• GNR 113 votes
    54%
  • AFM 72 votes
    35%
  • Keep both & squeeze in another pin 23 votes
    11%

(208 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSCN2830_(resized).JPG

There are 121 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 3 years ago

Ok, so if you had a GNR & AFM in your collection, which one would you sell off first if you wanted to make room for something else?

#2 3 years ago

The easy answer is keep both, but I'd let go off GNR myself

#3 3 years ago

GNR would go. It's a cool game but I would have no problem letting it go.

#4 3 years ago

I'd hurry and sell the GNR before the ramp breaks.

#5 3 years ago

I had both at the same time,love Afm
Sold Gnr real fast actually.

#6 3 years ago

The early poll results say GNR to go in a landslide but will give it a bit more time to get a better sample size.

#7 3 years ago

The poll results will get wider for GNR. AFM is a classic...there's a reason it fetches so much more money than GNR.

#8 3 years ago

I sold GnR. But if I had an AFM I would have sold it first. You can only watch that spaceship explode so many times.

#9 3 years ago

I'm not really an AFM fan, it would go first. I get bored quickly of the software design. GnR software isn't super exciting either, but rocking out, hitting the band member shot, then nailing jackpots tends to not get old to me.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I sold GnR. But if I had an AFM I would have sold it first. You can only watch that spaceship explode so many times.

This from the guy who's using Shaft as his avatar now.

#11 3 years ago

John Shaft

#12 3 years ago

I am a huge GnR fan, and I love the pin (more so when I get my Audio upgrade Pinsound board coming as soon as I have a spare $350!). But I wouldn't own it if I wasn't a big fan. It's a good game, not great without the theme.

AFM seems to be available to buy more often, but I could be way off there. GnR doesn't come up as often.

AFM is a superior game in rules (by a nod). It has some really cool things (like the billion hurry up, and the sneaky pool which I still haven't seen in person. though gnr is certainly no slouch.

Keep AFM if you aren't a GnR fan. just like, my opinion, man.

#13 3 years ago

I should have added a sub poll, which game has the better video mode; running over people or killing cows?

#14 3 years ago

Which game has the better pole.

#15 3 years ago

GNR is an fun Pin, but AFM is a classic and my guest to go it all the time. Keep AFM

#16 3 years ago

well, lets see. One has an awesome unique layout. Great rules, awesome music (with words) and all around kicks ass.

the other is an empty playfield, made from parts they found laying around the factory. Decided to release cost cutting game as a filler. and wrote the rules so a 5 year old can understand them....... Tough choices here....very tough.

#18 3 years ago

Have owned both, I own a GNR. I put the pinsound board in and it is a total game changer. Customize anything, it's a true rock concert under glass. Love GNR.

#19 3 years ago

GnR by a landslide. AFM is good but gets boring. GnR along with pinsound board is amazing plus it's more rare and is prob the coolest pin you can find. simple as that.

#20 3 years ago

seems to be a lot of noise for AFM, but the poll says otherwise. That's because the AFM lovers know it's a cheap looking econoline game, and have to speak up for it to justify it. GNR speaks for itself.

#21 3 years ago

AFM was never a game anyone cared much about until a few years back. All hype. Good basic fun, yes but that's it.

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

AFM was never a game anyone cared much about until a few years back. All hype. Good basic fun, yes but that's it.

That's complete bullshit.

It was a $3500 game when MM was a $5000 game and everything else topped out at $2500.

Afm has always been one of the top tier games in the hobby. No question. I know there are many newbies here but I can't let you get away with just making things up.

And people who are sick of Afm because they are "tired of watching the ship blow up" are doing it wrong. Afm is about moving shots around the playfield, stacking hurry ups, and nailing combos. That's why it's one of the best of all time and much more fun than MM, where you really SHOULD just shoot up the middle all the time.

#23 3 years ago

GnR is a Riot.

#24 3 years ago

when MM's were 3500, AFM's were 2900-3100 ish. That's the lowest I remember, about 10 years ago. GNR was around 1400-1500 around that time.

But DE didn't get any respect or love. Back in those days, people were sucking the B/W dick nonstop. If it didn't say bally/williams on it, people would not give it a chance. Things are finally changing.

#25 3 years ago

I played them all back in the day and spent a lot of time on AFM. But when it came time to own pins it wasn't even on my want list. However GnR was high on it because it was coolest machine I had come across in the 90s. So it was the first pinball machine I bought. And I had it for years and everybody loved it. You could always hear Nightrain in the background when people came over.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Afm has always been

Boring...

Great for the nostalgia crowd and yes that is you Levi. Otherwise dump that and rock on!

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

seems to be a lot of noise for AFM, but the poll says otherwise.

Neo, the poll is asking which one you would sell. According to the poll, the majority of people seem to be indicating that they'd sell GNR and keep AFM.

I respect everyone's opinion on GNR, and GNR is a fine game, but there's something about AFM that I love. I know I shouldn't love AFM so much because it suffers from what someone once called "B.E.P." (Big Empty Playfield), and yeah... I know Williams/Bally's goal was to produce the thing on the cheap, so there's not much to it other than a UFO mounted on a spring and 4 jiggly martians (that look like they could have came out of a department store gumball machine) mounted on coils, 3 ramps, and 2 flippers. But I find the game incredibly fun. That big empty playfield makes for some great multiball action in my opinion, and the rules are accessible and easy to understand, and any time I step up to it I feel that I have a chance to rule the universe. Of course, if you get bored by achieving the wizard mode of the pin once (in this case "Rule The Universe"), and then you find the luster has worn off the machine as you've conquered it, well then AFM is probably not for you. Luckily for me, I haven't got bored after repeated rulings of the universe, and I feel the machine continuously challenges me to beat my grand champion score, and some day I'd like to rule the universe twice in one game. Maybe after that, some of the luster will wear off the game for me, but it hasn't happened yet.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

seems to be a lot of noise for AFM, but the poll says otherwise.

A greater than 2 ratio of votes says otherwise?

#29 3 years ago

AFM has a "permanent" spot at my place.

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

Neo, the poll is asking which one you would sell. According to the poll, the majority of people seem to be indicating that they'd sell GNR and keep AFM.
I respect everyone's opinion on GNR, and GNR is a fine game, but there's something about AFM that I love. I know I shouldn't love AFM so much because it suffers from what someone once called "B.E.P." (Big Empty Playfield), and yeah... I know Williams/Bally's goal was to produce the thing on the cheap, so there's not much to it other than a UFO mounted on a spring and 4 jiggly martians (that look like they could have came out of a department store gumball machine) mounted on coils, 3 ramps, and 2 flippers. But I find the game incredibly fun. That big empty playfield makes for some great multiball action in my opinion, and the rules are accessible and easy to understand, and any time I step up to it I feel that I have a chance to rule the universe. Of course, if you get bored by achieving the wizard mode of the pin once (in this case "Rule The Universe"), and then you find the luster has worn off the machine as you've conquered it, well then AFM is probably not for you. Luckily for me, I haven't got bored after repeated rulings of the universe, and I feel the machine continuously challenges me to beat my grand champion score, and some day I'd like to rule the universe twice in one game. Maybe after that, some of the luster will wear off the game for me, but it hasn't happened yet.

whoops - I read it the opposite way. Wonder how many are doing the same. I would def sell AFM!

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

whoops - I read it the opposite way. Wonder how many are doing the same. I would def sell AFM!

If people find they misread it, can they modify their vote? The poll could be erroneous if a lot of people misread it.

#32 3 years ago

Another vote to sell the GnR

#33 3 years ago

the only thing that sucks worse than gnr the pinball is axl's voice in concert.

#34 3 years ago

GNR would stay. AFM would go.

Love the humor on afm, but less to do. Pinsound breathed new life into GNR as well. Better quality music and you can change it up if you get tired of it.

#35 3 years ago

Sell GNR. Would rather blast the music myself while playing AFM!

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

Boring...
Great for the nostalgia crowd and yes that is you Levi. Otherwise dump that and rock on!

You have no credibility.

Tell us about how nobody ever liked MM until 2 weeks ago when the hype took off.

#37 3 years ago

I see what you did there.

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

when MM's were 3500, AFM's were 2900-3100 ish. That's the lowest I remember, about 10 years ago. GNR was around 1400-1500 around that time.
But DE didn't get any respect or love. Back in those days, people were sucking the B/W dick nonstop. If it didn't say bally/williams on it, people would not give it a chance. Things are finally changing.

So you have your own unique set of numbers but long story short you agree with me - AFM has always been one of the most sought-after pinball machines, in contrast to the absolutely ridiculous assertion that "nobody cared about it back then."

I disagree with your DE assessment. It's not that nobody liked them, it's that people liked B/W much better. That hasn't changed a bit.

What happened is the B/W games skyrocketed in price, and a rising tide floated all boats. Yeah, DE stuff goes for more money than it did in 2004, but so does everything else. People still suck B/W dick nonstop because it remains much tastier dick than most of the D/E crap, which people became more willing to "give a chance" once they were priced out of B/W.

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So you have your own unique set of numbers but long story short you agree with me - AFM has always been one of the most sought-after pinball machines, in contrast to the absolutely ridiculous assertion that "nobody cared about it back then."
I disagree with your DE assessment. It's not that nobody liked them, it's that people liked B/W much better. That hasn't changed a bit.
What happened is the B/W games skyrocketed in price, and a rising tide floated all boats. Yeah, DE stuff goes for more money than it did in 2004, but so does everything else. People still suck B/W dick nonstop because it remains much tastier dick than most of the D/E crap, which people became will to "give a chance" once they were priced out of B/W.

You have such a way with words

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

People still suck B/W dick nonstop because it remains much tastier dick

Speak for yourself.

#41 3 years ago

I never understood why people do these "which one" threads when we have the top 100. It's the most objective attempt to answer a subjective question out there. AFM is #3, GNR is 39.

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

I never understood why people do these "which one" threads when we have the top 100. It's the most objective attempt to answer a subjective question out there. AFM is #3, GNR is 39.

Because looking at that stupid list is boring and pointless, and doesn't tell you why people prefer something. I guarantee you the phrase "sucking B/W Dick nonstop" occurs nowhere on that list.

#43 3 years ago

I can't wait to get my hands on a GNR if I can ever find one locally or within a couple hour drive of Minneapolis.

#44 3 years ago

I love DE games. GNR is spendier than most due to theme, widebody, ramps, art, etc.

I was never a big fan of AFM but it's rightfully a top tier game.

I'd go with GNR and the pin sound board, but that's just me.

#45 3 years ago

This thread says it all. There are those that would rather have AFM, and there are those that would rather have GnR. Some would have them both and some would have neither.

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Because looking at that stupid list is boring and pointless, and doesn't tell you why people prefer something. I guarantee you the phrase "sucking B/W Dick nonstop" occurs nowhere on that list.

op never asked why, just which one. i think a reasonable (careful) could figure out how to look at reviews.

AFM is losing because of remake fears.

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

op never asked why, just which one.

In that case, nobody should ask any question about pinball machine made before about 2010, or any tech questions.

A quick google search of rec.games.pinball should satisfy any inquires.

#48 3 years ago

GNR on average is $2k more than the nearest DE title. Strictly on theme. AFM is an A list pin period. I think most would put GNR in the B category...

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

AFM is an A list pin period.

Just because it starts with an "A"

#50 3 years ago

And CVs were 1700 before that (since we're living in the past)

Have had an afm for 10 years and won't be without. This topic reminded me, seriously, that I had a gnr in for a short time. Time to update collection history.

And yeah, DE never felt cost-cutty or cheap. The sound of relays in the 1990s but no chimes? :p

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 24.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
€ 197.00
$ 25.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 248.00
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Blacklick, OH
7,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Clara, CA
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 239.00
Machine - For Sale
Edmond, OK
$ 36.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 35.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
There are 121 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside