Gilligans Island ( Thoughts )

By criss

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

Anyone have any thoughts re Gilligans Island ?

Is the game play , flow ect good .

Any and all input from those that have played it would be a big help

Cheers

#2 12 years ago

I don't like it.Don't have normal multiball.You can get it only lukcy with two balls.Poor gameplay for me,not interesting-only shoot 6 different targets to play for milions and that's it.Not seprate modes(games) like start trek,demolition man,indiana jones,like the newest pinballs.I think it's pinball for little kids with simple rules

#3 12 years ago

Honestly it is the worst pinball that I have ever played. Won't play it even for free. Run away from this one. Sorry if this is offensive to any fan of the game (can't imagine there being any) but the thread asked for an opinion.

#4 12 years ago

#5 12 years ago

I love the theme, but the gameplay ranks on the low end of all the Williams/Bally DMDs for me. The rotating disc with the different passageways is kind of cool, but I find the ruleset quite lackluster. I also didn't notice much flow to it.

If I lucked into one for the right price, I'd still take it in, as I really do like the theme. I used to watch re-runs of the TV show all the time when I was a kid. One other big bummer is that the actress who played Ginger would not let Williams/Bally use her likeness in the art.

#6 12 years ago

Played it for the first time a couple of weeks ago and I really disliked it. Boring pin with poor layout and flow. Sound on game is also really annoying.

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from criss:

Anyone have any thoughts re Gilligans Island

I think they could have used the skippers fat butt for a floation device and made it back to the main land in time to catch Barney Miller!

#8 12 years ago

The game may be good but I don't really know. Because of the annoying sound track I have to disengage my brain when playing it, otherwise my head would explode!

#9 12 years ago

People often rip on Popeye, but it's 1000 times better than Gilligan's Island.

#10 12 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

People often rip on Popeye, but it's 1000 times better than Gilligan's Island.

+1

#11 12 years ago

Don't be fooled by your first few games. The theme is great if you like GI (I do), the rotating ramp is one of the greatest "toys" ever...it's deceiving. This is the worst DMD era pin, hands down. It is not worth the trouble to move it. Read my ratings page on this one.

I swap pins quite a bit but this one holds the record for quickest in/out at 3 weeks.

#12 12 years ago

for the right price I'd buy one. But i've never played one.

#13 12 years ago

if you like it buy it

#14 12 years ago
Quoted from wesperron:

for the right price I'd buy one. But i've never played one.

I wouldn't recommend it Wes. Considering the line-up of A-listers that have been through your collection, you are not gonna like GI. The ruleset is weak, no modes, and no flow. It doesn't even have THAT much to do with the show. You'll probably just end up having to re-sell a game that nobody wants. I know everyone is different and all, but just wanted to lend a friendly pinsider to pinsider warning.

#15 12 years ago

has always had a bad Rep. but this bar tender I know swears that he loves it
-I just loved Ginger

#16 12 years ago

Personally I love the theme. Grew up watching the re-runs for years. I have never played it myself yet, but it does carry the theme well. Sure it's simple, but so was the show. Is it a keeper? Probably not, but it could be good for a few nostalgic games. More entertaining that the show is the promo video showing the games features.

It's a theme game. I have a South Park and it too is a theme game. I think it just depends on how much you liked the show. On the video, that removing the whole island part with just a screw is pretty cool. Sometimes I have to remove a ton of crap just to remove bulb. Anyways looks okay, but like I said it seems to have more of a nostalgia factor going for it.

#17 12 years ago
Quoted from MES:

I have never played it myself yet

Exactly.

Still to this day I don't care if I even play a game before I pick it up as no game is a "keeper" for me, but Gilligan's was an extremely lazy effort on the part of Bally (at least when it comes to ruleset/software).

#18 12 years ago

I played it couple of times, it's nice but wasn't really that attractive or interesting (especially when I could play TZ which was right beside it lol)

#19 12 years ago

The one in our collection is pristine, which means no one played it much when it was out in the field. Still need a motor mount for ours too, which isn't available anywhere. Keep stuff like that in mind - if it breaks, you may not be able to find a replacement.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Boards
PinSound

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gilligans-island-thoughts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.