(Topic ID: 85614)

GnR Axl Hole, Almost Guarenteed Center Drain?

By nath2099

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by CraigC
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20140329_161136.jpg
20140329_161045.jpg
20140329_161104.jpg
#1 10 years ago

8/10 go straight down the middle, normal?

#2 10 years ago

*guaranteed

#3 10 years ago

Not normal for any scoop to do this, pull the assembly out and check for broken weld joints on the scoop itself or something loose.

#4 10 years ago

Also check where the ball contacts on the way out of the scoop. The bottome edge of the top piece. Sometimes this can divet deep enough to change ball travel. Sometimes they can be realigned sometimes you need a new scoop.

#5 10 years ago

So your balls drain in Axl's hole?

#6 10 years ago

Those kick out weldments get divots in them and usually need to be replaced. The kickout should hit the left flipper 100% of the time. It should never, ever shoot down the middle or hit the left slingshot. Mantis amusements sells nice weldments for replacement scoops for almost all games.

#7 10 years ago

I have never seen this happen on this game so not normal but apparently a common problem easily fixed.

#8 10 years ago

Usually when this kind of thing happens to me it's due to the playfield not being level side-to-side.

#9 10 years ago

Centerflank, you're a bit of a sicko lol. Cheers everyone else, I'll check the horizontal slope.

Cheers!

#10 10 years ago

Thus is not an issue of leveling. The ball should shoot out of the scoop very fast and slam into the left flipper. It does not barely roll out and require a level playfield to react. It should flipper bounce nicely to uh right flipper if you don't flip.

#11 10 years ago

put in a new scoop as the GnR scoop sucks. I replaced mine with the one from Ripleys. Plays better, more sturdy, and does not bend up the AXL plastic.

-c

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from CraigC:

put in a new scoop as the GnR scoop sucks. I replaced mine with the one from Ripleys. Plays better, more sturdy, and does not bend up the AXL plastic.
-c

Is the RBION scoop lower-profile? Do you have a pic of yours installed, and/or a profile pic of the RBION scoop vs. the GNR original?

From the day I first tore down my GNR for a cleaning after I bought it, I've hated the way that plastic stack and scoop are just mushed together.

#13 10 years ago

How can one scoop play better than another scoop? On my game, the ball shoots to the left flipper for a pretty simple drop catch.

Quoted from CraigC:

-c

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

How can one scoop play better than another scoop? On my game, the ball shoots to the left flipper for a pretty simple drop catch.

It has a greater turn radius so the ball puts less force into making the turn which deforms the scoop and bends the plastics up. also the top of the scoop is connected to the body by metal which keeps it from deforming.

The good thing about the RBION scoop is that the coil and the weldment are all in the same assembly which prevents alignment problems, which i'm thinking is what the complaint here is.

-c

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

Is the RBION scoop lower-profile? Do you have a pic of yours installed, and/or a profile pic of the RBION scoop vs. the GNR original?
From the day I first tore down my GNR for a cleaning after I bought it, I've hated the way that plastic stack and scoop are just mushed together.

Originally both scoops would have the same profile, but over time the original GnR scoop gets deformed. The RBION scoop fits under the plastics perfectly without pushing them up, just as the original GnR scoop did when it was new. I'll take a pick of what i did tonight.

-c

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from CraigC:

Originally both scoops would have the same profile, but over time the original GnR scoop gets deformed. The RBION scoop fits under the plastics perfectly without pushing them up, just as the original GnR scoop did when it was new. I'll take a pick of what i did tonight.
-c

Super-interesting. Thanks! Look forward to pics.

#17 10 years ago

20140329_161136.jpg20140329_161136.jpg20140329_161045.jpg20140329_161045.jpg20140329_161104.jpg20140329_161104.jpg

Sorry this took a while

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 18.95
8,000 (OBO)
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 549.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gnr-axl-hole-almost-guarenteed-center-drain and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.