Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,507 posts
  • 286 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by screaminr
  • Topic is favorited by 28 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

299EB257-1468-4D12-80AA-BB64FCACA1AF (resized).jpeg
    A289674B-5F0E-4158-AE37-C34D8EF3BE8C (resized).jpeg
    B16D6615-BDE8-45F4-8782-C416D3D32F46 (resized).jpeg
    BatSharkRepllent1 (resized).jpg
    CB3189EA-426B-4E78-B52D-9559F37BBAFD (resized).jpeg
    volunteer 02.gif
    Jumping-the-Shark-Happy-Days-640x360 (resized).jpg
    free_speech_2x.png
    ECCE76E4-2F0F-4C65-B1ED-18FF25085ED3 (resized).png
    ECCE76E4-2F0F-4C65-B1ED-18FF25085ED3 (resized).png
    IMG_20210225_213015 (resized).jpg
    4ze435.jpg
    giphy.gif
    JJP (resized).JPG
    169696 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20210220-174913_YouTube (resized).jpg
    There are 1,507 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 31.
    #251 3 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

So basically the CE owners paid an extra $2K for rad cals, lock down bar emblem, skull shooter, powder coating, laser cut rails, coma lock, upgraded play field, and extra lighting....

I feel good today!

#252 3 years ago

I do pretty well for myself but this hobby is becoming a rich mans hobby. Even if I had a extra $20k layi

Quoted from zaphX:

I'm wondering that myself.
    When I got into pins, $5699 for a NIB SW Pro seemed like an incredible extravagance.
    Then I discovered POTC and $9500 seemed like the ceiling I'd ever pay.
    Then I discovered Radcals and the other CE perks and it seemed like "what's another $3000 on top of the already extravagant $9500?"
    $12500 is a LOT of money to spend for one game. I really don't know if I've got the stomach to go up from here, though history has shown I keep upping my own ante.

you are the perfect NIB buyer Stern/JJP are looking for. You keep taking the bait and until people stop they will keep going.

#253 3 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

I am sure there are a lot people like me that have been here for quite a while and have money but don't feel the value is worth the price anymore.

Exactly. I guess new buyers don't have the point of reference or experience of the prices of a few years ago....but as someone who bought a F-load of pins from 2007-2013, I can't NOT reflect on my previous buying experiences when considering a new game.

Maybe the newer hobbyists will find this interesting, or maybe irrelevant cuz they don't care and just want what they want...but here's what I paid for a bunch of my games:

Black Knight 2000 $700
    Whitewater $750 (plus $300 for a topper hehe)
    Dr. Who $1200
    BS Dracula $1500 (HUO)
    No Good Gofers $2200 (HUO, barely played)
    Road Show $1800 (nicely restored)
    Shadow $1800
    Addams $2400

(Already that's 8 games for the price of 1 new one)

Some of my more expensive ones I couldn't believe I was buying: Cirque Voltaire & Monster Bash, $4k each.

Games I don't have anymore, but it's fun to think about what I paid for them:

Big Guns $235
    BTTF $300
    Goldeneye $650
    Apollo 13 $800 (HUO)
    Tommy $1300
    GnR DE $1500

Oh, and here's a fun one...Wheel of Fortune NIB!!!! $2400 lol

Oh, pinball...I remember when you were fun to buy. Still fun to play! I'll enjoy my "cheapies".

#254 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

I do pretty well for myself but this hobby is becoming a rich mans hobby. Even if I had a extra $20k layi

you are the perfect NIB buyer Stern/JJP are looking for. You keep taking the bait and until people stop they will keep going.

Yep! Will keep doing it too.

#255 3 years ago

WozLE was like $6,500 if ordered early, now how much for a YBR edition?
    This is nothing new, they been doing it since day one, literally.
    I might have grabbed one of these, but tough to justify now.
    But hey, now the flippers are already up 1K!

#256 3 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

I am sure there are a lot people like me that have been here for quite a while and have money but don't feel the value is worth the price anymore.

bingo.

#257 3 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

Yep! Will keep doing it too.

atta boy, they will love you for it or at least your money

#258 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

atta boy, they will love you for it or at least your money

Why are you looking for love in this hobby?

You aren't buying love. You are buying a pinball machine.

#259 3 years ago

Remember that WOZ came out for about 6500 for early adopters, if I'm not mistaken. And what price does a monkey-less YBR go for these days? They don't call 'em Jersey Jack for nothing...that's what they've been doing with prices for years. (Full disclosure: I bought my WOZ for 9k.) This price hike sucks, to be sure. But I was really disgusted when Jack dropped the powdercoated habitrails on Hobbit JUST before shipping them to patient preorder customers because "they slowed the ball down." Gee...my WOZ never had that problem.

The real problem here is that historically, how JJP goes, so goeth Stern. They'll just keep chasing each other up the ladder until everything crashes.

#260 3 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

WozLE was like $6,500 if ordered early, now how much for a YBR edition?
    This is nothing new, they been doing it since day one, literally.
    I might have grabbed one of these, but tough to justify now.
    But hey, now the flippers are already up 1K!

Ha! We think alike!

#261 3 years ago

These recent mfg price increases, if successful, increase the value of your collection and signal to the market that there is money to be made, come on in. This situation is what encourages more companies to make pinball. More pinball is better than less pinball.

Alternatively, this could be a bubble. If so we are all hosed.

#262 3 years ago

Never ONCE have I believed there was money to be made in pins. I have less money now that I'm in the hobby than before. Way less.

#263 3 years ago
    Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

I put a deposit down for EHOH and Stern jacked the price up $500 in January 2021. Not happy, but guess I am glad it’s not a $1000 more.

However you did pay a 500.00 increase despite you having a deposit down with your distro already thanks to Stern. In this case with JJP those who already ordered their LE's didn't get the 1k increase. Although the 1k increase is nuts and it is, JJP and the distro's did right by their customers who already had orders in without increase.

#264 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Why are you looking for love in this hobby?
    You aren't buying love. You are buying a pinball machine.

Correct.

#265 3 years ago
    Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Never ONCE have I believed there was money to be made in pins. I have less money now that I'm in the hobby than before. Way less.

The secret to making money is to hold on to your collection long enough that the NIB prices make what you are asking reasonable.

#266 3 years ago

For me its hard to think what your game might sell for if it doesn't last in your collection. Historically most JJP pins drop in value (first year) after u open the box i.e. DI, Hobbit, Woz, Wonka. POTC was an anomaly (I owned two LE's that I bought used before the prices got stupid). I pulled the trigger on a GNR CE, but only after I convinced myself that it was unique enough that it had a chance to hold its value.

#267 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Man, why does everybody in this hobby take everything so personally?
    They didn't raise prices because they hate you or want to cause you and your loved ones discomfort. They raised prices because it's what they have to do, and clearly, what they can do. 10 years on it's still an open question whether or not JJP is turning a profit, so cut them some slack.
    You want these fancy schmantzy JJP games you are gonna have to pay up for them. If the price is too high don't pull the trigger. That's been the story ever since the first WOZ games went on sale.
    There's always Stern Pro games - the cheapest full-sized, full featured pinball machines available. For $6000 clams or less you too can own a brand new pinball machine! You just can't have a brand new JJP.
    And if you can't afford that there's a ton of nice $1000 or less EMs around.
    Something for everybody in this hobby. Relax folks!

It's most likely the issue that this was done so early in a run, and not between games, and with NO notice ahead of time in case people were on the fence. Now that fence has ball tearing barbwire on it for some.

Thing is, realistically they're pricing themselves out of the home market, now 12,000 plays for a home owner to equal location play, and location play is still iffy for the foreseeable future.

People want success for these companies, but in a way where they at least feel respected, valued, and treated relatively fairly.

Or not....

#268 3 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

It's most likely the issue that this was done so early in a run, and not between games, and with NO notice ahead of time in case people were on the fence.

4+ months into the run is early?

#269 3 years ago

Makes me laugh depending which thread you are in, that if you criticise JJP or Stern, some people react like you are attacking their children!

It's JUST a pinball machine

#270 3 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

Considering their order fulfillment for even day one orders still seem backlogged, from what people are saying, and that JJP seems to run games for at least a year, yes.

Add in seemingly, diminished staffing on their end, all the more so.

#271 3 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Makes me laugh depending which thread you are in, that if you criticise JJP or Stern, some people react like you are attacking their children!

WHAT THE F DID YOU SAY ABOUT MY BABY!?!?!?!?

#272 3 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

Yes.

#273 3 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

Yep...

#274 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Remember that WOZ came out for about 6500 for early adopters, if I'm not mistaken.

At the time, new Sterns like Iron Man & Avatar were ~$4000. People were complaining that was too much for simpler games with less features and simplified rules. Still red DMDs...playfield supports were replaced with pegs. WOZ @$6500 was a bit "WHOAAA", but compared to Stern, it made sense for a widebody with a 27 inch color LCD and tons of mechanical stuff...it was offering what the hobbyists had been asking for. Funny how tastes & prices have changed so much. Now everyone hates widebodies, loves games with faster play & less features, and eager to throw more money at everything.

#275 3 years ago
    Quoted from fnosm:

These recent mfg price increases, if successful, increase the value of your collection and signal to the market that there is money to be made, come on in. This situation is what encourages more companies to make pinball. More pinball is better than less pinball.
    Alternatively, this could be a bubble. If so we are all hosed.

More exotic/boutique/overpriced stuff isn’t necessarily good.

Sales demand shows there is money in the market... it doesn’t necessarily mean competition... just means more people trying to capitalize on it with their own crazy prices.

Just look at the topper market... 200-300 used to be high.. now we see more and more people flooding into the space people clowns keep buying 400, 600, and now 1000+ toppers.

#276 3 years ago
    Quoted from Indusguys:

Why can't someone from JJP explain within reason why they jacked the price, I think we deserve that at least. Just jacking up the price with no explanation makes me realize JJP thinks I'm a jackass!

I don't think there's any mystery here. The demand for pinballs is through the roof right now... sellers on the secondhand market aren't sitting on their hands and offering 2017 or 2018 prices. Why should JJP?

Looks like current order holders aren't paying the hike, new orders will. Which is wise. Ultimately, the market will dictate whether or not a $1,000 increase will stick. Our dollars have the final say. So far, I haven't seen evidence that any price increase has been market-rejected. As much as I wish these games cost less, it's hard to imagine this case will be any different.

#277 3 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

More exotic/boutique/overpriced stuff isn’t necessarily good.

Only time will tell.

Quoted from flynnibus:

Sales demand shows there is money in the market..

Money in the market,( blood in the water), either way that draws attention and encourages more to go for it. It is how markets work. Excess profits = more suppliers. At some point the market will be saturated and mfgs will have to compete on price, hopefully driving price down.

Quoted from flynnibus:

Just look at the topper market... 200-300 used to be high.. now we see more and more people flooding into the space people clowns keep buying 400, 600, and now 1000+ toppers.

Exactly

#278 3 years ago

There are other NIB options. American pinball hot wheels is priced reasonably and I was really impressed with with pricing on the AFM and monster Bash remakes when they were available. Great games reasonably priced.

Having said that the hype for GNR is the theough the roof. I do not even like GNR and I would like to have one.

Having said that 10 percent price hike is pretty big in one shot. But can’t say I blame them for trying.

#279 3 years ago

None of the latest games have got any real innovation since the 90's, apart from improved lighting, deeper code and LCD's.

#280 3 years ago
    Quoted from ataritoday:

There are other NIB options. American pinball hot wheels is priced reasonably and I was really impressed with with pricing on the AFM and monster Bash remakes when they were available. Great games reasonably priced.
    Having said that the hype for GNR is the theough the roof. I do not even like GNR and I would like to have one.
    Having said that 10 percent price hike is pretty big in one shot. But can’t say I blame them for trying.

Two things:

1) What's Spooky's next game?
    2) Stern TMNT Pro is ABSOLUTELY the best NIB value in pinball right now

#281 3 years ago

Stranger things Demogorgon toy and TK lock are two mechs that have never been done before.

The insert light switches on GNR

The rising magnet spinner on Zepp

The black knight flail

The magnet hold lock on Avengers

Opto spinners.

Rocking ship on POTC.

Should I keep going? Haha

#282 3 years ago

That post cracked me up too.

"Except for this extensive laundry list of innovation over the past 30 years, where's the innovation?!?!??!"

Innovation is the ultimate white rabbit in pinball. Nobody knows what it is, they don't recognize it when it actually happens, they don't know why they need it, but goddammit, THEY WANT IT NOW!

#283 3 years ago

I’m impressed everyone. I thought for sure seeing this many posts in such a short amount of time that this thread would be on the verge of a lock. Not even one moderated post.

#284 3 years ago

It's an oxymoron

#285 3 years ago

Has JJP made an official statement about this or anything that anyone has seen?

#286 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I struggle with people that think you’re not able to experience this hobby unless you’re buying new games.

What is the max amount that you are willing to pay for a pin???? Just curious

#287 3 years ago
    Quoted from djsolzs:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

JERSEY JACK PINBALL LLC

February 3, 2021:

We raised our prices. Tough Titty. Don't like it don't buy it.

Sincerely,

JJP

#288 3 years ago

So early adopters got a $1000 discount. Pinside rages, sounds about right.

#289 3 years ago
    Quoted from djsolzs:

JJP doesn't communicate with their customer base

#290 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    JERSEY JACK PINBALL LLC
    February 3, 2021:
    We raised our prices. Tough Titty. Don't like it don't buy it.
    Sincerely,
    JJP

Fixed:

JERSEY JACK PINBALL LLC
    February 3, 2021:

We raised our prices. Fuggetaboutit.

- JJP

#291 3 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Would you communicate with this lot?

Brutal!

#292 3 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Well, they may not overly communicate, but they do make an effort. They have the occasional podcast, post on Facebook, answer the phone, unofficially participate on pinside.

Which pinball mfg would you have them emulate when it comes to communication?

#293 3 years ago
    Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Fixed:
    JERSEY JACK PINBALL LLC
    February 3, 2021:
    We raised our prices. Fuggetaboutit.
    - JJP

Fixed:
    JERSEY JACK PINBALL LLC
    February 3, 2021:
    We raised our prices. Don't disrespect the Bing!
    -JJP

#294 3 years ago

Woz started at $6500 and now look at it.

#295 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Woz started at $6500 and now look at it.

Only a few got that price.
    NIB RRWOZ came off the line at 9K.

#296 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Man, why does everybody in this hobby take everything so personally?
    They didn't raise prices because they hate you or want to cause you and your loved ones discomfort. They raised prices because it's what they have to do, and clearly, what they can do. 10 years on it's still an open question whether or not JJP is turning a profit, so cut them some slack.
    You want these fancy schmantzy JJP games you are gonna have to pay up for them. If the price is too high don't pull the trigger. That's been the story ever since the first WOZ games went on sale.
    There's always Stern Pro games - the cheapest full-sized, full featured pinball machines available. For $6000 clams or less you too can own a brand new pinball machine! You just can't have a brand new JJP.
    And if you can't afford that there's a ton of nice $1000 or less EMs around.
    Something for everybody in this hobby. Relax folks!

I agree with you - but the funny thing is that if they had priced GNR as it is now from the beginning, I don't think most would have objected, especially given the enthusiastic reception of the pin.

Hiking the price of their most successful, in demand product ever by >10% after only a couple months of production might be what they have to do, and maybe it is also good business (who knows), but it sure seems like a questionable PR move.

#297 3 years ago

I’m pretty sure it’s more annoying that people are selling CEs for $20k and LEs over market than JJP increasing the price $1k after selling likely thousands of games already. It must have been extremely annoying to JJP, thus the increase. But I’m like everyone else, and reached out to my distributor to make sure I have the original price

#298 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That post cracked me up too.
    "Except for this extensive laundry list of innovation over the past 30 years, where's the innovation?!?!??!"

What has Stern ever done for us?!?

210B1688-9438-4415-BCC7-BD8525D192DB (resized).jpeg210B1688-9438-4415-BCC7-BD8525D192DB (resized).jpeg
    #299 3 years ago

Some of them are most likely paid.

#300 3 years ago
    Quoted from Anubis330:

What is the max amount that you are willing to pay for a pin???? Just curious

a million dollars.

There are 1,507 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 31.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gnr-price-increased-by-1k/page/6?hl=mrm_4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.