Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Patofnaud
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1472.JPG
IMG_1471.JPG
DSCN2245.JPG
DSCN2244.JPG
DSCN2242.JPG
DSCN2241.JPG

#1 7 years ago

Hi, i want to paint the side rails and lockDownBar on my GnR.
Want to give it powdercoat.
I have unscrewed 2 screws, on top and buttom, but i cant rock-move the siderails, ARE THEY GLUED? how doo i take em off?
Dont want to use force!

Have a nice pin day

#2 7 years ago

Nobody knows how to pull out siderails on Data East game?

#3 7 years ago

They are held on by double sided tape. Heat them up if you can and remove slowly.

#4 7 years ago

Seriosley? ahmmmm, heat up with a hairblower is it enough?
Is there any risk of ruining the side decals? or are they cut under the siderails?

If i cant get them off, any ideas, how i can paint them, on the machine? the best way?

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from DEN:

Seriosley? ahmmmm, heat up with a hairblower is it enough?
Is there any risk of ruining the side decals? or are they cut under the siderails?
If i cant get them off, any ideas, how i can paint them, on the machine? the best way?

Im trying to remember when I replaced the side rails on my old GnR. You will need new double sided tape to install the ned side rails. You dont need to use heat to take them off but it helps. Anything that is pealed off will be covered by the new siderails.

#6 7 years ago

Put a couple rows of tape under the rail on the side of the cabinet, like the first picture.

Take a razor blade or razor knife, and hold it at an angle so it puts a small cut through the artwork, in an area *underneath* the side rail. This is done so if the adhesive still sticks in an area, the most that can be peeled is to the line you've cut. You know the rail will cover the side of the cabinet over the cut. This is shown in the 2nd picture.

Take a 1.5 inch putty knife and a dead blow hammer. Put the putty knife edge under the side rail, and tap the dead blow hammer upwards until it cuts through all the tape. Do this down the entire siderail. It'll take about 10 minutes per side to go from one end to the other. This is done in the 3rd picture.

I don't know if the terminology is the same overseas, a dead blow hammer is a hammer that is covered in rubber and if it scrapes the cabinet, it won't tear up the artwork, just leaves rubber that you can wipe off.

The end result is the 4th picture. Use whatever solvent or adhesive remover you use to remove the old tape.

DSCN2241.JPG DSCN2242.JPG DSCN2244.JPG DSCN2245.JPG

#7 7 years ago

Waow, what an explanation...
Thank you VERY MUCH

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Put a couple rows of tape under the rail on the side of the cabinet, like the first picture. Take a razor blade or razor knife, and hold it at an angle so it puts a small cut through the artwork, in an area *underneath* the side rail.

I started trying to peel that rail off of my getaway to replace it and decided maybe Ill stop cause this damn thing is STUCK on big time. I'm so glad I read this before I went back to prying on the stupid thing again, you saved my cab art for sure! Thanks John!

6 months later
#9 6 years ago

Has anybody tried those vibrating tools with the blade on the end? I used on to remove a window. Seems like it might work for this.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from absocountry2:

Has anybody tried those vibrating tools with the blade on the end? I used on to remove a window. Seems like it might work for this.

Let me check with my wife.

Sorry, couldn't resist

#11 6 years ago

Data east side rails that are taped on are nothing like the bally williams ones. First, they are thick. Second, the tape is nowhere near as sticky. You can easily (and I mean easily) pry them off with a flat blade screw driver in about 30 seconds, without ruining the cabinet or side rail. You do not need a knife, heat gun, or any of that silly stuff.

This is not the case on B/W side rails. You have to do all those steps if you want to get those off intact. If you don't care about the side rails on B/W you can just pry them off, but you have to be careful so you don't ruin the cabinet.

Again, on Data East, you don't have to worry. Just stick a screwdriver in and pry slowly. They come right off. I put Stern armor guard side rails on my guns n roses and powder coated it Red. Looks great.

IMG_1471.JPG IMG_1472.JPG

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Data east side rails that are taped on are nothing like the bally williams ones. First, they are thick. Second, the tape is nowhere near as sticky. You can easily (and I mean easily) pry them off with a flat blade screw driver in about 30 seconds, without ruining the cabinet or side rail. You do not need a knife, heat gun, or any of that silly stuff.
This is not the case on B/W side rails. You have to do all those steps if you want to get those off intact. If you don't care about the side rails on B/W you can just pry them off, but you have to be careful so you don't ruin the cabinet.
Again, on Data East, you don't have to worry. Just stick a screwdriver in and pry slowly. They come right off. I put Stern armor guard side rails on my Guns n Roses and powder coated it Red. Looks great.

This table looks extremely rad. G&R is the only music themed pin I would even consider buying. Part of this is that the summer Appetite came out I played a lot of pinball and Sweet Child was constantly on the jukebox.

2 months later
#13 6 years ago
Quoted from absocountry2:

I tried, about an hour ago using a Craftsman model. No go. The glue and the pressure tends to bind it up. Doing it with a putty knife and a plastic hammer worked best.

One thing I did do was shim as I went along to cut down on the knife from binding as much, went easy. 1st side about 20 min, 2nd side about 10 min. Hardest part was getting them damn security torx screws out on the head end of the rail without having one of those tools.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 22.00
$ 259.99
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside