(Topic ID: 94360)

Glad I consider pinball a hobby

By sixpakmopar

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I just finished up a playfield restore, coin door restore, replacement of the IDC connectors with molex crimp type, replaced header connector pins on all boards, rebuilt power supply, rebuilt playfield machinery, touched up and cleared playfield, cleaned all playfield parts, plus a thorough overall cleaning of the cabinet (sure found a lot of spare?? screws/nuts in this one) on a Jungle Lord. Kept rough track of the time involved 55-60 hours plus about $300 in parts (the sound/speech boards are New also and not included in the $300). Even IF this was game was acquired for FREE I would have a hard time netting $15 per hour, adding what I paid for the game to begin with makes the numbers much worse. I hope I enjoy the gameplay and am able to keep it for a while until I forget how much time/money was invested. No wonder most every early solid state game I have seen for sale has had the minimal cleaning, cheapest of repair/hacks possible done to it to call it working (most are just barely working). Even a so called shopped machine had only the easy to get to rubber rings replaced (if a screw or spinner had to be removed it was not), rusty/nasty leg levelers, caved in coin door.
I know I see some early solid state machines that are very clean that sell/are priced well above average but think that even these are in need of upgrading all the boards and connectors.

#2 9 years ago

Nice post sixpakmopar. Yes, it truly is a labor of love, isn't it?
Everyone who has purchased a game from me received my heart and soul as far as labor was concerned. It's a tedious and long process just to replace all the connectors, let alone fix everything to a reliable state and clean it well. My profit is the satisfaction that I was able to save a game from a possible trip to the dump, and eventually get them to owners that were truly excited to have them.

#3 9 years ago

I know what you mean.

I just bought a Whirlwind...have already spent well over $400 in parts.

So far, Everything under the playfield have been cleaned and completely rebuilt. As of today, I have 34 hours into it.

Getting ready to start shopping the upper side of the playfield. I'm guessing I'll have another 40+ hours to go before I can say it's done.

Yeah...there's no money to be made in shop job. You just do it for the love of pinball.

#4 9 years ago

Yeah, pretty much eliminates the theory of "Find something you enjoy and make a living at it" from most pinball machine restorations. I still enjoy it and will do it again and again for the enjoyment. That is what a hobby is all about.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
1,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Langhorne, PA
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/glad-i-consider-pinball-a-hobby and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.