IMG_0161 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_9912 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9910 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9911 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9909 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9907 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9908 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider inferno.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#145 3 years ago

Good Day Everyone. Just picked up a GI - first time playing GI since 1992 - brings back memories. Some day I'll share in "my story" about a Gilligan's Island Pin that literally saved my life. Going through this newly acquired treasure is gonna be special.

4 months later
#163 3 years ago

I thought about starting a new thread for restoring my GI. But knowing Gilligan's Island hardly gets any respect or love from but only a few pinsiders.... I've decided to show my affection and gratitude for this pin in this thread. I've gone completely off the reservation and WAY over the top on this restoration. You will see throughout this posting, that I didn't stick with the "as it was shipped from the factory" look, as this was not my intention. I owe a debt of gratitude to other pinsiders for documenting their restoration projects which have provided much needed general guidance.

For starters, the pics below are what I started with - I bought it at an auction and it was in rough shape.
The island motor was causing the driver board to fall below voltage and the game would reset. There was a capacitor hack in place in attempt to prevent the reset from occuring but was generally super annoying and unliveable.

The display would show jibber jabber after the game heated up.

Cab graphics faded, chips scratches and dings everywhere.

No LEDs, and half the back box would not light up.

Broken plastics and ancient cracked rubbers.

Side rails dented from the back box slamming down upon them.

These were the major items....there were others but you get the idea....
38828_0 (resized).jpg38828_0 (resized).jpg38832_0 (resized).jpg38832_0 (resized).jpg38833_0 (resized).jpg38833_0 (resized).jpg38835_0 (resized).jpg38835_0 (resized).jpg

#164 3 years ago

Alrighty, "Just sit right back and you'll see a restoration...." I've been busy. Cab comes first. Here are a few b4 and afters of the inside of the lower cab. Note coin door lock bar damage, liquid damage of some type. This thing was and filthy.....In dire need of a rescue...
Ordered the nextgen graphics from the classic arcade dude on eBay. Ordered body paint to mach the blue hue of the new vinyl. Added a pin fidelity sub. Away we go on the three hour tour.

inCollage_20201101_215507503 (resized).jpginCollage_20201101_215507503 (resized).jpginCollage_20201101_221130551 (resized).jpginCollage_20201101_221130551 (resized).jpg
#166 3 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

" Did we just become best friends? "
" Yup "
quote courtesy of Stepbrothers movie

Man, I was beginnig to think I was on this island all alone... I have seen your posts and appreciate your your Gilligan enthusiasm @oldskool1969. I have a story to tell about what drew me to this game back in 1991. I'll save it for the end of the restoration posts. It will substantiate the spend.

#167 3 years ago

Here's more of the bottom cab progress

IMG_20201102_102329 (resized).jpgIMG_20201102_102329 (resized).jpg
#169 3 years ago

Funny I was looking at those last night and thinking... Hmmm... I should get them...
Good looking out. Thanks!

#170 3 years ago

Some b4 n afters of the backbox. Everything was sanded smooth filled/repaired and repainted. I switched out the black t-moulding trim for yellow trim, and likely will do something different for the speaker grills and speaker housing. The factory black housing with the chrome trim always looked out of place for me.

IMG_20201102_103109 (resized).jpgIMG_20201102_103109 (resized).jpgIMG_20201102_103345 (resized).jpgIMG_20201102_103345 (resized).jpg
#172 3 years ago

Some more progress on the backbox.

IMG_20201107_193226 (resized).jpgIMG_20201107_193226 (resized).jpg
#173 3 years ago

I was debating adding some airbrushed ship steering wheels to the speaker grills, but I lack said airbrush and the cricut or similar device to produce a stencil for this endeavor. For now I'm going to try led light rings by @litepinballmods. Outstanding customer service from Chuck over there btw. Can't wait to try them out.

Other things I've been doing include rebuilding the jet bumpers, cleaning under playfield, replacing solenoids. After which I'm going to strip the top of the play field and wax her up.
Got a ton of new metal and plastic hardware I'm going to replace up top. And... just one more item due from the powder coat shop tomorrow. Depending on progress this weekend, we're getting close.

1 week later
#174 3 years ago

Screening the back.

IMG_20201121_111545 (resized).jpgIMG_20201121_111545 (resized).jpgIMG_20201121_234957__01 (resized).jpgIMG_20201121_234957__01 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#178 3 years ago

Yes...RIP Mary Ann. And in honor of her contribution to Gilligan's Island - here's some pics of the now completed build from the above posts.
Added:
Color DMD
Speaker Led light rings and shooter rod illumination
Trough illumination
Lava Seltzer hole illumination
Tilt art blades
Powder coated apron, shooter cover and rails
Powder coated lock bar and legs
PDI Glass
Pin fidelity speakers
Pin sound audio board
Ordered a replacement set of plastics from pinball center
--------------------------------------
On deck I plan on adding custom lights for Kona's eyes

And as a side project, I ripped all 70+ episodes of GI and extracted over 700 sound bytes from ALL the castaways. I plan on creating a custom sound package with Pinsound. Adding call outs, jingles, and music.

I had a lot of fun going through this machine. Spent WAY more $$ than I originally thought, but like I tell my wife, it keeps me out of trouble....

IMG_20201227_104648 (resized).jpgIMG_20201227_104648 (resized).jpgIMG_20201220_103954 (resized).jpgIMG_20201220_103954 (resized).jpgIMG_20210102_155613 (resized).jpgIMG_20210102_155613 (resized).jpgIMG_20210102_155627__01 (resized).jpgIMG_20210102_155627__01 (resized).jpgIMG_20210102_125901__01 (resized).jpgIMG_20210102_125901__01 (resized).jpgIMG_20210102_125918__01 (resized).jpgIMG_20210102_125918__01 (resized).jpgIMG_20210102_160237__01 (resized).jpgIMG_20210102_160237__01 (resized).jpgIMG_20210102_114949 (resized).jpgIMG_20210102_114949 (resized).jpgIMG_20210102_115042 (resized).jpgIMG_20210102_115042 (resized).jpg
#180 3 years ago

Thanks!

2 weeks later
#193 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Everyone let Larry at starshipfantasy know your desire for a Kona head. He made the white water mountains and can make this.
I messaged him and said he could ad it to the list. No time soon, so the more that let him know the better.

I would dig a new Kona too. I had to do a repair on mine with plastIX. I will also message the starshipfantasy guy. Perhaps if we band together and show enough interest, we can move us up on the priority list

#194 3 years ago
Quoted from Jon9508:

Joined the club today. Needs to be clean and what not. But it was a smoking deal.

nice - welcome aboard - what'd it set you back?

1 week later
#199 3 years ago
Quoted from Jon9508:

400 bucks.
It was in an old couples house. They bought it new back in the 90s. Set unplayed for the longest time. Plastics are still clear and not yellowed. Pretty amazing. Just has the ramp hold coiled bad. Everything else seems to be working. [quoted image]

Friggin deal of the century. Congrats!

1 month later
#216 3 years ago
Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

Hi All
Trying to join the club - been trying for years actually just taking was never in my corner
If anyone knows of a Gilligan coming up for sale
Please let me know
I’m Located in NY
Thank you

There's a decent GI representation in San Pedro CA for $2995. Facebook pinball for sale group has it. I almost thought about picking it up. I know a shipper that will white glove it to the east coast for $500.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/630406413802349/permalink/1853860104790301

4 weeks later
#234 2 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

I have some extra parts for GI. Plastics, assemblies, habitrails, metal ball guides, etc...dont know the provenance, picked them up in a bulk buy. No idea of value, so if anyone can help value any of this, or alternatively if you need something, just make a reasonable offer. First come.
[quoted image][quoted image]

What's left from the Gilligan treasure trove?

#236 2 years ago

Linking a tease to a custom sound package I've been working on for about a year.

I watched every episode of Gilligan's Island. Scraped nearly 1000 voice call outs, grabbed hundreds and hundreds more jingles, music clips, and sound effects. Turned all of these original mono recordings into "pseudo stereo" and normalized them. Looped many musical orchestrations, and various songs to create entirely new music for the game.

Call outs now include Mrs Howell, Ginger, and Mary Ann which (sadly) were missing from the original track.

Focus was around both the Kona episode, (which was a tiki God not a volcano) and the jet pack episode. I recreated the Kona interaction to something to be feared Also, random drain, goal and prize call outs from El Presidente, Wrong way, the Japanese Soldier,
head hunters, and a whole lot more. Because of the randomness of PinSound, every game is different.

PinSound studio is powerful, but the recording functions of their software is buggy as hell. The PinSound folder structure for the original soundtrack is absolute crap. I've had to reverse engineer just about everything. Mislabeled folders, unused triggers, leaves me wondering, if anyone has the original OGG files and triggers from the original ROM?
I'd really like to investigate this if anyone has the original audio. Seriously. I'm curious if some of the artifacts (unused trigger folders) in the PinSound library's "Gilligan's island original" folder is conversion garbage, issues with English interpretation, or leftover junk from the original ROM never called in the game ROM.

In the meantime, if you have a PinSound board for your GI, or were thinking about adding one- I'd be happy to share what I have. PM me. Please note this is still a work in progress. I'm still re-orchestrating some of the reward jingles, and a few other sequences. I also realize that I might have gone overboard on a few items, some random stuff doesn't fit exactly, but again, this is a work in progress and I'm sharing the nearly year worth of effort with this community. It's not perfect, but it sure brings the game to life.
...Now if I can just get Tina Louise to sign the backglass... RIP Mary Ann and the rest of the castaways.

Oh, and the shaking is because I installed a shaker motor.

Cheers

#241 2 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

You should use the canned laughter when the ball drains!

I do, it's one of about 20 drain call outs. The YouTube is a fraction of what I've done. A different game every time.
I combined the "Gilligan" and "Oh-oh" drain triggers with many combinations of different characters and sayings.

#248 2 years ago

He made it to Kona 2x plus had Bonus Ball
Wouldn’t of believed it myself but holy hell
Great Game !!

That's a flippin' crazy score!

#250 2 years ago

Okay folks of the island
I have had this issue since I got on board with my game
Every game I get a premature ramp drop and it will stay down until either the ball comes back down from above or the next ball comes into play
The assembly seems to be working fine with no error and works good in test
Any suggestions- it’s pretty straightforward
Thank you as always

So, as the island spins during test (when the game is first turned on) the ramp drops and stays down until a ball comes from underneath? I'm assuming the ramp goes up and down in test right?

have you checked the switch that tells the game the ramp is in the up position? You can see it from underneath. Check the linkage also.

#252 2 years ago

Everything appears fine
Is there logic that it should “know” to be up or down ?
So if it prematurely dropped it corrects itself

When you turn on the game the island and ramp cycle through a self test. What is the state of the ramp during this test? Does it ever pop up and down during the self test? Does the game get any error report upon boot?

Did you lift the play field and verify the function? You can also go into switch test mode with the PF up and check the function of the linkage and the ramp switch behavior.

If you are still puzzled
Can you take a video of the ramp behavior during boot sequence?

#254 2 years ago

Hi
Upon boot the island spins but the ramp doesn’t lift or lower at all
If I start a game it goes up tho
So your thinking something isn’t right with that switch ?

At what point does it lower causing your issue?

#260 2 years ago

Someone able to send a 20 second video if their Gilligan upon boot ?
Please skipper help out your little buddy

I'll post a video of boot after I get home. ...And have you pulled the batteries just for fun?

#263 2 years ago

No idea on batteries but there good
I did play it and it dropped
I made a video in test as I noticed when the ball
In pops made it fall
Seems like heavy vibration just causes it to drop
I’ll post the link here

I really appreciate the help

Here's a link to mine booting.

Ramp is up when it boots, at beginning of the island test
the ramp drops. Island finds its home position, ramp stays down untill the start button is pressed, then ramp pops up at start of the game.

I'll look at your vid later tonight

#264 2 years ago

No idea on batteries but there good
I did play it and it dropped
I made a video in test as I noticed when the ball
In pops made it fall
Seems like heavy vibration just causes it to drop
I’ll post the link here

I really appreciate the help

After watching your vid:
When the pops are firing, does the ramp just fall or is the solenoid pulling it down? You're in test, so I'm assuming it's just falling?
And if it's just falling, is this what's happening randomly during game play?

3 weeks later
#271 2 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Excited to be part of this club shortly. Picked this game up at the Ohio show a few years ago and it needed a bit of work so I got on it then a little carried away.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks good. What all did you do to it?

2 weeks later
#284 2 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Did you test with finger or the actual

There are no genuine cab decals.

I got mine from the guy on eBay. First set showed up frayed on the ends - the shipping tube was crushed by ups. He sent me another set. I'm happy with them.

4 weeks later
#286 2 years ago

I have an NOS Gilligan Translight still rolled up
$200.00
plus shipping
Will post pics of anyone takes interest

Post some pics. Where'd ya run across it?

1 month later
#293 2 years ago

Gilligan pinball is getting a facelift for turning 30
[quoted image]

Cool man. Do it. Mine was a fun project and is the "treasure" of my collection.

Gilligan pinball is getting a facelift for turning 30
[quoted image]

How's the restore coming along?

#303 2 years ago

Just got to put new t moulding and she is pretty much done. Any suggestions of which colour?
Will get better pictures in a few weeks as I am showing her off and 3 other UNIQUE machines at the West Coast Pinball Festival here in Perth. The last show GI got played to death and one bloke offered heaps to buy her.
People that know me understand that this is MY GAME, " the best game ever" and love her soooooo much.
Have added pingraffix art and colour LED speakers to make her pop.
I am gonna eventually light up the top saucer and use the Comet fire LED which will look mint.
[quoted image]

I choose yellow for my t-moulding. It made the cabinet pop, and is an eye catcher for sure.

4 months later
#323 2 years ago

This is a lonely thread...time to inject some needed energy. Shout out to Tim Crowley @ lasvegasplayfields.com for the beautiful restoration of my GI playfield. Pictures do not do it justice. The clearcoat is frigging sick. My next endeavor is to do the swap. I'm gonna pull the existing PF and send it in to Tim as well.

20220104_161043 (resized).jpg20220104_161043 (resized).jpg20220104_161404 (resized).jpg20220104_161404 (resized).jpg20220104_161446 (resized).jpg20220104_161446 (resized).jpg20220104_164727 (resized).jpg20220104_164727 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#326 2 years ago
Quoted from Tpbw:

Just picked up a gorgeous gi in Indiana.

Damn. Looks fresh. Tell us about this gem. How'd you come across it?

1 year later
#375 5 months ago
Quoted from jazc4:

Another productive night after the “FUN” auction. I got all of the screws and hardware mounted in the head. The boards need cleaning. I'll clean and install them and the DMD tomorrow.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looking good.

#377 5 months ago

I like your avatar very much! Great episode

Ha ha thanks oldskool1969. it's all about the jet pack! Gotta get the seltzer to Kona!

2 weeks later
#380 5 months ago

don't see this posted here yet - CPR just did a small run of GI playfields for anyone adventurous to do a swap -

https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-playfields/gilligans-playfield/

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
5,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Louisville, KY
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider inferno.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gilligans-island-skipper-club?tu=inferno and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.