Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Vespula
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“GNR LE vs. POTC LE”

• GNR LE 38 votes
      40%
    • POTC LE 58 votes
      60%

(96 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ccd5165a218c02cfbaacd5adfb68190f (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

Assuming cost is no option, which is the better way to go and which is more fun to play. Love the light show of GNR but not a huge fan of the theme for family reasons. Love the music but am more interested in the pinball game play overall. In my brief experience, GNR was a bit more fun to play, but that was before I truly understood the depths of the shots for POTC. Does GNR have the same level of shot options and longevity of play?

I need to decide this week. All comments are welcomed!!

#3 2 years ago

This should be interesting

#4 2 years ago

I'd say pirates hands down. Of course I enjoy that theme way way more.

#5 2 years ago

Potc for me. Don’t care for GnR at all.

#7 2 years ago

I have only a handful of games on each in bar atmospheres. I thought gnr was incredible... easily the better pin. And i typically hate music pins. I ordered an LE.

#8 2 years ago

They are both phenomenal , but I'll give the edge to Pirates.

#9 2 years ago

G n r by a nautical mile

#10 2 years ago

GNR in a bar setting but in the home environment POTC is way better!

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from rgzpinx:

GNR in a bar setting but in the home environment POTC is way better!

Why is POTC better for the home environment?

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from Trojanlaw:

Why is POTC better for the home environment?

Personal preference

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Personal preference

I’ve only played POTC at a pinball museum for few hours and only watched streams for GnR.
    Many people says GnR is multiball heavy...
    Watching the streams seems you are one shot away to start multiball when you first start a game and it’s not hard to keep it going.

The modes seems fun from the streams. POTC has the complex’s character selection to start off followed by countless shots to go for.

From the few hours I’ve played on site, I’d want POTC for home just to wrap my head around the rules.

Whatever you choose it will be a fun choice.

Without playing GnR, I see fewer variety of shots compared to POTC. It’s major eye candy with the light show....

How long will the light show impress? I hope to get a chance to play GnR soon.

#14 2 years ago

being able to nudge both outlanes on Pirates, and just how big of a factor completing the rollovers are to scoring makes Pirates just non-stop fun.

#15 2 years ago

I own both and prefer the game play of Pirates more.
    I like the theme more too.

But, G&R really draws you into the concert feel for sure.
    Light show is insane.

I will go play some more right now and see how I feel

#16 2 years ago

Both are great games, but if I had to choose only one...it's hard to top JJP POTC. It's a pirate's life for me.

#17 2 years ago

I have a Pirates LE, and a Guns CE. I would say Guns. It’s gameplay is better, and I enjoy the rule set more with the risk/reward.

#18 2 years ago

I owned POTC for a year and it is a very fun game. However, it lacks soul in my opinion due to a lack of licensed assets, and only ever hearing one voice in the game. The custom Mr. Gibbs callouts are awesome but I found them to become repetitive after a while and hold the game back as the Pirates films contain many characters.

The lack of licensed assets also deeply hurts the games modes in Pirates as they all pretty much play the same. Chapter modes are based on scenes from the movies but you wouldn't know it as there's a lack of choreography (clips, music, animations, etc) timed to shots. Same goes for multiballs. Pirates is still a lot of fun to play as it stands but it lacks the level of theme integration and mode choreography that games like LOTR, Hobbit, Star Wars, etc have. If Pirates had the level of licensed assets that LOTR and Hobbit contain it likely would have gone down as the best pin of all time.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

...it's hard to top JJP POTC. It's a pirate's life for me.

Arrr!

#20 2 years ago

Yo ho yo ho a pirates life for me!

#21 2 years ago

POTC.

Unfortunately, there are a few levels to this question. Price is ALWAYS a factor. POTC goes for nearly double what a GNR commands. GNR, however, has incomplete code, and we can't really fully assess it yet. Depth of play easily goes to POTC. GNR is definitely less family friendly. Both have top notch lightshows...GNR is pretty widely regarded as one of the best of all-time, however.

If I were contemplating buying one or the other, I would wait and see what code comes out for GNR. If you can't wait...buy POTC at a good price (if that's even possible), and hold off on GNR until updates roll in and you can get some flip time on it.

These are 'first-world' problems of the highest degree. I love pinside.

#22 2 years ago

I have a POTC CE and I’ve played GNR Standard edition last week. I have to say if you like music then the GNR is really an awsome game but the music theme is something that has to be your thing . While the POTC is a machine for everyone and also is a machine that has so much to look for that after playing it for hours it still shows me stuff I’ve never seen before ... so POTC for me ... savvy?!

#23 2 years ago

...Pirates! GNR gets the edge in artwork, theme integration and lightshow. Everything else goes to POTC.

ccd5165a218c02cfbaacd5adfb68190f (resized).jpgccd5165a218c02cfbaacd5adfb68190f (resized).jpg
    #24 2 years ago

After MANY games on both machines, I have found GNR just more fun, exciting and varied. It also has a lot of depth and challenges not obvious at first. POTC is a GREAT game, it’s just not as exciting and it is too expensive. Based on price and experience, I bought a GNR LE. Thanks for the input everyone.

#25 2 years ago

I owned both. I just sold my GnR LE last weekend after having it since October. It's a great game, but if money was no object, it's not even close. If money is an object, I'd rather spend $16k on the POTC over the GnR. If it cost $19k, well I'd rather have a $10.5k GnR.

3 months later
    #26 2 years ago
    Quoted from Trojanlaw:

After MANY games on both machines, I have found GNR just more fun, exciting and varied. It also has a lot of depth and challenges not obvious at first. POTC is a GREAT game, it’s just not as exciting and it is too expensive. Based on price and experience, I bought a GNR LE. Thanks for the input everyone.

Checking in on your status after 3 months..
    Two questions..

Still pleased with GnR choice months later?
    How did you end up with the CE? Post says you got LE

#27 2 years ago

Got tired of waiting and realized there were things I really wanted on the CE so I stepped up and paid a premium to get the CE. NO REGRETS. Most fun I have ever had playing pinball. Code is deep and machine entertains for all regardless of skill level. Shoots great and is high energy at all times. No playfield issues and installed PETG washers just in case. Love POTC but This game is much more fun for me.

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from Trojanlaw:

Got tired of waiting and realized there were things I really wanted on the CE so I stepped up and paid a premium to get the CE. NO REGRETS. Most fun I have ever had playing pinball. Code is deep and machine entertains for all regardless of skill level. Shoots great and is high energy at all times. No playfield issues and installed PETG washers just in case. Love POTC but This game is much more fun for me.

Congrats on the new game! GNR is definitely the ultimate music pin.

#29 2 years ago

Have both. POTC easily wins on playfield design, flow, “toys” that interact with the ball, and code depth/strategy. But GNR is the far more exciting game - lights, sounds, visuals… Disney World vs. a concert - Eric/JJP did an amazing job on both creating the intended world-under-glass. So take your pick. I’d probably keep POTC since it will have a lasting place in pinball history IMO (modern TZ).

#31 2 years ago

Love them both, but POTC is the greatest game ever made.

#32 2 years ago

GnR has some really nice qualities, but POTC is THE PIN.

#33 2 years ago

Both seem to have very loyal fan bases. And opinions on both seem extreme with the potc camp claiming the goat, and toys, rules, targets, etc with equal comments toward the other side of the spectrum with comments of meh, it's boring. With prices through the roof they clearly command a premium.

With GnR, same statement of being the goat, with opposing comments on too many multi balls and just flailing around with it's success being carried by the integration, licensing and light show. For some the fact it's a music pin is a negative and possible aversion to GnR music adds another nail in the coffin. The energy and uniqueness of this pin while playing it is ground breaking and Uber fun for all levels.

CLEARLY they both are on the same level of Team GOAT.
    Ive enjoyed reading all the spirited and respectful posts here. Is it safe to admit that...
    I've never even played potc!

Im going to have to go on location and spend some time on potc just to try and appreciate what the fuss is about .... while I wait for my GnR LE to ship this fall.

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from Vespula:

CLEARLY they both are on the same level of Team GOAT.
    Ive enjoyed reading all the spirited and respectful posts here. Is it safe to admit that...
    I've never even played potc!

Im going to have to go on location and spend some time on potc just to try and appreciate what the fuss is about .... while I wait for my GnR LE to ship this fall.

As amazing as Pirates is, it's not the best location game. If you can't hear it, that's going to take away from the theater of it all and you miss all of the important audio queues. It has a steep learning curve and the game really doesn't communicate what to do very clearly. It's absolutely worth figuring it out, though.

#35 2 years ago
    Quoted from Betelgeuse:

As amazing as Pirates is, it's not the best location game. If you can't hear it, that's going to take away from the theater of it all and you miss all of the important audio queues. It has a steep learning curve and the game really doesn't communicate what to do very clearly. It's absolutely worth figuring it out, though.

That's a great point.

It's extremely noisy on location. I just recently figured out how to hook up my Bluetooh noise canceling headphones up to guns and roses and let me tell you that was immersive and way awesome. It took the game to a whole new level.

GnR is a game I can enjoy the minute I press start for rocking out fun or seriously play the rule sets and work on learning into playing deep when I'm in the different moods.

If potc isn't like this then I'd consider that a weakness but that's the game, like it or not ...

Since potc doesnt have Bluetooth, I'll bring a pair of wired over ear headphones that I have... Best I can do.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gnr-le-vs-potc-le and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.