Topic Stats

• 67 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Wickerman2
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

xxaqzaaz (resized).jpg
Scratch 003 (resized).JPG
Scratch 002 (resized).JPG

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 2 years ago

Somebody "keyed" my backglass at RMPS! Bunch of fairly deep scratches in a 3" or so square. Stay classy Denver

Is there any "fix" for this? Found a thread on using toothpaste...

Scratch 002 (resized).JPG

Scratch 003 (resized).JPG

#2 2 years ago

Ugh, that's awful. Who the heck would do that? That's crazy.

Maybe windshield repair kits?

#3 2 years ago

An old trick to fix scratches in glasses was to rub in a little clear nail polish. I feel like if you can feel the scratches with a finger nail, no amount of toothpaste will get it out.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Maybe windshield repair kits?

This is actually a pretty fantastic idea. The only problem I can see you running into is that those kits are usually designed to be used for chips, not wide scratches. Might be worth a shot to experiment though.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I feel like if you can feel the scratches with a finger nail, no amount of toothpaste will get it out.

They are fairly deep, you can feel them easy.

#6 2 years ago

Headlight kit + 2pac? The clear could fill the deep scratches?

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

They are fairly deep, you can feel them easy.

I would say start with some clear nail polish. Do you have a wife or daughter you can steal some from? In a worst case scenario that it looks terrible, you can always remove it with acetone. Then I'd probably consider moving onto the permanent solutions--like a windshield kit or something like that.

#8 2 years ago

Safest "repair" is a new sheet of glass. If you can feel the scratches, "polishing" them out with whatever abrasive compounds of your choice will thin the glass and create a weak point, in my opinion. And you'll end up making a nice 5" area on the glass that won't ever look right...

Opps - just realized you noted it was a backglass - disregard!!!! Sorry!

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from dtowndobe:

Safest "repair" is a new sheet of glass.

That would be a repro silk screened or bgresto backglass since this is an EM...so $300-400 which I can't do. I'm selling the game anyway so I just wanted to get it looking better. Maybe somebody didn't like my price on it at the show! The scratch was right above where I had the sale sign

#10 2 years ago

Yeah - I edited my post above. Completely ignored you said backglass!!! Called myself an idiot too, rightfully so!!

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Somebody "keyed" my backglass at RMPS! Bunch of fairly deep scratches in a 3" or so square. Stay classy Denver
Is there any "fix" for this? Found a thread on using toothpaste...

Vid's gotta have a fix for this.

#12 2 years ago

That is outrageous! I cant believe that happened! People are going to stop taking their games to shows. I heard a rumor that a bunch of folks got damaged games last year. Just doesn't make sense. A bunch of punks are gonna ruin it for everyone! Sucks!

#13 2 years ago

In the body shop we use a glass polishing kit to get light scratches off glass... I'm guessing this one is too deep to remove, but if you go to town on it, it would probably be less noticeable. Not sure how much heat the polishing generates so mind the paint... Good Luck!

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from jrockne:

In the body shop we use a glass polishing kit to get light scratches off glass... I'm guessing this one is too deep to remove, but if you go to town on it would probably be less noticeable. Not sure how much heat the polishing generates so mind the paint... Good Luck!

Safety glass in cars is made differently, as far as I was aware. Can that even be done with tempered glass? Wouldn't that affect the structural integrity of the glass?

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Wouldn't that affect the structural integrity of the glass?

These EM backglasses are so thin I'm a bit scared to use any high speed buffing tool as well. I'm going to try something by hand. If I can get the "white" look to the scratches gone that'll be good enough. It wasn't mint on the paint side to begin with. If this was one of my silk screened repros I'd be going berserk.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Safety glass in cars is made differently, as far as I was aware. Can that even be done with tempered glass? Wouldn't that affect the structural integrity of the glass?

We use it mostly for superficial scratches, light scratches on the side glass from dirt and grime in the belt molding over time. (cant catch fingernail on it)

I'd recommend finding a custom glass company and bringing it in to them to take a look, they would know best!

#18 2 years ago

Did they have security cameras there? Do you know what day it happened? I would think this could amount to felony vandalism if you need to replace the glass (if the scratches will not come out). I would guess it happened after hours, but you never know what some people will do in broad daylight.

Sorry to hear about this.

#19 2 years ago

Makes me wonder if there weren't any other damaged games? Hope those folks will speak up.

#20 2 years ago

On the plus side, Big Shot has a pretty ugly backglass to begin with.

#21 2 years ago

Take it to a glass shop. Think that using a buffer with buffing rogues on such a thin glass should be done with extreme care. When a cracked windshield is repaired there, is a chemical that is kind of injected into the crack, not wiped across the surface.

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

On the plus side, Big Shot has a pretty ugly backglass to begin with.

Are you crazy? I love the 70's art. It's totally cool.

#23 2 years ago

Some might say I'm lunatistical.

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from pinball4ever:

felony vandalism

Pretty sure felony has to be over 500 in damage.. not siding with the DOUCHE that did this at all....but they're likely to just get a pee-pee slap even if police find them.

*edit* Apparently in CO it's not a felony until it's 1k in damage..

Statute Colorado Revised Code, Title 18, Article 4, Part 5
Penalties

Colorado vandalism laws are penalized differently depending on the aggregate amount of damage to property as follows:

Under $300 - Class 3 misdemeanor punishable with up to 6 months imprisonment and/or $50-$750 in fines;
$300-$750 - Class 2 misdemeanor punishable with 3-12 months imprisonment and/or $250-$1,000 in fines;

#25 2 years ago

You're handling this way better than I could. I think buffing idea in timed intervals checking for heat is a good idea. Best of luck.
-Mike

#26 2 years ago

You need to let the organizers know about this immediately. If this happened at my show I would want to make it right

#27 2 years ago

Tempered glass can be polished out.

You probably can't do it at home, because your polisher will heat up the glass, causing it to explode.

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Take it to a glass shop.

What he said.

#29 2 years ago

Its posted on the RMPS thread Dan will see it.

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Found a thread on using toothpaste...

Plastic, won't work on glass.

Sorry.

LTG : (

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

your polisher will heat up the glass, causing it to explode.

That would be bad, right?

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

You're handling this way better than I could. I think buffing idea in timed intervals checking for heat is a good idea. Best of luck.

It's a $700-800 EM, hopefully the scratched glass won't make or break a sale or cost me more than $100. More of just a bummer in general. Makes me think twice about bringing games to shows unfortunately. I am selling it anyway so it's not like it was one of my keepers or a much more expensive game. Makes me appreciate the guys that bring the high end stuff to shows...never occurred to me anything like this could happen.

#33 2 years ago

I've had luck filling cracks like this on my motorcycle using SEVERAL layers of (car) wax.

Wax liberally, wait (dry), buff by hand. Repeat 100 times.

Using light heat (hair dryer, not heat gun!) might help with the penetration.

To be honest, I'd try this solution first. Car wax will not damage anything, so you have nothing to lose.

EDIT: Obviously, do not use anything abrasive when buffing. Use a super soft cloth.

#34 2 years ago

If it's destined for sale fill the scratches with several layers of clear fingernail polish and razor blade flat after drying. That would take away the white scratches.

#35 2 years ago

Is the show responsible for any damages to your machines? If so, then I'd be making the show buy you a new backglass.

#36 2 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

several layers of clear fingernail polish

Doesn't UV light render the nail polish a little yellow after a while?

Like I said, I'd try the wax plan first. Nail polish has nasty solvents in it. Scared.

#37 2 years ago

I dont think the solvents could penetrate the glass to get to the art on other side?

#38 2 years ago

Yeah you're right. Not sure why I mentioned solvents.

#39 2 years ago

When I built plastic models, I sprayed Future floor polish on them if I wanted a semi-gloss or gloss finish. Future's self-leveling so there's no buffing.

#40 2 years ago

That sucks, I feel your pain I've had all sorts of damage occur from taking machines to shows in the past. Some people are just a**holes.

Unfortunately I don't think you're going to find a fix for that (other than replacing the glass) and the tricks that you read on the internet are more likely to make it worse IMO. I've tried many things in the past to repair scratches on CRT monitor tubes after people smashed through the protective glass in front of em like on Golden Tees and other arcade games. I've tried the toothpaste thing, wax, all kinds of products including cerium oxide. The latter had the best chance of a slight improvement but I literally spent hours polishing and got so mad at the lack of improvement that I polished the monitor tube with a drill until it overheated and burned a hole into the tube and imploded. Felt so good...til I had to dispose of the monitor

As much as it bothers you though, it's not likely to detract from the value of the game much (if at all) when selling it so I wouldn't let it get to you too much.

#41 2 years ago

I'm telling you, don't even waste your time with some "baking soda and vinegar" home solution.

Call your local glass guru vandalism removal guys, and for ~$25 a square foot they'll fix your backglass, your scratched up shower doors, your boat windshield......

When the local Petco gets "PUPPY MURDERER" scratched into their front glass, they don't send an employee out with a tube of toothpaste, they call a glass shop and an hour latter their glass looks like new again.

https://www.shineglassrenewal.com/

#42 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Tempered glass can be polished out.

Gottlieb EM backglasses are from what I've seen broken are not Tempered Glass. When it gets broken there are various sizes, not cubes of glass and artwork.

#43 2 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Gottlieb EM backglasses are from what I've seen broken are not Tempered Glass. When it gets broken there are various sizes, not cubes of glass and artwork.

Unless it's acrylic, a scratched up backglass, tempered or soda glass, is out of the the league of the average pin owner.

If there was a "homemade" solution to safely polish real glass, I'd pass it on.

#44 2 years ago

You can safely polish this one yourself at home:

xxaqzaaz (resized).jpg

#45 2 years ago

A UV pen worked pretty good for me on a playfield glass.....

#46 2 years ago

Cerium oxide can be used to remove light scratches from glass, but as others have said , if you can feel it with your thumbnail the glass needs to be ground first.

As usual Vid's suggestion of professional help seems to be the best solution in this case.

Sucks that this happened!

#47 2 years ago

I have a Heads Up Challenge Poker machine with a glass top. I bought it used and the stop was scratched, so I tried that method with the Cerium Oxide. If it works, it only really works on faint scratches. Anything you can readily feel with your fingernail either isn't going to work or it's going to take a long time. I spent over an hour on mine and it didn't seem like it did anything.

I've also read that you can use sand paper to try and get the damage down and then just polish with Cerium Oxide. But, I didn't go that far.

I know what professional glass places have some diamond pads and what not that they can use. You can by them yourself, but they start getting costly pretty quick.

#48 2 years ago

What's a UV Pen? Is that like invisible ink?

#49 2 years ago

amazon.com link »

I havent used this specific brand....there are different types...Ive used them to fill some planking,
Ramps, inserts....

A better "Rated" one...?

amazon.com link »

#50 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I'm telling you, don't even waste your time with some "baking soda and vinegar" home solution.
Call your local glass guru vandalism removal guys, and for ~$25 a square foot they'll fix your backglass, your scratched up shower doors, your boat windshield......
When the local Petco gets "PUPPY MURDERER" scratched into their front glass, they don't send an employee out with a tube of toothpaste, they call a glass shop and an hour latter their glass looks like new again.
https://www.shineglassrenewal.com/

This is the only correct answer.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 26.95
$ 189.00
Boards
Little Shop Of Games
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 20.00
Various Other Swag
Project Pinball Charity
$ 21.00
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 39.50
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 21.00
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 3.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside