(Topic ID: 222096)

Gluing inserts...........what glue?

By mrbanjo

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sniffing-glue-o.gif
    #1 5 years ago

Wood glue = OK?

#3 5 years ago

I use wood glue. I've used it several times with no issues.

#4 5 years ago

What about lifting inserts in a Fire. I just want to loosen them up and re-glue, do you have to remove completely?

#5 5 years ago

Ask Kruzman.

#6 5 years ago

I know it's not officially sanctioned by Vid, but I've used straight wood glue on the inserts of my EMs. It's forgiving, wipes clean, and gives you enough time to make repositions if you screw something up. I haven't run into any issues with it yet.

2 weeks later
    #7 5 years ago

I use Gorilla gell glue with great success .

#8 5 years ago

Epoxy scares people,but it shouldn't. Only glue I would use for inserts,especially if I'm going to clear coat with 2-pak.

#9 5 years ago

Agree. It’s a plastic and wood joint- presumably your looking for a long term stable solution. Use what the pros rely on.

#10 5 years ago

I've had no problems with wood glue, and it is more forgiving than Epoxy if you make a mistake.

Worst thing I ever did was use a type of Gorilla Glue that I didn't realize expanded as it dried, what a horrible mess!!

#11 5 years ago

I use wood glue, easy to use, dries slowly, positioning insert is easy, then clean up excess glue. No issues at all. If you clearcoat then that will hold your insert in as well, most likely forever.

Just my 2 cents

#12 5 years ago

PVA - Poly Vinyl Acetate i.e. Wood Glue

#13 5 years ago

Do you have any intention of clear coating the playfield? If so do not use wood glue.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

I use wood glue, etc.... No issues at all. If you clearcoat then that will hold your insert in as well, most likely forever.

Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

Do you have any intention of clear coating the playfield? If so do not use wood glue.

I'm not confused now

#15 5 years ago

Yeah, sadly these types of questions receive all possible answers because there are a bunch of people who have done this once, a good number have done t twice, a few less three to five times and then the very few who do this multiple times a month and have been doing so for years and have to deal with customers shit when their restored playfields have inserts cracking the clear or whatever. All you can do is figure out who you want to take the advice from and seek that out.

There is a thread on playfield restoration by Vid with thousands of posts that has additional insght, maybe read theads by HEP, or other restorers to figure it out. Certainly they could use different glues, and I would rely on any they recommend. I doubt there is a single correct answer and I suspect there are multiple slightly wrong answers that appear to succeed at first but will fail over the long run. That’s how the games were manufactured back in the day and that’s why so many inserts are needing to be fixed so I suppose anything will work for a couple years.... I prefer modern solutions and so use high quality epoxy that bonds plastic and never yellows. I think I started doing this after reading advice from someone with far more experience than I.

One thing for sure- use some glue.

#16 5 years ago

E6000 is what Williams used

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinZig:

I'm not confused now

Wood glue does just that, glues wood. To glue a plastic insert to a wood substrate an epoxy should be utilized. Lightly scuffing and or using a plastic prep pen on the side of the insert will help increase the chances of a proper bond.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

Wood glue does just that, glues wood. To glue a plastic insert to a wood substrate an epoxy should be utilized. Lightly scuffing and or using a plastic prep pen on the side of the insert will help increase the chances of a proper bond.

Ummm. Whats E6000 Wayne?

#21 5 years ago

I use weldbond also for mostly em pinball inserts. For new inserts epoxy for new playfields I sand down. I do not sand the edges of new inserts, & likely no other manufacturer does it. Just adds to costs, & is not needed.

#22 5 years ago

West Systems 105 + 206.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from phergott:

I use wood glue.

Quoted from mbaumle:

I've used straight wood glue on the inserts of my EMs.

Quoted from dgpinball:

I've had no problems with wood glue, and it is more forgiving than Epoxy if you make a mistake.

Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

I use wood glue, easy to use, dries slowly, positioning insert is easy, then clean up excess glue. No issues at all.

These guys seem to know whats up! I've done hundreds this way.

No crazy or Gorilla glue for sure. Especially if you make a mistake or ever desire to remove them again. Not to mention what happens when it gets on the playfield

#25 5 years ago

sniffing-glue-o.gifsniffing-glue-o.gif

#26 5 years ago

We bought a little compressor and glue gun with a foot peddle to apply evenly when we made some mm playfields

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gluing-insertswhat-glue?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.