• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20201114_212240 (resized).jpg
gnr (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

I went to play my GNR and there were no feature lamps. I reset the game- no change, checked all of the fuses with my DMM- they all tested good, went into the test menu, activated the feature lamps but they didn't come on. I searched over on Pinwiki but didn't see any diagnosis steps for this problem with Data East.

Does anyone know what I need to look at to figure out what's up?

Thanks in advance for any help and input!

#2 3 years ago

On the back wall of the back box do you have two bridge rectifiers and two fuses ? If so one is for controlled lamps. Check fuse and it's bridge rectifier.

LTG :

#3 3 years ago

From the IPDB circled in red.

LTG : )

gnr (resized).jpggnr (resized).jpg
#4 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

On the back wall of the back box do you have two bridge rectifiers and two fuses ? If so one is for controlled lamps. Check fuse and it's bridge rectifier.
LTG :

Yes, I do have both of those bridge rectifiers. I checked both fuses and they were good. I'll have to look up the procedure to check the bridge rectifier.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

I checked both fuses and they were good.

Just to be sure. Pull and check with a meter ?

If so, and they are good. Maybe an open spot on the bridge rectifier. Since you have two right there. Use a meter and compare readings on both.

#6 3 years ago

The lugs are pointed out. So easy to check AC in on two lugs, and DC out on two lugs. With the game turned on.

1 week later
#7 3 years ago

Finally had time to get back to trying to fix the feature lamp issue.

I checked and compared the two bridges using a bridge test method I found on pinwiki. I was getting different readings between the two bridges. The bottom right leg of the bridge on the left wasn't giving me any reading when I did the bridge test. I swapped the bridge with a new one I had, fired the game up but still no feature lamps. I went back and did the bridge test again. On the new bridge, I still wasn't getting a reading when I put the black DMM lead on the "oddball" lead and the red lead on the bottom right leg. I unsoldered the bottom right wire and the replacement bridge gave a reading. I went back and checked the original bridge I pulled out of the game and it gave a reading with everything disconnected and out of the game.

Any ideas or what I should look at next?

20201114_212240 (resized).jpg20201114_212240 (resized).jpg
#8 3 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

Any ideas or what I should look at next?

Be sure you replaced the correct bridge rectifier. One is for coils and one for feature lamps.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Be sure you replaced the correct bridge rectifier. One is for coils and one for feature lamps.

I'm not sure which one is which but I replaced the left one because one of the legs didn't give a reading; which later I found out it gave a reading after being disconnected. I can replace the other one to see what happens.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I replaced the other bridge as well and still no feature lamps.

I went back, looked at the bridge testing procedure and I was doing it incorrectly. I tested the old and new bridges- all tested the same. I did take AC and DC readings on the bridges that were installed in the game and got different readings. The bridge on the right measured 18.6AC and 20.1DC while the bridge on the left only measured 7.9AC and 8.8DC I'm guessing the problem is before the regulators and is whatever supplies the left regulator it's power?

I appreciate all of the help and guidance you have provided!

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

I'm guessing the problem is before the regulators and is whatever supplies the left regulator it's power?

Sure sounds like it.

I'd grab a manual and check power source and see what voltage is leaving it. To try and figure where it's dropping.

1 week later
#12 3 years ago

Finally had more time to work on the game. I wanted to close out the thread with the problem I found in case anyone else runs into the same problem.

It turns out that fuse F4 on the PSB was loose in the clips and not making a good connection.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

7,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, MA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chelsea, MI
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 549.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gnr-data-east-no-control-lamps and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.