Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,507 posts
  • 286 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by screaminr
  • Topic is favorited by 28 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

299EB257-1468-4D12-80AA-BB64FCACA1AF (resized).jpeg
    A289674B-5F0E-4158-AE37-C34D8EF3BE8C (resized).jpeg
    B16D6615-BDE8-45F4-8782-C416D3D32F46 (resized).jpeg
    BatSharkRepllent1 (resized).jpg
    CB3189EA-426B-4E78-B52D-9559F37BBAFD (resized).jpeg
    volunteer 02.gif
    Jumping-the-Shark-Happy-Days-640x360 (resized).jpg
    free_speech_2x.png
    ECCE76E4-2F0F-4C65-B1ED-18FF25085ED3 (resized).png
    ECCE76E4-2F0F-4C65-B1ED-18FF25085ED3 (resized).png
    IMG_20210225_213015 (resized).jpg
    4ze435.jpg
    giphy.gif
    JJP (resized).JPG
    169696 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20210220-174913_YouTube (resized).jpg
    There are 1,507 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 31.
    #1101 3 years ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

First - if anyone thinks that a $1000 price increase is to just cover costs you are in the twilight zone. This is a well executed (and I dare say planned from the start price hike, car manufacturers with hot models have done the same). Get more orders than you can cope with, say you are doing your best, generate demand for the old price and keeping people on board by creating a new price the has no demand therefore locking in existing buyers and increasing satisfaction by saying you are doing them a favour! The guy who runs the company now is no idiot!

Bingo. Great marketing ploy. Before this raise there were some people grumbling about not knowing when their game would be ready and thinking it could be many months and talk of canceling orders was percolating. All that talk ended immediately with the price increase.

The marketing move from JJP locked some people out, but it also locked a good many in...

#1102 3 years ago

You know what I do when companies do that? I cancel and walk away. Don't support bad business practices. The world and especially the US has become VERY anti consumer making every excuse under the sun for bad business decisions, bad practices, bad QA and making consumers feel guilty for calling them out on it and demanding better. No. There are plenty of options in the world that are more than willing to step up and take my money.

That is..assuming, that is really what is going on here.

#1103 3 years ago
    Quoted from Utesichiban:

JJP and Stern are testing how high they can go. If people keep buying, you can take it to the bank this will be their new pricing structure going forward.
    The best thing that could happen is people stop buying and demand plummets. I think that may happen over time but probably not until Covid is waning and people are frequenting sporting events, restaurants movie theatres, and traveling again.

This will be the new pricing structure and prices will not drop. They never have. And usually when JJP raises their price by $1000 Stern raises theirs by 500-1000 and cheapens up the next game with less toys or quality issues from using cheaper materials. We have always said we will not buy at the new price, that the company will lose all their customers etc. and it has never happened yet. JJP will limit production on the game and come back with another edition a year later with a price tag even $1000 higher. Remember the yellow brick road and ruby red slipper editions of WOZ, and the black arrow editions of Hobbit etc? The prices only went up and stayed up.

There will be no sympathy from JJP or Stern. And rebates have never happened and its doubtful they ever will.

#1104 3 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

We probably drink half the bourbon they make ...
    rd

I think I need to plan a trip to New Zealand

#1105 3 years ago

Quoted from rotordave:

We probably drink half the bourbon they make ...
    rd

Don’t flatter yourself.

#1106 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lamberger:

Alien as well... Can't wait to get that beast. Biggest bang for buck right now.

wow, 3 duds pissed,... ok, lets hear it?

#1107 3 years ago
    Quoted from playernumber4:

This will be the new pricing structure and prices will not drop. They never have. And usually when JJP raises their price by $1000 Stern raises theirs by 500-1000 and cheapens up the next game with less toys or quality issues from using cheaper materials. We have always said we will not buy at the new price, that the company will lose all their customers etc. and it has never happened yet. JJP will limit production on the game and come back with another edition a year later with a price tag even $1000 higher. Remember the yellow brick road and ruby red slipper editions of WOZ, and the black arrow editions of Hobbit etc? The prices only went up and stayed up.
    There will be no sympathy from JJP or Stern. And rebates have never happened and its doubtful they ever will.

Demand for these NIB games is not inelastic. There is a limit and they are just about there.

I know if Stern tries to raise prices another $500-1000k, I'm out. I have already written off any JJP games since my miserable experience with a WOZ and never ending light board issues a few years back (I know too many other JJP owners with maintenance and/or playfield issues to want to go down that road again).

I could still afford to buy at a higher price but because I recognize the pricing has exceeded their real value (at least to me), I won't buy NIB going forward at these prices. Many others including operators will be priced out. As the economy shifts to away from home entertainment, many of these overpriced games will sit unsold.

We'll agree to disagree I guess. People and these companies seem to think Covid is going to last forever. It won't and people, including me, are going to start spending their money on fun away from the home. Don't shoot the messenger.

#1108 3 years ago
    Quoted from Utesichiban:

Demand for these NIB games is not inelastic. There is a limit and they are just about there.

Honestly, you're just guessing. I would think that JJP and Stern know what the market will bear based on sales, pre orders, distributor feedback, and other means.

#1109 3 years ago
    Quoted from Utesichiban:

I know if Stern tries to raise prices another $500-1000k, I'm out. I have already written off any JJP games since my miserable experience with a WOZ and never ending light board issues a few years back (I know too many other JJP owners with maintenance and/or playfield issues to want to go down that road again).
    I could still afford to buy at a higher price but because I recognize the pricing has exceeded their real value (at least to me), I won't buy NIB going forward at these prices. Many others including operators will be priced out. As the economy shifts to away from home entertainment, many of these overpriced games will sit unsold.
    We'll agree to disagree I guess. People and these companies seem to think Covid is going to last forever. It won't and people, including me, are going to start spending their money on fun away from the home. Don't shoot the messenger.

Quoted from Methos:

Honestly, you're just guessing. I would think that JJP and Stern know what the market will bear based on sales, pre orders, distributor feedback, and other means.

I do think that there is a threshold at which more and more people get priced out, or a point at which people decide the cost isn't worth it anymore. I don't know where that line is, but I do think there is a line.

And I do believe there is a price-point where the really wealthy, cost-is-no-object, collectors won't be able to make up for the lost revenue from the more modestly budgeted / value-oriented collectors.

#1110 3 years ago

The price point is based on the pin. If GNR wasn’t incredible & didn’t knock it out the park they wouldn’t be raising the price. They are simply capturing the cash left on the table. If you got in before the hike, you are stoked. If you didn’t, you’re on this thread complaining. And unless something tops GNR, then some people who are contemplating the $10,500 price rage will coming around and pay the money in time. If Sterns Godzilla is lukewarm people will look around at the options available. I bet a lot of people waiting for LZ put money down on a GNR after it was revealed

#1111 3 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

I do think that there is a threshold at which more and more people get priced out, or a point at which people decide the cost isn't worth it anymore. I don't know where that line is, but I do think there is a line.
    And I do believe there is a price-point where the really wealthy, cost-is-no-object, collectors won't be able to make up for the lost revenue from the more modestly budgeted / value-oriented collectors.

Fully agree with this. Have many Non pinball friends and coworkers over and as usual they Always want one of everything they see Until I have to tell them the costs involved to get into this hobby. Thats when you see their head turn and start calculating just how much crazy money is parked in the game room lol.

#1112 3 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Actually, they don't. They are testing it. So far, they've gotten away with it but Covid will be winding down mid summer. Come fall/winter, I think we're going to see a shift in discretionary income going away from home improvement and entertainment including NIB pins.

Sure, there were always be the group of ultra wealthy collectors that will pay whatever they ask but the operators and rest of us will just say no mas and spend our money elsewhere.

Time will tell but I think JJP & Stern are testing what they can get away with and milking Covid demand. If the market shifts like I predict, they may have to lower prices or go to a rebate structure to keep factories going at full capacity.

#1113 3 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

Of course there is, but none of us know it. Unless you work for a data collection or market research company. But like 8% of all americans are millionaires, so as pinball grows, so does this customer base.

#1114 3 years ago
    Quoted from Utesichiban:

Actually, they don't. They are testing it.

How do you know this?

#1115 3 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

How do you know this?

Do you think Stern & JJP know what they can continue to charge for these games over the next 6-24 months? They are milking heightened Covid demand right now due to everyone being at home and bored.

I think it is pretty obvious they are testing what the market will bear with these increases. I'm already seeing several distributors advertising GNR's for which they now have inventory, though. I don't think that was the case before the huge price hike.

I may be wrong but I just think the Covid induced spike in demand for home entertainment and improvement is not going to last that much longer. People are sick of being at home and want entertainment and travel away. This undoubtedly will reduce some of the big spending/demand for NIB pins as well. Time will tell.

#1116 3 years ago

If anybody is even contemplating jjp overpricing. They should have a look into the spare part situation.
    I just ordered a worg head to a hobbit game. It's an uggly one inch plastic bit, that couldnt possibly cost more then 70cent to make.

Cost?

80$ shipped.

I shit you not. Totally beyond insanely overpriced.

#1117 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-pin:

If anybody is even contemplating jjp overpricing. They should have a look into the spare part situation.
    I just ordered a worg head to a hobbit game. It's an uggly one inch plastic bit, that couldnt possibly cost more then 70cent to make.
    Cost?
    80$ shipped.
    I shit you not. Totally beyond insanely overpriced.

Yeah, I've been trying to get my distributor to get me pricing on a right ramp for my Iron Man for two weeks now. Have also been asking them to get me their pricing on a Raw Thrills Big Buck Reloaded for over 3 weeks. I guess they are too busy to be bothered getting back to me on either request despite several follow up emails.

Only in the is business can manufacturers and distributors give this poor of customer service and still sell stuff. I have to admit I'm starting to reevaluate the money I'm spending in this hobby given the greed and poor customer service I'm getting in return.

#1118 3 years ago
    Quoted from Utesichiban:

Yeah, I've been trying to get my distributor to get me pricing on a right ramp for my Iron Man for two weeks now. Have also been asking them to get me their pricing on a Raw Thrills Big Buck Reloaded for over 3 weeks. I guess they are too busy to be bothered getting back to me on either request despite several follow up emails.
    Only in the is business can manufacturers and distributors give this poor of customer service and still sell stuff. I have to admit I'm starting to reevaluate the money I'm spending in this hobby given the greed and poor customer service I'm getting in return.

That’s why I’ve shifted my focus from nib (MMRRE was my last) to used W/B pins. Solid builds, fun as hell. Repairable and mods are readily available to upgrade.

Stern has been out of my sights for years. Cheap ass overpriced junk. JJP has yet to make a pin I like ( POTC looked good but pooling pf’s? Nope.).

Toy Story? Not interested. Make a theme I want.

I’ll keep an eye on CGC and PB. They’re the only ones I’m looking at.

#1119 3 years ago
    Quoted from Utesichiban:

Trying to stay on topic, but big buck reloaded 42" mini new is around 6200 shipped, panorama (add your own monitor) is around 5800. As an authorized dealer you can pm me to discuss further.

#1120 3 years ago

API lowered its price for Hot Wheels from Octoberfest and Houdini. How come there is no discussion about that? Plenty of NIB Hot Wheels!!!

#1121 3 years ago

Hot Wheels is the best game I have bought in a long time. Highly recommend.

AP will be getting my business on their next release if it is in the same wheelhouse for value/price and play as Hot Wheels.

#1122 3 years ago

So I just sold $3000 worth of Glocks today for the final money I needed to buy my game.

Lol , only in America

#1123 3 years ago

So I just sold $3000 worth of G locks today for the final money I needed to buy my game.

If I send money, can you mail me one? lol. Our Pm is taking ours, all we have left for defense is harsh language.

I was on the fence at $9500, completely out at $10,500. Just on principal...My distributor isn't happy so I'm standing behind him. He's swearing off JJP, looks like no future purchases from here on out.

#1124 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lamberger:

all we have left is harsh language for defense.

If you say something that hurts someone’s feelings nowadays, that does as much damage as a bullet anyway. You’re still good.

1F6DDAAF-75D8-4871-B6B3-EFA923DAE944.gif1F6DDAAF-75D8-4871-B6B3-EFA923DAE944.gif
    #1125 3 years ago

I know it sucks on the pricing but just an FYI for those of us in Canada, we have to add 28% for exchange and another 13% sales tax! So, the price neds up being almost $15,000. I like the American pricing better, just wish I made USD instead of Canadian $.

#1126 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lamberger:

I was on the fence at $9500, completely out at $10,500. Just on principal...

I totally get the 1k price increase might price some people out .
    But to the people who knew about it for months and say they could still afford it , but won't buy it principal well ...
    You're missing out on one of the best games ever , and once they sell out , and they will , it will go up by much more than 1,000 bucks

#1127 3 years ago
    Quoted from screaminr:

But to the people who knew about it for months and say they could still afford it , but won't buy it principal well ...
    You're missing out on one of the best games ever , and once they sell out , and they will , it will go up by much more than 1,000 bucks

Sure...

Then there’s the next GNR AXLE edition...etc. please.

#1128 3 years ago
    Quoted from screaminr:

So demand and pricing is inelastic? Time will tell. I'm out on this one.

#1129 3 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Sure...

Ditto

#1130 3 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Sure...

Uh huh. Just like the POTC Black Pearl edition.

I really do not think JJP is doing this any more.

#1131 3 years ago

I wonder if JJP considered how fortunate they were with the licensee on GnR and increased the price by $1000 recognizing that maybe future pins won’t be as “full” and may not seem like good value at the same price?
    So increase GnR by $1000 knowing that next release lists for regular price and doesn’t seem like poor value, in comparison.

Probably more like “demand is high, let’s strike while the iron is hot!” Since they’re in business to make money, but who knows?

I was put off by the $1000 increase (over $1440 for us Canadians after exchange and taxes) and really not impressed by the thought of having to wait 5-6 months (and maybe more, who knows?) to get one, but put an order in this last week after hearing how great the game is by a friend.
    If the game is great, I expect it will hold its value or at least most of it. I’m more concerned with the resale price than I am with the initial outlay, as that determines my true cost to play.

#1132 3 years ago
    Quoted from Utesichiban:

inelastic? Time will tell. I'm out on this one.

Sorry I'm drunk and not very smart , what do you mean .

#1133 3 years ago
    Quoted from Utesichiban:

Do you think Stern & JJP know what they can continue to charge for these games over the next 6-24 months? They are milking heightened Covid demand right now due to everyone being at home and bored.
    I think it is pretty obvious they are testing what the market will bear with these increases. I'm already seeing several distributors advertising GNR's for which they now have inventory, though. I don't think that was the case before the huge price hike.
    I may be wrong but I just think the Covid induced spike in demand for home entertainment and improvement is not going to last that much longer. People are sick of being at home and want entertainment and travel away. This undoubtedly will reduce some of the big spending/demand for NIB pins as well. Time will tell.

Look, I agree with you that this is unfortunate. I was in on a Elvira until Stern raised the prices. But they are all businesses trying to survive and increase EBITDA. Can't fault them for that and if they raise prices, they must know the market is still there. For any of us to make factual statements as you did on the market, unless we have data to back it, is just disingenuous.

#1134 3 years ago

JJP saw they had a hot pin..... orders probably coming in faster than they can make it.... take price.... probably lose some orders but improve margins and let them catch up. Let’s say they were making a profit of 1000 per game on a LE... take 1000 price increase...you just doubled your profit per game to 2000. There’s a lot more to it than that... but. if that price increase drops to the bottom line great margin improvement.

Assuming volume is coming in higher than their original estimates all sorts of benefits there as well. Some materials typically get cheaper. With higher volume... leveraging all of that upfront cost to design the game.... folks on the lines building the machines will likely get more efficient and better the more they repeat.... better yields... less mistakes... less waste. Probably less inventory risk in general with a high demand well.

While I want a gnr... not at these prices for me. .... but for many, it would appear it is worth it..... or you would have seen JJP retract that price increase... (if all of the orders simply went away)

#1135 3 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Look, I agree with you that this is unfortunate. I was in on a Elvira until Stern raised the prices. But they are all businesses trying to survive and increase EBITDA. Can't fault them for that and if they raise prices, they must know the market is still there. For any of us to make factual statements as you did on the market, unless we have data to back it, is just disingenuous.

What I'm saying is they are testing how far they can go before people won't pay anymore. I think that is obvious at this point.

A $500-$1000 per game increase isn't about raising costs due to wood and parts cost increases. I would buy that if they'd taken a smaller, $100-$300 increase. This is about milking demand and searching for how high they can go before it affects sales.

I'm a capitalist and don't blame any business for trying to optimize profits. I do believe, however, that in a niched, hobby type business where the customer base tends to be smaller and sales rely on that base for reoccurring sales, you need to find a balance between profits and not alienating your customer base.

In my opinion, this overnight, huge price increase demonstrates some poor planning. If you knew you had an a great license and made a great game, set your pricing higher out of the gate... and if you're going to take a price increase under the auspice of higher material and manufacturing costs being passed on to the customer, don't raise it 1k over night. That just looks like a greedy cash grab and pisses customers off.

At least they honored original pricing for those with deposits down, though. Stern can't say that with what they did with Elvira.

#1136 3 years ago

If JJP said they had only 500 LE’s left today, those 500 would sell for $10,500 in less than a week (maybe days).

#1137 3 years ago

If JJP said they had only 50 LE’s left today, those 50 would sell for $12,500 in less than a week (maybe days). Ok who's in now because of lower production numbers and who's out because of the price. There is a line somewhere. Everyone's line is different. $10500 to some people may be like $3000 to some and like $20000 to others.
    I'm off to wax my Met and TWD.

#1138 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lamberger:

My distributor isn't happy so I'm standing behind him. He's swearing off JJP, looks like no future purchases from here on out.

Sounds like His loss to be honest? More cost equals more commission for a distributor last I checked. Good on you to not buy something because someone else isn’t happy. Makes sense.

#1139 3 years ago

With all these people "out on price" the next game should be easy to buy, right? No more CE sellouts to worry about, right?

#1140 3 years ago

Only thing I’m worried about is if JJP will ever be able to produce quickly enough.

#1141 3 years ago

If price is the factor then Hot Wheels would be sold out!!

#1142 3 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

More cost equals more commission for a distributor last I checked

Only if their margin is percentage based If they raise their cost the same absolute amount... nope

#1143 3 years ago
    Quoted from unlockpinball:

API lowered its price for Hot Wheels from Octoberfest and Houdini. How come there is no discussion about that? Plenty of NIB Hot Wheels!!!

Ok

Quoted from unlockpinball:

If price is the factor then Hot Wheels would be sold out!!

In case someone missed it the first time.

#1144 3 years ago

I have a stupid idea.......why not jack the new price to $30 000. That way they will catch up with that backlog in no time lol. And when they will not have any order left to produce....bring the price down to $8500 to milk what's left of us.

#1145 3 years ago

Most couples fight over money.
    Look what's going on here. JJP is tearing the Pinside family apart. We need counseling.

#1146 3 years ago
    Quoted from screaminr:

Sorry I'm drunk and not very smart , what do you mean .

its 7am, lol

Quoted from Yelobird:

Sounds like His loss to be honest? More cost equals more commission for a distributor last I checked. Good on you to not buy something because someone else isn’t happy. Makes sense.

If they weren't selling with the price increase, what difference does it make.

#1147 3 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:Sure...

Slash vetoed that idea already.

#1148 3 years ago

<

#1149 3 years ago
    Quoted from screaminr:

but won't buy it principal well ...

If people won’t buy one on principle at 10,500, they ain’t gonna pay more for a used one.

They just won’t buy one at all, ever.

No big deal. Live moves on. You don’t NEED to have it.

I worked out some time ago - no pinball machine/material possession is ever going to change my life for the better. It’s just “stuff”.

So I have no FOMO for anything.

And it’s awesome.

When you figure out that marketers are constantly using FOMO as their main marketing tool these days, it’s very easy to step off the hype train.

rd

#1150 3 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

If people won’t buy one on principle at 10,500, they ain’t gonna pay more for a used one.
    They just won’t buy one at all, ever.
    No big deal. Live moves on. You don’t NEED to have it.
    I worked out some time ago - no pinball machine/material possession is ever going to change my life for the better. It’s just “stuff”.
    So I have no FOMO for anything.
    And it’s awesome.
    When you figure out that marketers are constantly using FOMO as their main marketing tool these days, it’s very easy to step off the hype train.
    rd

But what if I miss something?

There are 1,507 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 31.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gnr-price-increased-by-1k/page/23?hl=wesman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.