Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,507 posts
  • 286 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by screaminr
  • Topic is favorited by 28 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

299EB257-1468-4D12-80AA-BB64FCACA1AF (resized).jpeg
    A289674B-5F0E-4158-AE37-C34D8EF3BE8C (resized).jpeg
    B16D6615-BDE8-45F4-8782-C416D3D32F46 (resized).jpeg
    BatSharkRepllent1 (resized).jpg
    CB3189EA-426B-4E78-B52D-9559F37BBAFD (resized).jpeg
    volunteer 02.gif
    Jumping-the-Shark-Happy-Days-640x360 (resized).jpg
    free_speech_2x.png
    ECCE76E4-2F0F-4C65-B1ED-18FF25085ED3 (resized).png
    ECCE76E4-2F0F-4C65-B1ED-18FF25085ED3 (resized).png
    IMG_20210225_213015 (resized).jpg
    4ze435.jpg
    giphy.gif
    JJP (resized).JPG
    169696 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20210220-174913_YouTube (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

I don't remember ever seeing a price increase this high all at once. Pretty crazy.
    I played GnR last weekend and thought it was great, but man, how high can these prices keep climbing? I know demand is through the roof on this one, and no doubt this had a lot to do with them raising the price by $1k..."because they can."

AC/DC LE was $6600 shipped. We bitched. A few years later, STLE was $7700 shipped. We bitched. Then Stern dropped the $12,500 B66. We bitched.

But...they...kept...selling. $12,500 became a norm. DLC $1000 toppers are becoming a norm. Us "old timer" hobbyists think it's stupid, but the buyers are there & don't seem to care.

I don't think I'll ever buy a NIB pin ever again...not because I can't, but on principle. I'd rather just keep playing my pins that cost "nothing" or my Nintendo Switch lol...all these new pins, no matter how expensive they are, are still untested & unfinished when shipping. Nah...I'm so far past the "paying to be the guinea pig" line at this point.

Sit back, let the NIBNEWBS & addicts waste their money...when they get bored & purge, maybe pick something up.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

TO THE MOON!!!!

Pins aren't STONKS!

#100 3 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Can’t wait for the summer post covid pinball crash

There won't be a crash. Pinball has now proven it's recession proof & pandemic proof. People in this hobby aren't living paycheck to paycheck & can afford to splurge on expensive frivolous things. During the last economic downturn, the pin crash was predicted as well...but people who had pins didn't need to purge them for liquid cash. That's the ONLY thing that causes a crash: EVERYONE in the hobby freaking out and purging collections at once, then racing to the bottom to sell.

Nothing about the current market suggests that will happen.

The only thing you'll see & are already seeing, which is relatively normal, is slightly lower resale prices of HUO newer titles. Since the manufacturers are now selling games at "flipper speculation prices" brand new, there's not really any way up on new games when selling used. So, a $9000 NIB game might sell for $8000 used. Hardly a crash, just normal depreciation.

#106 3 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

+1 and I also thought virtual reality would do some damage to the pinball demand. Nope, it pushed right on through.

Wow, well...that's a take lol.

I'm shocked that VR is still trying to be a thing. You're just never going to get mass acceptance...too many people just don't want shit strapped to their face so they can trip over shit and have people mess with them.

#245 3 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

And yet 100 times (if honestly not more) more people play VR than pinball.

Irrelevant comparison. An extremely expensive coin-op “collectible” vs. a mass market video game type thing. There’s zero competition or connection between these two items. The original post said he thought VR pinball would take sales from real pinball. The fact that pinball is real and tangible in a digital world is what’s kept it from being replaced by other things.

#250 3 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

VR/AR tech is actually coming along nicely and will be incredible by the end of this decade. VR will eventually be as ubiquitous as smart phones and you won't be strapping "shit" to your face for too much longer. The tech is moving quickly and most forms of entertainment are on notice because of VR, including pinball.

Lol, the VR true believers have been saying this for decades. Look, I get it - it’s very cool. It’s competing with video games though, and people still love video games too much to make a switch to VR en masse. It will remain a niche with very passionate fans always trying to convince me to use it.

#253 3 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

I am sure there are a lot people like me that have been here for quite a while and have money but don't feel the value is worth the price anymore.

Exactly. I guess new buyers don't have the point of reference or experience of the prices of a few years ago....but as someone who bought a F-load of pins from 2007-2013, I can't NOT reflect on my previous buying experiences when considering a new game.

Maybe the newer hobbyists will find this interesting, or maybe irrelevant cuz they don't care and just want what they want...but here's what I paid for a bunch of my games:

Black Knight 2000 $700
    Whitewater $750 (plus $300 for a topper hehe)
    Dr. Who $1200
    BS Dracula $1500 (HUO)
    No Good Gofers $2200 (HUO, barely played)
    Road Show $1800 (nicely restored)
    Shadow $1800
    Addams $2400

(Already that's 8 games for the price of 1 new one)

Some of my more expensive ones I couldn't believe I was buying: Cirque Voltaire & Monster Bash, $4k each.

Games I don't have anymore, but it's fun to think about what I paid for them:

Big Guns $235
    BTTF $300
    Goldeneye $650
    Apollo 13 $800 (HUO)
    Tommy $1300
    GnR DE $1500

Oh, and here's a fun one...Wheel of Fortune NIB!!!! $2400 lol

Oh, pinball...I remember when you were fun to buy. Still fun to play! I'll enjoy my "cheapies".

#271 3 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Makes me laugh depending which thread you are in, that if you criticise JJP or Stern, some people react like you are attacking their children!
    It's JUST a pinball machine

WHAT THE F DID YOU SAY ABOUT MY BABY!?!?!?!?

#274 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Remember that WOZ came out for about 6500 for early adopters, if I'm not mistaken.

At the time, new Sterns like Iron Man & Avatar were ~$4000. People were complaining that was too much for simpler games with less features and simplified rules. Still red DMDs...playfield supports were replaced with pegs. WOZ @$6500 was a bit "WHOAAA", but compared to Stern, it made sense for a widebody with a 27 inch color LCD and tons of mechanical stuff...it was offering what the hobbyists had been asking for. Funny how tastes & prices have changed so much. Now everyone hates widebodies, loves games with faster play & less features, and eager to throw more money at everything.

#303 3 years ago
    Quoted from fnosm:

Only a few got that price.
    NIB RRWOZ came off the line at 9K.

1000 people bought ECLE for $6500. More than "a few".

#339 3 years ago
    Quoted from apessino:

You should come down to OC for some pinball and VR... I will set you up with Lone Echo. If that does not change your perception of VR as a mind expanding platform for storytelling and entertainment I will give you my GNR LE.

I appreciate the offer, but plenty of VR lovers have tried to make me strap shit to my face. It’s never going to happen...especially shit that's been strapped to someone else’s face during a pandemic. I wish it success for those who enjoy it, but it’s not for me.

#360 3 years ago
    Quoted from zh2oson:

This is a good perspective and your posts in the thread have been great, but the conceit of comparing historic prices with current prices for collectibles is slightly disingenuous

Oh, believe me - I don’t expect modern goods/collectibles to be priced at what I paid. I’m just saying I can only base my perception of prices based on my experience....and I think a lot of us “old timers” come at it from that perspective, even though it’s not entirely relevant to what new companies have to charge for their product.

#367 3 years ago
    Quoted from zh2oson:

Now would be a good time to cash out on that great Whitewater investment and sell to someone local! [quoted image]

I was actually looking at ramp sets the other day...thinking of doing a little restoration & throwing a little more money into it.

#409 3 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

Pretty soon prices will be so high they wont sell enough to cover the cost to design the game. There is a certain level of sales needed to recoup the development costs and it seems like with the already small number of sales per title that soon prices will drive so many way they just won’t sell enough to break even.

As long as they sell 500 of the highest end version - they’re fine. 500 x $12,500 = $6,250,000

That’s already a success. Anything else past that is gravy.

#412 3 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

This move puzzles me a little. If money was such a problem, why have they not re-ran POTC?

Maybe they will - but GNR is such a hit, the factory will be busy for quite some time to meet demand. Perhaps when GNR sales calm down, pull a POTC vault & rake it in.

#446 3 years ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

We are in a pandemic, pinball is a luxury and right now people cant make a living and most don't have disposable cash. They should be glad to be staying a float.

The pandemic has shown the reality of pinball buyers...”regular” working people weren’t buying pinball before pandemic & they’re not going to during or after. $9500 is the same as $10,500 = something they don’t have, and if they did, they whisker spend it on pinball. To the people who have the disposable income to buy pinball - they had the money before, and they still have it. $1000 doesn’t make a dent in their lives, so if they want a NIB pinball, they’re buying either way.

#466 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Hobbit and WOZ have gone up in value? Unless you got them for a song used they have not gone up in value. Hobbits actually tanked in value.

Define “tanked”. Hobbit was $7500 NIB. I bought one for $6500. Is that “tanked” or “normal”? When Sterns like Elvis, Sopranos & South Park were $3500 NIB, you could get them used all day long for like $1500. Seems like games that depreciate today still hold a significant amount of their value.

#531 3 years ago
    Quoted from BrianBannon:

Elvis, Sopranos, and South Park for $1500? Unless they were broken and sitting on three legs, none of these pins were readily available working for close to $1500.

I used to go to auctions all the time, and those games absolutely went for those prices...they’re routed games so condition varies, but none were broken and awful. For a certain time, the only Stern Whitestar games that held value in the $3k zone were TSPP & LOTR...everything else was commonly $2000 or less.

#538 3 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

This for me, was just about to list both my Metallica Premium and TNA. I had just earlier today gotten approval from the Mrs for an LE...at the lower price I thought was the going rate. I’m not going to explain this increase to her...I’m just out.
    If there is a distro that has the a spot at the 9.5k price shipped let me know...

You lucked out. Better to keep two awesome games like Met & TNA! Legit keepers.

#648 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

This.
    Can I afford it? Yes.
    Do I have a mental block at paying $10K for a pin? Yes.
    Will my desire for a NIB JJP pin overcome my mental block? I don’t know.

The pin would have to hit every one of my buttons. An all time favorite theme, all of the assets integrated in an amazing way, great design, features, callouts, everything. That’s the only way I say “fuck it”. Even tho I like the band & the game looks neat...and I like music games... I’m not remotely tempted to bite on GnR.

I must fall in love at that price & expect a game that will be bolted to the floor.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gnr-price-increased-by-1k?tu=rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.