(Topic ID: 167129)

GI's GI Issues

By Hammerhead

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I'm trying to debug a GI issue on Gilligan's Island. Burnt J120 and J121 IDCs have been replaced, J115 IDC has been replaced, fuses have been checked. None of these have fixed the problem so far.

Only certain GI chains (orange and yellow) work, purple, brown and green do not. Per pinwiki http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#General_Illumination_Problems , I checked the voltages between a specific GI chain and its tracer on J120 and J121 and get 6.5 VAC for orange and yellow, but only 1.5 VAC for brown, green and purple. Pinwiki only says if you have voltages using this check look elsewhere, but doesn't elaborate if the voltage isn't between 6 and 7 VAC.

My thought is next to check the voltages at J115 to see if I'm getting what I'm supposed to there. If so I can surmise the problem is between J115 and J120/J121 (i.e. triacs). I was going to check the triacs but the link in pinwiki to that procedure is dead.

My question is, what should the AC voltages be at J115? Do I check them using TP1?

#2 7 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

My thought is next to check the voltages at J115 to see if I'm getting what I'm supposed to there. If so I can surmise the problem is between J115 and J120/J121 (i.e. triacs). I was going to check the triacs but the link in pinwiki to that procedure is dead.
My question is, what should the AC voltages be at J115? Do I check them using TP1?

You should have 6.3VAC at J115. The pinwiki article above explains how to check voltages at J115. Have you tested, with a meter, all of the GI fuses?

#3 7 years ago

In that pinwiki it shows where you should have continuity for each color. Did you check your continuity for the colors you are having a problem with?

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

You should have 6.3VAC at J115. The pinwiki article above explains how to check voltages at J115. Have you tested, with a meter, all of the GI fuses?

The article talks about checking J115 pin 11 and the AC power input connector. What about the other J115 pins? I checked fuses F105 to F110 out of their bases with a multimeter and all tested fine.

Quoted from terryb:

In that pinwiki it shows where you should have continuity for each color. Did you check your continuity for the colors you are having a problem with?

I haven't gotten there yet - it's very awkward as the backbox door is right in the way to get good access to the triacs. I suppose for a continuity check the board could be out of the game but I was hoping to avoid that.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

The article talks about checking J115 pin 11 and the AC power input connector. What about the other J115 pins? I checked fuses F105 to F110 out of their bases with a multimeter and all tested fine.

Not absolutely positive on the wire colors they used, but you can check from yellow to yellow/white. All of the yellow wires tie to the same point on the transformer, and ditto for the yellow/white. So unless you have a problem at the connector that is unlikely your problem. Still worth checking; I would check at the board side of the connector though.

#6 7 years ago

Sounds like your problem may be at the output of the transformer in the bottom of the cabinet. Check to see if you have any burnt pins there. I had this on a Party Zone. On a STTNG, I found a loose male pin when I was wigging the wires.

#7 7 years ago

Thanks to everyone. Turned out to be a horrible attempt by the previous owner to replace the pins on J115. The board was badly burned and the traces had lifted on almost half of the pins. This would explain the hack I found where a connector was soldered in the middle of the board to bypass the GI fuses and J115.

Some lengthy surgery later and all GI are up and running. However, based on the condition of the board and traces at J115 I'm leary how long my repair will hold out.

#8 7 years ago

Did you "stitch" the through-holes. If so it should last forever.

#9 7 years ago

If by stitch you mean running a wire through the hole then yes.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 40.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gis-gi-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.