(Topic ID: 197993)

Girlfriends, Pinball & those annoying couch cushions rant

By tomdrum

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pillow-Fights-Girls (resized).jpg
    pillowfights-girls (resized).jpg
    pinwife (resized).jpg
    DSCN9936 (resized).JPG
    dam-breaking (resized).jpg
    Capture d’écran 2017-09-22 à 05.38.52 (resized).png
    stupid pillows (resized).JPG
    cant use bed too many pillows (resized).JPG
    Womanese-explained (resized).png
    There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 6 years ago

Married, divorced, and bought my dream log house. Have a game room which has 4 working pins, the ever changing project pin, 2 video games and a pool table. Meet my current significant other 12 years ago. At that time I used a spare bedroom to hold 6 working Gottlieb EM's. She wanted closet space so I sold / traded them. Gottlieb Atlantis for Black Knight, very cool, still own and love it. Now that room has multiple clothes storage assemblies, at last count she has over 400 pieces on hangers just in that room. Well, you have to adapt. After dealing with the 12 bed cushions which are placed and removed on a daily basis, 4 on every couch, and now the dozen on the deck furniture. It seems we need more seating in the game room now. Since we have a maximum of 10-12 guests ever, it's an issue to her. She wants 1 pinball, zero video , another couch and obviously more stupid pillows. This is why I will never re-marry. Can't wait to go to the York Show.

#2 6 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

She wants 1 pinball, zero video , another couch and obviously more stupid pillows.

We're gonna miss her.

LTG : )

#4 6 years ago

My wife and I have both bed previously divorced so we are both in our second marriages. We have both worked hard all our lives. She moved in sometime around 2009. When she moved in I had no pinball machines (my ex hated them), no video games and toy wise, nothing at all really apart from a big TV. By 2011 we had 3 pinball machines and one 60 in 1 game console. She eased me in to owning toys. Now, we have 9 pinball machines where I want our new kitchen, A Spa in our bedroom deck, every game console made including a racing seat that we put in front of the bigger screen tv for driving games. Our home is half renovated with a kitchen that is falling apart and this does not bother her at all. The last 7 years of my life has truly been the absolute best ever.

There are plenty of beautiful women in the world and I am sure there is one that is just right for you. You have to be honest and open to it. My wife is the best!

#5 6 years ago

Sounds like my ex. I literally had 3 square feet of closet and 2 dresser drawers. She had 2 huge closets full of shit she hadn't worn in 20 years. I got a asteroids machine and put in the junk room that she had piles of crap on top of a treadmill. She had a fit. I don't miss her at all.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

I don't miss her at all.

Looking at your avatar I dont see why you would miss her.

#7 6 years ago

I met my wife in an arcade some 35 years ago. We just celebrated our 30th two days ago and she is great. Could not ask for more. Perhaps a TBL would be cool.

#8 6 years ago

Typical married BS. Find a cool one, they are out there...........tough luck.

#9 6 years ago

If you do decide to keep her , build a man cave designated for your stuff only. If you have the land, a garage type outbuilding works well. You and your friends can hang there and visit her when/if you want.

#10 6 years ago

Find someone who tolerates your crazy and supports you. Might take a while. Might take a couple of marriages, but it’s worth the search.

Marc

#11 6 years ago

Those "stupid" pillows are actually handy smothering devices. You've been warned.

#12 6 years ago

I'm glad I married a man, very few pillows and a great gob of pinballs! YaY

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

She wants 1 pinball, zero video , another couch and obviously more stupid pillows

The sex better be good, or get out now before a ring is the next demand she insists on.

#14 6 years ago

The weaker sex? haha.

#15 6 years ago

In reality, it's probably just regular 'ol crackers..............

#16 6 years ago

Why not own more pins , hold all but one in storage, and rotate them in and out..... always keeping "the one" in the living space.?

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

We're gonna miss her.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from roc-noc:

If you do decide to keep her , build a man cave designated for your stuff only. If you have the land, a garage type outbuilding works well. You and your friends can hang there and visit her when/if you want.

My basement is my "Man Cave" and the deal when she moved in was that she could decorate every room in the house as she pleased. My basement was off limits. UNTOUCHABLE. Now after she's put her stamp on every room (and they really look much nicer than I ever would of imagined or cared) the basement is the "Final Frontier". After she hauled the dainty new porch furniture into the basement for winter storage and placed it the pinball restoration area the line in the sand was drawn. I hauled it all to my storage unit and pulled another project game. Ironically the only game she's ever played more than once is Space Invaders. Hates my Xenon & Black Knight, must be the speech! On the plus side she is the only woman I've ever met who enjoys football as much as I do and will sit in the rain at Penn State football games without a problem. We're 20 minutes from the stadium.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

On the plus side she is the only woman I've ever met who enjoys football as much as I do and will sit in the rain at Penn State football games without a problem.

They have drugs that can help with that urge now. Jes sayin...

#20 6 years ago

I gave my wife the same speech "the upstairs is yours....garage and basement are mine". She tried to take over the basement ONCE. I quickly squashed it and she backed off. She still has urges to decorate down there but brings home Harley Davidson or my favorite sports team swag so I don't mind.

Time to stand your ground Sir.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from davijc02:

Time to stand your ground Sir.

#22 6 years ago

I'm lucky. I have WoZ sitting in my dining room because I ran out of space in the 4th bedroom while I finish the basement.

#24 6 years ago

My games are at my shop. I was told I could put them in the basement, but our Brooklyn house has 6 foot ceilings down there, an ancient floor, and is often humid. The back boxes would have to fit between the floor joists somehow. One day it may get dug out and finished... For now I get to play on my breaks at work!

#25 6 years ago

What makes our hobbies or passions any more important than those of our significant others? While you might not see a point in extra couch cushions or scrapbooking supplies, it doesn't mean that your spouse, girlfriend, or boyfriend doesn't love them as much as you love your pinball machines. The "man cave" mentality is dangerous. To create a space that isn't shared with your significant other in a home where you live together...that's really odd.

Put your significant others, kids, and friends (and any living being, really) ahead of any possessions and life will be better. I promise that. If my wife came to me and said, "you know, you have more than 20 of these pinball and arcade machines. Don't you think we could do with 5?" we could have a discussion on that. If it's because she doesn't have space for her things, then I've been in the wrong to fill my house with this stuff without proper regard for her wants and needs. If it's because she can't understand why I want so many, we can talk about it and I can explain. Thing is, I know it won't come to that because as she allows me to have my space and passions, I do the same for her. If one should encroach on the other, you work it out. There's no "I AM PUTTING MY FOOT DOWN!" That's caring more for stuff than people.

Kids hoard their toys and keep them from their siblings. Let's be a bit more mature than that.

And really...do any of us NEED any of these things? They're great, but a great companion in life is far more important and enjoyable.

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

What makes our hobbies or passions any more important than those of our significant others? While you might not see a point in extra couch cushions or scrapbooking supplies, it doesn't mean that your spouse, girlfriend, or boyfriend doesn't love them as much as you love your pinball machines. The "man cave" mentality is dangerous. To create a space that isn't shared with your significant other in a home where you live together...that's really odd.
    Put your significant others, kids, and friends (and any living being, really) ahead of any possessions and life will be better. I promise that. If my wife came to me and said, "you know, you have more than 20 of these pinball and arcade machines. Don't you think we could do with 5?" we could have a discussion on that. If it's because she doesn't have space for her things, then I've been in the wrong to fill my house with this stuff without proper regard for her wants and needs. If it's because she can't understand why I want so many, we can talk about it and I can explain. Thing is, I know it won't come to that because as she allows me to have my space and passions, I do the same for her. If one should encroach on the other, you work it out. There's no "I AM PUTTING MY FOOT DOWN!" That's caring more for stuff than people.
    Kids hoard their toys and keep them from their siblings. Let's be a bit more mature than that.
    And really...do any of use NEED any of these things? They're great, but a great companion in life is far more important and enjoyable.

Very well said

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

And really...do any of use NEED any of these things? They're great, but a great companion in life is far more important and enjoyable.

Thought his lady has the whole house with the exception of the basement and now she is trying to take that over. The man's only space is being threatened. They need to nip it in the bud. Everyone is entitled to a place in their own house where they can unwind and be themselves. I love my wife and have been with her for over 15 years but she needs her space and I need mine. There was a great philosophical play I read in college by Sartre called No Exit that is about the worst thing imaginable is being stuck in a room with your friends for all eternity.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

They're great, but a great companion in life is far more important and enjoyable.

If that's what he wants, ok. I believe that relationships should be built on honesty, mutual interests and mutual respect. If you can't respect the interests of your partner, then you are no longer partners. Either hash out a compromise or get ready to have an unhappy relationship that is probably destined for dissolution. This goes both ways, of course. Life is too short to spend your closest relationship buried in resentment.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

I disagree. We are not married, I own the house and make the mortgage payments. The "man cave" is a space she also enjoys playing pool. I let her have every other space to decorate as she pleases. But to suggest I reduce my pins from 4-5 to one and dump my videos for more seating for a once or twice a year gathering for her family is nuts. Love the woman but I've been playing pinball for 45 years and had games long before we meet. She has backed off after I hauled her stuff away to storage she stuck in my "restoration area" and will probably let it lie till she feels it's time to push me again. We've discussed this at length and she thinks it's nuts to spend 2 hours replacing tiny electrical connectors to get a vintage Bally working.

#30 6 years ago

My wife complains every time I bring a new game home.

So I've learned to only buy games when she's out of town.

She travels every 90 days or so.

Life is good.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Life is good.

That's awesome!

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Life is good.

She comments every time I buy parts. Even though her money is hers and mine is mine. Now I buy when she's in bed, less grief.

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Life is good.

I've done that with three bingos and a three slot machines.
    Sure honey, have fun with your gf's golfing over the weekend......

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Life is good.

My wife told me if I come back from expo with a game, I better bring divorce papers. I told her to stop by Walgreens and pick up a few Flair pens cause she's gonna need them.

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

We're gonna miss her.

^^^^^^^ A Pinside Gold post by LTG.

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

She wants 1 pinball, zero video , another couch and obviously more stupid pillows. This is why I will never re-marry. Can't wait to go to the York Show.

Quoted from tomdrum:

But to suggest I reduce my pins from 4-5 to one and dump my videos for more seating for a once or twice a year gathering for her family is nuts. Love the woman but I've been playing pinball for 45 years and had games long before we meet. She has backed off after I hauled her stuff away to storage she stuck in my "restoration area" and will probably let it lie till she feels it's time to push me again. We've discussed this at length and she thinks it's nuts to spend 2 hours replacing tiny electrical connectors to get a vintage Bally working.

Gotta pick your battles. Know when to give in, and when to stand strong.
    Sounds like you already know about this sorta stuff.
    Womanese-explained (resized).pngWomanese-explained (resized).png

#37 6 years ago

Tomdrum,

Somewhere along the way it became lost to her that pinball and arcades are really important to you. It's important enough that you came here to vent to people who share your passion. Communication is hard. Hopefully you can find a way to let her know this is really important to you. Furthermore, hopefully she will respect it.

Also, if you catch a flight in the next hour or two, you can make my tournament today! We would love to have you join us. I've had a briskit on all night and the party starts at 1:00 Central.

https://pinside.com/pinball/events/red-river-replay-2017

#38 6 years ago

Communication is the key, but it is often muddled by outside.forces.
    Right now, with the hurricane, my pins are everywhere.
    Lisa has been a trooper for the most part, but the gang of comments I'm up against come from Facebook.... people we have never met.
    They relate as over 50, mostly bitter, divorced women with dogs
    Over and over, " MAKE him sell it's YOUR house!"
    I end up battling strangers with it's OUR house.
    I can't begin to share the evil thoughts people share as "advice"

Needless to say, I hate Facebook!, And she hates when I call it out.

#39 6 years ago

The pinball bitching started about the same time as menopause. For those of you with a woman under 45, it's something in your future!

#40 6 years ago

She also thinks my 1970 Schwinn Orange Krate is a compete waste of space in the gameroom.

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

The pinball bitching started about the same time as menopause. For those of you with a woman under 45, it's something in your future!

125,000 Percent true.

#42 6 years ago

Orange Krate, that is fantastic, always wanted one. Did get a '69 Pea Shooter for a song at the Hershey car show back in the '80's that cleaned up nice.

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

We're gonna miss her.

Nope.

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from pintechev:

Might take a couple of marriages, but it’s worth the search.

It's worth the search, but damn sure isn't worth a couple of marriages. Ugh...

#45 6 years ago

Sunday Sep 17th (yesterday) was National Wife Appreciation Day.

I hope you married guys did something extra nice for your wife and didn't forget.

It was also Natl Apple Dumpling Day on Sep 17, 2017.

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from browbeeter:

Orange Krate, that is fantastic, always wanted one. Did get a '69 Pea Shooter for a song at the Hershey car show back in the '80's that cleaned up nice.

Got mine at the Carlisle Car show in 1990, all original except the new seat for $350. The green model was a Pea Picker.

#47 6 years ago

Well, 12 yr relationship, no marriage, your place; it's your place and your rules... unless you can't handle no easy sex. That's usually the killer for us guys; easy relationship sex makes you put up with more than is right.

#48 6 years ago

You are correct, I don't know why I slipped up there, must be getting old. Mine is also original, but the seat has a small tear, paid $90. The other one I always wanted was the Lemon Peeler. They were all the same except color, but the orange one was the hottest.

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

National Wife Appreciation Day.

#50 6 years ago

Honestly this entire thread made me really sad. Have you sat down and discussed expectations of space and money and all the things that should probably be talked about after a 12 year relationship? I assume she's living with you. So you built a cabin for you, she comes along, and she probably wants to make some of the space hers. No one wants to feel like they're squatting in their s/o 's house, or in their own house really!

Whenever she makes a suggestion that you disagree with, you need to say, ok, let's talk about this stuff. And talk about it not just what she's suggesting, but about the entire point of the hobby. If she wants more room for her hobbies, even if her hobbies are clothes or whatever, then can that happen without impinging upon your hobby? Does she understand that pinball is a stress reliever for you?

I am really lucky in that my wife and I are on board about discussing things like this, before they become sore spots. I have my own office and my own pinball basement gameroom, and she has her own third-floor sewing "studio". But we got to this place because every time she said something about pinball, she was really saying "Hey, there's something I want, and I think you don't know that because you're playing and buying pinball like crazy instead of talking to me about it"

There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/girlfriends-pinball-those-annoying-couch-cushions-rant?hl=joncrox and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.