91cdfR03HkL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg
71Q2D-XDOaL._SL1200_ (resized).jpg
289179 (resized).jpg
thesadies-1024x1024 (resized).jpeg
685fb40fde7e1e414ccfaf995ae94ce2 (resized).jpg
mbid-bd244f62-cb82-4afa-8b14-22e7d9055834-16663819150 (resized).jpg
a15048710022067178368 (resized).jpg
sexpistols_nevermind_cd_lg (resized).jpg
There are 862 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 18.
#201 6 years ago

For the Rap fans:
2 Pac "All eyez on me"
&
NWA "Straight outta Compton"

#202 6 years ago

I know most of you guys only like music that's 50+ years old, but for your own good, you should check out the new LCD Soundsystem - American Dream.

Normally the #1 album in the USA is by a little girl, an oversized cowboy hat or a black guy in a jogging suit.

But this week, the top album is LCD Soundsystem!

(screen shot as proof):

number-one (resized).jpgnumber-one (resized).jpg

A perfect disc that is only a few days old.......this is your chance to enjoy a CURRENT and RELEVANT artist........you have not done that in what, 40 years?

This album drips with flavors of Bowie, Eno and Echo, but can laugh at itself.

LCD_Soundsystem_-_American_Dream_cover_art (resized).jpgLCD_Soundsystem_-_American_Dream_cover_art (resized).jpg

#203 6 years ago

Led Zeppelin's first album
Beatles - Abbey Road
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon & Wish You Were Here
Boston's first album

How's that for 40+ years Vid?

#204 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I know most of you guys only like music that's 50+ years old, but for your own good, you should check out the new LCD Soundsystem - American Dream.
Normally the #1 album in the USA is by a little girl, an oversized cowboy hat or a black guy in a jogging suit.
(screen shot as proof):

A perfect disc that is only a few days old.......this is your chance to enjoy a CURRENT and RELEVANT artist........you have not done that in what, 40 years?

» YouTube video

I agree with this. LCD Soundsystem is a recent discovery for me. Sound of Silver is another amazing album from front to back.

#205 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

When you look at perfect albums, you need them time to be judged and looked back upon to see if it's timeless or stuck forever in the period it was produced.

It's possible, in 30 years, this will be judged a perfect album.

#206 6 years ago

Here's 5, there's more.

slayer-reign-in-blood (resized).jpgslayer-reign-in-blood (resized).jpg

a071914720568aefae0b8b489fdef974_1000x1000x1 (resized).jpga071914720568aefae0b8b489fdef974_1000x1000x1 (resized).jpg

Black-Sabbath-Paranoid (resized).jpgBlack-Sabbath-Paranoid (resized).jpg

mercyful_fate_melissa_1500x1496px_120619142505_2 (resized).jpgmercyful_fate_melissa_1500x1496px_120619142505_2 (resized).jpg

judas_priest_painkiller (resized).jpgjudas_priest_painkiller (resized).jpg

#207 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

(screen shot as proof):

» YouTube video

spot on, the new album is truly perfect

#208 6 years ago

Phantogram - Eyelid Movies. Such a great album. I don't know what the hell they're doing with their newer stuff, but this was pure perfection:

#209 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

LCD Soundsystem

You could easily put 1983 on that albums release date and know one would know the difference so ur theory regarding new music doesn't work here, I love the 80's so I'm not saying its a bad thing but the music isn't all that great, just better than the normal trash we get today. JMO

#210 6 years ago

it was the end of the true hip hop era, and by far their best work before they split. We will never hear anything as smooth as this album ever again.

220px-The-Love-Movement-Cover (resized).jpg220px-The-Love-Movement-Cover (resized).jpg

#211 6 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

When you look at perfect albums, you need them time to be judged and looked back upon to see if it's timeless or stuck forever in the period it was produced.

It's possible, in 30 years, this will be judged a perfect album.

Exactly.

You know when you fist get an album and you hate 4 of the tracks? And after a while, those bad tracks start to grow on you?

American Dream is not that album.

Every track is instantly enjoyable. And the more I listen to it these last few weeks, the more I "get it".

Think of when you first heard Hot Fuss by The Killers. You didn't keep pressing the NEXT button with fatigue, you let each song play out because it was great songcraft.

I'll stand by my assessment of perfect album - in 30 years you can all curse my ghost if I'm wrong.

#212 6 years ago

Here are several:

Beck: Midnite Vultures
Pink Floyd: Meddle
Radiohead: Kid A

61NeLoEBN-L (resized).jpg61NeLoEBN-L (resized).jpg

MI0003237418 (resized).jpgMI0003237418 (resized).jpg

51Kglx9aQ+L (resized).jpg51Kglx9aQ+L (resized).jpg

#213 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Exactly.
You know when you fist get an album and you hate 4 of the tracks? And after a while, those bad tracks start to grow on you?
American Dream is not that album.
Every track is instantly enjoyable. And the more I listen to it these last few weeks, the more I "get it".
Think of when you first heard Hot Fuss by The Killers. You didn't keep pressing the NEXT button with fatigue, you let each song play out because it was great songcraft.
I'll stand by my assessment of perfect album - in 30 years you can all curse my ghost if I'm wrong.

Call the Police, sounds like a rip off of The Cure.

My friend just gave me that album to listen too and I haven't had time to do that yet, so we will see how perfect it is.

Frankly I think the new Foo Fighters album is pretty solid from beginning to end, for a new modern album.

#214 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

(screen shot as proof):

» YouTube video

I feel like I'm in deep in my 80s playlist! I do love the 80s songs but the majority of that is not "album music". We could do a whole thread of "80s songs" and it would be great, for what it is.

Its OK stuff, but sorry for me doesn't even come close.

Still waiting to hear anything from the last 7 years (20-teens) that is something really good.

#215 6 years ago

Stuck in the 70's...

Supertramp- Crime of the Century
Cars- First Album
Cheap Trick- Heaven Tonight
Allman Brothers- Live at the Filmore East

#216 6 years ago

Ok- no one seems to like the current "perfect albums" so I am throwing this one in the ring.

"TOY" by A Giant Dog.

Out last month and I don't know how they do it. The band just put a damn fine album out last year, the two principles of the band have another band that also put out an album last year, (three albums in two years is unheard of nowadays) and they constantly non-stop tour with both. Blistering rock that doesn't shy away from sex or drugs, dark introspective songs, fun poppier numbers, this band is my favorite current rock band.

Some sample lyrics for the second link, a perfect dirty little love song, because I think Vid will appreciate them

"I want to stare at you like a photograph
I want to make you cum if you can make me laugh,
spin you upside down like a rodeo between the sheets.

hangin' in a house that's cold, the mirror says you're gettin' old
I wanna see you with your saggy tits, I want to see you with your jeans all split
I wanna kiss you with your teeth all rot, and all your memories have been forgot,
I wanna see you with your saggy tits, I want to see you with your jeans all split

#217 6 years ago

A brilliant album you won't like on the first listen is Metric - Live It Out (2006).

With strange rhythms that only Neil Pert could love, Metric is everything that Garbage could never be.

Catchy, but always with something that is just not quite right. A tasty meat from a street vendor, that just might be starting to spoil.

zzzzMetric6 (resized).jpgzzzzMetric6 (resized).jpg

Promiscuous makes an entrance
Her mouth is full of questions
Are we all brides to be?
Or are we all designed to be confined?
Buy ourselves chastity belts and lock them
Organize our lives and lose the key

Our faces all resemble dying roses
From trying to fix it
When instead we should break it
We've got to break it before it breaks us

Fear of pretty houses and their porches
Fear of biological wrist watches
Fear of comparison shopping
Dogs on leashes behind fences barking
Pretty little pillows on floral couches
Until our faces all resemble dying roses

Stop trying to fix it

Patriarch on a Vespa
Runs a red and ends up
Crushed under the wheels

#218 6 years ago

Haven't seen this mentioned yet:

220px-MilesDavisKindofBlue (resized).jpg220px-MilesDavisKindofBlue (resized).jpg

#219 6 years ago

Clutch: Blast Tyrant
Killer from start to finish

#220 6 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Still waiting to hear anything from the last 7 years (20-teens) that is something really good.

In what genre?

Blues, Metal, Hard Rock, Pop, Dance, Country, Rap, Urban ?

#221 6 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

You are welcome

ghostmeli (resized).jpgghostmeli (resized).jpg

#222 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

In what genre?
Blues, Metal, Hard Rock, Pop, Dance, Country, Rap, Urban ?

In general I like to classify the best music as being the best and not have to put in a genre. I like some stuff in all those genres. I just don't recall hearing anything that is new that stands out.

Also, I resent being called old and only liking old stuff. Along those lines, here is one I haven't seen mentioned yet

GF (resized).jpgGF (resized).jpg

#223 6 years ago

and also.............

220px-ZZ_Top_-_Tres_Hombres (resized).jpg220px-ZZ_Top_-_Tres_Hombres (resized).jpg

#224 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I'll start the game off with a truly perfect disc, Robin Trower's Bridge of Sighs.
8 perfect songs, perfectly mixed, if you have good headphones this is the place to try them out.
The whole disc is tuned down to Eb, so Trower gets his "evil Jimi Hendrix" vibe going full bore.

» YouTube video

Going back to your original, in 1976 I went to see Robin Trower at the Orange Show in San Bernardino (with Gary Wright LOL). I got a spot about 10 feet from him for the whole show, which of course was awesome. I also was about 6 feet from one of the giant speakers. My ears rang for days after that one, I'm pretty sure I rolled a a few kHz off the top of my hearing range from that one.

#225 6 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

I just don't recall hearing anything that is new that stands out.

Quoted from xsvtoys:

Also, I resent being called old and only liking old stuff.

Ummmmm...if you don't like anything new, why would you resent someone saying that you only like old stuff?

#226 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Ummmmm...if you don't like anything new, why would you resent someone saying that you only like old stuff?

Joking Vid, joking. Smiley face combined with Grand Funk album from 1969 was supposed to indicate that.

#227 6 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

I just don't recall hearing anything that is new that stands out.

A great 2012 album with no bad tracks would be Gary Clark Jr. "Blak and Blu"

Not another white guy trying to pretend he's black, GCJ plays those Texas Blues and Soul tracks with his own brand of swagger.

GCJ playing is so big, he needs two drummers to hold the beat.

MI0003491949 (resized).jpgMI0003491949 (resized).jpg

#228 6 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Shining - Blackjazz (2010):

Kvelertak - Kvelertak (2010):

Spidergawd - III (2016):

...and I'll end with A Pacific Sonata, a track from The Tower by Motorpsycho, which is the perfect album I mentioned earlier in the thread. This one track is a multi-course meal in itself, and it takes a bit to get started, but here goes:

#229 6 years ago

Kvelertak, nice!!

#230 6 years ago

Saga Worlds Apart (resized).jpgSaga Worlds Apart (resized).jpg

#231 6 years ago

Am, I doing this right?

MI0001397622 (resized).jpgMI0001397622 (resized).jpg

#232 6 years ago

Rush Permanent Waves (resized).jpgRush Permanent Waves (resized).jpg

#233 6 years ago

Aja qualifies, if it's your thing.

#234 6 years ago

I know I'm going to get crap for this one...but Jagged Little Pill.

#235 6 years ago

Maybe I missed them in this long and awesome list, but don't remember seeing any of these gems:

Put a glide in your stride, a dip in your hip and come onto the Mothership
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

My Life In the Bush of Ghosts. Somewhat off the beaten path perfection.
bush of ghosts (resized).pngbush of ghosts (resized).png

Rain Dogs. Say no more. Master Tom at his best.
rain dogs (resized).pngrain dogs (resized).png

I don't think they were ever as good again as this first album which is damn perfect.
trinity session (resized).pngtrinity session (resized).png

#236 6 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Am, I doing this right?

Um... we need to talk...

#237 6 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

I know I'm going to get crap for this one...but Jagged Little Pill.

Won't get crap from me. That album is pure 90's gold.

Thanks to this thread, I've been enjoying some Clutch that I had forgotten all about, so thanks for that to whoever mentioned them. And I also listened to a couple Ghost albums today. It's pretty interesting, but not totally my thing.

A couple more really good electronic-based albums/bands that I've discovered recently are Chvrches - The Bones of What you Believe:

And The Do - Shake, Shook, Shaken:

#238 6 years ago

Deep Purple - Machine Head

#239 6 years ago
Quoted from RatShack:

Deep Purple - Machine Head

Also, Deep Purple - In Rock

#240 6 years ago
Quoted from ZeldaOoT:

Kim Carnes- Romance Dance

I like this w/Rod Stewart:

#241 6 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

I like this w/Rod Stewart

This is a perfect album with Rod Stewart.

220px-Jeff_Beck-Truth (resized).jpg220px-Jeff_Beck-Truth (resized).jpg

#242 6 years ago

Avenged Sevenfold - self titled

Five Finger Death Punch - war is the answer

Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced

Grateful Dead - American Beauty

Metallica - Black Album

Jimmy Page and the Black Crowe's - Live at the geek

Green Day - American Idiot

Frank Zappa - Joe's Garage

Eric Clapton - Slow Hand

Alice Cooper - Welcome to my Nightmare

My Chemical Romance - the Black Parade.

Skid Row

Rollins Band - Weight

Hope these help. There are several more.

#243 6 years ago

There are just so many, but I'll throw a few of my favs that haven't been mentioned into the mix. My tastes are all over the place.

I love threads like this. Go straight to Spotify and add stuff to listen to later. Special thanks to Chisox for mentioning Minutemen's Double Nickles on the Dime in the vinyl thread awhile back. Completely blew me away dude!

1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg
2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg
3 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg
4 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg
5 (resized).jpg5 (resized).jpg
6 (resized).jpg6 (resized).jpg
7.1 (resized).jpg7.1 (resized).jpg
7 (resized).jpg7 (resized).jpg
9 (resized).jpg9 (resized).jpg
10 (resized).jpg10 (resized).jpg
11.1 (resized).jpg11.1 (resized).jpg
11 (resized).jpg11 (resized).jpg
12 (resized).jpg12 (resized).jpg
13 (resized).jpg13 (resized).jpg
8 (resized).jpg8 (resized).jpg

#244 6 years ago

R-1887040-1441182196-8510.jpeg (resized).jpgR-1887040-1441182196-8510.jpeg (resized).jpg

#245 6 years ago

How bout a progressive metal album that looks like a hair metal album, that completely rips!

cover_333962222014_r (resized).jpgcover_333962222014_r (resized).jpg

#246 6 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

How bout a progressive metal album that looks like a hair metal album, that completely rips!

Oh and these guys became Trans Siberian Orchestra!

#247 6 years ago

Not a bad song on this one.

Pink_Floyd-Animals-Frontal (resized).jpgPink_Floyd-Animals-Frontal (resized).jpg

#248 6 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

I don't think they were ever as good again as this first album which is damn perfect.

Ohh....the Trinity Sessions...yesss.... perfect. Black Eyed Man was pretty perfect too. I used to refer to those as "the panty melters" cause throw it on and watch em melt off---guaranteed.
Did you ever pick up Trinity Revisited? 20 years later they went back to that same church, with some pals. Go ahead and yuck it up fucksticks but the Margot Timmins/Natalie Merchant version of "To Love is to Bury" is the only song I shed a tear every, single, goddamn time I hear it. Heartbreaker.

Yup. Couldn't make it 10 seconds without sniffling. Every. Damn. Time.

#249 6 years ago

OK I'm in the mood for a run.

FlightOfTheCosmicHippo (resized).jpgFlightOfTheCosmicHippo (resized).jpg

#250 6 years ago

Every album I ever owned was perfect... for rolling joints on.

There are 862 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gimmie-a-perfect-album/page/5?hl=waderade812 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.