs Godzilla Pro might've been more appropriate. Comparing one full featured pin against a stripped down Pro seems like an odd pairing.

#43 2 years ago

Everyone has an a hole. If you don’t cry during movies or overcome with emotion at a great concert (like I was a Primus last Friday at the Greek theater) GNR is probably not for you. If you aren’t acutely observant and your criteria for good is flipper bat speed and how quickly a good shot flows from one flipper to the next GNR is probably not for you.

I own arguably the top two all time flow games in STTNG and JP and I love them both. My hugely satisfying 400m single pteranodon shot sent me over the moon. But the GNR experience (with sub) is the ONLY toy in my adult life makes me feel like a 7 year old at Christmas over and over again.

The idea of you controlling the band’s success trajectory and art of how this is presented to you and the corresponding energy the game throws at you during the journey is an artistic gift. The feel of the game is classic. If you can’t see it or feel it or get it I feel bad that you aren’t able to share in the experience. Slash shared a bit of his talent and soul and I’m super thankful.

Opinions are like a holes. And this thread taught me the idea that opinions can and probably always are formed from incomplete information (selectively or otherwise).

#44 2 years ago

The latest is always the greatest?

#45 2 years ago

Regardless of how you feel about each machine, comments like this are completely uncalled for. These guys both obviously pour their heart into their work, so the 6th grade name calling is pretty low. If you wouldn't say that to Eric's face, maybe you shouldn't be typing it.

#46 2 years ago
Quoted from insight75:

The pinball world is a better place with both in it. I look forward to putting my Godzilla LE next to my GNR LE.....

This seems reasonable!

Quoted from jimwe5t:

Interesting trying to compare an incredible Godzilla machine with a ho hum light show and 21 songs (mostly cover songs) of a band 30 years past their prime.
GNR:
Lights on GNR are nice if you like lots of blinding LEDs while playing pinball.
GNR shoots like a slow moving old dog, with weak flippers. Could be easily compared to chopping wood, after hearing the same cover songs over and over again. Best song on GNR: yes you guessed it, a McCartney cover song. 1st time playing that song is impressive, but 20th time playing, its over the top monotonous.
MB after MB, because the poor JJP programmers have no mechs or objectives to program into the code.
GNR poor quality is joy killing to own and all you can think of is, I better get rid of GNR before it totally falls apart on me and I can’t get very much of my money back. (Just look at the countless GNR problem threads all over Pinside.)
Way overpriced for just lots of cheap LEDs, 2 drumsticks and a pizza spinner, with couple of ball locks.
Godzilla:
Where to begin. It is the crème de la crème of pinball. Nothing to its equal in the world of mechs, shot layout, music/sounds, pinball moments, artwork and just plain Elwin genius fun. It flows and shoots like a dream machine.
Should take over top spot on the pinside false 100, as best pinball machine of all time. The innovative mechs on the game are tops in the world of pinball.

This seems less so! Full on kool aid swilling going on in some parts here. Both games likely are all time greats in their own ways. But maybe ship some more games and see how they hold up before crowning a new king?

#47 2 years ago

Im just going to enjoy my GnR.
I think its a great game.

#48 2 years ago

I've only played GNR. I'd choose Godzilla.

#49 2 years ago

I can understand people may not like GnR, but some of the reasons they provide are really weak.

They play one specific machine and make blanket statements about every GnR having weak flippers or 90% right ramp rejects, left orbit is hard to hit, or skill shot sucks so game sucks (same skill shot didn't hurt the love for TZ.)

The multiball complaint is more legit, but it's really because they believe multiball must only be a special achievement because that's all they've known. Fair enough.

But only when one can understand the 2 ball modes are not an achievement to score jackpots in a traditional sense, the game opens up and a player can see the game differently.

It's a step to build song value for what is the real multiball toward the the risk/ reward element.

Again, not a game for everyone, but it's still a brilliant game. (Btw, so is TSPP, but apparently some people don't appreciate that game either.)

#50 2 years ago

These posts about this game vs that game - guilty pleasure to read them b/c honestly, who really gives an F but then I realize this is a pinball forum talking about expensive toys so sure, why not.

However what I always shake my head at is how many people will say - game X is the worst or game Y is complete garbage, etc. Example here - GnR doesn't suck. Is it overrated? Maybe. Is the band 30 years past its prime? GTFOOO.

I just love the extreme views that come out during these threads.

For the record, GnR is a great compliment to the typical stern pinball machine. Godzilla all day if you compare the two directly but sometimes it's nice to have an "offset" game or two in there to mix it up and GnR, especially for fans of the band, is that game. I'm excited to have both in my collection.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Performance Pinball

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 8,595.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 210.00
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
O'fallon, IL
€ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Brookings, OR
$ 240.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gnr-vs-godzilla?hl=grayont and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.