(Topic ID: 43079)

GLM Twilight Zone Door Panel Insert Board (see at TPF show!)

By GLModular

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by GLModular
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image.jpg
tzdpb_05a.jpg
tzdpb_04a.jpg
tzdpb_02a.jpg
tzdpb_01a.jpg
tzdpb_03a.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GLModular.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

I finally have a few of these completed and ready to ship.

http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/products/pinball/tzdpb.html

This is a replacement for the door panel insert lamp board and includes all four flashers that were removed from the prototype games plus a plug-n-play wiring harness to get them working.

After having seen a video of a prototype game in play, I felt it was absolutely necessary to have all four flashers installed. Just having the two doesn't seem to give as dramatic of an effect.

Most aftermarket mods only replace the GUM and BALL flashers, because the sample/production lamp boards still have the space for these flashers. Unfortunately the LOCK flashers cannot be easily put back into these boards because the lamps for the lock inserts were relocated when the LOCK flashers were taken out.

This board puts all of the lamps and flashers back to their original locations. The board still uses the original lamp twist-in sockets so that you can use traditional 555 bulbs or aftermarket LEDs of your choice.

Please check out the videos of the board. The first video is of the game in attract mode, the second video is during game play.

If anyone has questions about this product, please post them here and I'll answer them as I can.

Thanks!

Tony

tzdpb_03a.jpgtzdpb_03a.jpg tzdpb_01a.jpgtzdpb_01a.jpg tzdpb_02a.jpgtzdpb_02a.jpg tzdpb_04a.jpgtzdpb_04a.jpg tzdpb_05a.jpgtzdpb_05a.jpg

#3 11 years ago

Thanks!

BTW, the flashers are MUCH brighter than they appear in the video.

Tony

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from mbarthelow:

Does the finished board include the sockets for the non-flasher bulbs, and if not, can you supply them or recommend a supplier?

No, it does not come with the twist sockets.

I would imagine that most people will just transfer them from the old board to the new board.

However, if you need them, most pinball supply etailers should have them.

Search for part number # 24-8767.

Tony

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from Buschjs:

Are the flashers surface mount LEDs?

Yes. There are four LEDs per flasher. They are amped up versions of the kind used in the GLM star post lights.

Tony

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from mspaeth:

Why not just LED out the whole thing?
Prob be cheaper to fab without all the routed cutouts anyway.

Quoted from BoJo:

Probably because not everyone likes LED's and the ones who do like LED's don't always like the same ones. The socket will allow the owner to add whatever LED or incandescent they want.

That is exactly right.

Some people like it brighter than others and some try to enrich the insert colors in a particular way. It would be difficult to please everyone, so keeping the sockets is honestly the best approach to doing that.

The other problem with going 100% LED: I don't use cheap ones!

Tony

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

I've been thinking on how to achieve that for myself with the stock board and not adding anything "flammable".

You're likely to catch the playfield on fire before you have to worry about the circuit board going up in flames!

I'm guessing you probably don't want to paint your board, so I would use the brightest sheet of paper you can find and laminate it over the circuit board with some form of water soluable glue. Circuit boards are amazingly durable items, so if the paper doesn't work out, you can just strip the paper off with water, alcohol, or other mild solvent.

Tony

#19 11 years ago

First round of boards got shipped out today. Thanks to everyone who ordered one!

Now I have to frantically build some more for Texas!

Tony

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from mspaeth:

Meh... guess I'll just run my own boards then.

I wish you the best and look forward to seeing what you come up with!

In the meantime, the GLM boards are still available and ready to ship. Since they are hand-assembled, I can only make so many a day (along with 60+ other products).

Tony

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from Iamdarras:

I just put in my board and my switch kit!!! Thanks so much for the great work!!

You are most welcome! Thanks for posting the pics. Looks great!

For those attending the Texas Pinball Festival show, stop by say hi and check these out at our booth!

Tony

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GLModular.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/glm-twilight-zone-door-panel-insert-board?tu=GLModular and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.