6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by MaxAsh
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MaxAsh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Recently picked up a Gottlieb Gladiators! Fun pin, and I have another System 3, so I'm used to some of the quirks. That being said... I ran into an issue I'm hoping someone with knowledge of the game can assist with perhaps. From what I gather reading, the game has several optical sensors for registering the ball passing thru various spots. Most of them seem fine, but I've run into an odd issue and I'm not sure if it's opto related, or something else I'm missing.

To spell M-U-L-T-I, you have to hit various shots (or spot them other ways). All of mine seem to register except for the "U". From what I gather, there's a loop in the upper left/mid area of the game where the "U" and "L" are shown. You're supposed go around the loop one way to get the "U", then back the other way to get the "L" (I think).

On my machine, when I go in the left and out the right of the loop, I DON'T get awarded the "U". But when I go the other way, in right, out left, the "L" registers just fine.

So I guess my question is: Are there two sensors in there? What would cause it to read one direction, but not the other?

I haven't completely taken the area apart yet, as I wanted to check with everyone on the forum before tearing the whole thing down to be sure.

See this pic on ipdb for reference of the area in question: http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1011&picno=49349&zoom=1

#6 6 years ago

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it. Maybe they read sequentially? So if "U" is lit then it has to read the left Opto before the right one is triggered, and vice versa for "L"? Not sure if it's that smart, but I would think it would have to be otherwise the directionally wouldn't matter.

I guess I could test that by triggering the "U" elsewhere with an "advance multi" award, then when it's on "L", I can go the wrong way and see if it registers L even though it shouldn't. Worth a shot.

Wires/plugs being reversed seems odd, but I can check that I guess. Sounds like no matter what I do, I'm going to have to take apart that whole area to check things out. Looks like a pain. Any advice there?

#8 6 years ago

Yea it's a pain to get to, so it looks like I'll be doing some dismantling and removal work to really get a good look and sort it all out. I'll start with the top of the playfield, the actual sensors and such, by taking apart that back area. Maybe I'll get lucky and something is just misaligned, dirty, or just needs a re-flow up there.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Wichita, KS
2,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MaxAsh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gladiators-opto-help-1?tu=MaxAsh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.