917E1E02-4D38-49B8-958C-48C41BE51052 (resized).jpeg
30-pete-davidson-ariana-grande.w1200.h630 (resized).jpg
jr5HsfFLGQfqu1oCCuVLhM6BRDcO3y9w8OlxyA8sq5U (resized).jpg
zla1.jpg
chuck-berry.jpg.cf (resized).jpg
chuck-berry.jpg.cf-1 (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpg
Fo9zjbX (resized).jpg
There are 498 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 10.
#201 5 years ago

A lot of classics here. Here’s mine:

“Afternoon Delight” by Starland Vocal Band.

This is just such a fascinating product of its time with its mish mash of country, rock and ultra-harmonized chorus and from an era where artists used hilarious metaphors to get past the corporate censors!

And you will never get that chorus out of your head.

#202 5 years ago
Quoted from BudManPinFan:

Motörhead - Ace of Spades

So will this be in the POP Music Hall of Fame some day?????

#203 5 years ago

try this one...

#204 5 years ago

or better yet....

#205 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Assuming you are talking about the AC/DC song (and not the BB song), then that is certainly Commercial Pop Rock.

Yes was talking Ac/Dc song.

here are a few (Brittany)

Lady Gaga

AWOL nation

or the best use of a song in a self made video

#206 5 years ago

Lovefool by the Cardigans. She has the most gorgeous eyes ever.

Work from Home by 5th Harmony

#207 5 years ago

Edwyn Collins: "A Girl Like You"

#208 5 years ago

Stray Cats: "Stray Cat Strut"

#209 5 years ago

The Kinks: "Waterloo Sunset"

#210 5 years ago

The Zombies: "She's Not There"

#211 5 years ago

Roxy Music: "Love Is The Drug"

#212 5 years ago

Ca Plane por Moi

#213 5 years ago

Freddie's Dead- Curtis Mayfield

#214 5 years ago

Edwyn Collins: "A Girl Like You"

Nah, this is the right “A girl like you”:

#215 5 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

The Zombies: "She's Not There"

Awesome tune, but Santana claimed this one as his own forever on Moonflower:

#216 5 years ago

Isaac Hayes- Theme from Shaft

#217 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Isaac Hayes- Theme from Shaft

I see your Shaft and raise you "Boss #!@@#&", a great theme with an infectious & unforgettable hook. BTW the title was Fred Williamson's idea.

#218 5 years ago

He said shaft. huh huh huh huh

#220 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If you hear it all the time on the radio, it's NOT the perfect pop song.

Isn't that kind of the definition of pop song? Pop as in popular? Popular because it's played all the time? A perfect song would be one that you liked on the 10,000th listen just as much as on the first. My first two immediate thoughts have already been mentioned. Billie Jean and In The Air Tonight are perfect pop songs.

#221 5 years ago

Since no one posted the original, here’s an a cappella cover:

#222 5 years ago

Added over 6 years ago:

10CC - Things We Do For Love

#224 5 years ago

Dinosaur JR. best punk pop song

#226 5 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Isn't that kind of the definition of pop song? Pop as in popular? Popular because it's played all the time? A perfect song would be one that you liked on the 10,000th listen just as much as on the first. My first two immediate thoughts have already been mentioned. Billie Jean and In The Air Tonight are perfect pop songs.

I agree with you 100 percent on definition, but I think the original poster was trying to find perfect pop songs that aren't played all the time. If you are over the age of 30 and don't know Billie Jean then you have been living under a rock, or playing far too much pinball...

So far, the songs that have grabbed me on this thread are the ones I didn't know, or have become reacquainted with, like The Dictators "Stay With Me", Oingo Boingo "Just Another Day", Simple Kid "Lil King Kong", The Kinks "Sweet Lady Genevieve" and Spirit's "I Got a Line on You"

Not a number one among them, and none of them even charted in Australia.

Here's a nice slice of early 70s British bubblegum pop that is probably unknown in the States, but charted in places like Australia, Germany and South Africa. The band put together to tour this song included a later member of Split Enz, New Zealand's greatest band

Kincade - Dreams Are Ten a Penny:

#227 5 years ago

I was only 7 when this came out but it dumbed me back down to kindergarten and I lost a couple years thanks Billy.

#228 5 years ago

Can't listen to it anymore, but the Stroke is certainly a perfect pop song. I dig some Billy Squier and it started there.

#229 5 years ago

Funny, I was going to post
Pulling Muscles From A Shell, but refrained, because I had already posted several others. Squeeze's "Take Me I'm Yours" also qualifies, I think.

#230 5 years ago

Foster The People have a bunch

#231 5 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

The problem is you have heard those songs 100000000000 times, so you no longer know if they are perfect pop or not, they are hardwired into your brain.

Nobody on earth liked "In The Air Tonite" the first time they heard it. Even the record executives did not want to release it as a single, there is a funny interview video on VH1 about how wrong they were.

I'm starting a thread "Post your favorite song" and you can put any Moldy Oldie song that they play 1000000 times a day in it.

In THIS thread, we want to hear overlooked or underplayed PERFECT pop songs:

Unforgettable Hook, Upbeat Tempo, 'Like it the first time you hear it' songcraft

#232 5 years ago

FANCY “SLICE ME NICE”

#233 5 years ago

Herés two probably not so known songs outside Sweden from the 80’s.

Lili & Sussi - Oh Mama

Trance Dance - You're Gonna Get It

#234 5 years ago

How about a Terra Lightfoot

#235 5 years ago

Here is your winner

#236 5 years ago

Catchy guitar, separate riffs for intro/chorus and verse, changes in the back beat, funky verse bass line, and a chorus that gets stuck in your head.

What You Know - Two Door Cinema Club

#237 5 years ago

Skanky pop. Madness: Our House

#238 5 years ago

" No easy way out" Robert Tepper....Used in Rocky 4

#239 5 years ago

Does it have to be in English?

#240 5 years ago

Ill bet if you watch this a couple times, youll be singing it all day....

A contender:

#241 5 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

" No easy way out" Robert Tepper....Used in Rocky 4

Now, go listen to Papa Don't Preach and Livin' on a Prayer. It's like those two songs had a baby but were released a year after the original.

#242 5 years ago

Alex Chilton "The Letter"

#244 5 years ago
Quoted from newovad:

Now, go listen to Papa Don't Preach and Livin' on a Prayer. It's like those two songs had a baby but were released a year after the original.

Ha...Nah, not even close...Produced and guitar by legend Dan Huff, no key modulation on last chorus (BJ never really hit those notes), and "Papa" was a disco wanna be, rehash.

This tune was purpose written, produced, and recorded.... Epitomizes textbook "one hit" pop classic...If they would have only given him a choreographer....But this really wasn't built for a touring act anyway....

#245 5 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

Madness: Our House

One of the best pop songs ever written, in my opinion.

#246 5 years ago

R e m losing my religion.

Pulls you in immediately.

Overplayed beyond belief, a perfect pop song. I m o.

#247 5 years ago

Love this song, love the video, love the lead singer.
The Asteroids Galaxy Tour.

#248 5 years ago

Preceding "she's a beauty".

Which is stuck in my brain forever,
white punks on dope.

Same band of course. Both songs stuck in my brain forever.

Contrast...

#249 5 years ago

How about Jimmy Luxury

#250 5 years ago

Hook with a driving beat - ex-Smith's guitarist, very NOT Smiths song

Johnny Marr - Easy Money

There are 498 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/give-me-an-absolutely-perfect-pop-song/page/5?hl=quinntopia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.