Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Hayfarmer
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I am seeing conflicting information on this all over the place. Do mirror blades fit is JJP GnR's or not? I am going to get an LE shortly and wanted to put a set in.

Any clarification on this would be appreciated.

On a separate note, not sure why manufacturers don't leave some tolerance to support mirror blades. I understand that they don't want to add them themselves because of cost, but leaving another 1/8" tolerance to support them seems pretty simple.

Also, somewhere I saw a pretty cool coin door mod where someone was offering to custom make a kind of box that goes into the coin door with the LE#. Can someone point me to that website or the name of the vendor?

#2 2 years ago

They work. I have them as do a lot of folks.

Edit: Highly recommend buying the side blade protectors sold by a few places.....

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from insight75:

They work. I have them as do a lot of folks.
Edit: Highly recommend buying the side blade protectors sold by a few places.....

I do own the white protectors. My biggest issue is remembering to use the darn things!

#4 2 years ago

Not to persuade you, i was conflicted on mirror blades or art blades ultimately I choose the official art blades after hearing the designer say all the posters were from the tour it really ties the pin together. If ordering mirror blades order from Tilt graphics they have zero issue on fit. Other mirror blades might not fit. Coin door mod sounds cool, hopefully someone will post a pic or link.

#6 2 years ago

My oct build, no way mirrors will fit. I put in tilt art blades and I can't put in both protectors , need to lift it up 2 or 3 inches. Crazy tight

#7 2 years ago

Well I'm a big fan of mirror blades, and unfortunately your rolling the dice on JJP games. The only game I was able to install Mirror blades was Hobbit. All the other games (including GNR) there wasn't enough clearance to make it work. The challenge for u is its not the case for everyone. Some people have had no issues installing the blades. I would wait until u get the game and see for yourself.

#8 2 years ago

September 2021 build and worked for me.

#9 2 years ago

I have an LE and mirror blades from Cointaker fit without a problem.

I highly recommend the coin door mod also... though to fully appreciate it you have to kneel down on the floor to see it straight on

#10 2 years ago

Mirror blades will fit. However, If the Playfield is not perfectly centered, you would have an issue. You may have to adjust the lockdown bar receiver slightly left or right, depending on which side the Playfield is favoring. The lockdown receiver is where the Playfield locks into. My Playfield favored the right side of the cabinet and mirror blades would not fit. I adjusted the lockdown bar a little to the left and the mirror blades fit great with room to lift the Playfield up and down. Good luck.

#11 2 years ago

Okay, based on all of your feedback I am now going to have to spend even more $ on mods! Both mirror blades and coin door box will be on my list.

Thanks!

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

Okay, based on all of your feedback I am now going to have to spend even more $ on mods! Both mirror blades and coin door box will be on my list.
Thanks!

Good luck on getting them to fit....They had zero chance on my GNR, POTC, and DI....the coin door box is awesome...I've had them on my GNR, and POTC

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Good luck on getting them to fit....They had zero chance on my GNR, POTC, and DI....the coin door box is awesome...I've had them on my GNR, and POTC

HHmmmm, I was able to get mirror blades into my WoZ, but it is clear there are different experiences out there. I do wonder if you the other thing is one might have to mess with the install of the playfield to have room on both sides as cited earlier in this thread? Or there is simply variances in the cabinet and/or playfields out there that make this a crap shoot.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

HHmmmm, I was able to get mirror blades into my WoZ, but it is clear there are different experiences out there. I do wonder if you the other thing is one might have to mess with the install of the playfield to have room on both sides as cited earlier in this thread? Or there is simply variances in the cabinet and/or playfields out there that make this a crap shoot.

I have owned all the JJP games, and the only game that blades fit was my Hobbit Smaug (I didn't try on WOZ). The other games weren't even close yet I tried everything. There was so little room on POTC, and DI that standard game blades barely fit. The fact that some have made it work leads me to believe it's a cabinet/play field tolerance issue so theres a chance it may work on your game?

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I have owned all the JJP games, and the only game that blades fit was my Hobbit Smaug (I didn't try on WOZ). The other games weren't even close yet I tried everything. There was so little room on POTC, and DI that standard game blades barely fit. The fact that some have made it work leads me to believe it's a cabinet/play field tolerance issue so theres a chance it may work on your game?

Must be differences based on all the different experiences noted. I’ve owned all of JJPs games and put mirror blades on them all. I think DI may have had the worst fit. I think for GnR I had to trim the black plastic glass channel trim in the back by like 1/8” to be able to slide them in, no big deal, look great. I get them from cointaker.

#17 2 years ago

I don't know how mirror blades would even fit in GNR as the art blades barely fit. There's so little room between the playfield and cabinet on my July 2021 LE. If you put mirror blades or art blades in you must use plastic cabinet protectors every time you raise or lower your playfield. I tore a set of GNR art blades by accidently not having the protectors in place while barely lowering the playfield. Lesson learned.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Must be differences based on all the different experiences noted. I’ve owned all of JJPs games and put mirror blades on them all. I think DI may have had the worst fit. I think for GnR I had to trim the black plastic glass channel trim in the back by like 1/8” to be able to slide them in, no big deal, look great. I get them from cointaker.

Nice that yours worked, but my games weren't even close. So much so the art blades barely fit. I could barely keep the plastic blade protectors in place when I raising and lowering the play field.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Nice that yours worked, but my games weren't even close. So much so the art blades barely fit. I could barely keep the plastic blade protectors in place when I raising and lowering the play field.

Exact same on my gnr. Have to raise the field about 3 " to get second protector in.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

8,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Glendora, CA
$ 109.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

8,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Old Saybrook, CT
$ 649.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 210.00
$ 11,000.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 40.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gnr-mirror-blades-will-they-work-or-not-unrelated-coin-door-mod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.