Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6417 (resized).jpg
IMG_6421 (resized).jpg
IMG_6420 (resized).jpg
IMG_6419 (resized).jpg
IMG_6418 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

I’m trying to bring my first pin, a Harlem Globetrotters that seems not to have worked for a while, back to life. Here’s what I think my first steps should be – but I’d love any thoughts or advice anybody here might have for me!

1) Replace the mpu board

On startup, some of the playfield and backbox lights come on, but that’s it. The mpu led light is steady, with no flashes and no response when pressing the self-test button. Assuming this is because the battery has corroded, with damage spreading on the board. (Pics attached.)

From reading other posts, and because I have no soldering experience, I’m thinking replacing rather than repairing the board is probably my better move. I’ve also seen that people here like both barakandl’s Weebly and alltek’s Ultimate replacement boards...any thoughts on which one would be best for me?

2) After replacing the mpu, run tests to see what else might be broken

Figured I’d try to just run the Globetrotters' self-tests and hope to get some clear results, but if there’s anything else I should try, or any tools I should get, I’d love to hear about it.

3) Replace all the rubber, and get a new ball

Some of the rubber is broken, and much of it is cracking, so it seems I ought to get this: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/RK1341-1

Thanks so much, everybody!

IMG_6418 (resized).jpgIMG_6418 (resized).jpgIMG_6419 (resized).jpgIMG_6419 (resized).jpgIMG_6420 (resized).jpgIMG_6420 (resized).jpgIMG_6421 (resized).jpgIMG_6421 (resized).jpgIMG_6417 (resized).jpgIMG_6417 (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

Plan to Replace the MPU, but follow pinwiki guide for Bally machines. It will start with checking the power supply first.

Ultimately, you will end up replacing caps on the SDB and to improve reliability, and repinning the connectors that go to the circuit boards.

#3 3 years ago

Excellent resource, @billc479. I’ve got lots to learn – thanks!

#4 3 years ago

Fun game! welcome and kudos for doing your homework.

#5 3 years ago

Thanks, @emsrph!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.00
$ 69.00
3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, OH
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grandview, MO
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/globetrotter-repair-first-steps and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.