Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,507 posts
  • 286 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by screaminr
  • Topic is favorited by 28 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

299EB257-1468-4D12-80AA-BB64FCACA1AF (resized).jpeg
    A289674B-5F0E-4158-AE37-C34D8EF3BE8C (resized).jpeg
    B16D6615-BDE8-45F4-8782-C416D3D32F46 (resized).jpeg
    BatSharkRepllent1 (resized).jpg
    CB3189EA-426B-4E78-B52D-9559F37BBAFD (resized).jpeg
    volunteer 02.gif
    Jumping-the-Shark-Happy-Days-640x360 (resized).jpg
    free_speech_2x.png
    ECCE76E4-2F0F-4C65-B1ED-18FF25085ED3 (resized).png
    ECCE76E4-2F0F-4C65-B1ED-18FF25085ED3 (resized).png
    IMG_20210225_213015 (resized).jpg
    4ze435.jpg
    giphy.gif
    JJP (resized).JPG
    169696 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20210220-174913_YouTube (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zh2oson.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#356 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Exactly. I guess new buyers don't have the point of reference or experience of the prices of a few years ago....but as someone who bought a F-load of pins from 2007-2013, I can't NOT reflect on my previous buying experiences when considering a new game.
    Maybe the newer hobbyists will find this interesting, or maybe irrelevant cuz they don't care and just want what they want...but here's what I paid for a bunch of my games:
    Black Knight 2000 $700
    Whitewater $750 (plus $300 for a topper hehe)
    Dr. Who $1200
    BS Dracula $1500 (HUO)
    No Good Gofers $2200 (HUO, barely played)
    Road Show $1800 (nicely restored)
    Shadow $1800
    Addams $2400
    (Already that's 8 games for the price of 1 new one)
    Some of my more expensive ones I couldn't believe I was buying: Cirque Voltaire & Monster Bash, $4k each.
    Games I don't have anymore, but it's fun to think about what I paid for them:
    Big Guns $235
    BTTF $300
    Goldeneye $650
    Apollo 13 $800 (HUO)
    Tommy $1300
    GnR DE $1500
    Oh, and here's a fun one...Wheel of Fortune NIB!!!! $2400 lol
    Oh, pinball...I remember when you were fun to buy. Still fun to play! I'll enjoy my "cheapies".

This is a good perspective and your posts in the thread have been great, but the conceit of comparing historic prices with current prices for collectibles is slightly disingenuous. The price (and value) of consumer products changes, especially for items in limited supply and out of production.

For anyone who has ever bought or sold classic cars, we all have a story about something we let go for a ridiculously low price ten years ago that could put our kids through college today. "That [YEAR/MAKE/MODEL] sold for WHAT?!?!? I bought my MINT [YEAR/MAKE/MODEL] for $$$<<<" is a pretty common refrain in that hobby.

Plus, even for something bought-and-paid for like a pinball machine, there's a carrying cost. For you and me here in SoCal, the main carrying cost might be space. I know I can't keep all the great vehicles I've ever owned, nor can I do this with pinball machines - if I want something new, I need to make space. With every transaction, my cost-basis resets. Hopefully, I cash out with a profit and reinvest that money into something else at a higher price...that (God willing) also appreciates.

I think the more intellectually-honest comparison is to look at the top-tier "classic" game prices today vs. NIB prices today. As long as Stern LEs and JJP LEs are in spitting distance of nice Medieval Madness, Monster Bash, etc. I think you can justify the costs. $10,500 for Guns N' Roses (LE), though...??? That does feel like a bit much. For me.

EDIT: Looks like you have 23 games in your collection. Disregard my last point, and...mazel tof to you, my friend!

#359 3 years ago
    Quoted from ultimategameroom:

So now pinball collectors/hobbyists not only need to worry about FOMO (fear of missing out) there will also be the possibility of the dreaded FOSPI (fear of substantial price increase).
    At least JJP didn’t cancel all orders and raise prices like Stern did. Bastards!

"Buy TODAY to lock in our special, introductory rate! Only available for a limited time!"

#362 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Oh, believe me - I don’t expect modern goods/collectibles to be priced at what I paid. I’m just saying I can only base my perception of prices based on my experience....and I think a lot of us “old timers” come at it from that perspective, even though it’s not entirely relevant to what new companies have to charge for their product.

Now would be a good time to cash out on that great Whitewater investment and sell to someone local!

Eyebrow.gifEyebrow.gif
    #371 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I was actually looking at ramp sets the other day...thinking of doing a little restoration & throwing a little more money into it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zh2oson.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gnr-price-increased-by-1k?tu=zh2oson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.