(Topic ID: 177409)

Gloss or Matte Finish on an EM Playfield?

By beelzeboob

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Gloss or matte finish on EM playfields?”

• Gloss 18 votes
    55%
  • Matte 15 votes
    45%

(33 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0879 (resized).JPG
20170128_113847 (resized).jpg
20170128_113833 (resized).jpg
20170115_160733 (resized).jpg
20170115_160845 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emsinkc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#28 7 years ago

They did my Top Card and it came out beautiful. The only issue I had with them was clear in the grooves of the star rollovers. I've been told they solved that issue. It caused me a ton of problems getting the stars to work properly.

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

i had the same issue with my HtD when i clear a pf i always put the star in upside down when i sprayed the clear and pulled them out while it was wet. i never had 1 issue with the stars. they sprayed over the star inserts and clogged it with clear. i had to file the clear out and had a hell of a time to get the stars to work perfect.
glad to hear they are doing it different now. otherwise they do good work. not a big fan of the faux wood but it is done well.

I had huge issues. A couple of them broke on the underside (the part that holds the star in) and I had to improvise a bunch. On another the clear cracked. It was a huge pain. I complained to them about it. They told me to file it out. Way easier said than done. I talked to Brian again after I finally got them working and he told me then they had changed their method.

He said they did the same thing you did, but I guess the clear was heavy enough and wet enough that it drooled down in the grooves and it was a mess.

Other than that one issue, the work is just fantastic.

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Oooooo it cracked?!? *gasp* how awful. How long ago did this happen? I'd never heard of an HSA playfield doing this before... glad the recipe was tweaked!

A year or two ago. Filing the grooves in the star rollover insert, which they told me to do, caused the clear on the insert to crack and lift in one place. I touched it up and it's not really noticeable. It was just on the insert, not the entire playfield or anything like that, and it did not spread.

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

the insert has a flex to it, so that is why it cracked. i did chip a tiny piece on a star arm but was able to file down.
i know i spent a few days working on those inserts. it took long than repopulating the pf to and bottom side.
kind of wish they could of cleared the pf with the star inserts out and when done tap in the inserts flush. but i guess you would deal with the insert not being level due to the thickness of the clear.

That's pretty much what they told me, that and the issue of clear getting down into the opening.

Once I got the star rollovers working, the playfield swap was pretty straightforward. I've got another playfield that someday I might have them do, but like you stated, it doesn't have star rollovers on it. He said they fixed the issue but until someone else has a game with one and verifies it, it's hard to pay that much money to have this issue again.

Top Card has five of them so it was a lot of work. It took a lot to get them where they would move freely in the grooves. The clear was down inside the insert, even on the little tabs that hold the star in place. Those tabs broke off a couple of times and I had to improvise a way to keep the stars in place.

#44 7 years ago

Part of my fix on this was to change out the switches under the star rollover.

The ball rolls over the star, depressing it and causing the switch below to make, thus scoring the point or whatever else the feature does. I found that the switches for the star tend to have a long, floppy upper blade. Not a lot of tension to help rebound the actual star back to home location. I dug through my parts bin and used some shorter, higher tension blades and that helped the issue too. As long as you adjust the gap so it doesn't take a ton of pressure to get the switch to make, it works fine. I was getting to the point with the filing that I just had real difficulties getting the star to move as freely as I wanted. It was a nightmare. I thought, I've spent all this money and I'll never get the game to operate properly.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emsinkc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gloss-or-matte-finish-on-an-em-playfield?tu=emsinkc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.