917E1E02-4D38-49B8-958C-48C41BE51052 (resized).jpeg
30-pete-davidson-ariana-grande.w1200.h630 (resized).jpg
jr5HsfFLGQfqu1oCCuVLhM6BRDcO3y9w8OlxyA8sq5U (resized).jpg
zla1.jpg
chuck-berry.jpg.cf (resized).jpg
chuck-berry.jpg.cf-1 (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpg
Fo9zjbX (resized).jpg
There are 498 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 10.
#151 5 years ago

It would be hard to pick the most perfect GBV song from the powerpop kings, but I'll take a stab with this.

Cheap Trick said GBV was the only band that could ever outdrink them on tour.

Guided By Voices - Glad Girls

#152 5 years ago

Raveonettes, I love the throwback sound and look:

#153 5 years ago

Venom - In League With Satan

#154 5 years ago
Quoted from VectorGamer:

There is no universe where this is a pop song. Right?

#155 5 years ago
Quoted from Thermionic:

Raveonettes, I love the throwback sound and look:

They are super cool.

Reminds me of The Regrettes

The Regrettes - Seashore (NSFW)

#156 5 years ago
Quoted from VectorGamer:

Eh.. I don’t know, I think this has a better groove and just enough additional “sing along in the car with your girlfriend” je ne sais quoi to put it ahead of Venom if a catchy pop tune is what we are looking for:

#157 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Can in instrumental be a perfect pop song?

Anarchic System - Popcorn

I was going to post that one, but got busy with my TNA ramp project.

I still have that 45 by Hot Butter and my kid went nuts when I first played it for her.

#159 5 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

The Vapors - Turning Japanese.

I saw them in concert when that came out. News at Ten was another good song of theirs.

#160 5 years ago

First time I heard this back in like '96 or '97 maybe, I went HOLY, WHAT IS THIS?!?! Loved the beat and a good one to go wheel the ladies at the bar.

#161 5 years ago

Since we can do more than one:

Glenn Miller - In the Mood

Tones on Tail - Go!

Violent Femmes - Blister in the Sun

#162 5 years ago

'Officially' too long to be a perfect pop tune. Doesn't even have a video clip. But, here's the beauty of it: it doesn't need one. Close your eyes and the song takes you on a beautiful trip on the road and through Paul's mind. This song and the album that it's on will never get old for me.

#163 5 years ago

Best song you never heard...

Added over 6 years ago:

Owsley - Oh No The Radio

Seriously, check it out, great song!

#164 5 years ago

In the Air Tonight by Phil Collins, if that counts.

#165 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

"Synthesizers making an entire song???? Soon you won't have to have any talent; computers will be making our music!" - Old Man 1969

Hey!, I Said that!

#166 5 years ago

I've been playing Marty Balin songs all day. I didn't even know he was ill. I met him once and he couldn't have been nicer. Sadly, he passed today.

Great voice....great guy. This song to me is pop perfection.

Rest in peace, Marty.

#167 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Can in instrumental be a perfect pop song?
Anarchic System - Popcorn

"Synthesizers making an entire song???? Soon you won't have to have any talent; computers will be making our music!" - Old Man 1969

There is no center piece holding the 45 down? The song is called 'Hot Buttered'

#168 5 years ago

LTG : )

#169 5 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

There is no center piece holding the 45 down? The song is called 'Hot Buttered'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popcorn_%28instrumental%29

The 1972 version of Popcorn is one of the first songs that ever seeped into my consciousness. A massive hit in Australia, number one for two months and the biggest song of the year

#170 5 years ago

David Essex- Rock On

#171 5 years ago

Dolores who can hit those vocals and jam on the guitar....... RIP

The Cranberries - Zombie

#172 5 years ago

KLF - 3AM Eternal

#173 5 years ago

We could mine the 60s garage bands for days, these are primo examples:

The Seeds (much cooler than the Beatles during this era, and probably more likely to piss off the parents too )

From Montreal, the Haunted

Status Quo, probably my favorite British “Nugget”

#174 5 years ago

Need more new music. <4 months old and near one billion views already. And another great video that should have some appeal here.

#175 5 years ago

The Fixx. "Secrete Separation".

#176 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

They are super cool.
Reminds me of The Regrettes
The Regrettes - Seashore (NSFW)

Both Raveonettes and Regrettes can be heard on Little Steven's Underground Garage. Sirius XM 21.

#177 5 years ago
Quoted from Chambo:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popcorn_%28instrumental%29
The 1972 version of Popcorn is one of the first songs that ever seeped into my consciousness. A massive hit in Australia, number one for two months and the biggest song of the year

What?! You missed out on Rolf Harris' masterpiece, Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport?

#178 5 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

What?! You missed out on Rolf Harris' masterpiece, Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport?

We tend not to mention Rolf these days, after his recent unpleasantness...

#179 5 years ago

I really thought I would be the only one with an Avril Lavigne song, but I saw someone had another. I'm not a fan as far as I know. This is really the only song of her's that I can think of.

Having said that, this song effects me in a strange way...It's 1 of only 3 songs that I know of that strangely brings me near tears when I hear it. I have no idea why that is. What I do know is I really like it and I think one of the main reasons is because it reminds me of the songs of the 70s that told a story. By the time this was released that really wasn't a thing as much.

Runners up:
Stacy's Mom by Fountains of Wayne
&
1985 by Bowling for Soup

It seems a lot of my favorite pop songs are from 1 hit wonder.

#180 5 years ago

I want Candy already won this competition. For #2, I offer

Those Dancing Days- Hitten

#181 5 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

There is no center piece holding the 45 down?

If you move the wax about 1 mm off center, it makes for great video

#182 5 years ago

Django Reinhardt & Josette Dayde, Coucou, October 1940

Blondie Heart of Glass

Hetty and the Jazzato Band cover of Renato Carosone’s Tu vuo’ fa’ l’americano:

#183 5 years ago

I was perusing this thread the other night when I scrolled down to a post about Johnny B. Goode. And what do you think came on the radio that exact second? No kidding! What do you think the odds are of that?

When I was eleven years old, I visited our small town’s bowling alley and heard this bubble gum pop song on the jukebox.

Yummy Yummy Yummy I’ve Got Love In My Tummy, Ohio Express - a really annoying ear worm.

The first pop song I ever liked. Petula Clark, Downtown.

We kids used to sing this pop song verse over and over. “What’s new pussycat, whoa, whoa.”

#184 5 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

I've been playing Marty Balin songs all day. I didn't even know he was ill. I met him once and he couldn't have been nicer. Sadly, he passed today.
Great voice....great guy. This song to me is pop perfection.
Rest in peace, Marty.

I always loved Runaway. Great love song, with Marty teaching Axl Rose how to do it in the bridge:

#185 5 years ago

But back to perfect pop songs. I love everything about this song. A paean to listening to great music on the radio and the way music shapes our lives.

#186 5 years ago

I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet. It's one of the reason why music videos exist The King of pop was one of the first ones to include stories in his music videos. Plus this song is a true classic. Add to that Billie Jean and numerous MJ hit songs.

#187 5 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet. It's one of the reason why music videos exist The King of pop was one of the first ones to include stories in his music videos. Plus this song is a true classic.

Your timing is a little off, but yes, Michael’s videos turned MTV into a Juggernaut. But with the Thriller album, not Bad. Bad continued the legacy.

#188 5 years ago

Pop is so broad a term for music. Love all the obscure stuff everyone is bringing up...haven’t seen these get a mention yet.

Addicted to Love

Simply Irresistible

#189 5 years ago

A couple of really, really great downtempo tunes:

Zero 7

Morcheeba (FANTASTIC songwriting)

#190 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

When I think of "perfect" and "pop music" together, the only thing I can come up with is Taylor Swift's legs.
[quoted image]

Dang. Yup.

#191 5 years ago

The criteria, I might have a missed few.

The song is she's a Beauty by the tubes.

It has infected my brain. I leave it there...

It has a lot to do with the time it came out I was 13 and mtv was new. I still love this song and leave it on. Unlike many others from that era.

#192 5 years ago

Getting back to Perfect songs, here is an instrumental by the #2 best living guitarist on the earth.

Jim's sense of balance in his compositions, and the underlying urgency in his pacing is insane.

You will be humming this one all day...

Jim Campilongo - The Prettiest Girl in New York

#193 5 years ago

Vid

Are you saying ‘Thunderstruck’ can not be pop song because it’s rock?

#194 5 years ago

Here’s an excellent song

#195 5 years ago

Saw Wang Chung a few years back doing a free show in the afternoon on Santa Cruz beach ! They were so good, we hung around and watched their second evening show

#196 5 years ago

Right said fred. I'm too sexy.

#197 5 years ago

Or jump around house of pain.

#198 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Vid
Are you saying ‘Thunderstruck’ can not be pop song because it’s rock?

Assuming you are talking about the AC/DC song (and not the BB song), then that is certainly Commercial Pop Rock.

BUT the whole purpose of this thread is to post PERFECT SONGS that you DON'T hear on the Moldy Oldies station every day.

-

So even if your boyhood fantasy fantasy was Michael Jackson coyly stroking you off under his sheets, don't post Beat It.

We already know it, we've heard it 100000000 times, we've heard it this week on the PedoBear channel.

Post a perfect song.

Post a gem that most Pinsiders probably have not heard.

Since everyone is sampling all these tracks, this is your chance to educate their pallet - not just give them more of the same boring radio drivel.

(start a "post your favorite song" thread, and people can shovel in a bunch of Beatles, U2, Madonna, Bruce Springsteen...... all that 1/2 century old commercial fluff)

#199 5 years ago

I can't believe this thread is already on page four and nobody has even mentioned Roxette yet. In my mind, they are practically unmatched when it comes to crafting super catchy pop songs with irresistible hooks. Case in point ...

The Look

Joyride

Dangerous

It Must Have Been Love

Listen To Your Heart

#200 5 years ago

I don't know how popular this song was, but think it fits the category.....reminds me of something The Cars would sing......

Honeymoon Suite "New Girl Now"

There are 498 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/give-me-an-absolutely-perfect-pop-song/page/4?hl=trogdor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.