(Topic ID: 82510)

Gloves while playing Pinball? Who here does it?

By Jared

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 51 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by stooped
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

rocky-gloves.jpg
    BigBlonde2.jpeg
    image-280.jpg
    image-792.jpg
    image-55.jpg
    image-274.jpg
    image-861.jpg
    image-624.jpg
    image-449.jpg
    image-455.jpg
    image.jpg
    dudes_dont_wear_outfits.jpg
    OJ.jpg
    image.jpg
    zelda glove.png
    image-775.jpg
    There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

So today I went to a charity pinball tournament. Basically, I played non stop for about 3 hours on cement floors. After a while, I began to get this odd "hand fatigue" which I was not sure if it was from my hands supporting my body weight as I lean, or them just being crumpled around a machine for so many hours.

As I played longer and longer, the palms of my hands began to feel worn out... somehow. I had this thought that "if only I were wearing padded gloves" I would feel better. And then I thought "Who in the heck would wear gloves to play pinball?".

I asked some of the more experienced players around, and they quickly named off some top level IFPA players who in fact: use gloves. So that got me thinking...

Is it common to wear gloves while playing pinball? Does anyone here do it? What advice or stories related to glove pinball playing can you share with us?

Sorry in advance for the silly (but honest) topic. lol

#2 10 years ago

I've seen at least 4 players at PAPA/Pinburgh who wear gloves. Some have the fingers cut out, or buy special gloves without fingers. Not sure what sport they are actually made for. I say more power to them if it helps their game. But I must admit, it looks a bit silly to me.

#3 10 years ago

I've never worn gloves for pinball.

As a consolation, here's a picture of Michael Jackson getting ready to play Black Knight 2000.

Michael-Jackson-Glove[1].jpgMichael-Jackson-Glove[1].jpg

#4 10 years ago

Grannys birthday.jpgGrannys birthday.jpg

#5 10 years ago

If you do wear gloves.....please do not admit it. That just screams "I have absolutely no testicles whatsoever". I apologize to the ladies, obviously this does not apply to you.

#6 10 years ago

I have seen an increase in the number of people wearing gloves. Both the full and fingerless, not for me personally but I guess it helps with hygiene .

#7 10 years ago

Some wear gloves so they don't have to worry about the sweaty hands of the other players.
    So what you want to use if you would choose to wear them are the gloves that provide some grip. The thinner style of garage gloves (worn by car mechanics) are the ones you want.

#8 10 years ago

With all the fingerprints on my tron le I'm going to start wearing white gloves.

#9 10 years ago

Depends maybe... gloves NO!

#10 10 years ago

I wear bike gloves if I play more than a few hours.

#11 10 years ago

See... im not crazy... people actually do this.

Fascinating!

#12 10 years ago

Epic topic!

Well, someone had to go there

rd.

#13 10 years ago

Based on some of those shows I have been to, I have been thinking about carrying a pack of disposable gloves with me. If guys aren't able to shower, I can only imagine what else they are doing with their hands...

#14 10 years ago

I prefer mittens.

#15 10 years ago

Bill Callaghan out of Belmar would wear rubber gloves with the tips of the fingers cut off when he was dominating Flash, Gorgar and Black Knight back in 1980. I never understood the benefit, but he was the best player I've ever seen.

#16 10 years ago

LMAO...so true..!

#17 10 years ago

I wear a big one on my head so I can channel foghorn leghorn

#18 10 years ago

Epic gloves, now it's a party!

#19 10 years ago

For 80s era pins only

image-775.jpgimage-775.jpg

#20 10 years ago

I know some tournament players that wear gloves. I had contemplated it myself after coming home from a multiple day event and my hands were red and sore from slap-saving so much.

#21 10 years ago

I wear fingerless gloves and it I feel gives me an advantage! Keeps my palms from getting all sweaty and slipping. Also gives me a better grip on the machine also just is what I feel comfortable with kinda my security blanket. I play better with them on than off so yeah haha! Personal preference is all I guess

#22 10 years ago

Basically I'd say,
    At home - Hell no!
    Hangin out at the local arcade/pub with buddies - Hell no!
    Playing in a tournament - I'd say if you're playing for 2-3 days, they might help the fatigue
    on your hands. "Jack hammer" gloves that have thick padded palms would probably
    work good.
    But I'd still wait until I started to "feel the burn".

#23 10 years ago

I have to share mine! I'm such a nerd haha

zelda glove.pngzelda glove.png
    #24 10 years ago
    Quoted from beefzap:

I cant stop laughing!!! CMON! Thats funny!

#25 10 years ago

I wear these (great for snacking in between games):

image.jpgimage.jpg

#26 10 years ago

Don't forget the classy wipe the buttons and lock down with the shirt you are wearing move.

#27 10 years ago

Gloves are for sissies... Man up!

#28 10 years ago

I was joking,..but not really. I could be wearing boxing gloves and my pinball skills would remain the same.

#29 10 years ago

* yells upstairs*...... "I'm practicing, Mom !!"

#30 10 years ago

How about The Ove Glove so when your on fire playing pins you dont burn yourself lol!!!!

Joe(acejedi)

#31 10 years ago

I wore glove at the Ohio show yesterday. Didn't even compete.

True story.

#32 10 years ago

But the gloves don't fit

OJ.jpgOJ.jpg
    #33 10 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Epic topic!
    Well, someone had to go there
    rd.

So, Rotordave, you're a throw caution to the wind guy and play pinball without gloves? Amazing! Lol.

Yeah, I don't know what I is, but I just like to feel the cabinet and buttons when I play pinball.

Cheers!
    Adam.

#34 10 years ago

gloves no. wrist supports yes.

#35 10 years ago

where is thelaw?

#36 10 years ago

I never thought I would get this many responses. lol

#37 10 years ago

I dont but played a few games on cactus jacks with a doctor who did because he didnt like germs

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from beefzap:

I say, I say, now son!

#39 10 years ago

Only when they match my outfit.

dudes_dont_wear_outfits.jpgdudes_dont_wear_outfits.jpg
    #40 10 years ago
    Quoted from Blackjacker:

dudes_dont_wear_outfits.jpg 52 KB

Boy...that's gonna change the vote!!

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from Blackjacker:

Yeah, if I wore that outfit to a tournament, I'm pretty sure gloves would be the last thing people talked about...

Luke

#42 10 years ago
    Quoted from Blackjacker:

dudes_dont_wear_outfits.jpg 52 KB

I wonder how the girl in the photograph looks today, considering that she is at least 38 years older than she was when it was taken?

#43 10 years ago

There were a couple people at the Ohio show wearing gloves. They were pretty much the butt of everyone's jokes.

At least the real pinball geek's finally had someone to make fun off

#44 10 years ago

To each his own, but I won't be wearing gloves to play pinball....

#45 10 years ago

Anytime I see someone wearing gloves while playing pinball they're a creepy hipster.

Who am I kidding? All hipsters are creepy... Shit beer drinking, large eyeglasses, skinny jeans wearin, Napoleon Dynamite look'n M'r F'rs

So no, I don't wear gloves

#46 10 years ago

My wife would say I'd look silly wearing gloves playing naked.

#47 10 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I wonder how the girl in the photograph looks today, considering that she is at least 38 years older than she was when it was taken?

Probably something like this......

BigBlonde2.jpegBigBlonde2.jpeg
    #48 10 years ago

how i prepare for each pinball session. but first, it's just a jump to the left...

rocky-gloves.jpgrocky-gloves.jpg

#49 10 years ago

Quoted from Monster_Bash:There were a couple people at the Ohio show wearing gloves. They were pretty much :Dthe butt of everyone's jokes.
    At least the real pinball geek's finally had someone to make fun off

Hmm. Didn't know I was the big joke bud.

#50 10 years ago
    Quoted from RonB:

Probably something like this......

BigBlonde2.jpeg 7 KB

At least she got a nice house out of the deal.

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gloves-while-playing-pinball-who-here-does-it?hl=bluebomber and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.