(Topic ID: 296217)

Glue removal from a system 11 mylar

By Doctor6

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

32A7CA25-DF26-4706-807E-55881E0B20CD (resized).jpeg
    #1 2 years ago

So I've removed my share of mylar in my day. I've done the old freeze spray and pull, and that worked well.

But something about this ancient glue I can NOT get off. I don't know if they did things differently with system 11 or what, but goo gone is doing seemingly very little. I've done this on newer games with perfect success before.... but on this, I apply goo gone on, I rub it in, and SOME comes off, but today I touch the playfield and it is still tacky as if I didn't do a damn thing.

Anyone have methods that works for them?

#2 2 years ago

Removing mylar on system 11 is always a risk. Hopefully all the artwork was left on the playfield after removing the mylar; that is the first hurdle to pass. I've always used naptha and when that doesn't work, I move to 92% iso alcohol and Mr Clean Magic Eraser cut into 4 or 5 smaller strips to help work on a small area at a time. Once you move into these more drastic measures, you really need to test on a hidden area first because the artwork can loosen. Usually with ME, its just a matter of getting the glue loose and mostly off and know when to stop BEFORE getting down through the minimal clear and into the artwork. At that point it will dry and leave a white film that can be taken up with Novus 2 and some elbow grease to reveal a nice shiny surface below. Hopefully there will still be a bit of the original clear coat on the playfield, but keep in mind that the playfield could use a protector, new mylar, clear coat or at least frequent hard waxing to protect it in the future.

One thing for sure is don't use denatured alcohol. I tried that once and lost a whole area of artwork on a High Speed

#3 2 years ago

Just replaced Mylar on my Rollergames, learned about RapidTac in Vid’s guide, it is a lifesaver! Spray it on, wait 30sec, scrape with plastic razor blade. This saved me hours!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PVYJ8LR

Go check out Vid’s awesome guide: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration

Here’s a photo where you can see the nasty old Mylar in the upper playfield and the freshly cleaned lower playfield: freeze spray, RapidTac, Naptha… done.

32A7CA25-DF26-4706-807E-55881E0B20CD (resized).jpeg32A7CA25-DF26-4706-807E-55881E0B20CD (resized).jpeg
    #4 2 years ago

Just ordered some of the Rapid Tac. I have some mylar to remove from a Black Hole and don't want to risk the artwork or work to hard!

#5 2 years ago

Yep. No artwork came up on the playfield (thank GOD), but some came off of the inserts. Not happy, but inserts I can live with. I plan to replace them. It is for a cyclone... need to know what kind if insert decals to use next.

I used 70% alcohol that did nothing. 92%, eh? I'll try that. Do I let it just sit for a while? I'm surprised alcohol works where go goon does not?

#6 2 years ago

Arent some different system 11 titles more difficult to remove mylar than some others?

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Yep. No artwork came up on the playfield (thank GOD), but some came off of the inserts. Not happy, but inserts I can live with. I plan to replace them. It is for a cyclone... need to know what kind if insert decals to use next.
    I used 70% alcohol that did nothing. 92%, eh? I'll try that. Do I let it just sit for a while? I'm surprised alcohol works where go goon does not?

The clear coat on your playfield is likely alcohol soluble, so you want to avoid any alcohol. I learned a ton reading Vid’s guide, it really is the “ultimate,” like the title says.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

I would try the stuff recommended by Vid. He has a lot of experience and knowledge.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

I would try the stuff recommended by Vid. He has a lot of experience and knowledge.

I'm sorry... vid? Can you direct me?

Edit: nevermind. I found it. And vid says alcohol works in system 9 and 11. So that's what I will do!!

#10 2 years ago

Put some paper towel on the PF that's wet with alcohol. Wait a couple minutes then ball up the flue with your fingers. Repeat 100s of times and hope not all the PF art comes up.

Get your paints ready

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

I'm sorry... vid? Can you direct me?
    Edit: nevermind. I found it. And vid says alcohol works in system 9 and 11. So that's what I will do!!

Keep in mind, Vid is using alcohol to remove the clear coat from a playfield with an alcohol soluble clear (like your system 11) in preparation for re-clear coating the bare paint. If you’re not planning to re-coat, you likely want to keep your existing clear coat.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/19#post-1762296

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/glue-removal-from-a-system-11-mylar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.