IMG_1051 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1049 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1069 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1068 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1064 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1060 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1059 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1057 (resized).jpeg
There are 400 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.
#351 1 year ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

I loooooooove GI.
Would snap up if you were priced right and in Australia
GLWTS

What's a right price these days?..

#352 1 year ago
Quoted from DirtyDeeds:

Hi Castaways. Any ideas please? Sometimes the ramp doesn't drop down. It drops down first few times then stays up. This applies to both jungle run and Kona.

Work the coil manually and see if something is sticking. Check the wires on the coil and make sure they are securely soldered on. Put it in coil test and see if it works every time. Ground the transistor head a number of times and see if it works every time. Check the transistor with a multimeter and see if it tests good. Maybe go ahead and replace the transistor in case it is going bad.

#353 1 year ago

I usually add tiny amount of lithium grease on the 90 degree lift plate and the release mech. Run a few times in test and seems to fix the issue.

#354 1 year ago

When game play is over , the music wont stop.

I’m on version L4.

Anyone else experience this or have a solution for this ?

#355 1 year ago
Quoted from Sixtieskid:

When game play is over , the music wont stop.
I’m on version L4.
Anyone else experience this or have a solution for this ?

Mine will play for a few minutes after game over but then will stop.

#356 1 year ago

Transistor on the way out if it isn't a mechanical issue, which I would check first.
Refer manual for diagram

#357 1 year ago
Quoted from kguenther6:

Work the coil manually and see if something is sticking. Check the wires on the coil and make sure they are securely soldered on. Put it in coil test and see if it works every time. Ground the transistor head a number of times and see if it works every time. Check the transistor with a multimeter and see if it tests good. Maybe go ahead and replace the transistor in case it is going bad.

Quoted from pinballplusMN:

I usually add tiny amount of lithium grease on the 90 degree lift plate and the release mech. Run a few times in test and seems to fix the issue.

Thanks castaways. I did what you said and cleaned the area(pretty black) especially around the release mech and put a bit of teflon lube. Coil test working every time and a couple of games no probs. I'll check the transistor if it starts happening again. Thanks.

#358 1 year ago

I just bought a GI that's been sitting unplayed for the last 5 years. Not even sure if it works.

Looks like it'll be my summer project to clean it up and shop it out.

Not sure how far I'll go but knowing me, it'll be farther than I really should.

#359 1 year ago

If anyone is looking to unload a nice GI that is within a 3-4 hour drive of Chicago, let me know. Thanks.

1 week later
#360 1 year ago

Ive got some new artblades and decals available for this classic. If anyone wants to see pics of them on my game here is a link to a thread I started previously.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-gilligan-with-ginger-and-mary-ann

AB pst (resized).jpgAB pst (resized).jpgFULL DECALS PST (resized).jpgFULL DECALS PST (resized).jpghead opt (resized).jpghead opt (resized).jpgGILLIGAN RULE CARDS (resized).jpgGILLIGAN RULE CARDS (resized).jpg
3 months later
#361 8 months ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

Ive got some new artblades and decals available for this classic. If anyone wants to see pics of them on my game here is a link to a thread I started previously.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-gilligan-with-ginger-and-mary-ann[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Pinstein PM sent

2 weeks later
#362 8 months ago

I’m excited to say that I joined the club today. Gilligan has been hacked and abused, but I hope to have him up to some shenanigans in no time.

IMG_9080 (resized).jpegIMG_9080 (resized).jpegIMG_9081 (resized).jpegIMG_9081 (resized).jpegIMG_9082 (resized).jpegIMG_9082 (resized).jpegIMG_9087 (resized).jpegIMG_9087 (resized).jpegIMG_9090 (resized).jpegIMG_9090 (resized).jpeg
#363 8 months ago

The backbox lights were dead. Here’s part of the problem. Look at this hack!?!? I figure either the technician that “helped” the previous owner earlier this year didn’t know what he was doing, or knew exactly what he was doing to make it none functional. Who knows. Of course the fuse at F110 was blown. I put in a new proper fuse. I unsoldered the connections and got them back together properly. That fixed it, minus the flakey backbox GI connector. I’ll put a new connector on next week for a permanent fix. But for now the backbox lights are working.

IMG_9100 (resized).pngIMG_9100 (resized).pngIMG_9102 (resized).pngIMG_9102 (resized).pngIMG_9103 (resized).pngIMG_9103 (resized).pngIMG_9105 (resized).pngIMG_9105 (resized).png
#364 8 months ago

Looking for Gilligan's Island plastics. Specifically the "Thurston Howell and Lovey" plastic that sits over the LAGOON standups and the SS Minnow plastic on the back board. The Maryann sling is warped but maybe I can get the warp out of it. Thanks

#365 8 months ago
Quoted from jazc4:

Looking for Gilligan's Island plastics. Specifically the "Thurston Howell and Lovey" plastic that sits over the LAGOON standups and the SS Minnow plastic on the back board. The Maryann sling is warped but maybe I can get the warp out of it. Thanks

$$$$$$$$ CPR do a plastic set
Some come up on eBay every now and then

#366 8 months ago

$$$$$$$$ CPR do a plastic set
Some come up on eBay every now and then

Thanks! I'm hoping to spend my current funds on cabinet decals and worry about new plastics later.

1 week later
#369 8 months ago

I have the backbox lights working now. I had to put a new connector at J121. I’ve bought a lot of parts to get the restoration going. Hope to send the wire forms off this weekend for powder coating. Gonna go for the bamboo look, although I was considering the green like the green on the plastics.

IMG_9170 (resized).jpegIMG_9170 (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#370 7 months ago

Any tips on getting the ramp to move smoothly? The coils work, but it moves very clunky. Once it goes up it gets kinda hung up. The coil to lower it fires well, but its like the ramp gets hung up.at the hinge. I don't really know what to do next since the ramp parts seem to be unobtainable. I don't want to chance damaging it.

#371 7 months ago

Happy to be in the club. It was a long search but it was worth it! Such a charming pin.

Would anyone happen to have an extra MayAnne plastic? Mine is cracked.

Thanks.

PXL_20230915_213323984 (resized).jpgPXL_20230915_213323984 (resized).jpgPXL_20230915_213332515 (resized).jpgPXL_20230915_213332515 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#372 7 months ago

I got the head painted and decaled. I can’t say enough about the decals from Pinball Decals EU. They are very nice.

IMG_9558 (resized).jpegIMG_9558 (resized).jpegIMG_9560 (resized).jpegIMG_9560 (resized).jpeg
#373 7 months ago

Light panel cleaned, painted, and reassembled. Should be able to put the backbox back together tomorrow.

IMG_9561 (resized).jpegIMG_9561 (resized).jpegIMG_9562 (resized).jpegIMG_9562 (resized).jpegIMG_9569 (resized).jpegIMG_9569 (resized).jpegIMG_9595 (resized).jpegIMG_9595 (resized).jpegIMG_9596 (resized).jpegIMG_9596 (resized).jpeg
#374 6 months ago

Another productive night after the “FUN” auction. I got all of the screws and hardware mounted in the head. The boards need cleaning. I'll clean and install them and the DMD tomorrow.

IMG_9605 (resized).jpegIMG_9605 (resized).jpegIMG_9606 (resized).jpegIMG_9606 (resized).jpegIMG_9607 (resized).jpegIMG_9607 (resized).jpeg
#375 6 months ago
Quoted from jazc4:

Another productive night after the “FUN” auction. I got all of the screws and hardware mounted in the head. The boards need cleaning. I'll clean and install them and the DMD tomorrow.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looking good.

#376 6 months ago

I like your avatar very much! Great episode

#377 6 months ago

I like your avatar very much! Great episode

Ha ha thanks oldskool1969. it's all about the jet pack! Gotta get the seltzer to Kona!

1 week later
#378 6 months ago

I installed a lighted speaker kit today. I got it from Speakerlightkit.com. I have to make a minor modification to the cabinet, but it doesn’t show or weaken the cabinet. I used my Dremel to remove the obstructions. It was pretty easy. If you want speaker lights don’t be afraid to give it a go.IMG_9720 (resized).pngIMG_9720 (resized).png

IMG_9691 (resized).jpegIMG_9691 (resized).jpegIMG_9693 (resized).jpegIMG_9693 (resized).jpegIMG_9694 (resized).jpegIMG_9694 (resized).jpegIMG_9696 (resized).jpegIMG_9696 (resized).jpegIMG_9717 (resized).jpegIMG_9717 (resized).jpegIMG_9718 (resized).jpegIMG_9718 (resized).jpeg

#379 6 months ago

now you know what i meant by it hacks the cabinet

BEST GAME EVER

#380 6 months ago

don't see this posted here yet - CPR just did a small run of GI playfields for anyone adventurous to do a swap -

https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-playfields/gilligans-playfield/

#381 6 months ago

Wish I had the money and I'd get one. Mine isn't too bad but needs to be cleared. I bought a playfield protector for now.

2 weeks later
#382 5 months ago

Finally tackling the lower cabinet. Cleaned out the cabinet and used heat gun to remove the side rails and the decals. Hope to have it repaired and painted before Thanksgiving.

IMG_9907 (resized).jpegIMG_9907 (resized).jpegIMG_9908 (resized).jpegIMG_9908 (resized).jpegIMG_9909 (resized).jpegIMG_9909 (resized).jpegIMG_9910 (resized).jpegIMG_9910 (resized).jpegIMG_9911 (resized).jpegIMG_9911 (resized).jpegIMG_9912 (resized).jpegIMG_9912 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#383 3 months ago

Got the apron decals in. Prepped and painted the apron and placed decals. They get to sit in the closet while I start tearing down the playfield on my new Pindoc rotisserie. Plan was to put the new playfield protector I bought on it. But I think I might go ahead and clear coat it instead. If I do, I’ll have a playfield protector for sale at a good price.

IMG_0161 (resized).jpegIMG_0161 (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#384 3 months ago

Started the tear down.

IMG_0163 (resized).jpegIMG_0163 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#385 3 months ago

Does anybody have a top side tear down picture underneath the upper plastic where the two metal ball rails come together to a point?

That point must have gotten hammered on my machine because the foot for the left rail at that point is broken and can't be fastened underneath that playfield, and so is the post right behind it that the plastic screws to. Picture attached of the area I'm interested in. I just want to know what kind of post it is under the plastic. I might look for a post that can support a rubber ring that then pushes against both rails from the inside of the intersection point. Since one rail has a broken foot, it is loose right there - if a ball hits it will flex.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#386 3 months ago
Quoted from adamtoth:

Does anybody have a top side tear down picture underneath the upper plastic where the two metal ball rails come together to a point?
That point must have gotten hammered on my machine because the foot for the left rail at that point is broken and can't be fastened underneath that playfield, and so is the post right behind it that the plastic screws to. Picture attached of the area I'm interested in. I just want to know what kind of post it is under the plastic. I might look for a post that can support a rubber ring that then pushes against both rails from the inside of the intersection point. Since one rail has a broken foot, it is loose right there - if a ball hits it will flex.[quoted image]

I can take you some when I get home from work.

#387 3 months ago

Found a couple on my phone from my tear down. Let me know if you need anything else.

IMG_0165 (resized).jpegIMG_0165 (resized).jpegIMG_0166 (resized).jpegIMG_0166 (resized).jpegIMG_0184 (resized).jpegIMG_0184 (resized).jpegIMG_0185 (resized).jpegIMG_0185 (resized).jpeg
#388 3 months ago

Perfect, thanks jazc4 !

3 weeks later
#389 75 days ago

Almost done with my restoration and playfield swap. The new CPR repro playfield is amazing in case anyone is considering it, the colors are super accurate, the fluorescent orange is spot on, and the blues and greens are perfect. I really can't tell a difference side by side with the original. There are a few small defects in some of the pure white areas under the plastics where a little bit of other colors leaked into it, kind of like when an inkjet printer smudges ink that was on a roller. But these are hidden anyway and not visible.

I had a number of island/ramp issues that I resolved, link here in case anyone is interested:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gilligan-s-yet-another-island-error

I have a few niggly items on my punch list. Lots of alignment issues still. Playfield is sitting slightly crooked on the pivots, after reassembly rubs one side of the cabinet when lifting up/down. Outhole switch is either too close to the end of the trough and the switch rubs on the metal and gets stuck, or else too far away and the ball doesn't actuate it. Doesn't seem to be a middle ground. Playfield apron is sitting too far to the left, so the ball save kicker plunger rubs against the apron. Trough eject kicks the ball out and right back into the trough sometimes.

One issue which I wanted to ask about: a weak ball that doesn't make it through the island and all the way through the right plastic ramp either drops back down to the playfield by the shells, or sometimes get stuck between the island and the plastic ramp. The gap between island and ramp is pretty large on mine, and I can't really adjust the position of either, but am noticing a few balls during play testing getting stuck there. Anyone else have stuck balls in that spot?

1 month later
#390 45 days ago

Best game ever at
West Coast Pinball Festival
Perth , Western Australia 2024

8E83CA6F-434C-4692-88D2-416778AD6B40 (resized).jpeg8E83CA6F-434C-4692-88D2-416778AD6B40 (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#391 28 days ago

I have a playfield protector that I was going to use. However, once I broke down Gilligan I realized how many bad areas the playfield had. I decided to clear and repair it instead. Now I have no need for the protector. I bought it from Playfield protector. Com. It is unopened and should be in perfect shape. I paid 108 plus shipping for it. I’d take 95 shipped if anyone needs one.

IMG_0706 (resized).jpegIMG_0706 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#392 15 days ago

I got the inside of the lower cabinet painted. The decal panels are lacquered. Hopefully by next weekend I’ll have it ready for decals.

IMG_0985 (resized).pngIMG_0985 (resized).png
#393 12 days ago

I gave the playfield it’s final sand before the insert repair and the first layer of clear go on. You can see the bottom half was sanded with the red Scotchbrite pad but the top wasn’t yet in the picture. The weather may not allow me to put the base coat of clear on this weekend. I hope it does so I can spend the following week getting the paint repairs done.

IMG_1012 (resized).jpegIMG_1012 (resized).jpegIMG_1013 (resized).jpegIMG_1013 (resized).jpeg
#394 7 days ago

I made a lot of progress this weekend. First, the cabinet. I got the back and top panel sanded, lacquered, and painted. I put the plastic feet on it so I could stand it up when needed.

Then I sanded the lacquered decal panels to prepare for decal installation. I got all decals placed and the side art decals placed as well. I’m sending out the legs and armor for black crinkle powder coating. With the black armor I think the colors on this game should really pop. Now I can start the cleaning process for the lower cabinet residents.

It looks really good next to Indy.

IMG_1057 (resized).jpegIMG_1057 (resized).jpegIMG_1058 (resized).jpegIMG_1058 (resized).jpegIMG_1059 (resized).jpegIMG_1059 (resized).jpegIMG_1060 (resized).jpegIMG_1060 (resized).jpegIMG_1064 (resized).jpegIMG_1064 (resized).jpegIMG_1068 (resized).jpegIMG_1068 (resized).jpeg

IMG_1069 (resized).jpegIMG_1069 (resized).jpeg
#395 5 days ago

Last weekend, after sanding and prepping the playfield, I put down the first layers of clear coat. I used Spraymax 2K. It layed down nicely for me as it has on my past playfields. 24 hours later I sanded it with 600 grit.

Next I will perfect the sanding and then start the leveling with extra drops of clear where needed. So far I’m very happy with the results.

IMG_1049 (resized).jpegIMG_1049 (resized).jpegIMG_1051 (resized).jpegIMG_1051 (resized).jpeg
#396 5 days ago

are you gonna get cliffy lane switch protectors?
highly recommend as the game is harsh on these points
where did you get decals from and are they any good?

cliffy_switch-protector-e1529571646810 (resized).jpegcliffy_switch-protector-e1529571646810 (resized).jpeg
#397 4 days ago

are you gonna get cliffy lane switch protectors?
highly recommend as the game is harsh on these points
where did you get decals from and are they any good?
[quoted image]

The cabinet decals are from PinballDecals.eu and the side art is from RetroRefurbs. As far as the cliffys, I may get some. It depends on how thick the clear comes out. I still have 2-3 coats to apply once I get the touch up painting done. If it looks solid, I will probably put mylar instead. But I have time to decide.

#398 23 hours ago

This weekend’s project was to clean up the plastic ramp and to add some decoration to it. The ramp is so plain. I first saw on Pinball Shenanigans where Kevin Grasley had used the old plastics to decorate the ramp. I loved how it looked and decided to duplicate it.

I made a paper template to help me cut out pieces to fit. Like Kevin I used the jungle run plastic for a lot of it. As I cut out pieces, I wanted them to hang over the ball trail. However, as Kevin discovered, the ball will hit the plastic. It needed about an 1/8 inch of clearance. Because I loved the look, I started brainstorming for a solution. I wanted something reversible in case I changed my mind later. I decided to go with Velcro. It would hold the plastic on the ramp, it would be reversible, and It would give me the clearance I needed. I used a heat cutter and acrylic bur to cut and shape the pieces. I cleaned the pieces with alcohol and then flame polished. I used spacers to put the 2 palm trees and parrot. I can give more details if anyone is interested.

IMG_1076 (resized).jpegIMG_1076 (resized).jpegIMG_1083 (resized).jpegIMG_1083 (resized).jpegIMG_1086 (resized).jpegIMG_1086 (resized).jpegIMG_1130 (resized).jpegIMG_1130 (resized).jpegIMG_1136 (resized).jpegIMG_1136 (resized).jpegIMG_1137 (resized).jpegIMG_1137 (resized).jpegIMG_1138 (resized).jpegIMG_1138 (resized).jpeg
#399 19 hours ago

My GI keeps wanting to restart. Any advice at where to start trouble shooting?

#400 13 hours ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

My GI keeps wanting to restart. Any advice at where to start trouble shooting?

Check voltages at test points and usually a bridge rectifier goes bad. If unsure get a tech.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

There are 400 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gilligans-island-skipper-club/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.