IMG_1152 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1136 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1137 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1138 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1130 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1083 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1086 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1076 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider turnedwoods.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#26 5 years ago

5/28/18

Morning

Couple of questions and offering some support / ideas for Gilligan's Island

Cabinet on my machine has the typical fading. Now looking at having the cabinet redone, either using vinyl decals or an airbrush repaint job. Researched the vinyl decal approach, does not look like they are sold in the U.S., perhaps tied to copyright laws or maybe its just demand.

Any ideas or leads on the decals within the U.S.?

Cabinet repaint? Anyone in Northern Calif doing that?

Support to owners

I have done a couple of modifications to my machine, low cost but are high impact when it comes to appearance.

LED playfield and back box lighting upgrades - If someone is considering doing this, drop me a line and I will gladly walk you through how I did mine, where I purchased the materials and time involved.

Cabinet lighting upgrade - I created my own under the cabinet lighting system using LED strip lights. My design and I will walk you through how I did mine.

Back glass graphic - Autographed by one of the last two cast members, Dawn Wells aka MaryAnn. She was at the Stockton Asparagus Festival in 2017 as a spokesperson for ME TV and signed the graphic. She does tour the US interacting the public. Attending an event and getting a signature boosts the uniqueness of the machine. http://dawnwells.com

Eric

GI BR Pinball (resized).jpgGI BR Pinball (resized).jpg

2 months later
#30 5 years ago

Good Morning - Brief report out on Cal EX 2018 and resolution to a problem where two of the Gilligan Island lamp boards would not function.

Attended the Cal EX event on Saturday, arrived around noon. Place was packed, estimating that every machine had at least one person waiting there turn to play. Two rooms full of machines. Layout was similar to the 2017 venue. I believe that there were a few less pinball machines this year and a few more video machines, nonetheless, plenty of machines to have fun with. And in terms of Gilligans Island, just one in attendance.

Other item that may be of interest to Gilligan Island owners is how I resolved a concern in my machine where two of the lamp boards were working intermittently.

Boards in question are the 5 lamp board, Williams P/N A-14530 and the 6 lamp board, P/N A-14531.

Symptoms - one or more of the lights would not come on after the cabinet interior had been accessed or when there was a significant change in ambient temperature. Machine had been updated to LED lighting three years ago, during that event, I ensured that all of the IDC connectors were in good condition. And with the addition of LED lighting, the reliability of the lamps is much higher than the old filament style.

Disconnected and removed both boards for the machine, conducted a stand alone power test using a power supply on my bench. Idea is, apply power to common and then to each lamp, as installed. Confirmed that all lamps were functional. Worked backwards through the circuit (lamps and diodes), localized the problem to the IDC connector pins on the circuit board. Cold or failed solder joints.

Resolved the problem by re-flowing the solder joint to all of the IDC pins followed by a very light brush cleaning to remove any flux or oxidation from the pin.

Retest using a DMM followed by a power test using the bench power supply. Concern is resolved. Boards installed without further issues.

Boards in the the machines from the late 80's and at least the first few years into the 90's, all use through hole technology to mount the components as well as the connectors. A good examination of the solder joints and corresponding mounting pads on the board will reveal that the pad size is minimal and if the board is a single sided board (traces / vias only on once side of the board), there is no material in the mounting hole to build up the solder joint, typical of single sided board construction.

Summary - if you experience odd machine behaviors after accessing the cabinet or back box, which may be tied to the wiring harness being moved, even a small amount, I would take a look at the IDC connectors, both halves to look for solder joint fatigue (board side) or where the wire connection to the IDC socket may be loose. That effort involves a flashlight, maybe putting the system into a test mode and manipulating the wire harness.

Eric

4 months later
#33 5 years ago

Gilligan's Island Cabinet Decals - Several sets available on e-bay. Seller is classicarcades

Short story tied to this update. I had purchased a set of Black Rose cabinet decals from this seller, quality of the product is very good, arrived in a heavy duty map tube, easily installed on the Black Rose using the wet process. Decals are uncut, which means the installer will have some latitude to move the decal around and not worry about getting a precut edge to align up exactly with a cabinet edge.

A year later, the same seller listed the Gilligan's Island cabinet decals, licensed product, and uncut. Ordered a set, and the USPS killed the product while it was in transit from the east coast to the west coast. Tube was squished in the middle, protective end caps blown out and there was damage to the decals. The seller did replace the decal set to include covering the shipping costs. New decals are scheduled to arrive on 31 December 2018.

Good news is that if you have a scuffed up cabinet like I did, this will quickly resolve the concern without having to paint / airbrush the cabinet.

Whats in the package is the left and right side back box decals, left and right side cabinet decals and the coin door cabinet decals. Vivid colors!

Will attached images as I start to go through the installation process.

#34 5 years ago

New question for the Gilligan's Island game owners -

Looking for feedback from anyone who has installed the color display in their machine.

Details I am looking for are:

Time in hours to remove the old display and install the color display
Any concerns that required some clever work on your part doing the installation
Opinion on the display performance, any issues

I am looking at making this improvement to my machine in the next month Feb 2019

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider turnedwoods.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gilligans-island-skipper-club?tu=turnedwoods and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.