Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,507 posts
  • 286 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by screaminr
  • Topic is favorited by 28 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

299EB257-1468-4D12-80AA-BB64FCACA1AF (resized).jpeg
    A289674B-5F0E-4158-AE37-C34D8EF3BE8C (resized).jpeg
    B16D6615-BDE8-45F4-8782-C416D3D32F46 (resized).jpeg
    BatSharkRepllent1 (resized).jpg
    CB3189EA-426B-4E78-B52D-9559F37BBAFD (resized).jpeg
    volunteer 02.gif
    Jumping-the-Shark-Happy-Days-640x360 (resized).jpg
    free_speech_2x.png
    ECCE76E4-2F0F-4C65-B1ED-18FF25085ED3 (resized).png
    ECCE76E4-2F0F-4C65-B1ED-18FF25085ED3 (resized).png
    IMG_20210225_213015 (resized).jpg
    4ze435.jpg
    giphy.gif
    JJP (resized).JPG
    169696 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20210220-174913_YouTube (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chambahz.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1025 3 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

As much as I'd like a GNRLE, I just don't feel like "bending over" yet again. The business model sucks. Non-refundable deposits make 0 sense given their modest build capabilities. GNR is hot for the foreseeable future and it makes no sense if someone is "done" waiting, why they can't get their money back. With games changing hands between collectors, the chance of getting a game before yours is built likely.

I'm also not a fan of the non-refundable (and non-transferable, up here!) deposit but I think with Covid happening, it must be a living nightmare for nearly any business to function. Parts delays, shipping delays, manufacturing issues from keeping employees safely distanced... I expect that JJP (and all other manufacturers) are probably just doing the best they can, trying to make as many pins as possible. I expect that they're not giving guaranteed delivery dates simply because they know they can't. Too many variables beyond their control. They have a product that's in massive demand, so they get to increase the price, insist on non-refundable deposits, and will ship us the games when and only when they're ready to go!
    It's a serious change of pace from when I could call my distro and get a game between a few days and up to a month, but it is what it is.
    I'm just happy that this industry is thriving during covid and not suffering. That said, prices are getting stupid (resales included!) so it's kind of too-much-of-a-good-thing, from my perspective.

#1027 3 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Sorry - but that's the industry they are in. Manufacturing. These woes are not unique to them - there are strategies and methodologies used to manage those risks and work to generate a meaningful forecast.
    This isn't June of 2020 anymore...

Explain that to the salesman who sold us our new appliances, GUARANTEED to be here for the end of January, now expected at the end of next week (finally).
    Refridgerator, stove, cook-top... ordered them in November, and were told "No problem. We'll have them here by then!"
    The cook-top had to be cancelled completely and we bought it elsewhere.
    So no, I think life (and especially Covid) is a little more complicated that you're making it out to be.
    FYI: Bosch fridge and stove. Not sure what their annual sales are (apparently 77.7 billion euros in 2019) but it's MASSIVE compared to JJP and even they aren't able to handle what's going on right now.

#1029 3 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

You're comparing the word of sales - allocating units to a retailer too I assume? to the discussion about the job of the production managers. You can be damn sure the Bosch factory isn't operating with the mindset of "no, we have no idea how many units we will produce in the next 6 months" and "there is nothing we can do". Delays are one thing... but the idea of "nope.. nothing we can do" is not how manufacturers work. Between sourcing, inventory management, modifying your lead times, you still work to improve mitigation and diffuse risks so that you can get to a predictable cadence. The fact they won't commit to you personally about some one in gazillion orders isn't really the same discussion here.

I beg to differ. End user/buyer is the point of view that's being discussed. People are miffed because they don't have a firm delivery date on a new pin, same as my appliances. JJP is not alone with these challenges.
    In my situation, Bosch wasn't able to provide the units to the distributor in time. There were unexpected delays due to massive unanticipated demand.
    Big factories can't always adjust to produce unanticipated demand. JJP can't just hire twice as many people and have access to twice as much operating space simply because they have twice as many orders to fulfill. Forecasts are only effective when they're accurate and as I mentioned before, I don't think there were many people who accurately predicted the effects of this damn virus.
    I suppose JJP might have an idea of how many pins they are producing daily and they could therefore look at the order list and using "first come, first served" method, predict how many days it will take to reach each distributor. But then, that's not allowing for any delays from parts not arriving in time for example.
    All I know is it's absolutely silly for us to just assume they're being dicks cause they don't know better or don't care.

That said, my lying Bosch sales guy is a dick.
    : )

#1035 3 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

We've been saying this for a few years. I agree it is crazy...but while the prices might have got a boost due to COVID...they were already headed that way before then. I doubt they are going to go down any time soon. We are just in prime nostalgia people with money timeframe. Sure, there may be a few less, but you might have more operators buying at that point to make up for it.

Wait for everyone to get their Covid vaccine and see how many vacations get booked. Many people who are paying for pinball machines now will be jetting off to somewhere tropical with their families.
    I expect there’s a lot of those funds currently being spent on pinball machines.
    No reason to think prices will drastically reduce, but maybe subside, somewhat?
    I would bet we won’t see the same level of demand for resale games.

#1055 3 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

The $10500 USA price doesn’t include sales tax or shipping.
    Your quoted $13530 (USD) Aussie price includes shipping to Aussie from the states and GST. GST alone (10%?) equates to 1200-1300 bucks.
    Not justifying the price - but you forgot about that stuff. They don’t just magically appear in Melbourne.
    rd

And then there’s overhead and volume to consider. If a distributor outside of the States has to cover all their expenses from a smaller client base, prices have to be increased.

#1059 3 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

So this doesn't negate your ability to forecast - it extends delivery targets. The argument being discussed was the idea that they can't forecast. Forecast is their production output and schedule. Demand would change deliveries, but wouldn't intrinsically screw their forecast. Their production schedule is bound by their manufacturing ability and their supply chain.

That's why plants like these rely on contractor labor companies - so yes.. they can literally dial up the knob and say "we need 20 more workers starting next week for the next 10 weeks". It obviously takes time to train people, and not aspects scale the same, there is inertia in all this, but again... you're confusing the idea of 'delivery targets' with what was being discussed - forecasting production. When you have such sustained demand that your forecast looks like it will be insufficient, you look to decide if increasing production is the right choice for you. When you face supply chain uncertainty - you work to mitigate those risks. You don't just throw up your hands and say "no one knows... check back in 6 months".
    Let's not forget... GNR was released FOUR MONTHS ago. If someone hasn't started adapting or planning how to address this 'unprecedented demand' -- something is F'd.
    JJP knows internally what their production schedule looks like and they know their risk elements. Unreliable performance is a given in this environment, but that's why people make changes to how they function to try to lessen the probability or scale of that impact. Again, this isn't June 2020 anymore.. you have to adapt, not just 'blame covid'. Mitigations include things like increasing buffers in inventory to minimize risk of starvation, alternate sources, changing order lead times, switching shipping methods, stockpiling, sequencing... Just saying... This is what the professionals are paid to do. This kind of stuff happens all the time in non-covid world too. This is why these people have jobs

Very informative, thanks for sharing!
    So I guess they ARE just being dicks. : )
    Either that or companies this size don’t have paid staff members with the experience required to forecast like you have exampled. Let’s not forget the size and management limitations of Stern and JJP. If they had staff members with training able to predict the effects of Covid, and were able to evolve quickly, they’d probably have to charge even more for games.
    These are (in my opinion) small manufacturing companies that we’re dealing with. Companies that continue to struggle with simple recurring play field issues that shouldn’t still be problems. (Hopefully resolved, but only recently)

Still, the whole concept or adapting, as you have explained, is pretty interesting.
    I truly wonder how capable Stern and JJP are when it comes to stuff like this. Even Stern right now has back orders so it would appear that JJP is not alone in this regard.

#1082 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chambahz:

I expect that they're not giving guaranteed delivery dates simply because they know they can't.

Quoted from flynnibus:

And right now, they either just are not, or don't feel confident enough in their ability to share delivery estimates.

Well I'm glad I was finally able to convince you to see the light!
    : )

#1131 3 years ago

I wonder if JJP considered how fortunate they were with the licensee on GnR and increased the price by $1000 recognizing that maybe future pins won’t be as “full” and may not seem like good value at the same price?
    So increase GnR by $1000 knowing that next release lists for regular price and doesn’t seem like poor value, in comparison.

Probably more like “demand is high, let’s strike while the iron is hot!” Since they’re in business to make money, but who knows?

I was put off by the $1000 increase (over $1440 for us Canadians after exchange and taxes) and really not impressed by the thought of having to wait 5-6 months (and maybe more, who knows?) to get one, but put an order in this last week after hearing how great the game is by a friend.
    If the game is great, I expect it will hold its value or at least most of it. I’m more concerned with the resale price than I am with the initial outlay, as that determines my true cost to play.

#1209 3 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

There. That’s your wronged/hurt quote.
    Again. We’re talking about a toy that previously cost $9.5k... no one is getting screwed over.
    No one in this forum knows why they raised prices. You can speculate, but no one has a single scintilla of a fact. Maybe it has little to do with greed. Perhaps Covid manufacturing is costing them more than they had projected? Perhaps certain materials/components that JJP uses have sky rocketed in price? Perhaps it’s both of those and they’re looking to make a little bit of extra profit?

I could not be in greater agreement with your recent posts.
    Look at the for sale ads here on Pinside. Nearly everyone selling a pin is asking top dollar for whatever they're listing.
    God forbid JJP should also try to get top dollar for the pins they sell. (And they have real overhead to consider)
    FYI: I ordered a GNRLE last week at the new higher price. Sucks, but I'm hearing that it's worth it so I'm taking the plunge.
    Looking froward to enjoying it when it finally arrives, many months from now.

#1211 3 years ago
    Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Brave spending over $10k on a game you have not played. Not being sarcastic, I couldn’t do it. I always try before I buy, if I can, and so far I have. Hopefully you get it sooner than later and love it.

Yeah, I wasn’t convinced, even after watching videos and reading reviews but a buddy got one recently and he’s usually pretty reliable and honest about new pins. Not a “my new pin is the best ever” kind of guy.
    He said it’s “exceptional” and on par with AC/DC and Metallica which is saying a lot.
    So I think it’s at least good enough to buy, play for a while, and then resell at a slight loss when I’m done with it if it’s not all I’m hoping it will be.

#1249 3 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

You can buy this for $1200+ less than new and know what you're dealing with. Or you can pay the new price for the game in addition to spinning the mystery wheel about what kind of playfield that you're going to get, unless the new premium price includes a "no chip guarantee". And oh yeah, you might get that 11K NIB 5 months down the road.

Wrong thread.

#1270 3 years ago

“Accept certain inalienable truths
    Prices will rise, politicians will philander, you too, will get old
    And when you do, you'll fantasize that when you were young
    Prices were reasonable, politicians were noble
    And children respected their elders“

-Baz Luhrmann

#1367 3 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

I read it today, and felt it was relevant to a discussion on a price increase. Not a crusade at all.
    Why does the idea of unskilled workers getting paid living wages threaten or offend so many on here?
    JJP increases a game's price over 10%, and it's doubtful their bottom line is taking a loss, while employees are seemingly not benefiting either.
    It doesn't have to be this way, but more on this board approve than disapprove. I'm guessing that's a matter regarding personal income, and those that are offended maybe make less than those that aren't.
    I think I've stated once or twice in a thread that my base salary is $60K. Not bad at all. Not amazing. I'd be curious where people lie in this discussion. God forbid such a topic be discussed.

Dude, you’ve provided more than ample explanation as to why you’re not supportive of the price hike. There’s no right or wrong, that’s your opinion to make.
    Nobody else seems to be grabbing pitchforks or torches though so why not just say “Too much for me, I’m out!” And leave it at that? I promise you it will be far less frustrating than fighting a never-ending battle on Pinside about minimum wages and capitalism.

#1393 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

Hahaha, I honestly was thinking of applying, it’d be a blast, the best quality to ever come out of there

Right? The thought of working after retirement (even part time) makes my stomach churn.
    But putting in a few shifts a week building pins and getting paid for it?
    I mean, I suppose like any job, it might be “just work” after a week/day/hour, but it’s got to be way more fun than loan applications!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chambahz.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gnr-price-increased-by-1k?tu=chambahz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.