a15048710022067178368 (resized).jpg
sexpistols_nevermind_cd_lg (resized).jpg
IMG_2394 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0661 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
Trout_Mask_Replica (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0217 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cooke.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#184 6 years ago

Genesis - Selling England by the Pound

Yes - Close to the Edge

Rush - Fly by Night

DSOTM, obviously. I only wish I could hear it again for the first time.

And for something completely different, try this one:
https://juliamassey.bandcamp.com/album/five-letters-from-far-away

No way you can get through the first track without agreeing that it's a great tune. The whole album is amazing, start to finish.

#185 6 years ago
Quoted from SR230CC:

AC/DC - Powerage
I'm a huge fan. Thought I was blown away by all their albums I heard before. To me this one is perfect and very underated.

Totally agree with this. I wore out my Powerage cassette. I had to buy it again.

#204 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I know most of you guys only like music that's 50+ years old, but for your own good, you should check out the new LCD Soundsystem - American Dream.
Normally the #1 album in the USA is by a little girl, an oversized cowboy hat or a black guy in a jogging suit.
But this week, the top album is LCD Soundsystem!
(screen shot as proof):

A perfect disc that is only a few days old.......this is your chance to enjoy a CURRENT and RELEVANT artist........you have not done that in what, 40 years?
This album drips with flavors of Bowie, Eno and Echo, but can laugh at itself.

» YouTube video

I agree with this. LCD Soundsystem is a recent discovery for me. Sound of Silver is another amazing album from front to back.

#208 6 years ago

Phantogram - Eyelid Movies. Such a great album. I don't know what the hell they're doing with their newer stuff, but this was pure perfection:

#237 6 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

I know I'm going to get crap for this one...but Jagged Little Pill.

Won't get crap from me. That album is pure 90's gold.

Thanks to this thread, I've been enjoying some Clutch that I had forgotten all about, so thanks for that to whoever mentioned them. And I also listened to a couple Ghost albums today. It's pretty interesting, but not totally my thing.

A couple more really good electronic-based albums/bands that I've discovered recently are Chvrches - The Bones of What you Believe:

And The Do - Shake, Shook, Shaken:

#318 6 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

My brother is 10 years older than I am. I would go into his room when he wasn't home and play his albums. This is one I played a lot!

O M G

JOE WALSH made the PERFECT album for late summer/fall in "But Seriously, Folks..." It's like a warm blanket on a cool day. Brings a tear to my eye just thinking about that album. Excellent addition to this thread.

Also, here's my favorite coffee mug:

15058283839081022551590 (resized).jpg15058283839081022551590 (resized).jpg

#365 6 years ago

Totally agree with this one, but I prefer the original album cover. Waters is a genius. Going to see him for the billionth time on October 13th. Can't wait.

For what it's worth, The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking, Amused to Death and his most recent release, Is This the Life We Really Want are all excellent and perfect to me. I know a lot of people aren't into the Final Cut because they think it's basically a Waters solo album, but it remains one of my favourite Floyd albums also. I obsessed over that album for much of my teen years.

Pros (resized).jpgPros (resized).jpgAmused-to-Death (resized).jpgAmused-to-Death (resized).jpgLife (resized).jpgLife (resized).jpgFinal (resized).jpgFinal (resized).jpg

#367 6 years ago

Also, I don't want to sound like the stereotypical Canadian, but these were pretty life-changing albums for me. Perfection is a good word for them. I don't think Trouble at the Henhouse left my car's CD player for six months in the Summer/Fall of 1996. I've ruined (from use and abuse) and repurchased several copies of that particular album.

I also want to point out that there's a whole lot of shit in the Hip catalog. But these albums are all gold.

Henhouse (resized).jpgHenhouse (resized).jpg

Dayfornight (resized).jpgDayfornight (resized).jpg

phantom (resized).jpgphantom (resized).jpg

#394 6 years ago

I stand firmly behind this classic. It's quirky and fun and full of perfection:

gordon (resized).jpggordon (resized).jpg

#485 6 years ago
Quoted from Underspin:

I've seen License to Ill and Check Your Head mentioned but the best and most influential of all BBoy's albums was actually Paul's Boutique. It set the stage for what BBoys were to become which was a hell of a lot more than party rap. If you're a fan of BBoys I HIGHLY SUGGEST you listen to public radio KEXP Seatle's retrospective on the album. They played every song that was sampled and went into some deep discussions regarding the band and the "new" direction. I was so impressed that I donated. The show is several hours long but believe me time will fly when you listen to it:
http://blog.kexp.org/kexp-steps-inside-pauls-boutique-on-friday-july-24/

KEXP deserves every penny that people donate. It is the best radio station in the world, hands down.

Two more contributions to this thread:

Yeralbum (resized).jpgYeralbum (resized).jpg

Rides again (resized).jpgRides again (resized).jpg

Both of these albums are absolutely perfect. Trio rock n' roll from '69 and '70 with a very young Joe Walsh. If you've never heard anything from these albums aside from Funk #49, do yourself a favour and give them a try. The gritty hammond organ on "Tend my Garden" is pure gold.

1 year later
#638 5 years ago

Recently discovered The Beths from New Zealand. Check out this shining example of modern indie power pop with awesome female lead vocals (with a charming NZ accent) and some really great melodies and backing vocals.

Try out the title track, "Not Running" and "Little Death" for a good sampling, but seriously, the whole album is totally amazing from start to finish.
https://thebethsnz.bandcamp.com/

Beths (resized).jpgBeths (resized).jpg
1 week later
#642 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I D/L the whole disc.
Pretty great find, catchy as all hell.

FINALLY someone gets it!

1 week later
#653 5 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

This is your fault.
[quoted image]

Ha! That's great! I'm fully obsessed with that album at this point. Trying to find someone to go with me to see them in Toronto in February, but none of my friends have any taste.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cooke.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gimmie-a-perfect-album?tu=cooke and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.