B2026D66-BD17-457B-922A-7ABB161B3118 (resized).jpeg
23ABB9E9-904C-4BD5-8551-0FBECBE67A18 (resized).jpeg
41BAF62E-231F-4579-9CCE-2D534CF16990 (resized).jpeg
HarlemGlobeTrotters_SwitchIssue.png
da67877ecc0aa4acab2ca214a081c0aaeeae1152.png (resized).jpg
F00B1662-E986-41EC-83B0-82044E59770A (resized).png
IMG_1068 (resized).png
IMG_3950 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emsrph.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from spandol:

On my Harlem Globetrotters, I did a playfield swap. I'm not sure if my switches are hooked up correctly. I hooked up the yel/red strobe wire from the backbox to the left center spinner, to the bottom bumper, to the left bumper and then on to the left slingshot. according to the matrix if I follow in series, it should go from the left center spinner to the left slingshot, but the way this was wired previously that would be impossible. Is the way I have it wired wrong from the strobe? My left bumper is acting strange so I'm wondering if my strobe wire should follow a different path. Any ideas? Or could someone with a HG tell me how the left center spinner connects to the bottom bumper and left bumper?
Thanks vey much.

From my understanding the path of the wire isn’t necessarily how it’s written on the chart. Since they are ‘daisy-chained’, they are all connected together. More like parallel than series (see schematic).

What’s the issue with your left bumper?

F00B1662-E986-41EC-83B0-82044E59770A (resized).pngF00B1662-E986-41EC-83B0-82044E59770A (resized).png
#4 3 years ago
Quoted from spandol:

Thanks. There are different paths, but I wasn’t sure how to connect the 3 switches since I couldn’t do it in series to follow the matrix column. The left bumper isn’t working and the switch isn’t triggered in switch test. But, the left center spinner and bottom bumper work fine. Maybe it’s not anything to do with the matrix? Everything is wired as it was before, except I wasn’t sure on how to connect those 3 switches together with the strobe wire as there are 2 small yel/red wires to connect them. I tried to use logic and my photos as best I could.

With the power off, check that the left bumper switch is making connection when it closes. Contacts may need cleaned or gapped.

Trace the left bumper circuit back to the MPU connector J2 pins 5 and 15 to make sure there is continuity. Have the connectors been re-pinned? That’s my issue most of the time.

Check diode and capacitor at left bumper switch.

Those are good first steps for checking the switch portion.

Does the left bumper work in solenoid test?

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from spandol:

I replaced the cap, but would the diode cause this issue?
The bumper does work in solenoid test.
Thanks for the info on where the connection goes on the MPU. I will check the connection there for continuity. Makes sense it might be that.

Could be the diode on the switch. In addition to checking switch continuity back to the MPU, don't forget to check the leaf switch actually closes electrically.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from spandol:

How would I do this? The switch is spaced correctly but it doesn't show in switch test when I manually close it. I'm going to work on it now. I will change out the diode.

Power OFF. Put your meter on continuity (or resistance ohms). Connect one lead to each of the two leaf switch contacts. Should get a beep or zero ohms when you manually close the switch.

#10 3 years ago

Dup

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from spandol:

Wish I would have seen that before posting, but putting a new diode in the correct direction fixed it. I do appreciate all the help.
Thanks!

Excellent. Glad you got it solved.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from spandol:

Here's another issue I could use some help on. If you look at the matrix, I was having the the right sling fire when both the first and last drop target were down and I hit the left center spinner. On the matrix, I figure its a bad diode. So, I replaced all the diodes on those 4 switches. Problem is, that must not have been the issue because the right sling still fires under the same circumstance. What am I missing? Is there another box I could make from the switches?
Thanks!

There may be some row/column thing going on that is obvious to someone else.
If no one smarter comes along you could be a wiring error or short. You could manually close each switch and see what registers in the diagnostic switch test (5 presses of self test button inside coin door). See pinwiki for how to do this- https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Switch_problems

#22 3 years ago

Wouldn’t hurt to check the wire back to see if there is a short. Is the D target the first stop in the chain?

Post a picture of the target switch. Maybe someone will see something wrong with it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, OH
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

4,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grandview, MO
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emsrph.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/globetrotters-switch-matrix-question?tu=emsrph and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.