(Topic ID: 279226)

GNR Standard Edition: Smart Compromise or Upgrade-to-LE Incentive?

By Jason_Jehosaphat

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

The hype train is really rolling on GNR right now, but there are very few specifics – and certainly no streams of gameplay - regarding the SE model to help prospective buyers decide if the savings on the SE justify forgoing a raft of features. I’m interested in this game, but I’m not keen to drop nearly $10K on an LE. Does the SE truly make sense as an alternative, or is the SE so austere as to make it no more than an upgrade-to-the-LE incentivizing model the way the Stern PRO is often described as an upgrade-to-the-Premium/LE incentivizing model?

I realize I could post this to the GNR owners’ thread, but all the talk there is focused on the LE as the LE is the only model shipping right now. No one there seems to want to bother with talk about the stripped-down SE, but I do and I assume if you’re reading this post you might be interested, too. So, if you have helpful info to share about the SE, I’m all ears. I’m including what specs I could glean from JJP’s website and a link to a PF photo. For starters, I'd like to know what the shot paths are.

https://i2.wp.com/arcadeheroes.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/GnR_PF_SE-scaled-1.jpg?ssl=1

Standard Edition
• Monsterized Roadsters Cabinet Art Package
• Black Textured Powder Coat
• Blood Red Plastic Set
• Hand-Drawn Monsterized Band SE Backglass
• Unlimited Production
• 200+ Individually Controlled RGB LEDs
• Full Band On Stage Illuminable Toy
• 3 Flippers
• Bright White LED Controllable Hotrail Lighting
• Laser-etched Glowing Fender Bass Ramp Decoration

#2 3 years ago

The SE, like Stern pros, is very likely to be the best value of the models.

From a distance I would bet that the SE is the best player of the three. The upper playfield and guitar lock are certainly cool, but they seem to really slow the game down and add chop. To me a music pin needs speed and flow so you can get in a groove, my guess is that the SE will provide more of that.

Eric said he pushed for the SE price point so I’m sure he put a lot of thought into it. He’s also commented that it plays very fast.

The other thinG I thought was interesting is that the entire upper playfield comes off in one piece, makes me think that the bones of the game are the SE, or that at least the LE was designed with the SE in mind rather than the SE being an after thought.

The “best” parts of this pin are the music/video assets and light show, If the non-rgb rails can deliver I think the SE will be a fantastic game.

#3 3 years ago

I went with the SE I think the LE is a beautiful looking game. I'm usually not an upper PF guy one's i have owned in the past I have sold. Due to the upper PF is the reason I went with the SE. The SE cabinet art is not the best looking imo the LE cabinet looks really good in person.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

I'd like to know what the shot paths are.

Same shot paths as the other models except for the upper playfield, so the the ball always just goes around the left ramp and returns to the flipper.

I’m most concerned about how muted the amazing light show is on the SE.

#5 3 years ago

The art on SE both cabinet and backglass is hideous.

Otherwise comes down to what the different light show is like.

#6 3 years ago

On the light show, two things that give me hope

1.On the featurette video when they first introduce the rails to show them off they are in white, not RGB- and it looks amaze ball. Check it out

2. The hexagonal RGB stage lights are still there on the SE to add color/color changing

#7 3 years ago

Easiest solution is to just wait and see both play and how they look In action. No rush to buy needed on either right now.

#8 3 years ago

Don’t think I could get past the art, too bad it didn’t have a good art pkg, it would have made things interesting.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Easiest solution is to just wait and see both play and how they look In action. No rush to buy needed on either right now.

Hopefully a SE pops up near me so I can see it first hand. All LEs so far.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Don’t think I could get past the art, too bad it didn’t have a good art pkg, it would have made things interesting.

Yeah, if it wasn’t for the “Fake Dirty Donny” art, the SE would be a really attractive option at that price point.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yeah, if it wasn’t for the “Fake Dirty Donny” art, the SE would be a really attractive option at that price point.

I agree, having a hard time looking past the art. Shit, even the back glass sucks.

Imagine if the SE had a killer art pkg, we would really have something to talk about here.

#12 3 years ago

How long before someone makes custom art work and back glass for SE? I hate the art work compared to LE, but with shipping near $10k for a LE is insane to me.

#13 3 years ago

Man if they could have dropped the upper playfield and somehow kept the slash ball lock guitar neck and the duff bass guitar wireform with a diverter in place of the mini playfield and bumped up the SE price another $500 it would have been perfect in my opinion.all versions look fantastic though.

#14 3 years ago

I’ve been struggling with this same issue......My conclusion was LE. The Art package is superior in every way and unlike a Stern Pro vs. premium, you get a number of unique additions that in my opinion make it worth it. It will be interesting to see how many SE’s sell vs. LE’s. If this game wasn’t such a “keeper”, I would go SE and not look back, but I cannot imagine I would ever sell this game.

#15 3 years ago

I’m in for an LE and finally played one yesterday. My concern was not that the SE would be too bare, but the LE would be too crowded. I’m pleased to say that the LE, after only about a half dozen plays, was fun and seemed perfectly fine. That being said, the SE looks great to me and I think I would be quite happy with one. I’m looking forward to seeing and playing one.

#16 3 years ago

Buy what you can afford and enjoy.
Once you have it home, it's going to be the best version of GNR in your house.

#17 3 years ago

I think the SE will be an amazing machine and a good value for people typically looking at Stern Pro's but there is just SO MUCH packed into the LE and it has (in my opinion) far superior cabinet art - its a no brainer. I couldn't personally imagine going with anything other than the LE.

The light show, the guitar ball lock and fully featured upper playfield, invisiglass, shaker, etc...total no brainer.

#18 3 years ago

JJP should have taken a page from Stern's book and made the RGB hot rails an aftermarket part that SE owners could purchase for $500. This is the one thing holding me back from purchasing an SE.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

JJP should have taken a page from Stern's book and made the RGB hot rails an aftermarket part that SE owners could purchase for $500. This is the one thing holding me back from purchasing an SE.

Do we know for certain they can’t be upgraded to the RGB?

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Pretty sure Keith confirmed that earlier.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

great question. physically, sure...the real question is does the SE code support the RBG programming or would it require a different code that's like an "SE+"

#22 3 years ago

I would think you could technically lock balls faster on the SE where on the LE you actually have to do it physically.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

Have you seen the hot rails in person? i played the game yesterday and they were much more subdued than I would have thought prior to playing. They are still cool, but I wouldn't consider them a "must have" feature on the game. My biggest let down on the SE is the artwork. It's too bad they couldn't re-work the LE art slightly to make a different variation for the SE. The upper playfield is a pretty fun addition as well, so I would need to see how the game rules function with out it.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Have you seen the hot rails in person?

Unfortunately not yet. Hoping to play an SE this weekend but not sure if my location will have it by then. Curious...what was the ambient lighting like where you played? I feel like that has a lot to do with it.

I think I am one of only two or three people that actually like the Rat Fink style art.

#25 3 years ago

There's no upgrading the hot rails of the se.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

I went with the SE I think the LE is a beautiful looking game. I'm usually not an upper PF guy one's i have owned in the past I have sold. Due to the upper PF is the reason I went with the SE. The SE cabinet art is not the best looking imo the LE cabinet looks really good in person.

Totally agree - I will be ordering an SE next year

#27 3 years ago

Any SE video or gameplay reviews yet?

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

I think I am one of only two or three people that actually like the Rat Fink style art.

Nope, you're the only one that likes the SE art The rest of us are only thinking about the price.

#30 3 years ago

I think the SE looks fugly as shit. They took the LE art and made it funko style band skeletons. Plus they took over half the songs from AFD out. Big let down for me.
EDIT: From the twitch video, I thought I saw a reduced song list when one of the guys started a song. I guess all the songs are there but I can’t get past the artwork.

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I think the SE looks fugly as shit. They took the LE art and made it funko style band skeletons. Plus they took over half the songs from AFD out. Big let down for me.

Huh? The songs are the same

Based on gameplay video the SE is feeling more and more like the best choice to me... regardless of budget.

To me, an upper playfield makes no sense in a multi ball heavy game. Heck, I find third flippers are very hard to use in multi ball. I’ll take the flow and speed for $800 Alex.

1 year later
#32 2 years ago

Looking for input a year later.

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyd044:

Looking for input a year later.

I own a SE and I’m happy with it. The art isn’t for everyone but it’s for me because I personally love that Rat Fink style hand drawn art. My biggest disappointment with this game is the skill shot plunge. It’s the absolute worst in all of pinball!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Chaska, MN
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
Protection
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Machine - For Sale
Purcellville, VA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball
Boards
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Easton, MA
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Electronics
Skillshot Combo
Electronics
€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gnr-standard-edition-smart-compromise-or-upgrade-to-le-incentive?hl=svtrondogg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.