New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 168075)

Gilligan's Island Skipper! Club

By dsuperbee

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 162 posts
  • 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 45 days ago by Ericpinballfan
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 39 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

A4DF8175-B4C9-4FAC-8D0A-850D2E179683 (resized).jpeg
received_188978212257050 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20200519-223550_YouTube (resized).jpg
IMG_6801 (resized).JPG
IMG_6800 (resized).JPG
IMG_6799 (resized).JPG
IMG_6798 (resized).JPG
20200428_161542 (resized).jpg
IMG_3847 (resized).JPG
received_687515762023479 (resized).jpeg
received_256107302187219 (resized).jpeg
365A2925-C546-4812-9988-688E0651B285 (resized).jpeg
B18D389F-1FAF-4462-91AF-0A1DB315B39A (resized).jpeg
AF3F3EA1-6268-41BA-BAAA-F2D9A4607562 (resized).jpeg
88F05B9B-09A5-4B30-A5F7-6C577CE9EB00 (resized).jpeg
AD573FE2-3BD4-4683-A45F-D7F975F9D43D (resized).jpeg

There are 162 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 4 months ago
Quoted from quicksilvr:

Hey everyone.. newbie here.. I am looking to buy my first pin and after a lot of research think Gilligan's Island is the perfect fit for my game room; being fun, not too old, and not too new.. if 30 years old isn't considered too old.. I'm ultimately looking for a full restored table but am willing to buy one that needs work.. so far I'm not seeing many options but do see this one offered in Vegas.. seems out of the typical price range.. anyone have an opinion?
https://billiardsnmore.com/pool-tables/gilligans-island-pinball/

NOOOOO.....
Avoid that scum bag in Vegas. Billiards and more is a front for flipping craigslist broken machines. I know for a fact! He's been around 15 plus years. And yes, ive purchased from him to, say 5 years ago. Ive also visited the store 10 times prior and since. His glorified shop jobs are not worth the price. Its a big store and he pays rent so your always going to pay retail.

Quoted from Hammerhead:

There's one available for sale right now in Calgary, Alberta, Canada somewhat directly north of you, $4300 CAD:
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-toys-games/calgary/gilligan-s-island-pinball/1504175783
Even after shipping and customs brokerage fees it will still be far cheaper than $6K. There might be some understandable trepidation in shipping internationally for your first pin, but it happens more and more as the available games out there dry up.

NOOOO!
DO not ship in from canada. First of all never ship a pin, age old debate, but just dont do it. Plenty of GI out there. Place a wanted ad here on pinside and craigslist. Also, anything over 3k is a bit much. If its in that 3-4 range it better have unfaded cabinet and look good, also for that price all the boards should be in good shape.

#152 4 months ago

6K sounds a bit much unless you're mr howell.

#153 4 months ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

NOOOOO.....
Avoid that scum bag in Vegas. Billiards and more is a front for flipping craigslist broken machines. I know for a fact! He's been around 15 plus years. And yes, ive purchased from him to, say 5 years ago. Ive also visited the store 10 times prior and since. His glorified shop jobs are not worth the price. Its a big store and he pays rent so your always going to pay retail.

NOOOO!
DO not ship in from canada. First of all never ship a pin, age old debate, but just dont do it. Plenty of GI out there. Place a wanted ad here on pinside and craigslist. Also, anything over 3k is a bit much. If its in that 3-4 range it better have unfaded cabinet and look good, also for that price all the boards should be in good shape.

I respect your opinion, but to take the stance to say “never ship a pin” is a bit out of the ballpark. Might be a nuisance to get one from Canada, I agree. But to not get one shipped takes away from a lot of title or opportunities if you buy from a respected, good standing seller

#154 4 months ago

Hello All,
I have just noticed that I have some lighting issues on my GI. I am missing string #2 [the bottom playfield gi lighting] and the title on the back glass are both out, and will not work in test mode. I can't even find a place to test the title string. I can test both right and left strings and they work fine, as for the rest of the playfield. I have checked the connector and cleaned the pins, but have not pulled the board yet to check traces. Can a transistor be bad on the board?

Thanks

2 weeks later
#155 3 months ago

Just joined the club and picked up a GI last weekend. I'm replacing components and it is already working for the most part. A few more board components to replace and then it'll be in great shape.

I have some ideas about adjusting the gameplay using factory settings adjustments provided and I want to see if others agree. I will test these new settings once I get mine 100% operational again. I am new to machines other than EM so I'm not sure if what I'm suggesting is blasphemy.

Most of the reviews I've read for GI complain about the same things: the shots are simple and mostly favor on the ramp shot to rotating island, the scoring is unbalanced due to heavy focus on Kona's treasure jackpot, and the multiball is random and almost impossible to earn. I also get disappointed sometimes that the only way to get Jungle Run for 500k or 1M is through the skill plunge, and this is only available at the beginning of each ball (unless this lights again after Kona's treasure is earned? Not positive if the top kickout ever lights up more than once per ball).

My thought was to adjust the Lagoon special percentage settings to revward multiball 25-100% of the time, as activating multiball also activates Jungle Run for 1M. Changing the percentage that this happens (factory says 0-25% for multiball percent change, default is 3%, but could you achieve 100% if you set all other Lagoon specials to 0%?). This would mean that every time you light the Lagoon targets and hit the shot, you get a 2 ball multiball and start Jungle Run. This seems relatively easy to achieve, but it is only a 2 ball multiball.

It seems that this would make achieving the multiball feel more intentional and not random. Another consideration is that the 1M Jungle Run can build some huge points if hit consecutively, so I might set the timer between shots to 5 seconds (conservative) to make this a true challenge each time. This Jungle Run/ Multiball percentage increase would allow another major way to score besides Kona and let players enjoy the multiball feature of the game, and island toy which we all love.

If 100% is TOO frequent, you could set Lagoon special to award multiball @ 50% with 2 Mil the other 50%, or even lower with multiball @ 25%, and 1Mil, 2Mil, and 3Mil each at 25%. This at least gives larger incentive to go for the Lagoon special while also collecting ingredients for Kona.

I'm looking for feedback on the adjustments above based on other owners thoughts on how easy or difficult this would make the game. We can't change that the game is generally simpler (and that doesn't mean it is a bad game as new players love it), but it seems like making Lagoon reward for multiball higher than 3% would add appeal and give players something else to go for that can score big points. Kona's treasure giving 50Mil still makes that the ultimate jackpot and keeps the incentive to collect ingredients. The motor will get more of a workout if Jungle Run was activated more often, which may cause more wear. Hopefully this wouldn't be an issue since even during testing it only needs 10 seconds to cool down after making a full cycle.

Thanks in advance for thoughts on this or for anyone willing to try these settings. I'd like to add a review for this game on Pinside once I hear back from other owners about whether these adjustments might help the game feel like there are more ways to score than what others think. Love the music, artwork and theme.

#156 3 months ago

to get back to top saucer a hard hit through the island with ramp up will get there and if too hard it will go all way around and give you bonus X.Also the saucer can reset kickback.
I love GI as it is all about the high score and not really node based.
I also love the light show.
GI is a love or hate pin but it is super fast and fun when dialled in.

#157 3 months ago

I finally got GI working this morning after several transistor and coil replacements, and tracking down a short between two of the high power solenoids.

I see now that the saucer rewards are always accessible, and not just once per ball like I misunderstood. Now that I've played, the only adjustments I might make are increasing percentage for multiball so it's more common. Otherwise, this is a great game as it comes. I'm glad to join the club!

2 weeks later
#158 3 months ago

Ahoy Little Buddies,

I am troubleshooting the Island ramp and I was wondering what the normal position for the ramp is? Does a game start with the ramp up or down? I clearly have an issue with it as it was stuck up, i fiddled with the mechanism and now its always down. What gameplay causes the ramp to change positions? Thanks for any help, I always find it helps to know how something is supposed to work before I "FIX" it...

Also, whats supposed to happen when you hit the rope shot? The ball goes under the island but get stuck under the ramp when it trys to come back out.

Later.... Damn, i wish i could delete this post as i dont think its the ramp at all. I think its the hold lock solenoid.

#159 3 months ago

ramp up on start, drops when jungle run or island treasure activated

1 month later
#160 46 days ago

"BEST GAME EVER" just got better thanks to colour DMD dmod

A4DF8175-B4C9-4FAC-8D0A-850D2E179683 (resized).jpeg
#161 45 days ago

Looks great!

#162 45 days ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

"BEST GAME EVER" just got better thanks to colour DMD dmod
[quoted image]

Awesome!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
PinSound
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
There are 162 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside