Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Billc479
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I purchased Harlem Globetrotters a little over a year ago and everything has worked great until recently when the double left flippers went completely dead. This was my first pin and I have no experience at all working on these, is this something that i could diagnose and potentially fix or do I just need to call a professional? Thanks!

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from jjbeck12:

I purchased Harlem Globetrotters a little over a year ago and everything has worked great until recently when the double left flippers went completely dead. This was my first pin and I have no experience at all working on these, is this something that i could diagnose and potentially fix or do I just need to call a professional? Thanks!

Hi! Prop up the playfield and observe the cabinet switches. Make sure that when you press that left flipper button that both switches are closing simultaneously. If not, you will need to bend them at the base of the switch with pliers to adjust. If this isn’t it, let me know!

#3 3 years ago

Do you know how to use a multimeter? Did you look at the wiring to the flippers to make sure all the wires are connected? Did you look at the circuit boards in the head in case a wire broke off from a connector on the solenoid driver board?

During powering up, hold the flipper buttons in. Did the flippers activate?

Do you have schematics and can you read them?

#4 3 years ago

Thanks for the replies! I confirmed that the cabinet switches are touching when I press the left flipper button. I did a quick check of the wiring and didn't see any broken wires but will do a closer check tomorrow. I held both flipper buttons in during power up and the left flippers did nothing while the right flipper fired twice. I've never used a multimeter and don't have the schematics and don't know if I would be able to read them if I had them. I feel like I may be completely useless in getting this fixed, hahaha!

#5 3 years ago

OK - since the left flippers did not move during power up, that narrows down the problem to either no voltage to the flippers or no signal from the SDB to the left flippers. Again, look closely at the wires going to the left flipper coils before going further.

With the playfield up, measure voltages on the left flipper coils - you should read about 43 volts DC between the coil leads. If no power, you will need to search for a broken wire. Using a multimeter, you do that with power off. With the meter on Ohms, touch both leads together and verify the meter reads zero or close to it. Then, hook one lead to a wire on the coil, and the other lead to the SDB, connector J1, pin 8. You should read about zero ohms - if not, try the other side of the coil - one of these should read near zero. Next is to check the other wire - connect to it, and the other lead to the rectifier board, connector A2J1 pin 6.

Report back. Others will need to chime in - we all have our own way of troubleshooting - some prefer to check with power on, but since you're "new" to this, its safer to check as much as you can with power off. In fact, its probably better for you to do the power off checks first before trying to verify power to the coils.

Let us know.

#6 3 years ago

Iirc, this game is set up so that the lower flipper triggers the upper flipper, so if the lower flipper doesn't work, the upper flipper will never fire either. So your issue might be only with the lower flipper

#7 3 years ago

I can’t remember, but are the flippers fused?

#8 3 years ago

We will help you through this, man!

#9 3 years ago

Thanks for the help! I took a much closer look today and found one wire that broke off from where it connects to the lower flipper coil. It turns out that the metal bracket that connects the flipper coil to the play field only had two screws (instead of 4) and the two screws were coming loose. So I imagine that the whole mech there was shaking like crazy each time the flipper engaged which eventually broke the wire. I was able to reconnect the wire (my first time soldering), and found the two missing screws and reattached the bracket and it's working again! Thanks again for the help, it feels really good to have fixed it on my own!

#10 3 years ago

Congrats!!

#11 3 years ago

So the left flippers were working great for a few days and now the upper left flipper has started acting up. When I hold the left flipper button the upper left flipper rapidly fires continuously while the lower left flipper remains in the normal up position.

Any ideas on what’s causing this? This doesn’t always happen, it periodic. Would it be the way I reattached the broken wire? Maybe it’s touching something it shouldn’t at times?

#12 3 years ago

Verify your solder job

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

5,299 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grandview, MO
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, OH
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/globetrotter-dead-double-flippers- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.