8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Darscot
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

How do the glare guard sheets (polarized plastic) sold by Comet and PinballLife look when installed on directly on a Color DMD display? Is too much of the DMD's brightness lost?

#2 8 years ago

I don't know since I have the Wrong Crowd Glare Guards on a dozen ColorDMD machines. But since you can adjust the ColorDMD I'm sure you could compensate.

Keeping this bumped for a definite answer.

#3 8 years ago

I used one on my JD. The 3M privacy stuff (which I believe is the same stuff Comet sells). It didn't work right. Now it worked when I had the regular stock DMD but I can't remember exactly what was wrong but the ColorDMD looked better without it and there isn't really any glare on the playfield glass to begin with when using ColorDMD.

#4 8 years ago

I have also used the wrong crowd plastic glare guards on all my DMD games but have noticed that when I did some color DMD conversions the glare guard was no longer needed. The DMD seems to set back a little further and have less glare on the playfield.

#6 8 years ago

I agree - as the ColorDMD is set back a little and not as bright as a standard DMD, it does not noticeably reflect onto the playfield glass. I tried a glareguard and it made the ColorDMD too dim, while having only a tiny effect on the reflection.

2 months later
    #8 8 years ago

What do you need a bump for? Your question was answered super well above. Do you just ignore responses given to you? How rude to those that took the time to post.

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from MJW:

I have also used the wrong crowd plastic glare guards on all my DMD games but have noticed that when I did some color DMD conversions the glare guard was no longer needed. The DMD seems to set back a little further and have less glare on the playfield.

Yeah, me too - ColorDMD barely glares at all...but sometimes I find that playfield spotlights cause glare I don't want ON the ColorDMD! So the Glare Guards help block that light from reflecting on the ColorDMD. I wouldn't put any film type thing over a ColorDMD.

#10 8 years ago

Are you getting a lot of glare from you ColorDMD, I recently put one in and the glare is nothing compared to the original DMD. I see no need for it. I do use a glare filter on a my standard DMD and its a must have in my mind, but no issue on the color DMD.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/glare-guards-with-color-dmds and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.