IMG_0161 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_9912 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9910 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9911 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9909 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9907 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9908 (resized).jpeg

There are 391 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 8.
#151 3 years ago
Quoted from quicksilvr:

Hey everyone.. newbie here.. I am looking to buy my first pin and after a lot of research think Gilligan's Island is the perfect fit for my game room; being fun, not too old, and not too new.. if 30 years old isn't considered too old.. I'm ultimately looking for a full restored table but am willing to buy one that needs work.. so far I'm not seeing many options but do see this one offered in Vegas.. seems out of the typical price range.. anyone have an opinion?
https://billiardsnmore.com/pool-tables/gilligans-island-pinball/

NOOOOO.....
Avoid that scum bag in Vegas. Billiards and more is a front for flipping craigslist broken machines. I know for a fact! He's been around 15 plus years. And yes, ive purchased from him to, say 5 years ago. Ive also visited the store 10 times prior and since. His glorified shop jobs are not worth the price. Its a big store and he pays rent so your always going to pay retail.

Quoted from Hammerhead:

There's one available for sale right now in Calgary, Alberta, Canada somewhat directly north of you, $4300 CAD:
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-toys-games/calgary/gilligan-s-island-pinball/1504175783
Even after shipping and customs brokerage fees it will still be far cheaper than $6K. There might be some understandable trepidation in shipping internationally for your first pin, but it happens more and more as the available games out there dry up.

NOOOO!
DO not ship in from canada. First of all never ship a pin, age old debate, but just dont do it. Plenty of GI out there. Place a wanted ad here on pinside and craigslist. Also, anything over 3k is a bit much. If its in that 3-4 range it better have unfaded cabinet and look good, also for that price all the boards should be in good shape.

#152 3 years ago

6K sounds a bit much unless you're mr howell.

#153 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

NOOOOO.....
Avoid that scum bag in Vegas. Billiards and more is a front for flipping craigslist broken machines. I know for a fact! He's been around 15 plus years. And yes, ive purchased from him to, say 5 years ago. Ive also visited the store 10 times prior and since. His glorified shop jobs are not worth the price. Its a big store and he pays rent so your always going to pay retail.

NOOOO!
DO not ship in from canada. First of all never ship a pin, age old debate, but just dont do it. Plenty of GI out there. Place a wanted ad here on pinside and craigslist. Also, anything over 3k is a bit much. If its in that 3-4 range it better have unfaded cabinet and look good, also for that price all the boards should be in good shape.

I respect your opinion, but to take the stance to say “never ship a pin” is a bit out of the ballpark. Might be a nuisance to get one from Canada, I agree. But to not get one shipped takes away from a lot of title or opportunities if you buy from a respected, good standing seller

#154 3 years ago

Hello All,
I have just noticed that I have some lighting issues on my GI. I am missing string #2 [the bottom playfield gi lighting] and the title on the back glass are both out, and will not work in test mode. I can't even find a place to test the title string. I can test both right and left strings and they work fine, as for the rest of the playfield. I have checked the connector and cleaned the pins, but have not pulled the board yet to check traces. Can a transistor be bad on the board?

Thanks

2 weeks later
#155 3 years ago

Just joined the club and picked up a GI last weekend. I'm replacing components and it is already working for the most part. A few more board components to replace and then it'll be in great shape.

I have some ideas about adjusting the gameplay using factory settings adjustments provided and I want to see if others agree. I will test these new settings once I get mine 100% operational again. I am new to machines other than EM so I'm not sure if what I'm suggesting is blasphemy.

Most of the reviews I've read for GI complain about the same things: the shots are simple and mostly favor on the ramp shot to rotating island, the scoring is unbalanced due to heavy focus on Kona's treasure jackpot, and the multiball is random and almost impossible to earn. I also get disappointed sometimes that the only way to get Jungle Run for 500k or 1M is through the skill plunge, and this is only available at the beginning of each ball (unless this lights again after Kona's treasure is earned? Not positive if the top kickout ever lights up more than once per ball).

My thought was to adjust the Lagoon special percentage settings to revward multiball 25-100% of the time, as activating multiball also activates Jungle Run for 1M. Changing the percentage that this happens (factory says 0-25% for multiball percent change, default is 3%, but could you achieve 100% if you set all other Lagoon specials to 0%?). This would mean that every time you light the Lagoon targets and hit the shot, you get a 2 ball multiball and start Jungle Run. This seems relatively easy to achieve, but it is only a 2 ball multiball.

It seems that this would make achieving the multiball feel more intentional and not random. Another consideration is that the 1M Jungle Run can build some huge points if hit consecutively, so I might set the timer between shots to 5 seconds (conservative) to make this a true challenge each time. This Jungle Run/ Multiball percentage increase would allow another major way to score besides Kona and let players enjoy the multiball feature of the game, and island toy which we all love.

If 100% is TOO frequent, you could set Lagoon special to award multiball @ 50% with 2 Mil the other 50%, or even lower with multiball @ 25%, and 1Mil, 2Mil, and 3Mil each at 25%. This at least gives larger incentive to go for the Lagoon special while also collecting ingredients for Kona.

I'm looking for feedback on the adjustments above based on other owners thoughts on how easy or difficult this would make the game. We can't change that the game is generally simpler (and that doesn't mean it is a bad game as new players love it), but it seems like making Lagoon reward for multiball higher than 3% would add appeal and give players something else to go for that can score big points. Kona's treasure giving 50Mil still makes that the ultimate jackpot and keeps the incentive to collect ingredients. The motor will get more of a workout if Jungle Run was activated more often, which may cause more wear. Hopefully this wouldn't be an issue since even during testing it only needs 10 seconds to cool down after making a full cycle.

Thanks in advance for thoughts on this or for anyone willing to try these settings. I'd like to add a review for this game on Pinside once I hear back from other owners about whether these adjustments might help the game feel like there are more ways to score than what others think. Love the music, artwork and theme.

#156 3 years ago

to get back to top saucer a hard hit through the island with ramp up will get there and if too hard it will go all way around and give you bonus X.Also the saucer can reset kickback.
I love GI as it is all about the high score and not really node based.
I also love the light show.
GI is a love or hate pin but it is super fast and fun when dialled in.

#157 3 years ago

I finally got GI working this morning after several transistor and coil replacements, and tracking down a short between two of the high power solenoids.

I see now that the saucer rewards are always accessible, and not just once per ball like I misunderstood. Now that I've played, the only adjustments I might make are increasing percentage for multiball so it's more common. Otherwise, this is a great game as it comes. I'm glad to join the club!

2 weeks later
#158 3 years ago

Ahoy Little Buddies,

I am troubleshooting the Island ramp and I was wondering what the normal position for the ramp is? Does a game start with the ramp up or down? I clearly have an issue with it as it was stuck up, i fiddled with the mechanism and now its always down. What gameplay causes the ramp to change positions? Thanks for any help, I always find it helps to know how something is supposed to work before I "FIX" it...

Also, whats supposed to happen when you hit the rope shot? The ball goes under the island but get stuck under the ramp when it trys to come back out.

Later.... Damn, i wish i could delete this post as i dont think its the ramp at all. I think its the hold lock solenoid.

#159 3 years ago

ramp up on start, drops when jungle run or island treasure activated

1 month later
#160 3 years ago

"BEST GAME EVER" just got better thanks to colour DMD Dmod

A4DF8175-B4C9-4FAC-8D0A-850D2E179683 (resized).jpegA4DF8175-B4C9-4FAC-8D0A-850D2E179683 (resized).jpeg
#161 3 years ago

Looks great!

#162 3 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

"BEST GAME EVER" just got better thanks to colour DMD dmod
[quoted image]

Awesome!!

1 month later
#163 3 years ago

I thought about starting a new thread for restoring my GI. But knowing Gilligan's Island hardly gets any respect or love from but only a few pinsiders.... I've decided to show my affection and gratitude for this pin in this thread. I've gone completely off the reservation and WAY over the top on this restoration. You will see throughout this posting, that I didn't stick with the "as it was shipped from the factory" look, as this was not my intention. I owe a debt of gratitude to other pinsiders for documenting their restoration projects which have provided much needed general guidance.

For starters, the pics below are what I started with - I bought it at an auction and it was in rough shape.
The island motor was causing the driver board to fall below voltage and the game would reset. There was a capacitor hack in place in attempt to prevent the reset from occuring but was generally super annoying and unliveable.

The display would show jibber jabber after the game heated up.

Cab graphics faded, chips scratches and dings everywhere.

No LEDs, and half the back box would not light up.

Broken plastics and ancient cracked rubbers.

Side rails dented from the back box slamming down upon them.

These were the major items....there were others but you get the idea....
38828_0 (resized).jpg38828_0 (resized).jpg38832_0 (resized).jpg38832_0 (resized).jpg38833_0 (resized).jpg38833_0 (resized).jpg38835_0 (resized).jpg38835_0 (resized).jpg

#164 3 years ago

Alrighty, "Just sit right back and you'll see a restoration...." I've been busy. Cab comes first. Here are a few b4 and afters of the inside of the lower cab. Note coin door lock bar damage, liquid damage of some type. This thing was and filthy.....In dire need of a rescue...
Ordered the nextgen graphics from the classic arcade dude on eBay. Ordered body paint to mach the blue hue of the new vinyl. Added a pin fidelity sub. Away we go on the three hour tour.

inCollage_20201101_215507503 (resized).jpginCollage_20201101_215507503 (resized).jpginCollage_20201101_221130551 (resized).jpginCollage_20201101_221130551 (resized).jpg
#165 3 years ago

" Did we just become best friends? "
" Yup "
quote courtesy of Stepbrothers movie

#166 3 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

" Did we just become best friends? "
" Yup "
quote courtesy of Stepbrothers movie

Man, I was beginnig to think I was on this island all alone... I have seen your posts and appreciate your your Gilligan enthusiasm @oldskool1969. I have a story to tell about what drew me to this game back in 1991. I'll save it for the end of the restoration posts. It will substantiate the spend.

#167 3 years ago

Here's more of the bottom cab progress

IMG_20201102_102329 (resized).jpgIMG_20201102_102329 (resized).jpg
#168 3 years ago
Quoted from Inferno:

Alrighty, "Just sit right back and you'll see a restoration...." I've been busy. Cab comes first. Here are a few b4 and afters of the inside of the lower cab. Note coin door lock bar damage, liquid damage of some type. This thing was and filthy.....In dire need of a rescue...
Ordered the nextgen graphics from the classic arcade dude on eBay. Ordered body paint to mach the blue hue of the new vinyl. Added a pin fidelity sub. Away we go on the three hour tour.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Dude, toss the new in cab leg brackets. Much better

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/01-11400-1

#169 3 years ago

Funny I was looking at those last night and thinking... Hmmm... I should get them...
Good looking out. Thanks!

#170 3 years ago

Some b4 n afters of the backbox. Everything was sanded smooth filled/repaired and repainted. I switched out the black t-moulding trim for yellow trim, and likely will do something different for the speaker grills and speaker housing. The factory black housing with the chrome trim always looked out of place for me.

IMG_20201102_103109 (resized).jpgIMG_20201102_103109 (resized).jpgIMG_20201102_103345 (resized).jpgIMG_20201102_103345 (resized).jpg
#171 3 years ago

That Yellow T mold looks great. Makes it pop a bit.

I have a trashed Gilligan cabinet, but have the artwork in hand. Maybe ill tackle this project next. (may have to order Yellow T mold

#172 3 years ago

Some more progress on the backbox.

IMG_20201107_193226 (resized).jpgIMG_20201107_193226 (resized).jpg
#173 3 years ago

I was debating adding some airbrushed ship steering wheels to the speaker grills, but I lack said airbrush and the cricut or similar device to produce a stencil for this endeavor. For now I'm going to try led light rings by @litepinballmods. Outstanding customer service from Chuck over there btw. Can't wait to try them out.

Other things I've been doing include rebuilding the jet bumpers, cleaning under playfield, replacing solenoids. After which I'm going to strip the top of the play field and wax her up.
Got a ton of new metal and plastic hardware I'm going to replace up top. And... just one more item due from the powder coat shop tomorrow. Depending on progress this weekend, we're getting close.

1 week later
#174 3 years ago

Screening the back.

IMG_20201121_111545 (resized).jpgIMG_20201121_111545 (resized).jpgIMG_20201121_234957__01 (resized).jpgIMG_20201121_234957__01 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#175 3 years ago

RIP Dawn Wells I'm going to play a game of Gilligan's island for you tonight.

#176 3 years ago
Quoted from kguenther6:

RIP Dawn Wells I'm going to play a game of Gilligan's island for you tonight.

Me too. RIP Dawn. Really nice lady.

I'm thinking Ginger is the only castway left, though she's not on the pinball.

Here's the GI theme song combined with a more recent pinball theme.

#177 3 years ago

She is joining me now on Gilligan's heaven

#178 3 years ago

Yes...RIP Mary Ann. And in honor of her contribution to Gilligan's Island - here's some pics of the now completed build from the above posts.
Added:
Color DMD
Speaker Led light rings and shooter rod illumination
Trough illumination
Lava Seltzer hole illumination
Tilt art blades
Powder coated apron, shooter cover and rails
Powder coated lock bar and legs
PDI Glass
Pin fidelity speakers
Pin sound audio board
Ordered a replacement set of plastics from pinball center
--------------------------------------
On deck I plan on adding custom lights for Kona's eyes

And as a side project, I ripped all 70+ episodes of GI and extracted over 700 sound bytes from ALL the castaways. I plan on creating a custom sound package with Pinsound. Adding call outs, jingles, and music.

I had a lot of fun going through this machine. Spent WAY more $$ than I originally thought, but like I tell my wife, it keeps me out of trouble....

IMG_20201227_104648 (resized).jpgIMG_20201227_104648 (resized).jpgIMG_20201220_103954 (resized).jpgIMG_20201220_103954 (resized).jpgIMG_20210102_155613 (resized).jpgIMG_20210102_155613 (resized).jpgIMG_20210102_155627__01 (resized).jpgIMG_20210102_155627__01 (resized).jpgIMG_20210102_125901__01 (resized).jpgIMG_20210102_125901__01 (resized).jpgIMG_20210102_125918__01 (resized).jpgIMG_20210102_125918__01 (resized).jpgIMG_20210102_160237__01 (resized).jpgIMG_20210102_160237__01 (resized).jpgIMG_20210102_114949 (resized).jpgIMG_20210102_114949 (resized).jpgIMG_20210102_115042 (resized).jpgIMG_20210102_115042 (resized).jpg
#179 3 years ago

Nice work!!

#180 3 years ago

Thanks!

#181 3 years ago

Hello my little buddies

Doing a shop on my Gilligan , whats the best way to remove Kona ( Do i need to remove the playfield ? )

#182 3 years ago
Quoted from criss:

Hello my little buddies
Doing a shop on my Gilligan , whats the best way to remove Kona ( Do i need to remove the playfield ? )

I wish I could help you but my Gilligan is missing the Kona. I just have a picture of one taped to the back of my playfield If anyone has an extra Kona they would like to sell let me know.

#183 3 years ago
Quoted from kguenther6:

I wish I could help you but my Gilligan is missing the Kona. I just have a picture of one taped to the back of my playfield If anyone has an extra Kona they would like to sell let me know.

Ask and ye shall receive....

IMG_3084 (resized).jpegIMG_3084 (resized).jpeg
#184 3 years ago
Quoted from jtaudio:

Ask and ye shall receive....

[quoted image]

Awesome! PM sent!

#185 3 years ago

I need a Kona too. Mine is in two pieces and have been looking for one for 3 years.

#186 3 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

I need a Kona too. Mine is in two pieces and have been looking for one for 3 years.

Good luck with the search. At least you have one. I had a picture of one taped to the back of my pin. Thanks to jtaudio I have one on the way. jtaudio was great to deal with and shipped quickly. Unfortunately the tracking number shows it lost in the mail right now . I hope they find it soon. I'll post before and after pics if the US post office ever gets it to me. Thanks again jtaudio! I'm looking forward to getting it.

#187 3 years ago

Everyone let Larry at starshipfantasy know your desire for a Kona head. He made the white water mountains and can make this.
I messaged him and said he could ad it to the list. No time soon, so the more that let him know the better.

#188 3 years ago

ooooohhhhhh
I would love a new one

#189 3 years ago

Joined the club today. Needs to be clean and what not. But it was a smoking deal.

#190 3 years ago

Before I had a Kona I had a picture of one tapped to the back. Thank you jtaudio for the real Kona mountain! It took a while for the mail to deliver it but well worth the wait. Here are before and after pics.

20210119_164737 (resized).jpg20210119_164737 (resized).jpg20210119_171330 (resized).jpg20210119_171330 (resized).jpg
#191 3 years ago

Gilligan approves

#192 3 years ago
Quoted from kguenther6:

Before I had a Kona I had a picture of one tapped to the back. Thank you jtaudio for the real Kona mountain! It took a while for the mail to deliver it but well worth the wait. Here are before and after pics.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Wow, nice Kona! Would love one like that, but not the paper one.

#193 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Everyone let Larry at starshipfantasy know your desire for a Kona head. He made the white water mountains and can make this.
I messaged him and said he could ad it to the list. No time soon, so the more that let him know the better.

I would dig a new Kona too. I had to do a repair on mine with plastIX. I will also message the starshipfantasy guy. Perhaps if we band together and show enough interest, we can move us up on the priority list

#194 3 years ago
Quoted from Jon9508:

Joined the club today. Needs to be clean and what not. But it was a smoking deal.

nice - welcome aboard - what'd it set you back?

#195 3 years ago
Quoted from Inferno:

nice - welcome aboard - what'd it set you back?

400 bucks.
It was in an old couples house. They bought it new back in the 90s. Set unplayed for the longest time. Plastics are still clear and not yellowed. Pretty amazing. Just has the ramp hold coiled bad. Everything else seems to be working.

16111425316667976447273533317267 (resized).jpg16111425316667976447273533317267 (resized).jpg
#196 3 years ago
Quoted from Jon9508:

400 bucks.
It was in an old couples house. They bought it new back in the 90s. Set unplayed for the longest time. Plastics are still clear and not yellowed. Pretty amazing. Just has the ramp hold coiled bad. Everything else seems to be working. [quoted image]

SWEET!

#197 3 years ago
Quoted from Jon9508:

400 bucks.
It was in an old couples house. They bought it new back in the 90s. Set unplayed for the longest time. Plastics are still clear and not yellowed. Pretty amazing. Just has the ramp hold coiled bad. Everything else seems to be working. [quoted image]

Awesome deal! Why do these kind of deals never happen to me?

If you're doing a complete teardown, can you make a scan of the playfield? A lot of people have wear areas that need repair.

#198 3 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

Awesome deal! Why do these kind of deals never happen to me?
If you're doing a complete teardown, can you make a scan of the playfield? A lot of people have wear areas that need repair.

That's as far as I was going. Wasn't going to remove the rail or the plastic post. As they are still clean. I can take a picture of what ever. But I have no way to scan anything.

1 week later
#199 3 years ago
Quoted from Jon9508:

400 bucks.

Friggin deal of the century. Congrats!

#200 3 years ago

Finally got it working. Had to replace the chip and both transistors to get the ramp working. Seems to be pretty solid now. Not sure if it's going to be a keeper or not.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Navarre, FL
There are 391 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gilligans-island-skipper-club/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.